Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,590 members, 7,827,217 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) (60154 Views)

Boarding A Taxi In Lagos? Read This / Dead Stowaway Found On Arik Air Plane In Johannesburg / 11 Mistakes To Avoid When Boarding A Taxicab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by Paulonko(m): 2:19pm On Jun 04, 2015
boxypane:

Y u answer am. Dats y whites keep embarrassing blacks about hiding secrets from blacks by keeping it in a book.
no vex,,i don learn
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jun 04, 2015
achimotan:
3 Airlines sued for disregarding Disability Law
t[b]he Ghana Society of the Physically Disabled (GSPD) has filed a motion on notice, praying the Human Rights Division of the High Court to restrain three local airlines from discriminating against persons with disabilities by way of refusing to sell flight tickets to them.
It is also seeking an interlocutory injunction against the respondents not to deny such persons who desire to travel on their aircraft services, pending the determination of a substantive suit.
The respondents are Antrak Air, Africa World Travel and Starbow Air. Joined to the action is the Ghana Civil Aviation Authority, who the applicant wish the court would restrain from overlooking, and or refusing to ensure that the other respondents comply with Section 28 (1) of the Persons with Disability Act, 2006 (Act 715).[/b][/b]
Section 28 (1) of Act 715 states that: “The Civil Aviation Authority and any other authority responsible for the management of a port shall provide facilities that will aid the movement of a person with disability at the port”.
An affidavit in support of the motion and deposed by Mr Elvis Kosi Alikpui, a member of the society, said the applicant had caused a writ of summons to be issued against the respondents jointly and severally, which had been duly served on them.
According to the affidavit, the applicant had reliably been informed from a more reliable source that the three respondent airlines, after being served with the writ of summons and statement of claim and having been aggrieved and embarrassed by the action, had decided to take some steps to also embarrass and deny their services to members of the applicant.
It said the applicant had been informed that the three airlines had vowed not to make their services accessible to any of the applicant’s members and or persons with disability as a whole.
The affidavit expressed the belief that if the three airlines were allowed to continue with their discriminatory acts, it would not be only members of the applicant organisation that would suffer, but also other innocent persons with a disability.
The plaintiff is being represented by Dr Kwaku Nsiah, an Accra-based lawyer.
Reaction
When contacted, an official of Antrak Airline said, “We handle passengers with reduced mobility, although there are categories that we are unable to accept for carriage since we do not have the equipment to handle such, and may add more complications to passengers if compromised.”
The official said it could handle passengers requiring wheelchairs for ramp and for distance to and from the aircraft.
What we cannot do

[b]The airline official, however, said, “We are unable to process the following: “Wheelchair for Stairs ( WCHS). Passenger is unable to ascend/descend steps, but is able to make own way to/from cabin seat, requires wheel chair for distance to/from aircraft and must be carried up and down the stairs.
“Wheelchair for Cabin Seat (WCHC). Passenger is completely immobile; requires wheelchair to/from aircraft and must be carried up/down steps and to/from the cabin seat,” the statement said.
“The codes above are International Air Transport Association (IATA) Standard of categorisation of Wheelchair passenger(s) and wheelchair for Ramp (WCHR) is the category of Wheelchair passenger(s) Antrak Air carries. The passenger in question is a Wheelchair for Cabin Seat (WCHC) and Antrak Air cannot carry,” it said.
Need for advanced notice
On the part of Africa World Travel, the Operation Officer of the company, Mr Apigy Afednu, insisted that his company was on record for airlifting persons with disabilities and could not explain why it was jointly sued.
He, however, explained that for people in that category, there was the need for forehand knowledge to enable the airline to put in place the needed facilities. Mr Afednu emphasised that safety was paramount in the airline industry, stressing that “Normally, when you call to buy an air ticket, we ask you a lot of leading questions, for instance if you have a special need.
“If you do not declare in advance that you are disabled and all of a sudden you appear, and you are wheelchair bound, we cannot do much,” he said.[/b]
Mr Afednu said the association should have sought for an amicable solution instead of resorting to the law court.
achimotan:
3 Airlines sued for disregarding Disability Law
t[b]he Ghana Society of the Physically Disabled (GSPD) has filed a motion on notice, praying the Human Rights Division of the High Court to restrain three local airlines from discriminating against persons with disabilities by way of refusing to sell flight tickets to them.
It is also seeking an interlocutory injunction against the respondents not to deny such persons who desire to travel on their aircraft services, pending the determination of a substantive suit.
The respondents are Antrak Air, Africa World Travel and Starbow Air. Joined to the action is the Ghana Civil Aviation Authority, who the applicant wish the court would restrain from overlooking, and or refusing to ensure that the other respondents comply with Section 28 (1) of the Persons with Disability Act, 2006 (Act 715).[/b][/b]
Section 28 (1) of Act 715 states that: “The Civil Aviation Authority and any other authority responsible for the management of a port shall provide facilities that will aid the movement of a person with disability at the port”.
An affidavit in support of the motion and deposed by Mr Elvis Kosi Alikpui, a member of the society, said the applicant had caused a writ of summons to be issued against the respondents jointly and severally, which had been duly served on them.
According to the affidavit, the applicant had reliably been informed from a more reliable source that the three respondent airlines, after being served with the writ of summons and statement of claim and having been aggrieved and embarrassed by the action, had decided to take some steps to also embarrass and deny their services to members of the applicant.
It said the applicant had been informed that the three airlines had vowed not to make their services accessible to any of the applicant’s members and or persons with disability as a whole.
The affidavit expressed the belief that if the three airlines were allowed to continue with their discriminatory acts, it would not be only members of the applicant organisation that would suffer, but also other innocent persons with a disability.
The plaintiff is being represented by Dr Kwaku Nsiah, an Accra-based lawyer.
Reaction
When contacted, an official of Antrak Airline said, “We handle passengers with reduced mobility, although there are categories that we are unable to accept for carriage since we do not have the equipment to handle such, and may add more complications to passengers if compromised.”
The official said it could handle passengers requiring wheelchairs for ramp and for distance to and from the aircraft.
What we cannot do

