Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,130 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie - Family (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie (47573 Views)

I Think I Think Too Much... Is This Normal?? / Please Help My Friend Save A Strong Woman / My Friend Engaged In A Remarkable Way To A Gorgeous Woman See Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jun 01, 2015
@innervoice: i am going to respond to your post as good as i can but pls bear with me if my post doesn't answer all of your questions. I am using a platform that is not too effective and flexible.

You are asking if boys have ever been exempted from school. My dear, Boys have been deliberately and indeliberately denied education, fact!

Your question is bringing up the old and false narative that feminists have succeeded in cementing into the psyche of the society.

Truth is...before the man concieved, organized and established school, there were no schools, fact! He had to travel long distances, risk all he could in order to get knowledge and when he got it, he sat down to organize and taught them.

In Nigeria, there has never been any active policy in place to deny women education. If you tell me that in those days, women would be told to drop out for the boy to go to school at a time when there was no enough money, then i will tell you that at that time also, boys who wanted to go to school were seen as lazy and do not want to help out on the farm hence, they were refused school fees by their parents. They had no choice but to go to the mission house and the priest would sponsor them. This is what happened to my own father. His brothers were seen as the good boys because they prefered farms to school. That won the heart of their father and my father was refused school fees.

Like Jonathan, he had no shoe! Schools were far way. They had to walk long distance in the scotching sun of Northern Nigeria. If the sun feels too hot on their legs, they would cut broad leaves by the side of the roads and stand on it, then they move on after some time. That's how men went to school! I am sure you guys have been told similar stories by your parents or grand parents.

African societies have always given education to both boys and girls. It is important we understand what education means; that it is not always the formal thing we got in schools and organized centres. Education takes different forms as we move from one society to the other. In much of subsaharan Africa, it was informal. Education is given by all societies so as to prepare the people so they can be relevant to that society. As beautiful as modern physics, engineering and computing are, the people in pre, colonial and a little bit post colonial Africa never needed it. That's why their INFORMAL curriculum never emphasized all of that. Of what use was the computer scientist going to be in village Africa at that time? They would sure need more farmers, philosophers (story tellers), historians, fishermen, artistes and performers etc. That's what their informal curriculum focused on. And boys and girls were given these education. Some of the skills and knowledge may have been gender bias, but others like: phiosophy, history, medicine, religion etc, were gender neutral. If as a feminist you believe only skills that didn't give political and economic power were what was given to women and you begin to jealous men, i suggest, like the Afar boy in rural Ethiopia, pick up a spear and go attack a lion that threatenes your livestock. Old Africa gave education to both boys and girls, fact!

The change came in when western education came around and society started moving from rural-agrarian to urban industralized. Suddenly, the man realized the farm doesn't give political and economic power anymore and as part of his adventuousness and quest for fulfilment, which are an integral part of him and not a social construct (i am NEVER GOING TO DEBATE THIS), he went to school at all cost, even if it means being branded a deviant, lazy and disrespectful like i explained above; even if his school fees were not going to be paid; even if he had to work and pay for it like he is even doing today! Fact still remains that most of the people paying their school fees are still males! An some people like Chimamanda is still being obsessed about a false male privilege. It is important to note that at that point, not many ladies showed interest in formal western education. Why should they? Why should most people, especially when they did not need to read and write to be able to function properly in their rural-agrarian society? Yes, i said "most people" because initially, and at independence, only 7percent of Nigerians were literate. And that means of the 93percent illitrates, men could account for about 46percent.

You can get angry all you want about my assertion that women are 'grounded' by nature hence their intrinsic desire for stability and security. They don't seem to be worried about this and they don't have to. It is also natural that are 'grounded' as such. Evolution frees them for that. That's why if mars becomes inhabitable today but still presents harsh condition, most people who will go there are start a life even in that harsh condition would still be men.

7 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by bukatyne(f): 5:40pm On Jun 01, 2015
babygirlfl:

As long as you are not telling women to submit, pretend and massage a man's ego, you are putting the men down.

Stillfire:

Buhahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure he would explain What he means.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by babygirlfl: 7:03pm On Jun 01, 2015
It does not matter how intelligent a lie sounds. It's still a lie. How can somebody actually believe that Africa never denied women education. We don't need history books to prove that indeed women were denied education because some women who were affected still happen to be alive. Most people have grandmas and Auntys who will tell you that their father denied them education simply because they were women.

