Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,325 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:50 AM

Must Marriage Be About Love? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must Marriage Be About Love? (6616 Views)

Which Of These Would Marriage Be Based On? / What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission / Question About Love Making For Married Couples Above 5 Years! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jun 05, 2015
This thread is an offshoot from a conversation somewhere else and I think it deserves it's own full discussion because it's an interesting one
Why do people marry?
What are the various driving forces that makes one want to be married and what factors dictate the person we decide to marry?

I remember some years ago on a forum,a lady argued that sometimes marriages could just be for convenience and it was OK.She made me see a perspective I had never before considered.
For instance ,a woman is getting older,approaching 40 and has a good career going but no suitors and she eventually marries a man one would consider to be well beneath her status,physically and economically.
One might wonder why she would " stoop that low just to marry".
However,considering that the clock is ticking by, she needs a husband ,she finds one who is willing to both be married and also raise his economic status by the marriage,it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing she argued, or would it?
It will be good if love was in the mix but if not and the marriage serves the purpose they both desired,Is it wrong?

What do you all say?
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jun 05, 2015
I am not married, I just want to learn. Btw, love is grossly overrated.

Space Booked

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Mynd44: 7:04pm On Jun 05, 2015
Heheheh

4 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by jaybee3(m): 7:06pm On Jun 05, 2015
Initially YES but to stay in it both parties have to be comfortable with the terms and conditions.

In other words, most long term marriages are of convenience rather than love.

1 Like

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jun 05, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Cutehector(m): 7:09pm On Jun 05, 2015
standd:
I am not married, I just want to learn. Btw, love is grossly overrated.

Space Booked
the annoying part of it is that we must still fall in its trap
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by bukatyne(f): 7:09pm On Jun 05, 2015
@OP:

No
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Cutehector(m): 7:10pm On Jun 05, 2015
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Sveen: 7:11pm On Jun 05, 2015
If all marriage is about, why then, do we have contract marriage?
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Ewuro4: 7:15pm On Jun 05, 2015
Must?

NO.
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by AdeniyiA(m): 7:16pm On Jun 05, 2015
standd:
I am not married, I just want to learn. Btw, love marriage is grossly overrated.

Space Booked
marry me and let us STANDD together wink, on d contrary ,True love can never be overrated

1 Like

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by UjSizzle(f): 7:16pm On Jun 05, 2015
Nonso23:
There is no such thing as love smiley
A life without love is empty.

5 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jun 05, 2015
I can only speak for myself. Of all things I'll consider before getting married, love is certainly not one of them. And of all things that's going to keep my marriage going, love is the least of them.

Mum's a nurse and I'll certainly like to get married to a nurse. That's all that matters to me. Love in my opinion is too erratic to base my marriage on. After all, it's just the brain playing tricks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by cococandy(f): 7:21pm On Jun 05, 2015
For me yes.
I'm a lovebird and I don't think I'll really be happy in the true sense of happiness if I believe my partner isn't married to me because of love.

But I know people marry for their reasons which are sorta kinda ok when analyzed from their POV. Maybe when I'm 40 I'll understand.

3 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by raumdeuter: 7:21pm On Jun 05, 2015
Marrying for love is a recent phenomenon and a romantic idea

And if we would ask What is love itself?

Love is a very transient feeling that isnt enough to last. Most of us here had some bf and lovers in the past we felt we loved and we would die if we dont see them. Years later everyone has found his/her level and you wonder what you were thinking

5 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Dyt(f): 7:22pm On Jun 05, 2015
Babymama1
What is your own all about?

3 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jun 05, 2015
Two people can sustain a home on solid finances, mutual respect, trust, loyalty, understanding and mutual interest....oh, I forgot to add plain old lust.

It's high time we stopped deceiving ourselves with love cheesy

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by UjSizzle(f): 7:23pm On Jun 05, 2015
I think that convenience is a good reason. Perhaps the sum of all possible reasons we can imagine.

Companionship, a feeling of incompleteness, societal pressure (status and children), legitimate sex to fulfill some religious law--- all boils down to convenience. If we could isolate each reason listed and eliminate others then I imagine a good number of the world's population would find marriage unnecessary.
If one didn't feel the need for a companion and society pressure isn't a factor, then why would marriage even become necessary?