[b]The airline official, however, said, “We are unable to process the following: “Wheelchair for Stairs ( WCHS). Passenger is unable to ascend/descend steps, but is able to make own way to/from cabin seat, requires wheel chair for distance to/from aircraft and must be carried up and down the stairs.
“Wheelchair for Cabin Seat (WCHC). Passenger is completely immobile; requires wheelchair to/from aircraft and must be carried up/down steps and to/from the cabin seat,” the statement said.
“The codes above are International Air Transport Association (IATA) Standard of categorisation of Wheelchair passenger(s) and wheelchair for Ramp (WCHR) is the category of Wheelchair passenger(s) Antrak Air carries. The passenger in question is a Wheelchair for Cabin Seat (WCHC) and Antrak Air cannot carry,” it said.
Need for advanced notice
On the part of Africa World Travel, the Operation Officer of the company, Mr Apigy Afednu, insisted that his company was on record for airlifting persons with disabilities and could not explain why it was jointly sued.
He, however, explained that for people in that category, there was the need for forehand knowledge to enable the airline to put in place the needed facilities. Mr Afednu emphasised that safety was paramount in the airline industry, stressing that “Normally, when you call to buy an air ticket, we ask you a lot of leading questions, for instance if you have a special need.
“If you do not declare in advance that you are disabled and all of a sudden you appear, and you are wheelchair bound, we cannot do much,” he said.[/b]
Mr Afednu said the association should have sought for an amicable solution instead of resorting to the law court.

Good to see this. I must confess that certain Nigerians act without thinking.

The said lady is my friend, we are all members of the Young African Leadership Initiative/Network (YALI/YALN). She's also a fellow of the Mandela Fellowship (formerly called Washington Fellowship). My timeline on twitter is filled with her comments & that of our fellow colleagues.

What the Company did is termed "standard procedure". Although they could have helped her in a way but let's call a spade a spade.
She didn't inform them before arrival that she's disabled & will need her wheelchair. When the airline simply informed her in clear terms that they cannot breach protocol in order for her to board immediately, she flared up.
I understand her anger, but that's not the solution.

She went to twitter to vent her anger against the airline, copying almost all members & fellows. Some in turn decided to start an e-war against the airline. Sending several tweets copying the Ghanaian President as well. (Hw would u feel as a Nigerian if something happens in 9ja 2 a S/African & his colleagues start an e-war tagging PMB?)

She's supposed to head to Tamale (northern Ghana) for an internship. I pity her though but she messed up by not PRE-INFORMING the airline. She even approached others but received same replies (that's according to her o).

Then to the airline (tho I'm yet to get full info from them), they should have somehow had sympathy on her based on her condition & remedied the situation. Them self no too try @ all. Hope this won't give them a bad publicity.