3 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by 5minsmadness: 7:35pm On Jun 01, 2015

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by 5minsmadness: 7:39pm On Jun 01, 2015
craziebone:
@innervoice: i am going to respond to your post as good as i can but pls bear with me if my post doesn't answer all of your questions. I am using a platform that is not too effective and flexible.

You are asking if boys have ever been exempted from school. My dear, Boys have been deliberately and indeliberately denied education, fact!

Your question is bringing up the old and false narative that feminists have succeeded in cementing into the psyche of the society.

Truth is...before the man concieved, organized and established school, there were no schools, fact! He had to travel long distances, risk all he could in order to get knowledge and when he got it, he sat down to organize and taught them.

In Nigeria, there has never been any active policy in place to deny women education. If you tell me that in those days, women would be told to drop out for the boy to go to school at a time when there was no enough money, then i will tell you that at that time also, boys who wanted to go to school were seen as lazy and do not want to help out on the farm hence, they were refused school fees by their parents. They had no choice but to go to the mission house and the priest would sponsor them. This is what happened to my own father. His brothers were seen as the good boys because they prefered farms to school. That won the heart of their father and my father was refused school fees.

Like Jonathan, he had no shoe! Schools were far way. They had to walk long distance in the scotching sun of Northern Nigeria. If the sun feels too hot on their legs, they would cut broad leaves by the side of the roads and stand on it, then they move on after some time. That's how men went to school! I am sure you guys have been told similar stories by your parents or grand parents.

African societies have always given education to both boys and girls. It is important we understand what education means; that it is not always the formal thing we got in schools and organized centres. Education takes different forms as we move from one society to the other. In much of subsaharan Africa, it was informal. Education is given by all societies so as to prepare the people so they can be relevant to that society. As beautiful as modern physics, engineering and computing are, the people in pre, colonial and a little bit post colonial Africa never needed it. That's why their INFORMAL curriculum never emphasized all of that. Of what use was the computer scientist going to be in village Africa at that time? They would sure need more farmers, philosophers (story tellers), historians, fishermen, artistes and performers etc. That's what their informal curriculum focused on. And boys and girls were given these education. Some of the skills and knowledge may have been gender bias, but others like: phiosophy, history, medicine, religion etc, were gender neutral. If as a feminist you believe only skills that didn't give political and economic power were what was given to women and you begin to jealous men, i suggest, like the Afar boy in rural Ethiopia, pick up a spear and go attack a lion that threatenes your livestock. Old Africa gave education to both boys and girls, fact!

The change came in when western education came around and society started moving from rural-agrarian to urban industralized. Suddenly, the man realized the farm doesn't give political and economic power anymore and as part of his adventuousness and quest for fulfilment, which are an integral part of him and not a social construct (i am NEVER GOING TO DEBATE THIS), he went to school at all cost, even if it means being branded a deviant, lazy and disrespectful like i explained above; even if his school fees were not going to be paid; even if he had to work and pay for it like he is even doing today! Fact still remains that most of the people paying their school fees are still males! An some people like Chimamanda is still being obsessed about a false male privilege. It is important to note that at that point, not many ladies showed interest in formal western education. Why should they? Why should most people, especially when they did not need to read and write to be able to function properly in their rural-agrarian society? Yes, i said "most people" because initially, and at independence, only 7percent of Nigerians were literate. And that means of the 93percent illitrates, men could account for about 46percent.

You can get angry all you want about my assertion that women are 'grounded' by nature hence their intrinsic desire for stability and security. They don't seem to be worried about this and they don't have to. It is also natural that are 'grounded' as such. Evolution frees them for that. That's why if mars becomes inhabitable today but still presents harsh condition, most people who will go there are start a life even in that harsh condition would still be men.

Well said!
[img]http://media./media/NnGGHE0muVqpO/giphy.gif[/img]

5 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by cococandy(f): 7:43pm On Jun 01, 2015
babygirlfl:
It does not matter how intelligent a lie sounds. It's still a lie. How can somebody actually believe that Africa never denied women education. We don't need history books to prove that indeed women were denied education because some women who were affected still happen to be alive. Most people have grandmas and Auntys who will tell you that their father denied them education simply because they were women.
anybody that begins a contrary argument against feminism by saying women were never marginalized immediately loses my attention.
If your starting line is a lie, the rest is not worth reading. So I Skip and pass.

