Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,199 members, 7,811,526 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior (23341 Views)

World Sickle Cell Day / June 19th: World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day / University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Dahjhi: 1:58pm On Jun 19, 2015
Asatiloko:
I have 3 siblings with the disease aged 31, 25 and 16
it's been a challenging situation since childhood.
They have stayed without blood transfusion for years.
All to the Glory of God
[size=18pt]BRAVO!! #MoreGraceForThem smiley[/size]

1 Like

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 19, 2015
treasuremabel:

Norflex, folic acids, bico, astymine syrup

But currently I don't take any medications, just fruit n enough water everyday
Yea sounds impossible right? but I took those drugs last like 8months ago

I once read that not all sicklers experience the same amount of pain, as it varies from one individual to another. Seems yours is better.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jun 19, 2015
animality:

YOU DID NOT LOST YOUR MUM DUE TO THIS ILLNESS.
ONCE YOU HAVE REACH THE AGE OF 26, THAT SICKNESS WILL BECOME DORMANT.

FALSE!! Except by Divine intervention, ONCE A SICKLER, ALWAYS A SICKLER
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jun 19, 2015
shadowripper:

Stay Away from Blood Tonic? Why?
Although i'm not a doctor, most, if not all blood tonics contain iron. And it can lead to an iron overload in a sickler's body, which would have some health implications.

I remember feeling very weak the times i mistakenly took medicines containing iron that was prescribed by the doctor.

1 Like

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Dahjhi: 2:13pm On Jun 19, 2015
okpurukata:

May God continue to sustain you. I have a warrior son. He is 8 and doing great. Learnt of a supplement called Cellod S. It has been very helpful.
That's cool. #HeSurviveOn smiley But hope you've put measures in place not to invite another kid to carry the gene? You get ma'am ? smiley
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Lilyomi(f): 2:13pm On Jun 19, 2015
stonecoldcafe:

AC? Is there AC? I know AA, AS and SS. I now need to immerse my head in wikipedia for the next few minutes. BRB

In other news God bless yall warriors. His grace is sufficient.
Yes der is. Is not common tho. Ders AC n SC
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by animality: 2:14pm On Jun 19, 2015
Chi59:
FALSE!! Except by Divine intervention, ONCE A SICKLER, ALWAYS A SICKLER
CLAP FOR YOURSELF undecided
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jun 19, 2015
Dahjhi:
Before I read.. I'm joining the campaign..

Nlanders: Let's roll it..

It's the Sickle Cell Awareness Day!
Simply put, sickle cell anaemia is a hereditary genetic disease, which got its
name from the crescent-shaped red blood cells. These cells, instead of moving
freely through the blood vessels, tend to stick to the sides or walls of the blood
vessels thereby resulting in blockages. In the short term, it can cause severe
pains or infections while its long term consequences could be organ damage,
strokes and early deaths.
¤We advocate for investments in finding effective treatments that will cripple
this genetic disease as well as affordable care acts for the “Sickle Cell Warriors''.
With the right information about its management, people living with the
disorder can stay healthy and live long.

Why not join the Campaign and prevent the death of a100,000 infant every year
from the disease... and 40million Nigerians with the genetic disorder?

Take a selfie with these inscription;I am (Your name) I support a #SickleCell free
generation!

[size=18pt] #LeaveTheSympathy #SupportTheAwaereness #ASickleCellFreeNation #TheSurvivingSpirit .. #TeamWarriors[/size]
2pic: My copy

Ymodulus
Patrickdarlins
Abali1
Mizmycoli
Priscaoge
Aridsexy
Tallesty1
Naijaboiy
Emusmith
Flawles
Davep
Agarawu23
TomFrench SNAZZY5050 FLOW1759 ADEMOLADEJI AYIMA WENSON SWAGGAVILLAGE SCENTMARLC AKPOSY JARIZOD FREEMANAN AGARAWU23 LEKINZ IAMSYNORD MEDORADO SOSIQDUDE LAMISPACo KIZMARTY JAYHANS WARRIBOY21 AFUYE RAPLAWD TOLZEAL Iamkingzlee Topahz Twaci Raplawd blebleswag and all