Anyway, Madam Freky, God be with you. Safe stay in Ghana.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 04, 2015
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by Dandeedadrunk(m): 2:20pm On Jun 04, 2015
Matttthew:
Wetin u dey find?

Trek.......

#
You must be mad....don't u have human feelings at all. ...what a senseless Nairalander.....MOST STUPID ELEMENT OF THE YEAR. ..gerrout
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by AlexDeedat(m): 2:22pm On Jun 04, 2015
People should respect Terms and conditions and company's policy cos every organisations are guided by it. I beleived its not on the ground of descrimination. She might have violate or recalcitrant to certain rule(s) of boarding....anyway, cross-country dey available. She shld make use of it.
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by gare(f): 2:24pm On Jun 04, 2015
lalasticlala:

http://www.nigerianmonitor.com/2015/06/04/photo-nigerian-woman-prevented-from-boarding-a-plane-in-ghana-see-why/#

This is discrimination to the highest level, there is no such policy, that does with will chair should not be flown, how about those that are sick and can't walk? It totally wrong and unacceptable, if I were her I would ask my lawyers to take it up with them for the emotional torture she went through, that company policy must be seen .And who approved it ?
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by Matttthew(m): 2:24pm On Jun 04, 2015
Dandeedadrunk:
You must be mad....don't u have human feelings at all. ...what a senseless Nairalander.....MOST STUPID ELEMENT OF THE YEAR. ..gerrout
U must be high just as ur username......

I don't talk with drunkards.
#ShakitiBobo.... tongue
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jun 04, 2015
DuchessLily:

Their policy does not allow that for their own safety. cos their planes have no provision for wheelchair onboard. They r not being wicked.

I'm sure she is alone. Cos they would have allowed her , if she has someone with her to be carrying her up and down
I have no more words.
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by robosky02(m): 2:26pm On Jun 04, 2015
haaa
@Lalastilala

i know that lady very well.
she was a nice person back then on campus UNIPORT she comes to play keyboard for us with her sister Eddidiong Andrew Essien before that accident that confined her to the wheel chair around 2001 or thereabout. so sorry for her. They later went to school in Ghana

but the operators of that airline must be called to order that really not ACCEPTABLE. the nigerian Govt. must do something its a nigerian we are talking about
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by 9jatatafo(m): 2:27pm On Jun 04, 2015
Well it depends on the policy because all airline cannot just refuse her to fly. After all she left Nigeria to Ghana by flight. We need better explanation from expert here please.
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by SambisaaForest: 2:31pm On Jun 04, 2015
YEvil and wiscked people. there are more nigerian airlines, than Ghanaian airlines, flying the Accra-lagos route. the question is did nigerian airlines also refuse to take her? the answer is an obvious yes. so why is the story not about those nigerian airlines that also refused to fly her, instead of focusing on a Ghanaian carrier to score cheap points and manifest their evil intentions? no wonder the average nigerian has an IQ of 2!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by SambisaaForest: 2:35pm On Jun 04, 2015
robosky02:
haaa
@Lalastilala

i know that lady very well.
she was a nice person back then on campus UNIPORT she comes to play keyboard for us with her sister Eddidiong Andrew Essien before that accident that confined her to the wheel chair around 2001 or thereabout. so sorry for her. They later went to school in Ghana

but the operators of that airline must be called to order that really not ACCEPTABLE. the nigerian Govt. must do something its a nigerian we are talking about
and what do you think your govt can do? you better clear the generator fumes from your fragile brain.huh? perhaps you will advise your govt to buy enough planes to be flying nigerians around the world so you don't have to depend on foreign airlines,huh? and what do you have to say about nigerian airlines that also refused to take her?
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by sauceEEP(m): 2:35pm On Jun 04, 2015
I thought priorities are given to the disabled first?
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by Kassidy90(m): 2:35pm On Jun 04, 2015
I don't think the Airline deserved to be blamed they have a policy in place and they are adhering to it, not in Nigeria where they can maneuver anything....
Sorry ma'am, always Read terms n conditions before clicking I AGREE
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by Godson201333(m): 2:38pm On Jun 04, 2015
chiefololade:
Doesn't make any sense.. What if their president had an accident and was amputated, will they tell him not to board a flight. Africans and backwardness.

