Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. (29929 Views)

Step By Step Application Process For Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment / Thank You Nairaland.. I Got Employed To ABM Group, Owerri Branch / Online Records 67 Percent Decline In Job Applications - Guardian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by CLEVABOY(m): 1:53pm On Jun 13, 2015
Don't worry, my scholarship for 2.2 holders in sciences and Engineering is coming soon.
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 13, 2015
LastProphet:
I talked about the dire plight of 2.2 grads in nigeria just recently and one guy was arguing with me. Nigeria is a country full of injustices and lop-sided-thinking leaders. For example do you rate a 2.2 from a tough school like FUTA with a 2.2 from Kogi State university or Abia state university? Organizations that have called them to interview can tell u, even a 3rd class fro FUTA or FUTM will shame a 2.1 from most of these mushroom state universities and yeye federal schools. Our educational sector is pure pure trash

I don't know what to say but my brother God bless u ...
School different from school o. A 2.1 student in EkSU can't b compared to a third class student in Futa or Futo dis are technology schools with department like Geology,Mechanical engineering , Computer Science and Mining Engineering its not easy to get 2.2 from this department in FUTA
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by mightycrown1(m): 1:56pm On Jun 13, 2015
2.2 holders will soon start to burn their certificates and go back to schools to get 1 by fire by force.
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by PStacks(m): 1:57pm On Jun 13, 2015
grin oooh! The guy politely said you are an olodo baba 2:2 ..

When u knew u were going to look for job. Why you no kill urself for university die put for dia till u make 2:1.. Now u want to result to falsify grades,

Remember, this is #Buhari's administration. We would not condone such acts.
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Nasri100(m): 1:59pm On Jun 13, 2015
firstolalekan:
Dumb
What is this one saying?
No. you the dumb one. Wonder why graduates further education in Masters?
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by VickyRotex(f): 2:08pm On Jun 13, 2015
firstolalekan:

Dumb

What is this one saying?

Are you okay? Do I look like those peeps you spew gibberish words at?

Please swerve. And never you refer to me as this one. Dont quote me again.
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by VickyRotex(f): 2:09pm On Jun 13, 2015
Nasri100:

Please help me enlighten him. cheesy
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by freddyly: 2:11pm On Jun 13, 2015
VellyG:

That your company must be one hell of a boring place to work in with all this your policies... Mind you some first class grads are cram and dump kind of graduates bringing them into a real work scenario you will find a second class lower grad doing better than them. Meanwhile 80percent of the ED's , MD's ,CEO's today are not first class graduates so don't judge a book by its cover rather by its content.
shut up!
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by ramalot(m): 2:13pm On Jun 13, 2015
Chiscomax:

you are on your period that is why u re talking crap

I bet you have a 3rd class. Assuming you ever attended university.
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Waspy(m): 2:15pm On Jun 13, 2015
Chinaimporter:
[size=13pt]In my company, i employ only first class graduates...not because they are smart but they are fully dedicated to the job..we have thousands of people with second class and they are just your average indisiplined nigerians...it takes serious dedication to make a firt class and that is the kind of spirit i want in my company.....i also employ mostly irreligious people and atheist,agnostic,deists etc because they are rational thinkers, better behaved,and not cut out for the bullshit called faith.....they work for me and me alone and i dont have to share loyalty with an imaginary helper from the sky.....i have a strict no alcohol at work policy and i dnt tolorate people that do drugs except for marijuana lovers although not the heavy users[/size]
Stop trolling man
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by seglad2(m): 2:15pm On Jun 13, 2015
All this is not knwn in Labor market. So make good grade.
LastProphet:
I talked about the dire plight of 2.2 grads in nigeria just recently and one guy was arguing with me. Nigeria is a country full of injustices and lop-sided-thinking leaders. For example do you rate a 2.2 from a tough school like FUTA with a 2.2 from Kogi State university or Abia state university? Organizations that have called them to interview can tell u, even a 3rd class fro FUTA or FUTM will shame a 2.1 from most of these mushroom state universities and yeye federal schools. Our educational sector is pure pure trash