Cc: Lalasticlala
Ishilove

It's never too late to make it RIGHT.
Let's do this..,together we fight,together we conquer smiley
I support #ASICKLECELLFREEGENERATION smiley

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Dahjhi: 2:16pm On Jun 19, 2015
moneyspeaking:

Honey, please use your drugs and always stay hydrated.
Thats all.
#HePaidItAll
#HeIsAFather smiley

1 Like

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Dahjhi: 2:18pm On Jun 19, 2015
Kizmarty:

It's never too late to make it RIGHT.
Let's do this..,together we fight,together we conquer smiley
I support #ASICKLECELLFREEGENERATION smiley
NEH smiley
#SupportWarriors #SupportAPainFreeLife #KnowYourGenotypeBeforeMarriage smiley

1 Like

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by stonecoldcafe: 2:19pm On Jun 19, 2015
Abali1:

There's
AA, AS, AC, SS,SC,CC, Sickle Beta thalassemia, there maybe some others.
Those saying SC is not sickle Cell........Yinmu. When the pain comes, maybe you can tell someone who has SC that s/he is not living with sickle Cell.

Stunned!
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jun 19, 2015
treasuremabel:

a. Am a smart 18years old girl
b. No way! Am 18!
c. Well, I don't seem to understand this question, please shed more light if you don't mind
18? You look much older.
You go, girl!!

P.S: The fact that you may be 18 doesn't mean that you are too young for a relationship. Except you do not intend to yet, which is cool.

Soooo happy for you dear. May i call you my WARRIOR SISTER?

1 Like

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by IamJavier: 2:24pm On Jun 19, 2015
My humble self supports this!
Sound it!
#AsickleCellFreeNation #TheSurvivingSpirit
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jun 19, 2015
treasuremabel:

My own bible says wisdom is profitable to him that has it, therefore, get wisdom!
I can't no, I will never under any circumstance have anything intimate to do with an AS/SS guy not to talk of marriage
I chose to be guided by my experience as a warrior n the scientific rule
Don't get me wrong, I believe in faith n miracles but seeing a danger n jumping into it with the hope that a miracle would happen n protect you is absolute foolishness
WORD!
I'd rather prefer to be single all my life than have anything intimate to do with a guy who is not AA genotype!
Once bitten, twice shy!!
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jun 19, 2015
Chi59:

18? You look much older.
You go, girl!!

P.S: The fact that you may be 18 doesn't mean that you are too young for a relationship. Except you do not intend to yet, which is cool.

Soooo happy for you dear. May i call you my WARRIOR SISTER?

Am not even 'fully' 18 yet, still 17+ until august, that's when I will be completely 18,
Much older, yea you are not the only one who as said that.

As for the rel., am not just ready yet
Yes dear you can!
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jun 19, 2015
treasuremabel:

Following a mysterious bone pains at age 8, I found out I had sickle cell anaemia,
It wasn't easy to mange it then.
To start with,

Sickle cell is a blood disorder that is hereditary n starts from when one is born,
So what happened? Why did mine wait till I was 8 before it started?

Funny enough, my mum said I was never sick as a baby n the only problem I had was measles,
I grew curious n asked my doctor,
After a number of 'no idea' replies he came up with an hypoyhesis where he claimed that my healthy look n lack of crisis or sickle cell symptoms till age 8 was as a result of extensive breast feeding.
Still don't know if his hypothesis is wrong or right.

Life as a warrior wasn't easy but what helped me was the refusal to accept self pity in my life,
Crazy enough, I happen to belong to a class of people who are intelligent,
After coming first in exams, I kept telling myself on n on that I was better than those with normal RBCs
I believed it too n that worked for me!
I had a dream n I wanted to accomplish it irrespective of my health difference n the set backs I suffered as a sickler
I refused to receive pitied love, in fact I got disgusted when people became nicer to me just cos they found out I have sickle cell anaemia.
I refused to compromise, I dreamed like every normal person.

