Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says (16203 Views)

Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" / EFCC Detains Ex-Governor Akpabio Again Over Alleged Multi-Billion Naira Fraud / Governor Akpabio Of Akwa-ibom State Spotted While Casting His Vote (pics). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by dejt4u(m): 8:41am On Jun 08, 2015
Private Nigerian universities better than public ones, ex-Governor Akpabio says

Private universities in Nigeria are better than public ones, a former state governor has said.
Godswill Akpabio, who governed oil rich Akwa Ibom State for 8 years, stated this on Sunday at the 13th undergraduate and 14th postgraduate convocation of Babcock University.
The immediate past Akwa Ibom governor was awarded a honourary doctorate degree in Global Economic Development by the university at the event held at the university stadium,Ilishan in Ogun State.
“I want to say here that private universities are better than the other universities and I want to also say that when graduate(s) of privately owned universities present their certificates,they have more opportunities to be considered for employment,” the governor said without providing any evidence for his statement or stating why he could not make the Akwa Ibom State University as good as its private counterparts for the eight years he ruled the state.

Mr. Akpabio also advised the graduating students to be responsible ambassadors of the university especially as their university is owned by a church.
“Ensure you turn out to be good products of the university. Allow God to go with you; in your future allow God to be with you,” he said. “I remain the only governor in Nigeria who drew his people to God. I have the largest choir in the country called Governor Akpabio Unity Choir.”

The former governor listed the achievements of his administration to include a state e-library, road construction and a standard stadium.
He said he agreed to accept the award because of the respect he has for the university, as he had rejected similar offers by other universities.
“I received Babcock University award because its foundation is built on God,” he said while stating that he did not lobby for the award.

The university graduated 1,416 students at the ceremony, including popular hip-hop singer, Davido, and Ikenna Ntomchukwu, son of Ogun State Commissioner of Police.

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/184498-private-nigerian-universities-better-than-public-ones-ex-governor-akpabio-says.html

lalasticlala, Ishilove, Seun
Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by mrvitalis(m): 8:48am On Jun 08, 2015
And how is ur state university after 8yrs of your rulership... .

And who should we blame for that

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by dejt4u(m): 8:57am On Jun 08, 2015
“I want to say here that private universities are better than the other universities and I want to also say that when graduate(s) of privately owned universities present their certificates,they have more opportunities to be considered for employment,” the governor said without providing any evidence for his statement or stating why he could not make the Akwa Ibom State University as good as its private counterparts for the eight years he ruled the state.

3 Likes

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by kilode100(f): 8:58am On Jun 08, 2015
He didn't lie.
Most people complain about PU because they can't afford it.

Sharat to Randito! kiss

22 Likes

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by nonsoafm(m): 9:15am On Jun 08, 2015
Akpabio can you defend this hasty statement?
anyway some Private Unis in Nigeria are far better than most state universities believe it or not.

9 Likes

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by tociano009(m): 9:17am On Jun 08, 2015
shocked
Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by 15thMonica: 9:23am On Jun 08, 2015
and u can make at least one university in your state a match undecided

na stadium u dey go build, mumu ...

I wont be surprise if he open Akpabio International University (private) anytime soon sha

bunch of theifs

- Ajimobi pay salary
-Aegbesola pay salary

awon wereeey

btw, see my signature

8 Likes

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by AnneMomoh: 9:23am On Jun 08, 2015
Its a Fact

1 Like

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by 360ng: 9:23am On Jun 08, 2015
¶#Fact¶
Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by Nobody: 9:24am On Jun 08, 2015
akpabio

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by omenka(m): 9:24am On Jun 08, 2015
Well, in Nigeria, this is a statement of fact and nothing less. Nevertheless, it is an indictment on himself and his counterparts across the nation, and indeed represents a failure of government at all levels.

The schools the elites send their kids to oversees are public and not private schools. Those governments understand that quality education is the bedrock national prosperity. Through qualitative education, you build an enlightened citizenry, and a productive work force. But in Nigeria, the government is scared of having a population that is enlightened and productive because by so doing, they wouldn't have sufficient manpower to snatch ballot boxes for them on election days, thugs to intimidate voters, and assassins to kill opponents. They would end up with a people that would hold them to account and have them kicked out of office through popular movement if they do what is required of them as leaders.

I hope to see a huge shift from the status quo under this administration.

Ps: I'm retired from insults and name calling. Folks (especially PDP supporters) on this forum seem to have made me change so much in the way I express myself here I'm even surprised at the things I write. That wasn't me honestly. I know too well I'm better than that.

Apologies to all those whom I might have insulted one way or the other, including the immediate past president.

I'm all for criticism without name calling.

Thanks.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by ayo20(m): 9:24am On Jun 08, 2015
Na because u get money
Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by nollyway(m): 9:24am On Jun 08, 2015
Akuko!! undecided mike ejeagha sad
Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by siraj1402(m): 9:24am On Jun 08, 2015
So the stupid man refused to be ashamed of his useless tenure. SMH

3 Likes

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by CR77(f): 9:24am On Jun 08, 2015
Good question
mrvitalis:
And how is ur state university after 8yrs of your rulership... .

And who should we blame for that

1 Like

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by eleojo23: 9:25am On Jun 08, 2015
And who is supposed to ensure that people get the best from public universities?
He is admitting the failure of government to take care of public universities.
Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by xmileeasy: 9:25am On Jun 08, 2015
That is your opinion, you give credence to private institutions because of the huge amount of fee they pay thereby equating it with them having better employment opportunities. Intellectual capability and sabificate should be considered for employment, it shouldn't be by certificate alone. Proudly a graduate of public institutions in all my level of education.
Don't know what to say again, Make Nigeria Education better, stop creating discrepancies.

1 Like

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by lifezone247(m): 9:25am On Jun 08, 2015
I knw this man, he is trying to build one with akwa ibom looting money, watch out.

3 Likes

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by felzylix(m): 9:25am On Jun 08, 2015
I wouldn't blame him, trying to justify his invitation..

Utter cluelessness

1 Like

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by CR77(f): 9:25am On Jun 08, 2015
Big one oo
jokebabe:
fool, to say such

1 Like

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by jamex93(m): 9:26am On Jun 08, 2015
angry angry angry
Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by Nobody: 9:26am On Jun 08, 2015
Can anyone dare to disagree when all that the dragon called ASUU does is constantly asking for more bribes and salaries and grounding the government owned education sector ?

3 Likes

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by Nairalandar: 9:26am On Jun 08, 2015
WHAT ABOUT PRIVATE-PUBLIC UNIVERSITY LIKE MY BETTER BY FAR UNILORIN?

2 Likes

Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by hakeem4(m): 9:26am On Jun 08, 2015
Private universities are the best
Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by Dbboy(m): 9:26am On Jun 08, 2015
True.
Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by ayobamog(m): 9:26am On Jun 08, 2015
okay
Re: Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says by Abugab(m): 9:27am On Jun 08, 2015
Why do we always have people who talk before reasoning as leaders or past leaders.
Unverified utterances.
What did he do while in office?
Does he have a private university or a co-owner of one which he aid directly marketing to gullible ones?
I am strongly of the opinion that there should be a law restraining these people from public or press talk after office.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ondo 2016: Pdp Members Defect Enmass To Apc / Group To Occupy NASS If Buhari Fails To Return In 18 Days / 17 Governors Plot Oyegun’s Removal As APC Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.