Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,136 members, 7,818,422 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors (44441 Views)

Dogara Dares El-Rufai To Publish Security Votes / Meet Late Musa Yar'adua's Daughters, All Married To Former State Governors / Dogara Seizes Computers At Appropriation Committee Secretariat Jibrin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by fairheven: 8:56am On Jun 09, 2015
Yet we can't pay salaries,yet we don't have electricity.
I mean these Monies are enof to build at least 500MW of electricity in every state within the duration of each administration. Government of waste!
To think the governors still go ahead in leaving mountainous burden of debt for their respective states only shows the level of impunity in our system

1 Like

Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by jaybee3(m): 8:58am On Jun 09, 2015
According to this article, it does seem the security vote is an unallocated budget appropriated by each state government derived from their monthly allocation from the federal government. In essence, their really isn't a separate allocation for security vote from the federal gorvement

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/plugging-the-security-vote-leakage/127771/

It is pertinent to state that security votes are not included in the appropriation, whether at the federal or state level. By standard practice, the funds are unaudited and unaccounted for. The exact amount budgeted as security votes each year by state governments are unknown and how they are spent is nobody’s business. The malaise has thus become one of the easiest ways governors misappropriate funds in their respective states.

Every year, billions of naira is misappropriated with impunity from the federal to state governments without batting an eye lid. The funds purportedly meant to provide security for the president and governors in their domains end being looted and transferred into personal bank accounts. In spite of these huge sums of money, killings, kidnappings, cultism and other security threats are on the rise across the federation.

At the federal level, funds are annually allocated to the Ministry of Defence and the Nigeria Police for the upkeep and welfare of the armed forces and the police, yet billions are still voted for the President as security votes which nobody knows about.

Curiously too, nobody knows how security vote got into the country’s political lexicon. Section 14(b) of the 1999 Constitution states that: “It is hereby accordingly declared that the security and welfare of the people shall be the primary purpose of government.” No where did the section or any other part of the statue book state that there shall be a pool of fund called “security vote.”
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by EasternLeopard: 8:59am On Jun 09, 2015
Baba One Chance should change it from security vote to industrialisation vote in order to aid industrialisation of Nigeria

Its a shame that SE governors couldn't divert theirs in industrialising our region

Shame on

Mallam Rochas

Orji

Etc

Barcanista
NDVF
Ikengawo
Eurobomber
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by jorlons(m): 9:01am On Jun 09, 2015
barcanista:
Security vote is at every level. Every official want to chop grin grin

Well this thread is eye opening. I never imagined such amount is disbursed at the state level. Maybe some of us need to start copying your style and begin to carry our own research.

Never thought I'd say this but thanks man.
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by Nobody: 9:03am On Jun 09, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
How can FG fund the police and then turn around to dole out billions of naira in security votes, I will say that the security vote should be converted to FG allocation to states so that every state will now have an increase in allocation.

Imagine Osun state collecting 400million naira as security vote and the state can't pay salaries, how did we get here.

Imo state govt allocated its own security votes to schools but truth be told we can't see any impact because its only a media allocation.

God bless kwankwaso for using his own judiciously.

@ barcanista, there is another money governors use without any supervision and that is the Ecological fund which runs into hundreds of millions
Thank you! Trust politicians na... A peep into states' budgets will shock you.
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by JBismarck(m): 9:08am On Jun 09, 2015
This is enough reason for public protests. I urge us all to share this info on social media outlets.
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by bjdon: 9:11am On Jun 09, 2015
UnknownT:
A nice thread where APC and PDP supporters can at least FOR ONCE agree with Barcanista's research. To think that the states that are massively owing civil servants receive millions monthly. Kai!!!!!! Cc: lalasticlala

Very well said and may the Lord bless you. This is the kind of thing we should be doing on NL. Not all this tribal bashing nonsense or PDP this, ACP that, the truth is ALL of these guys are looting OUR Money. People need to get wise, and then get organized to confront them, weather they are from Enugu or Ekiti. it's OUR future they are stealing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 09, 2015
onatisi:
counter it with ur own truthful article and honest information.

There's how messed up something can be n will not counter it....D article is so off. 600 million naira monthly for Enugu state, That's very laughable.
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by IGBOSON1: 9:23am On Jun 09, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
How can FG fund the police and then turn around to dole out billions of naira in security votes, I will say that the security vote should be converted to FG allocation to states so that every state will now have an increase in allocation.

Imagine Osun state collecting 400million naira as security vote and the state can't pay salaries, how did we get here.

Imo state govt allocated its own security votes to schools but truth be told we can't see any impact because its only a media allocation.

God bless kwankwaso for using his own judiciously.