1 Like

Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Pasca07: 2:26pm On Jun 13, 2015
The truth is their are no jobs in nigeria.....all this grades are used to minimize the applicants from applying for the little available space.......
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Pasca07: 2:29pm On Jun 13, 2015
mightycrown1:
2.2 holders will soon start to burn their certificates and go back to schools to get 1 by fire by force.
even not everyone who graduated with 2.1 are employed......
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by firstolalekan(m): 2:29pm On Jun 13, 2015
VickyRotex:

Are you okay? Do I look like those peeps you spew gibberish words at?

Please swerve. And never you refer to me as this one. Dont quote me again.

You're not ok
How do you look?
Fùck off!
I'm currently.
Dumber
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jun 13, 2015
Chinaimporter:
[size=13pt]In my company, i employ only first class graduates...not because they are smart but they are fully dedicated to the job..we have thousands of people with second class and they are just your average indisiplined nigerians...it takes serious dedication to make a firt class and that is the kind of spirit i want in my company.....i also employ mostly irreligious people and atheist,agnostic,deists etc because they are rational thinkers, better behaved,and not cut out for the bullshit called faith.....they work for me and me alone and i dont have to share loyalty with an imaginary helper from the sky.....i have a strict no alcohol at work policy and i dnt tolorate people that do drugs except for marijuana lovers although not the heavy users[/size]

lol have you heard of the word "false positives" and "false negatives" am sorry but First Class doesn't mean sh.it. I have a First Class in a foreign university and yes i studied, but while working, I reaized First Class has nothing to do with the work life. anyone who wants to be dedicated will be dedicated. Obviously your type of company relies on certification , mine relies on past work. We have turned down many First Class because they only had the paper to show for it, we don't run an academy , we don't exams here we do business. So unless you can prove your worth, you can't enter regardless of what grade you make.

Our Developers are the maddest, some 3rd Class, Some First Class, some sef no certificate and their works for the company are on billboards and client's hand.

In School you are told to read this for exams, and i read them and pass and people ask me how did i make a first class, how not ? i simply read what i was told to read and research in the real life there are no directions. No pointers, you have to research and test which is a skill anyone can get.

Anyway it's your company wink

3 Likes

Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by ttmacoy: 2:40pm On Jun 13, 2015
Most reputable companies in most major countries ask for 2:1 minimum. Same with most reputable schools when applying for masters.

This is not peculiar to Nigeria.

kamez:
Blame urself. I'm sure u already knew that the requirement was 2:1, u for just waka pass jeje.

He who pays the piper, dictates the tune.its their company so they have the right to decide who and how they want to recruit.

Move on my guy

Naija companies and their obsession with 2:1 sha.
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jun 13, 2015
Pasca07:
The truth is their are no jobs in nigeria.....all this grades are used to minimize the applicants from applying for the little available space.......

Yes which is why people need to create their jobs, I was unemployed for a while omo i started doing freelance programming and i made money than employed people but no security though am working now but i tell you i make more from freelance than employed job.
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by kolaaderin: 2:47pm On Jun 13, 2015
koife:

Exactly what u did...and am done!
Exactly what i did and i got my dream Job just two months after, now rocking all related Jobs with a good pay and Gods grace to a greater height.
My advice, dont wait till its too late, make a decision now and move on to avoid this continuous embarrassment and complain from employers. Once u have your Masters, u have a leverage above most graduates and this also help a lot in the future as most with higher first degree ends it there with experience not because they cant do it but because their time has been mortgaged as at right time for them to have it, while your 2:2 already has a second degree to brag with which will sometime gives u an edge over them later in the future.
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jun 13, 2015
VickyRotex:
Don't lie about it. Keep pressing on.

This season shall pass, a new season will emerge.

It's all about being Persistent

Build your skills, and if possible you could further your education.