I tire for them oooo
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by repogirl(f): 2:38pm On Jun 04, 2015
So wheelchair people don't fly in Ghana? I doubt it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by PLEXPLEX(m): 2:40pm On Jun 04, 2015
This is the height of backwardness mehn. Ghana ll be feeling like the r civilized but what backward law is this!?
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by boujaye: 2:43pm On Jun 04, 2015
Ghana, never our brother's keeper
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by robosky02(m): 2:44pm On Jun 04, 2015
SambisaaForest:
and what do you think your govt can do? you better clear the generator fumes from your fragile brain.huh? perhaps you will advise your govt to buy enough planes to be flying nigerians around the world so you don't have to depend on foreign airlines,huh? and what do you have to say about nigerian airlines that also refused to take her?

i hope you are ok cos you sound uncodinated.

am talking of some one that have stood one on one with me, before am accident made her unable to walk cos of some spinal issue. and you are spouwing jagon here.
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by deb(m): 2:46pm On Jun 04, 2015
alienvirus:
Strange. I boarded an airline from Tarkoradi to Accra few weeks ago. A woman was allowed to board without any issue. Even the woman was assisted by the crew.

Well, anything that has to do with Nigeria is usually treated harshly. When is Nigeria getting her lost glory back?

Its pure hate and they will never be as great as Nigeria. Whether they like it or not despite our challenges, Nigeria is a country to reckon with in the world.
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by ManTiger(m): 2:48pm On Jun 04, 2015
DuchessLily:
Respect company/pple's policies

Its only in naija dat anything can happen
That's one kind of crazy policy which is drawing back the whole of Africa.
In the developed countries, physically challenge persons are treated with utter most priority. No wonder we call them developed countries.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by peeta89(m): 2:49pm On Jun 04, 2015
Where is the love?
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by PLEXPLEX(m): 2:51pm On Jun 04, 2015
Kassidy90:
I don't think the Airline deserved to be blamed they have a policy in place and they are adhering to it, not in Nigeria where they can maneuver anything....
Sorry ma'am, always Read terms n conditions before clicking I AGREE

Wat useless anti human policy is that!?
No real Nigerian ll think twice before going round such demonic policy to help for even free. Going round such devilish policy ll definitely attract God blessings.
I just wonder wat on earth or in hell is their reason for making such policies
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by mek2002(m): 2:51pm On Jun 04, 2015
If it were Chinua Achebe, would they refuse him?
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by SambisaaForest: 2:53pm On Jun 04, 2015
na you buy the planes for the airline? what is your business if a Ghanaian airline refused to fly a nigerian? even your own airlines that fly to Accra refused to take the woman so what the fvck are you talking about? self righteous demons. was is not in your pathetic country that a sick Liberian woman died because you wicked people refused to sell food to her of even take her to the hospital when she fell ill. I hate it when some of you nigerians try to behave like you are any better than other people. worse things happen to foreigners in your damn country!

PLEXPLEX:
This is the height of backwardness mehn. Ghana ll be feeling like the r civilized but what backward law is this!?
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by iamord(m): 2:53pm On Jun 04, 2015
repogirl:
So wheelchair people don't fly in Ghana? I doubt it.
u are someone that thinks
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by medoyin(m): 2:56pm On Jun 04, 2015
Which airline is she trying to board? Not sure it can be Ghana Airport Authority. Clarify pls.

It once happened to me, I had to pay $50 for the lift that will carry me on board which is the normal practise. I have never faced such discrimination all through my visit to Ghana.
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by Kassidy90(m): 2:56pm On Jun 04, 2015
PLEXPLEX:

Wat useless anti human policy is that!?
No real Nigerian ll think twice before going round such demonic policy to help for even free. Going round such devilish policy ll definitely attract God blessings.
I just wonder wat on earth or in hell is their reason for making such policies
Yea its anti human but am very sure they have their reasons besides its not all the airlines in Ghana that have that same policy so, we should stop being emotional and always look at things from another perspective before judging ...
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by SirBlack999(m): 3:01pm On Jun 04, 2015
We are always our own problem,if na white,we go dey shout;Racism!!
Re: Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) by chizzy24(m): 3:05pm On Jun 04, 2015
Matttthew:
Wetin u dey find?

Trek.......

#
RAM like U

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Woman Does Conductor For Her Husband While He Drives (photo) / Lagos Conductor Sleeping On Duty While Car Is Moving / My Trip To Calabar and Akwa Ibom From Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.