How did I do it all??
1. I just believed in myself
2. I took care of my health, you know, eat at the right time, avoided stuff that contained iron, avoided extremely bitter things, made sure the weather was conducive for me, drank lots of water n took fruits.
3. I never depended on the drugs
4. I set goals for myself
5. I discovered who I am n who I wanted to be
6. I gave no room to self pity or pity from others
7. I saw sickle cell anaemia as a challenge not a disease
8. I never allowed myself to get intimidated by those with normal RBCs
9. I just kept FIGHTING n NEVER GAVE UP.

Tell you what, I don't take folic acid everyday, I don't take any drugs at all currently but my lifestyle has kept me away from hospital for 1year n 8months now,

If I can do it....you can do better cos we all are warriors.

To those who have loved ones who are warriors, keep encouraging,
Its not easy but its POSSIBLE!

Let's spread the awareness n keep FIGHTING!

This is soooo nice. Thank you for sharing.I also pray that my father in Heaven will continue to be wit you.Amen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by stonecoldcafe: 2:46pm On Jun 19, 2015
sunnydayasaba:
Reading this stories reminds me of my pain, I lost a niece last 2 years that was just her first crisis at age 3,, Yesterday i also lost a cousin, a very close one at that to same major crisis. He collapsed playing football, he was in his final year at d university. I still have another small niece still a carrier, each time i look her in d face. I jst remember her late sister, she's 5 now and we make sure she take her drugs and watch her closely.

Now my elder bros wife is pregnant again, but where determine to do a foestus test to determine the child's Genotype before she puts to bed, if we found out d child is going to be a carrier, she will have to abort it. We cant take it anymore, it really hurt watching them go through pains during their crisis time.

Grt love to all Warriors, God will continue to strengthen you all.

You see this is something I don't get. This condition is preventable so when I hear of a single family having 2 or 3 SS kids, I am perplexed. I know some in the rural areas, poor, uneducated or those educated ones that simply didn't know in time past can be excused.

What I don't get is educated people who NOW know these things but choose to continue the cycle. What is the excuse in this day and age to knowingly do such? Its not even like we have the NHS in Nigeria.

I'm not saying AS/AS or SS/AS should not marry or so - who am I to stand in the path of love? But such people must have a health plan in place and follow it. I always advise friends to know their genotype before marriage.

If you know the risk but still choose to go ahead, then have a health plan, know your options, discuss with doctors and people who can assist then do your thing.

I have a friend who knew he was AS. He married a fellow AS and they lied to their family and church about it. They want to do this fertility treatment now but you don't want to know the side talk (esp the poor lady) they are getting over 3 years after marriage.

Those 'concerned' family members have no clue what this couple are going through or what they are putting in place! Its not easy but these are things people need to consider.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jun 19, 2015
treasuremabel:

Am not even 'fully' 18 yet, still 17+ until august, that's when I will be completely 18,
Much older, yea you are not the only one who as said that.

As for the rel., am not just ready yet
Yes dear you can!
August! Wow! That's my birth month. What's the exact date pls?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jun 19, 2015
Dahjhi:
NEH smiley

#SupportWarriors #SupportAPainFreeLife #KnowYourGenotypeBeforeMarriage smiley

smiley
okk

I #SupportWarriors #SupportAPainFreeLife AND DON'T FORGET THIS =====>>>>>>>> #KnowYourGenotypeBeforeMarriage
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jun 19, 2015
Chi59:

August! Wow! That's my birth month. What's the exact date pls?

