Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:10 AM

Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune (38120 Views)

EFCC Grills Micheal Aondoakaa Over $182m Halliburton Fraud - SR / $182m Halliburton Scandal: Buhari Orders Preparation Of Case-file / Leaked Files Link Abdulsalami Abubakar, Chris Garba To $182m Halliburton Bribery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by handie(m): 6:23am On Jun 06, 2015
Barely one week after the inauguration of President Muhammadu Buhari, the United States government has asked him to revisit the $182 million Halliburton bribery case and diligently prosecute all those involved in the scandal.

President Buhari has, consequently, directed the appropriate security agencies to reopen investigations into the case and make appropriate recommendations, it was gathered on Friday.

Informed security sources disclosed to Saturday Tribune that the U.S. government made it clear that unless those involved were prosecuted, part of the bribe money, about $140 million, recovered and still in the US, would not be repatriated to Nigeria.

“Following this development, President Buhari has directed the investigation committee made up of representatives of all security agencies to dust off the file and complete the investigations and charge those indicted to court,” the source said.

By Friday afternoon, key security officers involved in the investigations were seen by Saturday Tribune gathering files and dusting off documents on the case.

The case was investigated four years ago by a security panel headed by retired AIG Ahmadu Ali, who at the end of the case charged a former personal aide to a former Head of State to court but the case was later struck out due to lack of diligent prosecution.

Jeffry Tesler, who was the go-between in the payment of the bribes paid to secure the contract for the final phase of the multibillion naira Nationa Liquefied Natural Gas project was sentenced to 21 months in prison and forfeited $148.964 million from his Swiss accounts to the United States government.

The American government’s report on the Halliburton bribery scandal had indicted three former Nigerian leaders, a former number two citizen, a minister, intelligence chiefs and corporate giants in the list of bribery beneficiaries.

One of the indicted corporate titans, a construction company that allegedly handled the distribution of the money later opted for plea bargaining and paid the sum of $25 million to the government.

The source added that the go-between, Jeffry Tesler had served out his prison sentence and returned to England.

The security source further disclosed to Saturday Tribune that the case file would soon be reopened “and all those who were invited during the investigation will soon appear again."

The source source said, “My brother, this is a serious case now because the government of the day is very eager to prosecute anybody indicted in it so as to serve as a deterrent to others.”
www.tribuneonlineng.com/content/buhari-reopens-182m-bribery-case

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by Mynd44: 6:27am On Jun 06, 2015
We will need more prisons

71 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by alberto2k(m): 6:27am On Jun 06, 2015
and i say unto u polithievecians. . . when Baba opens your case You'll piss in your shady black pants grin

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by agarawu23(m): 6:28am On Jun 06, 2015
let the hunting begin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by alberto2k(m): 6:31am On Jun 06, 2015
Sai BABA!

pls kindly don't spare Tinubu and Amaechi undecided

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by alberto2k(m): 6:32am On Jun 06, 2015

i dedicate this land to RAOWS. . . the weed fraternity shall rise again cool

12 Likes

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by Zret(m): 6:32am On Jun 06, 2015
who say PMB WILL NOT PERFORM?

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by Chiefpriest1(m): 6:32am On Jun 06, 2015
It's about to get messy. Corruption is like cobwebs.

If indeed this report is true, by the time the investigation ends, many heads will roll.

Hope baba knows that many of his friends were part of this scam. If he must start it, he must finish it o

102 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by Jetjacky(m): 6:33am On Jun 06, 2015
Okay we done here

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by Jetjacky(m): 6:33am On Jun 06, 2015
Chiefpriest1:
It's about to get messy. Corruption is like cobwebs.

If indeed this report is true, by the time the investigation ends, many heads will roll
Na you go role am?

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by modath(f): 6:34am On Jun 06, 2015
PMB too sure! Killing corruption before corruption kills Nigeria.. Friends and foes be damned!! No way forward without "sacred" heads rolling!!

Even if he is unable to totally kill corruption, he will make sure its rendered incapacitated!!!

"I belong to everybody, I belong toNobody" PMB May 29,2015...

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by Jetjacky(m): 6:35am On Jun 06, 2015
Zret:
who say PMB WILL NOT PERFORM?
you no hear say Na u.s dey tell am wetin em dey do :-/

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by midolian(m): 6:35am On Jun 06, 2015
Let them know this is a new era.

Sai Baba

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by Alexbond(m): 6:37am On Jun 06, 2015
Gen.Abubakar Abudulsalam came to mind.No saint for naija.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by bolaino(m): 6:37am On Jun 06, 2015
Mynd44:
yeah, and Individuals who have the Money to Invest in Building New prisons, would be welcomed, if you can build a 2,000 capacity prison facility, the Government would lease it from you, Good Business.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by Pavore9: 6:40am On Jun 06, 2015
ls it not the case involving Atiku?

