Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,595 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Must Marriage Be About Love? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must Marriage Be About Love? (6657 Views)

Which Of These Would Marriage Be Based On? / What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission / Question About Love Making For Married Couples Above 5 Years! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by UjSizzle(f): 8:36pm On Jun 05, 2015
Nonso23:

What is love ?
Deal with others as you would with yourself.
Deal with others as Christ with us.

Love is forgiveness and second chances.
Love is rebuke in the face of wrong.
Love is sharing laughter and pain.
Love is vulnerability and strength.
Love is sacrifice.
Love is the most powerful charm there is.

Love is many things and love grows. We haven't fully mastered it as human but we're learning. And when we learn to become less self-conscious and stop placing strict expectations on one another we just might reach perfection.
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jun 05, 2015
@OP, some will marry for reasons far from love, and along the way, they grow in love. And some will claim to be in love, when we all know that the feeling of 'love' is just a short infusion of hormones that will erode with time. The things that sustain long-term marriages and relationships are more solid and deeply rooted than this hormone-induced love...
So, if I LUST a man enough, and we both make enough money to keep body and soul together, plus we respect ourselves, have mutual interest, stay loyal and trustworthy through the years, then I will gladly marry him...
Love to me, is just like religion cheesycheesygrin BIG BIG English to confuse the people grin

My opinion oh.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by snakebeat: 8:39pm On Jun 05, 2015
standd:

Teach me, I want to learn.
How much will u pay? smiley

@raumdeuter
U're right...
'LOVE' is a value-laden word. So it's subjective...
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Mynd44: 8:39pm On Jun 05, 2015
UjSizzle:

Love is sacrifice.

Love is many things and love grows. We haven't fully mastered it as human but we're learning. And when we learn to become less self-conscious and stop placing strict expectations on one another we just might reach perfection.
Why will anyone wanna reach perfection? Yuck!
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jun 05, 2015
UjSizzle:

Love is sacrifice.

What did I just say? Love is all these BIG BIG English abi grin
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by raumdeuter: 8:42pm On Jun 05, 2015
Babymama1:

I loved and still love my husband and that I consider very necessary for marriage and the primary ingredient..I got married at 23. when I analyze it now as a mature adult I know like ramdeuter said that there were certainly other ingredients to that thing I called love.
My number one quality in a man is his intelligence.
While someone may be in awe for a tall buff man, I would for a man with mucho intelligence.
So for me love will not exist without super smarts.
Perhaps for some that love wouldn't exist without him having money, for me a good career choice and potential of making a comfortable living was good enough.
Could I have loved a man who was very smart and chose to work as a high school teacher?i don't know.

These knowledge come with age. Love is always predicated on something. and if that thing should leave nko?

When you are young you think the world is full of ice cream and everything is just sweet there are more things more important in life than just the fleeting feeling of love.

All those divorce courts are filled with people who once loved themselves madly and would eat each others lips even in the middle of Highway 59, Now na sticks dem dey use chase one another

The thing is hope you based your love on characteristics more long lasting than looks, money
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jun 05, 2015
snakebeat:

How much will u pay? smiley

50litres of petrol?
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by UjSizzle(f): 8:44pm On Jun 05, 2015
standd:

Our opinions differ and love doesn't sustain anyone. Only deep-rooted convictions and the ability to separate what's necessary from what's not, will suffice. Every human have their limits, as long as they have not reached breaking point, people will try to uphold what brings them comfort and joy.
IMO, it is love that finally erodes with time, especially for those who mistake lust and affections for love.
Of course love isn't food. But love breeds hope and is motivation.
Perhaps our differing opinion stem from what pedestal we place love? Love isn't the leaf that needs sunlight. Love is the root through which everything else is fed.
Your convictions stem from it.
Your mutual respect is all love.
This trust you speak about? Love too.
Eliminate love and see if you feel the same way about a person. Better still think about someone you truly despise and see if your feelings remain the same.

Just because we do not recognise it for what it is doesn't nullify its existence.
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by raumdeuter: 8:44pm On Jun 05, 2015
standd:
@OP, some will marry for reasons far from love, and along the way, they grow in love. And some will claim to be in love, when we all know that the feeling of 'love' is just a short infusion of hormones that will erode with time. The things that sustain long-term marriages and relationships are more solid and deeply rooted than this hormone-induced love...
So, if I LUST a man enough, and we both make enough money to keep body and soul together, plus we respect ourselves, have mutual interest, stay loyal and trustworthy through the years, then I will gladly marry him...
Love to me, is just like religion cheesycheesygrin BIG BIG English to confuse the people grin

My opinion oh.