@ barcanista, there is another money governors use without any supervision and that is the Ecological fund which runs into hundreds of millions

^^^Forget Imo......it's all hot air with hardly anything tangible on ground!
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by MizMyColi(f): 9:24am On Jun 09, 2015
ElDeeVee:

He ran. He lost

That's sadsad
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by jaybee3(m): 9:25am On Jun 09, 2015
This is more like 10% of the total funds allocated by the federal Government. In effect, majority of the states are setting aside 10% of the money for security vote or whatever you wanna call it so they can easily loot it as they can't be requested to account for it.
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by EasternLeopard: 9:34am On Jun 09, 2015
IGBOSON1:

Don't mind mallam Okoroacha

The biggest clown in government SE Nigeria

Imagine where Imo would have been after spending that money in building industries under public-private partnership with plans to sell off government shares after 5-10 years of operations.
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by IGBOSON1: 9:52am On Jun 09, 2015
Abia state: N700Million Monthly (N8.4billion Yearly)

www.pointblanknews.com/pbn/news/ppa-vows-reclaim-abia-2015-tackles-gov-orji-defection-pdp-development/

^^^I want to zero in on Abia.....what's going on in that state makes my blood boil! angry angry angry

You know for the full wasted 8 year duration of that mans administration, what was taken as the so-called security vote roughly amounts to 65 billion naira! You know what 65 billion naira could have achieved over 8 years by a well-focused and vision-led administration? For a start, this amount could have done up all the roads in Aba to exacting international standards; it could have been used over 8 years to build the best airport in Nigeria; it could have been used as part funding for the construction of a sea port at Obuaku; it could have been used as loan financing for local entrepreneurs; or it could have been used to build a world-class 5-star hotel in Umuahia, Aba or any serene rural environment that would help place Abia state on the world map as a leading destination for tourism and conferences.......the possibilities are endless!

Another bottomless-pit through which funds were siphoned in Abia state during Orjis' tenure was through under-declaring or non-declaration of true internally generated revenue figures (IGR) over the years! When they do declare at all they'll mention some laughable figure like 200 or 300 a month for any given year, when we all know that Abia state is perfectly capable of generating at least 1.5 billion a month! Now do the math and you'll realize that Abia state during the 8 year period Orji was Governor could easily have made at least 70 billion naira (undeclared) which went into private pockets! Just imagine what this could have done for the state! And they've gone ahead and retained the very same characters that ruined governance in that state in the first place!......I give up!

2 Likes

Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by Dollyak(f): 9:53am On Jun 09, 2015
IGBOSON1:

I am angry at Imo state governors and chairmen. Last time I went there I wasn't impressed. No development or changes angry

1 Like

Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by onatisi(m): 9:55am On Jun 09, 2015
jaybee3:
According to this article, it does seem the security vote is an unallocated budget appropriated by each state government derived from their monthly allocation from the federal government. In essence, their really isn't a separate allocation for security vote from the federal gorvement

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/plugging-the-security-vote-leakage/127771/

It is pertinent to state that security votes are not included in the appropriation, whether at the federal or state level. By standard practice, the funds are unaudited and unaccounted for. The exact amount budgeted as security votes each year by state governments are unknown and how they are spent is nobody’s business. The malaise has thus become one of the easiest ways governors misappropriate funds in their respective states.

Every year, billions of naira is misappropriated with impunity from the federal to state governments without batting an eye lid. The funds purportedly meant to provide security for the president and governors in their domains end being looted and transferred into personal bank accounts. In spite of these huge sums of money, killings, kidnappings, cultism and other security threats are on the rise across the federation.

At the federal level, funds are annually allocated to the Ministry of Defence and the Nigeria Police for the upkeep and welfare of the armed forces and the police, yet billions are still voted for the President as security votes which nobody knows about.

Curiously too, nobody knows how security vote got into the country’s political lexicon. Section 14(b) of the 1999 Constitution states that: “It is hereby accordingly declared that the security and welfare of the people shall be the primary purpose of government.” No where did the section or any other part of the statue book state that there shall be a pool of fund called “security vote.”
obj collected this presidential security votes running into billions for 8years but came back to start calling gej a corrupt president. What did obj use the billions he collected as security votes for ? Yet this is the same man many see as a pillar of nigeria democracy!!!!! This is truly a demostration of craziness .
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by supaduma: 10:03am On Jun 09, 2015
Fellow citizens until we rise up to demand accountability from our leaders, we will keep going round in circles of poverty, deprivation and lack.
Trust me nobody can liberate Nigeria from these thieving raiders or is it leaders execept Nigerians.
We need to start galvanising support via the all powerful social media until everyone becomes very conscious of the need to hold every public servant accountable.. then Boom.... the Peoples Revolution. Like this idea if you want to see Nigeria truly Liberated, Share it and repost it for all to see if you want your Children's generation flourish! #PeoplesRevolution.
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by AkpanUnanam(m): 10:05am On Jun 09, 2015
hmmmmmmmm my state is mmmmmm
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by IGBOSON1: 10:05am On Jun 09, 2015
onatisi:
obj collected this presidential security votes running into billions for 8years but came back to start calling gej a corrupt president. What did obj use the billions he collected as security votes for ? Yet this is the same man many see as a pillar of nigeria democracy!!!!! This is truly a demostration of craziness .