5 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jun 01, 2015
5minsmadness:

grin

Whatever eases your conscience bro wink
grin grin grin grin cool
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by babygirlfl: 8:01pm On Jun 01, 2015
cococandy:
anybody that begins a contrary argument against feminism by saying women were never marginalized immediately loses my attention.
If your starting line is a lie, the rest is not worth reading. So I Skip and pass.

I should do that a bit more.

5 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jun 01, 2015
cococandy:
Don't mind them.

Having been to my Village, almost all the educated people above 70years are men.

My late grandfather wasn't educated because he preferred farming but his brother which I met alive was, and he spoke fluent english language.

My late grandmother grew up alongside two brothers and a sister; she and her sister never went to school but her brothers did.
These guys are pathetic liars. Not like some female didn't go to school, anyway, but in a class of 100students those days, you'll find out that about 98pupils were male and 2female and not because feminine gender have/had an apathy for education.
Other females were told, "their education end in kitchen", so, no need to see four walls of classroom.

Err', only few were lucky though!.

6 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 01, 2015
bukatyne:

Who is the group she's putting down?

Men?

Does saying men and women are equal translate to putting men down?

that's just a near by hole into which feminists run to hide anytime their excesses are being pointed out to them. They become ashamed of their hate and run back like a threatened rat into that hole.

When you say men need to be made to feel GUILTY to balance work and family, that shows deep sitting hate and jealousy somewhere. A hate and jealousy deeply rooted in deliberate ignorance an denial. Fact is...men have always been asked how they balance work and family? You think Omotola's husband wasn't askedthe same thing? The last time i went on night journey back home from school, it was the question the main driver had to answer in a discussion that broke out between some of us passangers and the driver. Men who do very demanding jobs are asked that same question. Soldiers, pilots, etc. Truth is...anyone that does demanding job will get asked that question. Women who do not do demanding jobs don't get asked that question so aslo men who do not too demanding jobs. But no, Chimamnda won't see that, better still, she saw it and decided to over look it. And that's why i said it is a deliberate ignorance or denial.

You think she was encouraging men to spend more time at home to take care of the kids? I am not a big fool, my dear Bukynte. She used the word "guilt" for crying out loud and that's a negative word. It is associated with hate and resentment. The lady chimamanda may be a literary icon, but she is capable of hate and bitterness.

Do women or anyone else feel guilty when asked the curious question "how do you manage work and family?" i can tell you that no one feels any guilt. The only ones who say they feel guilty are the ones like chimamanda who sees gender in all things! Just as only her saw gender in "...you are a small girl". I have already proven it from my first post in this thread that she is obsessed with the idea feminism and we just can't take such people's words without looking closely at them. You put someone down every single time you attack their conscience and you make them to feel guilty for what they never had a hand in. It is simple for you to pretend you do not get me and that's because you are at the other side of the divide. Every single time you claim someone has got privileges, you put him down and insult his struggle. Have you ever had to pay your school fees as a secondary or even primary school pupil? Have you ever been left to grow up on your own? If you call it a failure of fatherhood then i will also call it a failure of motherhood! Have you ever been manhandled by the police or even extrajudicially killed just because of your gender? If you doubt me, why don't you take a strole to the anatomy department of your school and count the dead bodies having bullet holes. See how many are males and how many are females. You think they are all guilty? Even if they are a suspect, what happenes to innocent until proven guilty?

A young lion is expeled from the pride as soon as he begins to grow the mane (hair around the head). Even though now he is a bit bigger than his sisters of the same litter, you can see he is still a boy. The period between his departure from the pride and the time he teams with another male to win a pride, how was he living really? How did such a young cub survive the dangerous jungle? Nobody knows! And that's because nat geo wild doesn't care very much. You can see that this attitude of "the man doesn't matter" is also in our attitude to the male animal too.

I am not saying some should come and help us, no! In fact, how do you want to begin to correct it when it is basic? We men are not complaining about it. We see no problem with it. We actually need it to be who we are and who you all TRUELY wish to have (i can prove this point too). The only reason we bring it up is because you accuse us of having privilege. Meanwhile, this thing you call privilege is simply a reward, on a closer observation.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by TV01(m): 8:52pm On Jun 01, 2015
craziebone:
that's just a near by hole into which feminists run to hide anytime their excesses are being pointed out to them. They become ashamed of their hate and run back like a threatened rat into that hole.