Reminds me of someone who said all our actions are motivated by selfish interest.
(topic for another discussion Babymama? tongue)
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by cococandy(f): 7:23pm On Jun 05, 2015
Are you rich?

My younger sister is a nurse. (We are a family of nurses too)
If you're going to marry for profession, she might as well marry you for your money grin

rationalmind:
I can only speak for myself. Of all things I'll consider before getting married, love is certainly not one of them. And of all things that's going to keep my marriage going, love is the least of them.

Mum's a nurse and I'll certainly like to get married to a nurse. That's all that matters to me. Love in my opinion is too erratic to base my marriage on. After all, it's just the brain playing tricks.

8 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jun 05, 2015
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jun 05, 2015
cococandy:
Are you rich?

My younger sister is a nurse. (We are a family of nurses too)
If you're going to marry for profession, she might as well marry you for your money grin

I can conveniently pay my bills. Does that qualify as rich? cheesy
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by raumdeuter: 7:26pm On Jun 05, 2015
Everyone has a condition for "love". Some its big breastt, Some big nyansh some specific level of education, some financial security, some certain physical attributes etc. So your "love" is conditional on these

The person you claimed you love, if they take these factors away from him/her, would you still love the person?

1 Like

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 05, 2015
Nonso23:

What is love ?

Love is the feeling you get when you suck on very ripe and juicy mango cheesy

Love is giving and not asking to take.

Love is smiling at that little beggar girl on your way to work, touching her cheeks and giving her a plate of hot food.

Love is NOT what some random men feel when they want to dance kerewa, that's lust. Forget all the lofty promises.

Love is not what flutters in that girls stomach when she knows your salary is enough to take care of her needs, she only wants security.

Love in relationships and marriages is practically non-existent.. Yes, it may visit for a while but reality and life will finally push it out...

Don't blame me, I don't read Mills&Boon and I don't watch telenovelas.

9 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by cococandy(f): 7:33pm On Jun 05, 2015
rationalmind:

I can conveniently pay my bills. Does that qualify as rich? cheesy
no angry

not just bills. Fancy stuff, vacations in the Bahamas, luxury cars.... erm erm stuff like that

If you gotta be picky about the profession you marry from, you gotta be able to satisfy a picky wife too. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by SAMBARRY: 7:34pm On Jun 05, 2015
Adjusting my glasses.

Ok now

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jun 05, 2015
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Acidosis(m): 7:36pm On Jun 05, 2015
We only fall in love with personality. You can love Chamberlain/Christabel and still hate his/her character.

That's the reason Chioma, a Deeper Life girl can fall in love with 2face, a womaniser. The fact that Chioma loves 2face doesn't mean she loves cheating, womanising, and beer.

So before you marry that guy/girl, ask yourself:
1. Can I endure her inability to say "sorry"
2. He hardly say "Thank you" each time I give him gifts, can I bare this nefarious attitude?
3. He has a terrible culinary & eating habit, can I bare this?

When you marry someone with a bad attitude in the name of LOVE and you know deep down within yourself that you do not have the strength and tolerance to accept the inadequacies; truth is: complaints, nagging and ingratitude won't be far from the home.

However, count yourself LUCKY when you meet someone you LOVE truly with a good ATTITUDE. The problem with this option is that its very rare smiley Finding true love itself is hard; let alone sharing love mutually & exclusively (i.e. no intruder/side chick/ex-factor).

In any case, you can always marry someone you feel you 'love', whose attitude you like and can tolerate.

2 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by SAMBARRY: 7:36pm On Jun 05, 2015

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by SAMBARRY: 7:38pm On Jun 05, 2015

No interruptions please

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by SAMBARRY: 7:39pm On Jun 05, 2015

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 05, 2015
cococandy:
no angry

not just bills. Fancy stuff, vacations in the Bahamas, luxury cars.... erm erm stuff like that

If you gotta be picky about the profession you marry from, you gotta be able to satisfy a picky wife too. tongue

You just nailed it with the bolded. cheesy why else do you think I'm still single?

By the way, money might not matter to your sister. She might have childhood dreams of getting married to an Engineer. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by VickJames(m): 7:40pm On Jun 05, 2015
Wake me up when love solves any problem in marriage

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

. / What Men Want According To Comedian Chris Rock.. / She Is A Housewife, She Doesn't Work???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.