^^^Well in fairness to OBJ and to play devils advocate.....he did use part of it to level Odi and Zakibiam to the ground! So 'technically' you can't say he did nothing with the money!! lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by stinggy(m): 10:11am On Jun 09, 2015
barcanista:
Because Kwankwaso has never been an apostle of it.

Another thing is, my estacode was only N15,000 and no security vote. Security vote anywhere is stealing. I don’t believe in it, I never applied it during my first tenure (1999-2003), and I don’t think I’m going to apply same now, in that the provisions aid corruption in the art of governance, I will like to lead by example and the moment you steal once, your subordinate will double your record.- Dr Rabiu Kwankwaso

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/06/kwankwaso-security-vote-it-is-another-name-for-stealing-2/#sthash.B1EaIWM9.dpuf

And that's a leader. My original pick but Buhari was too popular among the APC hierarchy and was openly anointed by Tinubu. The worst of critic knows Kwankwasiyya is an achiever.

Btw, Uduaghan with 2Billion monthly shocked, was there a war in Delta we didn't hear of
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by EasternLeopard: 10:21am On Jun 09, 2015
IGBOSON1:

^^^I want to zero in on Abia.....what's going on in that state makes my blood boil! angry angry angry

You know for the full wasted 8 year duration of that mans administration, what was taken as the so-called security vote roughly amounts to 65 billion naira! You know what 65 billion naira could have achieved over 8 years by a well-focused and vision-led administration? For a start, this amount could have done up all the roads in Aba to exacting international standards; it could have been used over 8 years to build the best airport in Nigeria; it could have been used as part funding for the construction of a sea port at Obuaku; it could have been used as loan financing for local entrepreneurs; or it could have been used to build a world-class 5-star hotel in Umuahia, Aba or any serene rural environment that would help place Abia state on the world map as a leading destination for tourism and conferences.......the possibilities are endless!

Another bottomless-pit through which funds were siphoned in Abia state during Orjis' tenure was through under-declaring or non-declaration of true internally generated revenue figures (IGR) over the years! When they do declare at all they'll mention some laughable figure like 200 or 300 a month for any given year, when we all know that Abia state is perfectly capable of generating at least 1.5 billion a month! Now do the math and you'll realize that Abia state during the 8 year period Orji was Governor could easily have made at least 70 billion naira (undeclared) which went into private pockets! Just imagine what this could have done for the state! And they've gone ahead and retained the very same characters that ruined governance in that state in the first place!......I give up!

Its so annoying that I wonder the demons possessing these governors

That's why we must introduce true federalism which will force these governors to work or suffer

1 Like

Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by anonimi: 10:24am On Jun 09, 2015
IzonOwei:
I support all non violent moves to erase the leaders we have now..but my brother the process is damn slow...what if our evolution takes one millenium to be achieved?..the truth is the politicians we have now are grooming there family members and cronies to take over and continue the trend we are experiencing...I cant imagine that with all these monies the basic ammenities we cant boast of..no jobs for the youths...

That is why I said in my post that you quoted-

we need to increase the tempo with greater debates and increased engagement of citizens in the political & governance process.

IF we do these two increasingly we will CONTINUE to improve and get better as a society.

Why do you think Nigerians are not heading to Cuba, North Korea and other communist states of revolution to hustle instead of the continuously evolving capitalist societies in Western Europe & North America?
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by Isoni(m): 10:25am On Jun 09, 2015
LMAO ... World war indeed...
Politicians have really dealt with us.
Official looting yet we keep calling for some ridiculous probe.
God will liberate us in due course.

stinggy:

And that's a leader. My original pick but Buhari was too popular among the APC hierarchy and was openly anointed by Tinubu. The worst of critic knows Kwankwasiyya is an achiever.