Da.y.uum chil' = you on form tonight; introducing a depth and analysis that means lots of holes are needed right now grin. Likes just aren't good enough for some posts.

While you are at it, please explain to them how it would make obvious sense to educate men first were there was an issue of limited resources. They are the ones tasked with maintaining the lineage - taking wives and forming families of their own. And they are the ones who were not just marginalised, but all but ostracised if they didn't have the wherewithal to do so.

It made exact sense and was for the most good. But I suppose that was a time when common sense prevailed and the overall good was always in view. Now we have blindly followed, shoddy ideologies, that focus on the desires of a few at the expense of all.

There were always forms of "customary discrimination" in most societies, and at the real sharp end, it was men that bore the brunt of it.

Good effort dude.

TV

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jun 01, 2015
Craziebone, you are confused. There's nowhere she took an offence been called a small girl.
Maybe you are dyslexic, anyway.
She wrote the old man dissmissed her because she looked younger and she was even grateful because it made her to start wearing make up.
Do you mind pointing where she got riled because of the tag small girl? I can see many hateful verbose in your writeup because you're trying so hard to fit words that are not in her article.

Guess you don't know what exaggeration/hyperbole means in English language/Literature. Feeling guilt doesn't mean a negative statement as you are insinuating, at least, weren't the kids birthed by the woman? Why should she feel surreal and guilty?.
Please keep your fabricated lies to your self.
Even a blind man or woman knows that men aren't asked how they balance home and family in any interview.
Meanwhile, your fellow male commented on this thread, and he wrote, "ASKED MEN HOW THEY BALANCE HOME AND FAMILY?" SHE MUST BE DELUDED. The guy basically admitted what you're stylishly denying.

By the way, only an insecured person scream hating.
It shows how insecured you and some of your fellow male folks are.
Rubbish! undecided

5 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Kay17: 12:55am On Jun 02, 2015
craziebone:

The problem with men like you, is ignorance. Your arguments begin with false premises of what women are. You are suggesting women lack drives to be powerful and successful. For example you said men desired and worked hard at being successful while the women have an intrinsic desire for stability. Where the hell did you discover that?! That was made up!

At least you know men are at a higher level than women in society.

5 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Kay17: 1:43am On Jun 02, 2015
craziebone:

When you say men need to be made to feel GUILTY to balance work and family, that shows deep sitting hate and jealousy somewhere. A hate and jealousy deeply rooted in deliberate ignorance an denial. Fact is...men have always been asked how they balance work and family? You think Omotola's husband wasn't askedthe same thing? The last time i went on night journey back home from school, it was the question the main driver had to answer in a discussion that broke out between some of us passangers and the driver. Men who do very demanding jobs are asked that same question. Soldiers, pilots, etc. Truth is...anyone that does demanding job will get asked that question. Women who do not do demanding jobs don't get asked that question so aslo men who do not too demanding jobs. But no, Chimamnda won't see that, better still, she saw it and decided to over look it. And that's why i said it is a deliberate ignorance or denial.

You think she was encouraging men to spend more time at home to take care of the kids? I am not a big fool, my dear Bukynte. She used the word "guilt" for crying out loud and that's a negative word. It is associated with hate and resentment. The lady chimamanda may be a literary icon, but she is capable of hate and bitterness.

Do women or anyone else feel guilty when asked the curious question "how do you manage work and family?" i can tell you that no one feels any guilt. The only ones who say they feel guilty are the ones like chimamanda who sees gender in all things! Just as only her saw gender in "...you are a small girl". I have already proven it from my first post in this thread that she is obsessed with the idea feminism and we just can't take such people's words without looking closely at them. You put someone down every single time you attack their conscience and you make them to feel guilty for what they never had a hand in. It is simple for you to pretend you do not get me and that's because you are at the other side of the divide. Every single time you claim someone has got privileges, you put him down and insult his struggle. Have you ever had to pay your school fees as a secondary or even primary school pupil? Have you ever been left to grow up on your own? If you call it a failure of fatherhood then i will also call it a failure of motherhood! Have you ever been manhandled by the police or even extrajudicially killed just because of your gender? If you doubt me, why don't you take a strole to the anatomy department of your school and count the dead bodies having bullet holes. See how many are males and how many are females. You think they are all guilty? Even if they are a suspect, what happenes to innocent until proven guilty?