When you have an Msc, 2:2 ain't important any longer.

But most importantly, keep pressing on.

Cheers

when you have a skill nothing stops you, my brother niyiokeowo if you google him you will see Graphic Designer works at GTBank later Ndani now SME Market Hub, we begged him to remain in school but he wanted to drop out. He graduated with a 3rd Class from convenant. I like my brother, he didn't care right now GTbank has a policy too for 2.1 employees right ? he got employed after seeing his works and his jobs have been on GTBank website.

Now what am i saying I am an organization i see someone who is talented and is good but he has a 2.2 or 3rd class you think that would stop me from hiring the person. I have 2 bsc one 2.2 and 1 first class i made a 2.2 because i had no interest in that course i spent all my life reading programming instead of business admin which was boooooooooring, I have been employed/worked both internationally and locally and they have never asked for my certificate. I interview for my organization and certification is the least thing we look at. We are not an academia so why do we need to focus on certificates unless there's an award for companies with the most 1st class staffs. lol

NOTE: Excuse my blunders i type fast cheesy

2 Likes

Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Chiscomax(m): 2:55pm On Jun 13, 2015
ramalot:

I bet you have a 3rd class. Assuming you ever attended university.

calm down. u are only on ur period! its natural
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jun 13, 2015
Alpha100:
My Symphaty
another person with 2.2 here cheesy
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jun 13, 2015
Nasri100:

People study masters in Nigeria because they assume it will set them apart, now everyone follows suit. It's good if you study Masters to further your knowledge. But in Nigeria they assume Masters sets them apart, now everyone is getting a masters , masters becomes the new bsc, so am guessing the next line of thought would be to get a PHD to set themselves apart.

The same money you are looking for, is now spent trying to accumulate more knowledge when you can get them for free online and apply them. OpenWave courses by Harvard is an example

2 Likes

Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jun 13, 2015
chowlade:

another person with 2.2 here cheesy
what's the big deal i have 2.2 and 1st Class , they didn't add any benefit to my employments ( and it's long). no shame in 2.2 or even 3rd Class
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Fourwinds: 3:03pm On Jun 13, 2015
Chinaimporter:
u try. Clap for ya self
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Sheglux: 3:03pm On Jun 13, 2015
Final Assessment and Class of Degree: A student who has satisfactorily completed all requirements for the degree with CGPA of not less than 1.50 may be awarded an Honour degree as follows: First Class: 4.50 and above Second Class Upper: 3.50-4.49 Second Class Lower: 2.50-3.49 Third Class: 1.50-2.49
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Nasri100(m): 3:05pm On Jun 13, 2015
pcguru1:

People study masters in Nigeria because they assume it will set them apart, now everyone follows suit. It's good if you study Masters to further your knowledge. But in Nigeria they assume Masters sets them apart, now everyone is getting a masters , masters becomes the new bsc, so am guessing the next line of thought would be to get a PHD to set themselves apart.

The same money you are looking for, is now spent trying to accumulate more knowledge when you can get them for free online and apply them. OpenWave courses by Harvard is an example

Oga the quote has no allegiance to this obvious fact. We talking about jobs in NIGERIA. Having a Masters degree massively helps your chances of a getting a job in a dire Nigerian labour market. I wouldnt know and care less if Masters becomes Bsc.
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jun 13, 2015
Do you have any work experience in that sector? A second class lower degree without any work experience is just asking for disappointment undecided
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jun 13, 2015
Nasri100:

Oga the quote has no alleigance to this obvious fact. We talking about jobs in NIGERIA. Having a Masters massively helps your chances of a getting a job in a dire Nigerian labour market.

No it doesn't it only helps in filtering your CV assuming the company uses a recruitment software to manage resumes, cuz most lazy companies do that.

The disadvantage is that, you have the potential of succumbing to "false negatives" (Not hiring the right people) even Google have admitted to that, they didn't hire people who they thought weren't worth it, till those hires work for another company and compete with Google.