This is the closest thing to the truth
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by UjSizzle(f): 8:50pm On Jun 05, 2015
standd:

What did I just say? Love is all these BIG BIG English abi grin
Yes o tongue Love is everything. And love is nothing in particular. It's like this big invisible bubble in which we float grin

That's like asking what/who is God ni. Who has a perfect answer to that huh? But I bet when we figure one out we'll know the other too.
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jun 05, 2015
UjSizzle:

Of course love isn't food. But love breeds hope and is motivation.
Perhaps our differing opinion stem from what pedestal we place love? Love isn't the leaf that needs sunlight. Love is the root through which everything else is fed.
Your convictions stem from it.
Your mutual respect is all love.
This trust you speak about? Love too.
Eliminate love and see if you feel the same way about a person. Better still think about someone you truly despise and see if your feelings remain the same.

Just because we do not recognise it for what it is doesn't nullify its existence.

You can feel love for everyone, I know. Humans are capable of love.
My searchlight is on love, in relationships/marriages, in NIGERIA shocked shocked .
I can argue from now till the end of time, Love (The true meaning of Love) in relationships and marriages is practically non-existent. It is giving what you have to get what you want.

4 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jun 05, 2015
The recurring thing in this discussion here so far is that love is necessary but love is not a stand alone term.There seems to be ingredients that make up love and it differs from person to person
For instance if raumdeuter is only attracted to girls with DD bustline,isnt it then a fact that his definition of love must include the DD cup and a girl with a B cup will not be included .no be so?
What is love in our human terms?

1 Like

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by snakebeat: 8:52pm On Jun 05, 2015
standd:

50litres of petrol?
cheesy But I need raw cash....
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by thorpido(m): 8:52pm On Jun 05, 2015
standd:

Love is/was possible. Just that global warming, selfishness and pollution have destroyed the cerebral zones that are meant to feel and give true love cheesy
Lol at this comment especially the bolded.Love is like an ice cube.Global warming is seriously dealing with it.

3 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jun 05, 2015
UjSizzle:

Yes o tongue Love is everything. And love is nothing in particular. It's like this big[b] invisible bubble in which we float grin [/b]

That's like asking what/who is God ni. Who has a perfect answer to that huh? But I bet when we figure one out we'll know the other too.

But I don't like bubbles, or floating or these fake feelings that leaves you high and dry when fate slaps you with her mighty hands angry

3 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 05, 2015
Babymama1:

What is love in our human terms?

This is Ujsizzle's forte cheesy
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jun 05, 2015
standd:

But I don't like bubbles, or floating or these fake feelings that leaves you high and dry when fate slaps you with her mighty hands angry

You are keeping it real grin

2 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jun 05, 2015
Justfollowit:

You are keeping it real grin

LOLcheesy dear, I don't watch telenovelas, all those kinda love flicks that makes one puke..lol cheesygrin plus being a realist is hard mehn.

4 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jun 05, 2015
snakebeat:

cheesy But I need raw cash....

Yes, hmmmn. Two million Bututs for you.
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by UjSizzle(f): 9:03pm On Jun 05, 2015
standd:

You can feel love for everyone, I know. Humans are capable of love.
My searchlight is on love, in relationships/marriages, in NIGERIA shocked shocked .
I can argue from now till the end of time, Love (The true meaning of Love) in relationships and marriages is practically non-existent. It is giving what you have to get what you want.
What did Nigerians do to you this woman? grin
I'm sure whatever issues you have with this topic holds true for the rest of the world.

I already said before that we want to get into these relationships for personal reasons first. Then if we're lucky to find someone who shares our reasons too, we marry them.
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by BABE3: 9:03pm On Jun 05, 2015
"Romantic Love", monogamy and religion are man-made concepts to make us feel more complete and happy. Results of civilization.

Humans are animals. We are selfish, liars, greedy and bla bla. A baby isn't born knowing what love or religion is. We teach babies how to love, and who to worship.

So, love is what you make it to be. Love is super volatile. It's not unconditional. It's just a floating concept in our heads, shaped by Disney movies, romantic movies and books, other people's love stories, and so on.

What is real is sacrifice. Tolerance is real. Understanding is real. Empathy is real. Those are the ingredients needed for any successful relationship of any kind, not "love".