A young lion is expeled from the pride as soon as he begins to grow the mane (hair around the head). Even though now he is a bit bigger than his sisters of the same litter, you can see he is still a boy. The period between his departure from the pride and the time he teams with another male to win a pride, how was he living really? How did such a young cub survive the dangerous jungle? Nobody knows! And that's because nat geo wild doesn't care very much. You can see that this attitude of "the man doesn't matter" is also in our attitude to the male animal too.

I am not saying some should come and help us, no! In fact, how do you want to begin to correct it when it is basic? We men are not complaining about it. We see no problem with it. We actually need it to be who we are and who you all TRUELY wish to have (i can prove this point too). The only reason we bring it up is because you accuse us of having privilege. Meanwhile, this thing you call privilege is simply a reward, on a closer observation.

Taking that gender roles are indeed social constructs, aren't there circumstances whereby a man within a family steps into the typical role of the mother and vice versa for the woman in the absence of such figure due to death or divorce. The reality is that social roles are inherently flexible.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Crystal3214(f): 5:05pm On Jun 02, 2015
lol.....I can't agree less with crazibone tell dem joor......# not a feminist

4 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Crystal3214(f): 5:07pm On Jun 02, 2015
Go on aunty repo tell dem
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by MissMakas(f): 7:28pm On Jun 03, 2015
missterious:

I'm used to his craziness na. grin
Hmm. You are trying oo. That guy seems very crazy in a very lovely way. smiley
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:33pm On Jun 03, 2015
craziebone:

brilliant !
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by kandiikane(m): 8:53pm On Jun 03, 2015
Velocitron:

You could either prove your stance with unbiased scientific studies or you can cling to your victim complex. The choice is yours.

Get out of here with that fake rubbish. How will women work more hours when they refused hours. There is still that mentality that the hours are better given to a man than a woman. I have seen it with my own korokoro eyes, where the male are given longer hours and when the female ask, they give a bullshit excuse about how it's no longer available. Abeg joor! Are you blind to see the women working two to three jobs just to make up hours? Forget major companies, how about everyday small small jobs, i.e bartending, where they will mostly teach the male folk how to work behind the bar which would require longer hours most days but keep the females to do waiting or back of house. Who will refused extra cash, who are they, BIll Gates' daughters? Unless, the women are those with small children with stable partners those statistics are null and void. An excuse.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by missterious(f): 8:59pm On Jun 03, 2015
MissMakas:
Hmm. You are trying oo. That guy seems very crazy in a very lovely way. smiley

He's a wonderful person. I feel blessed. smiley grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by MissMakas(f): 9:24pm On Jun 03, 2015
missterious:

He's a wonderful person. I feel blessed. smiley grin
Awww. That's very loving and romantic of you. smiley

So in what ways is he a wonderful person? What and what does he do? grin
See, you're in for a long thing oo. I'll bombard you with questions. Hope you're ready? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jun 03, 2015
kandiikane:

Get out of here with that fake rubbish. How will women work more hours when they refused hours. There is still that mentality that the hours are better given to a man than a woman. I have seen it with my own korokoro eyes, where the male are given longer hours and when the female ask, they give a bullshit excuse about how it's no longer available. Abeg joor! Are you blind to see the women working two to three jobs just to make up hours? Forget major companies, how about everyday small small jobs, i.e bartending, where they will mostly teach the male folk how to work behind the bar which would require longer hours most days but keep the females to do waiting or back of house. Who will refused extra cash, who are they, BIll Gates' daughters? Unless, the women are those with small children with stable partners those statistics are null and void. An excuse.

I'm honestly confused

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jun 03, 2015
craziebone:

You know, that's one of the reasons I don't admire her as much as I used to.

Thank you one million times! The word 'privilege' is often used to shut people up: "You're privileged so you won't understand". It's silly really.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jun 03, 2015
craziebone:

only Okonjo Iweala and Dora Akunyili will get my vote should they ever want to be president.

I agree with her that a woman doesn't have to be exceptionally good for her to be hired just as men do not have to be exceptionally good to be hired (once again, we are seeing a comparism with the man just to drive home a point. And some people still believe this isn't about man-jealousy). But the truth, which she did not tell you, is that these not exceptionally good men that get hired also put so much effort in pushing their way through.