8, yours?
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jun 19, 2015
Chi59:

WORD!
I'd rather prefer to be single all my life than have anything intimate to do with a guy who is not AA genotype!
Once bitten, twice shy!!

omor see free wife oo cheesy

I'm AA and blood group 0+ wink

when should we sound the bells tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jun 19, 2015
Kizmarty:

Funny
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Dahjhi: 3:12pm On Jun 19, 2015
Chi59:

WORD!
Once bitten, twice shy!!
#WiseChoice #SupportAPainFreeLife smiley

1 Like

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Dahjhi: 3:17pm On Jun 19, 2015
stonecoldcafe:

You see this is something I don't get. This condition is preventable so when I hear of a single family having 2 or 3 SS kids, I am perplexed. I know some in the rural areas, poor, uneducated or those educated ones that simply didn't know in time past can be excused.

What I don't get is educated people who NOW know these things but choose to continue the cycle. What is the excuse in this day and age to knowingly do such? Its not even like we have the NHS in Nigeria.

I'm not saying AS/AS or SS/AS should not marry or so - who am I to stand in the path of love? But such people must have a health plan in place and follow it. I always advise friends to know their genotype before marriage.

If you know the risk but still choose to go ahead, then have a health plan, know your options, discuss with doctors and people who can assist then do your thing.

I have a friend who knew he was AS. He married a fellow AS and they lied to their family and church about it. They want to do this fertility treatment now but you don't want to know the side talk (esp the poor lady) they are getting over 3 years after marriage.

Those 'concerned' family members have no clue what this couple are going through or what they are putting in place! Its not easy but these are things people need to consider.

[size=18pt]Why don't we leave the path of love? What is love with pains.. Holding on each night to watch your child in pains and looking forward to her death... #SayNo2SickleCellTreatMarriage2Day..... #SupportAPainFreeLife[/size]

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jun 19, 2015
treasuremabel:

8, yours?
23rd.
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jun 19, 2015
treasuremabel:

Funny

many marriage proposals once sounded like a joke wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by sunsewa: 3:18pm On Jun 19, 2015
treasuremabel:

Following a mysterious bone pains at age 8, I found out I had sickle cell anaemia,
It wasn't easy to mange it then.
To start with,

Sickle cell is a blood disorder that is hereditary n starts from when one is born,
So what happened? Why did mine wait till I was 8 before it started?

Funny enough, my mum said I was never sick as a baby n the only problem I had was measles,
I grew curious n asked my doctor,
After a number of 'no idea' replies he came up with an hypoyhesis where he claimed that my healthy look n lack of crisis or sickle cell symptoms till age 8 was as a result of extensive breast feeding.
Still don't know if his hypothesis is wrong or right.

Life as a warrior wasn't easy but what helped me was the refusal to accept self pity in my life,
Crazy enough, I happen to belong to a class of people who are intelligent,
After coming first in exams, I kept telling myself on n on that I was better than those with normal RBCs
I believed it too n that worked for me!
I had a dream n I wanted to accomplish it irrespective of my health difference n the set backs I suffered as a sickler
I refused to receive pitied love, in fact I got disgusted when people became nicer to me just cos they found out I have sickle cell anaemia.
I refused to compromise, I dreamed like every normal person.

How did I do it all??
1. I just believed in myself
2. I took care of my health, you know, eat at the right time, avoided stuff that contained iron, avoided extremely bitter things, made sure the weather was conducive for me, drank lots of water n took fruits.
3. I never depended on the drugs
4. I set goals for myself
5. I discovered who I am n who I wanted to be
6. I gave no room to self pity or pity from others
7. I saw sickle cell anaemia as a challenge not a disease
8. I never allowed myself to get intimidated by those with normal RBCs
9. I just kept FIGHTING n NEVER GAVE UP.

Tell you what, I don't take folic acid everyday, I don't take any drugs at all currently but my lifestyle has kept me away from hospital for 1year n 8months now,

If I can do it....you can do better cos we all are warriors.

To those who have loved ones who are warriors, keep encouraging,
Its not easy but its POSSIBLE!

Let's spread the awareness n keep FIGHTING!

good one,but if the profile picture attached to ur moniker is you,then u don't look like one.ride on God should be or strength.