Romantic love, sèx and lust are all synonymous.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jun 05, 2015
UjSizzle:

What did Nigerians do to you this woman? grin
I'm sure whatever issues you have with this topic holds true for the rest of the world.

I already said before that we want to get into these relationships for personal reasons first. Then if we're lucky to find someone who shares our reasons too, we marry them.

The question should be what have I done to Nigeria...lolcheesy
See, the people I see around me these days don't act like they know what love is oh, really.
Good to know you believe so much in love though smiley

1 Like

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Acidosis(m): 9:06pm On Jun 05, 2015
Must Marriage Be About Love?

I cannot define love and attitude but I can explain some attendant scenarios.

1. A man in love will pay his sister in-law's school fees and give her pocket money.

2. A man with a good attitude will mistakenly stumble on her sister in-law in the bathroom and refuse to accommodate any ill thought smiley

When you meet a man with 1 & 2, damn!!! wake up from your sleep and stop dreaming.
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by UjSizzle(f): 9:08pm On Jun 05, 2015
Tsk.
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jun 05, 2015
BABE3:
"Romantic Love", monogamy and religion are man-made concepts to make us feel more complete and happy. Results of civilization.

Humans are animals. We are selfish, liars, greedy and bla bla. A baby isn't born knowing what love or religion is. We teach babies how to love, and who to worship.

So, love is what you make it to be. Love is super volatile. It's not unconditional. It's just a floating concept in our heads, shaped by Disney movies, romantic movies and books, other people's love stories and so on.

What is real is sacrifice. Tolerance is real. Understanding is real. Empathy is real. Those are the ingredients needed for any successful relationship of any kind, not "love".

Romantic love, sèx and lust are all synonymous.

I hereby, wholeheartedly, dedicate the money in my GTB account to you, pls go to the bank and claim it cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by UjSizzle(f): 9:08pm On Jun 05, 2015
standd:

This is Ujsizzle's forte cheesy
"We are all a little weird and life is a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”--- Dr Seuss

I love this quote.
Notice how we tend to like people whose lives mirror ours?
Or how we like people who have shown an indication of liking us first?
It's like even subconsciously we're searching for something familiar in one another. That's probably the beginning of love for us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jun 05, 2015
standd:

LOLcheesy dear, I don't watch telenovelas, all those kinda love flicks that makes one puke..lol cheesygrin plus being a realist is hard mehn.

I love my Mills and Boon but the moment I drop it embarassed. Reality hits grin. It is real hard, good luck trying to convince the world that love is unconditional.
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jun 05, 2015
If I were in the market today for a husband I know that my definition of love will have money at the top and lots of it too grin
Even if he has no blokoss I don't care, as long as he has lots of cash that I can lay my hands on grin grin
I will love him to pieces.

1 Like

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by cococandy(f): 9:11pm On Jun 05, 2015
Even god's love is not unconditional.
If you don't play according to his rules, you know what's up according to the scriptures.

So love can't really be 100percent unconditional.
There's are characteristics you love and you will tend to fall in love with someone who possesses them. That's the condition right there.
If that person weren't that way, you wouldn't love them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jun 05, 2015
Babymama1:
If I were in the market today for a husband I know that my definition of love will have money at the top and lots of it too grin
Even if he has no blokoss I don't care, as long as he has lots of cash that I can lay my hands on grin grin
I will love him to pieces.

cheesycheesygrin

1 Like

Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by UjSizzle(f): 9:14pm On Jun 05, 2015
standd:

The question should be what have I done to Nigeria...lolcheesy
See, the people I see around me these days don't act like they know what love is oh, really.
Good to know you believe so much in love though smiley
They'll learn. We all do eventually.

Yeah I believe in love because there's really nothing else to believe in. When I find a cause greater than this, I'll promptly jump ship.
Re: Must Marriage Be About Love? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jun 05, 2015
cococandy:
Even god's love is not unconditional.
If you don't play according to his rules, you know what's up according to the scriptures.

So live can't really be 100percent unconditional.
There's are characteristics you love and you will tend to fall in love with someone who possesses them. That's the condition right there.
If that person weren't that way, you wouldn't love them.

His love is unconditional says the scriptures.

For God so loved the world he he gave his only son.

While we were yet sinners Christ died

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man MURDERS His Wife . .. Then Posts Her MURDER PIC . . On Facebook!!! / Help!! I Want To See My Mum For The Last Time Before Her Burial. / Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.