At the last SUG election here, i see nothing particularly exceptional about the candidtates for president, but the truth is...these people did alot to get their votes. They actually HUSSLED. Why did they have to hussle that much? It is because they are not particularly good. What about Atiku Abubakar? Because he wasn't exceptionally good, he has to hussle in the two elections he contested in. We all know how he had to wrestle with OBJ in order to be able to stand in the 2007 election. We know how much money he threw around. We know he was among those people that nearly ran Oceanic bank into bankrupcy as a result of his political ambition. We also know what he did four years on. We saw his manifesto and campaign ads everywhere. He literally hussled and this is because he is not a formidable political power as such. What are the moderate female political powers doing? They are waiting to be handed the presidency just like that? Are the men being handed the presidency? Even Gowon that was gifted power had to work to keep it. He fought a war for it! We know what Jonathan did in 2011. We also know how much TAN put into his failed reelection bid. This shows these people hussled. Where was KOWA's manifesto anywhere? Can anyone pls mention what her intentions were for Nigeria? Do you even know the woman? Did you see her campaign ads anywhere? She didn't hussle like the other guys did and you want her to become Nigeria's president? The guys wey even hssle sef, where them dey now? But she got substantial number of votes. I think those who voted for her must have read Abimbola Adelakun's (the Punch thursday woman) article when he said: "if you are looking for a PhD president, vote for her; if you feel it doesn't have to be men handing women power, vote for her; if you feel it is commendable of a woman to venture into men's stronghold, vote for her".

I swear, I was thinking the same thing! You're so clever it's ridiculous!
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by kandiikane(m): 11:08pm On Jun 03, 2015
Velocitron:

I'm honestly confused

Did you not say the wage disparity is because women refuse to work longer hours?

If I quoted the wrong person, pardon me.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jun 03, 2015
kandiikane:

Did you not say the wage disparity is because women refuse to work longer hours?

If I quoted the wrong person, pardon me.

On average, women- especially mothers - work fewer hours so they can care for their families. It's one of the major reasons, among others, for the wage disparity. If an employer pays a worker less or more based on their sex, religion etc, it is illegal and can be reported.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by kandiikane(m): 11:28pm On Jun 03, 2015
Velocitron:

On average, women- especially mothers - work fewer hours so they can care for their families. It's one of the major reasons, among others, for the wage disparity. If an employer pays a worker less or more based on their sex, religion etc, it is illegal and can be reported.

So do you think it makes sense for someone else's wages to be more just because you work two hour less than them, doing the same exact job? Does this excuse really make sense to you?

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jun 03, 2015
kandiikane:

So do you think it makes sense for someone else's wages to be more just because you work two hour less than them, doing the same exact job? Does this excuse really make sense to you?

If I work in a job that pays £6 per hour, and I work from 9am to 3pm, and my coworker works from 8am to 6pm. Who do you think gets paid more? Do you see what I mean now?

3 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by kandiikane(m): 1:50am On Jun 04, 2015
Velocitron:

If I work in a job that pays £6 per hour, and I work from 9am to 3pm, and my coworker works from 8am to 6pm. Who do you think gets paid more? Do you see what I mean now?

I saw what you meant and majority is bull. Refer back to my first comment to you. If it is because of mothers, how about the one between black males and whites?
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by missterious(f): 6:01am On Jun 04, 2015
MissMakas:
Awww. That's very loving and romantic of you. smiley

So in what ways is he a wonderful person? What and what does he do? grin
See, you're in for a long thing oo. I'll bombard you with questions. Hope you're ready? cheesy

He's very caring. It sounds like a cliche but it's true. He knows me inside out. It's a disadvantage sometimes because I can't "form" for him again. Lol.

We're derailing oh. Lol.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by openmine(m): 1:34pm On Jun 04, 2015
repogirl:
You are the inferior ones constantly claiming for equality, really think about it, are you equal with a man?
I don't need a man to tell me I am a small girl and then I go find a lipstick, I use one because I feel the need to use one.
I know what I am entitled to, I know my responsibilities as a woman, a sane responsible man knows his, any sane person should. Right, there are some who disrespect women and that is wrong and should be addressed but the line is drawn when you think you are being unjustly oppressed by the world especially when the world is a free place.

I support a fight for your God given rights and not a fight for ridiculousness and I dnt need to make a speech to anyone to be important. No one has enslaved anyone. If you feel enslaved, that's just too bad.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

I Just Had My 4th Child At 26 / Lady Calls Her Mother Who Abandoned Her For 30 Years, Her Reaction Heartbreaking / My Handsome Boy Is A Year Old Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 182
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.