1 Like

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by sunnydayasaba(m): 3:18pm On Jun 19, 2015
stonecoldcafe:

I think people now know better and the awareness is higher now. Most people made this mistake out of ignorance, Now people have the option of doing a foestus test to determine the child's genotype before its born and decide if they want to keep it or terminate the pregnancy, This was never available before. Some people don't even know their genotype until there ready to get married before, but now most people even ask before they start dating.

So i think things are changing gradually though and the awareness is getting stronger.

1 Like

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jun 19, 2015
Kizmarty:

Lolz..
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Ymodulus: 3:24pm On Jun 19, 2015
Picomon:

Don't use hydroxyurea yet, u shud only use it when d doctor prescribe it for u.

Folic acid is okay. Water and vegatables too do wonders. And stay away from blood tonic.

I'm also a warrior. Keep holding on!
Hydroxyurea, when you are used to it becomes self addictive and you begin to see a decline in effectivity.
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Ymodulus: 3:25pm On Jun 19, 2015
Dahjhi:
Before I read.. I'm joining the campaign..

Nlanders: Let's roll it..

It's the Sickle Cell Awareness Day!
Simply put, sickle cell anaemia is a hereditary genetic disease, which got its
name from the crescent-shaped red blood cells. These cells, instead of moving
freely through the blood vessels, tend to stick to the sides or walls of the blood
vessels thereby resulting in blockages. In the short term, it can cause severe
pains or infections while its long term consequences could be organ damage,
strokes and early deaths.
¤We advocate for investments in finding effective treatments that will cripple
this genetic disease as well as affordable care acts for the “Sickle Cell Warriors''.
With the right information about its management, people living with the
disorder can stay healthy and live long.

Why not join the Campaign and prevent the death of a100,000 infant every year
from the disease... and 40million Nigerians with the genetic disorder?

Take a selfie with these inscription;I am (Your name) I support a #SickleCell free
generation!

[size=18pt] #LeaveTheSympathy #SupportTheAwaereness #ASickleCellFreeNation #TheSurvivingSpirit .. #TeamWarriors[/size]
2pic: My copy

Ymodulus
Patrickdarlins
Abali1
Mizmycoli
Priscaoge
Aridsexy
Tallesty1
Naijaboiy
Emusmith
Flawles
Davep
Agarawu23
TomFrench SNAZZY5050 FLOW1759 ADEMOLADEJI AYIMA WENSON SWAGGAVILLAGE SCENTMARLC AKPOSY JARIZOD FREEMANAN AGARAWU23 LEKINZ IAMSYNORD MEDORADO SOSIQDUDE LAMISPACo KIZMARTY JAYHANS WARRIBOY21 AFUYE RAPLAWD TOLZEAL Iamkingzlee Topahz Twaci Raplawd blebleswag and all

Cc: Lalasticlala
Ishilove
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Abali1(m): 3:30pm On Jun 19, 2015
Valfrankie:
A big congratulations to all fellow warriors worldwide, I'm sure we all 've our stories to tell. As a warrior and a fresh graduate currently serving in Lagos, it 'll amaze you when I say I'm hearing impaired, though I wasn't born deaf. I do not despair cos I know I 've a GOD, and He hasn't abandoned me yet cos na my Big daddy Him be. GOD 'll see us all through our difficult moments, it's not easy but with GOD, we 'll overcome. No intimidation, harrassment, discrimination, crises or any infection 'll hold us back on this march to the top where we belong, we're warriors, we are special people in a shiny armour made only for the top and we 'll get there.

GOD be praised!
Long live all warriors worldwide!!
One Love brothers!!!
please send me a mail at abiaaba4@gmail.com, can't see your pm from NL.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

4 UNIPORT Teaching Hospital Nurses Die In Six Months, Staff Blame Workload / Nigerian Lady Dies In Liberia As Search Begins To Locate Her Family. Photos / 296 New COVID-19 Cases, 445 Discharged And 1 Death On August 27 - (3022 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.