Btw, Uduaghan with 2Billion monthly shocked, was there a war in Delta we didn't hear of

1 Like

Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by patrickmuf(m): 10:29am On Jun 09, 2015
With this knowledge now, do you still crave for 100% resource control knowing that our leaders are thieves?
You should tow this line if you want to be taken seriously, we should try as much as possible to hold our leaders accountable...
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by Image123(m): 10:55am On Jun 09, 2015
cold:

This is the internet bro,you can be anything you choose to be. Why you chose to be stùpid is mind boggling. Just saying

Perhaps you should mind your business or seek to be gainfully employed. That way, your idle mind will not be cheaply boggled.
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by Sibrah: 10:59am On Jun 09, 2015
stinggy:

Imagine if states like Delta decide to use half of their SecurityVotes for an empowerment scheme like Youwin. That's almost equal the size of fund size disbursed for a whole National Version.
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by Image123(m): 11:01am On Jun 09, 2015
brownlord:

Keeping your mouth shut and letting folks think you are a fool is better than opening it and confirming the fact.

Look in the mirror and repeat that statement slowly until it dawns on you. You ended up not contributing intelligently.
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by cold(m): 11:11am On Jun 09, 2015
Image123:

Perhaps you should mind your business or seek to be gainfully employed. That way, your idle mind will not be cheaply boggled.
Please return to the religious section where you're domiciled. You're in the wrong section
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by patrickmuf(m): 11:11am On Jun 09, 2015
onatisi:
I have been telling ppl for so long that there is no miracle buhari or anyone can perform with the current system of politics in nigeria. The problem isn't gej,tinubu or amaechi , the problem is the system of politics and society that produces these leaders. The leaders produced are the direct expression of the system and people. They are simply products of the system . And we are the system , as long as a governor candidate keeps spending as much as 6 to 10 billion just to win an election ,this sort of looting will continue ,as long as ppl keep collecting rice ,recharge card,fufu and 5000 to vote for candidates,these sort of looting will continue. This has nothing to do with party lines, apc senator and reps do collect jumbo pay packages with their pdp counterparts and they have never said it is too much. Politics in nigeria is a big time multi billion naira industry,where the amount u invest in will 90% determine how big your profit will be. During the last apc primaries in lagos ,delegates were given 5000 dollars each and some even collected more like 8000 dollars to vote for various candidates ,where did the money come from ?definitely from sources like this, Same with pdp also. So the solution is for the educated ppl to join politics and mobilise the grassroot against such practices or to start a pressure group which will be demanding for transparency and accountability from elected leaders. This security vote issue is just a minute tip of the ice berg, what about local govt funds and derivation fund grin
I've noticed you, you've been making intelligent submission for some time now...BRAVO!
I once said that the term " Politics is a dirty game" is a ploy to dissuade sane minds from presenting themselves for leadership positions...We just have to get in and make things work...
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by Image123(m): 11:15am On Jun 09, 2015
Emyogalanya:
See one of the thieves defenders spotted so ur saying buhari should do so cos gej did ? So until he mention gej u wont be satisfied ok insert Gej the post is for us to see whats going on he was not targeting anyone instead of u to join the call for accountability you came up with this pathetic post

Duh, Goodluck Jonathan collected security votes too. It is only sane, fair and level that we are informed of everything, not partial information.. What is accountability if accounts don't balance. Tell us everything, not selective info. How much did hero Jonathan earn as security votes for 5yrs?
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by Image123(m): 11:19am On Jun 09, 2015
cold:

Please return to the religious section where you're domiciled. You're in the wrong section

Lol, you actually did a background check to mudsling? You should be capable of engaging in discussion at your age already, instead of looking for weak points. Again, nothing wrong or out of place for the OP to have included President Jonathan's earnings in security votes, or was he not paid?
Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by patrickmuf(m): 11:21am On Jun 09, 2015
barcanista:
For the first time since Feb 15, 2015 Omenka commented without abusing me. I hope we get better with time.

The truth is that nobody is securing anything. The Governors by themselves allocate such ridiculous amount. Sadly, no section of the constitution made provision for it
Rephrased...
For the first time since Feb 15, 2015 you're opening a nonpartisan thread devoid of hate, half truth, ethnocentrism etc

2 Likes

Re: Monthly/ Yearly "Security Votes" Appropriation Of State Governors by patrickmuf(m): 11:24am On Jun 09, 2015
MizMyColi:

Remind me again...

Why didn't this man run for presidency?
He contested the primaries with GMB but lost out...Even Barcanista didn't support his candidature... An information like this would have done him a huge favour if it was let out during the primaries...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Reasons Gbenga Daniel Dumped PDP - Sahara Reporters / Buhari Reveals What Recovered Stolen Monies Will Be Used For / Mechanics , Touts, Hotels Tops Beneficiaries Of Lagos Island Flood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.