Yesterday I walked into an Organization (Finanacial) obviously since they employ only 2.1 their developers couldn't do sh.it , they outsource their jobs out , the developers just faff and collect salary. that's a false positive (hiring the wrong people who look good for the job). That's my take on employment issues.

My advice get a skill, do a freelance work for companies even if it's not a big company build your portfolio and later you will be recognized.

2 Likes

Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by VickyRotex(f): 3:11pm On Jun 13, 2015
pcguru1:

when you have a skill nothing stops you, my brother niyiokeowo if you google him you will see Graphic Designer works at GTBank later Ndani now SME Market Hub, we begged him to remain in school but he wanted to drop out. He graduated with a 3rd Class from convenant. I like my brother, he didn't care right now GTbank has a policy too for 2.1 employees right ? he got employed after seeing his works and his jobs have been on GTBank website.

Now what am i saying I am an organization i see someone who is talented and is good but he has a 2.2 or 3rd class you think that would stop me from hiring the person. I have 2 bsc one 2.2 and 1 first class i made a 2.2 because i had no interest in that course i spent all my life reading programming instead of business admin which was boooooooooring, I have been employed/worked both internationally and locally and they have never asked for my certificate. I interview for my organization and certification is the least thing we look at. We are not an academia so why do we need to focus on certificates unless there's an award for companies with the most 1st class staffs. lol

NOTE: Excuse my blunders i type fast cheesy

lol. I understand you perfectly cheesy

Got a friend also with a 3rd class and he's currently working in a big firm. Reason? He was given an opportunity to prove himself.

That was why I suggested that the Op should build/improve his skills. It would have been easier, if he had an opportunity to be interviewed, and proving to them that he could actually do the job. But in this case, it's an online application, that automatically denies 2:2 and below. You understand right?

And that was why I also advised him to further, probably get an Msc or a certification related to his field. That would help him, in similar cases like this.

But the good thing is, these days, most companies are more concerned about what you can offer. Than the certificates you've got.
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jun 13, 2015
ramalot:
People need to STFU about 2.2 graduates being screened out. Any mediocre student can graduate with a 2.2 grade in Nigeria.

Considering the average Nigerian graduate is barely educated, i see absolutely no reason why a requirement of 2.1 and up should not be used as a screener.

Granted, a 2.2 student might be intellectually superior to a 2.1 holder. HOWEVER, what sets them apart is "hard work & dedication." This is way more valuable in the workforce.

The same dedication to studies which resulted in a 2.1 is what would be applied to the job. Also, the same excuses, procrastination and low motivation which led to a 2.2 will also be brought forward to the job. If you owned the company, which of these would you want?

Reality over sentiment.

Possibly the only sensible comment in the entire thread

2 Likes

Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jun 13, 2015
Nasri100:

Oga the quote has no allegiance to this obvious fact. We talking about jobs in NIGERIA. Having a Masters degree massively helps your chances of a getting a job in a dire Nigerian labour market. I wouldnt know and care less if Masters becomes Bsc.

Also I KNOW and am telling you, however when it comes to Accounting and Courses that are associated with works that require intelligence then obviously those criteria apply.

But come on for a banker, I have worked in two banks as Customer Service and teller and I can tell you one thing, it's a routine job, you can learn on the job, infact you can perform your job and not understand why or what becomes it's monotonous and repetitive. I can train a monkey to become a banker, so am wondering why banking requires a 2.1 when it's something you learn on the job.
Re: After Spending 2hrs On The Application Process, I Got Application Decline. by bayulll01(m): 3:17pm On Jun 13, 2015
Nasri100:

But why you disturbing yourself? Cant you observe from his '"typing pattern'' that he is an illiterate? Ignore the dude. Stop giving him attention.

No mind me jawe,the mofo just got to me,awon attention seeker

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Got A Job In A Multinational Company (3rd Class) / Nigerian Customs Recruiting / Citibank Management Trainee Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.