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by Firefire(m): 6:49am On Jun 06, 2015
Mynd44:

I am aligned on this decision.

If all corrupted element are brought to justice without selection, Nigeria will be great again.

The alleged corruption with PTF under GMB must also be re-open!

Finito!

17 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by knightsTempler: 6:50am On Jun 06, 2015
Atiku, Abdulsalami and OBJ are all involve in the Halliburton scandal, let's see how the cookie crumble.

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by Mynd44: 6:53am On Jun 06, 2015
Firefire:

I am aligned on this decision.

If all corrupted element are brought to justice without selection, Nigeria will be great again.

The alleged corruption with PTF under GMB must also be re-open!

Finito!
Key word on alleged but if Buhari is president while that is done, it is a tad bit redundant as he might fiddle with the investigation.

I wonder why a certain president did not do it....
Oh I remember, our unofficially official policy then was to condone corruption and some enemies of the state wanted him to return as president

34 Likes

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by dandoki: 6:53am On Jun 06, 2015
What goes about comes around!
Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by TI1919(m): 6:55am On Jun 06, 2015
grin
Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by omenka(m): 6:56am On Jun 06, 2015
Sometimes I just hate how journalists in this country report news. "A former number two citizen", "two former presidents", bla bla bla. What arrant nonsense. If it were some guy that stole a pack of maggi cubes, they would spell his name and those of his grand parents, maybe include the names of his ancestors, and then put a bold pic of his face on the article you'd think the face is literally joting out of the page! angry

No one must be seen to be above the law. Let all those involved have their day in court and if found guilty, sentenced with hard labour and community service.

When you jail a former president or vice, I don't think a minister or perm sec's child would have the balls to drive around in Lanbos, Ferraris or Panameras.

May God protect Baba for us. Very perilous times lie ahead.

Just as Don Coleone said, a good Pope (President) often has many powerful enemies.

134 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by jorlons(m): 6:57am On Jun 06, 2015
That's a good move and I pray more closed corrupt cases would be reopened. If people are Lynched to death (not that it's good, it's barbaric to say the least), I don't see any reason why corruption cases running into billions of dollars should be pardonable.

Baba thank you for reopening this Halliburton case. Please take a look also at our missing $20 billion.

I pray for God's strength on you and your vice. Amen.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by kelvincoll(m): 6:58am On Jun 06, 2015
Nice development, I only pity some who are goin to be sacrificed in place of the untouchables. We all know the high profiled culprits might not be indicted as dey formed PMB party now cry

By Friday afternoon, key security officers
involved in the investigations were seen by
Saturday Tribune gathering files and dusting off
documents on the case.

It was said we'll be taken to the moon but Files and dust off documents? What in the world happened to e-filing? When dis country go embrace simple technology sef after now mysterious fire go gut that office.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by ijustdey: 6:58am On Jun 06, 2015
no peace for the wicked......

I mean no peace for the corrupted. they will all pay for their sin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by handie(m): 6:59am On Jun 06, 2015
I can't really say I believe this probe will see the light of the day. There are just too many entrenched interests. Though PMB said he belongs to nobody, there're still some people he won't dare touch. Imagine OBJ, Abdusalam Abubakar and Atiku all going to jail. Realistically, the best we can expeect is a plea bargain and house arrest is the farthest things will go

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by Escalze(m): 7:00am On Jun 06, 2015
Ok

Hope he probes Amaechi n Tinubu too ooo

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by tblacker(m): 7:04am On Jun 06, 2015
Kasala go ...
Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by sosanova: 7:04am On Jun 06, 2015
Halliburton scandal
Obasanjo and Atiku will start pooing in their pants, they and their men were seriously involved in the Halliburton mess. grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by handie(m): 7:05am On Jun 06, 2015
Escalze:
Ok

And why would he do that when there's no case of corruption against them? Do u probe without case? Would be debating about him probing this case had there not been a report about it? Or u have evidence that Amaechi and Tinubu are corrupt? Don't worry. The next item will be that missing $20Billion oil money.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by Escalze(m): 7:06am On Jun 06, 2015
Ok

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune by Medley(m): 7:06am On Jun 06, 2015
It's a good step to fighting corruption,but won't be remarkable if the US always give us orders as if we are still a state under their colony. OBJ and atiku,if indicted, i don't need any other reasons not to vote for GMB in 2019

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Olufemi Olukayode Adeyemi Fshaw EFCC Twitter Handler Leaves / Uche Nwosu: Rochas Okorocha Reacts To Arrest Of Son In-law (video) / Soldier That Foiled Suicide Bomb Attempt On Bakassi IDP, Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.