Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,452 members, 7,826,736 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

The Sciences Discussion Thread. - Science/Technology (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Sciences Discussion Thread. (68979 Views)

Universe Or Multiverse. (A Discussion) / Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. / Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 7:57am On Jul 02, 2015
Teempakguy:
what am I supposed to do with just one second?
It is not even enough to find 2x2 angry

I will come back when we get 100 extra years grin grin
hehe....dats true, buh if we dont do that, we would be far behind time in the future.....
check here for a little explanation embarassed
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jul 02, 2015
RobinHez:
how true is the existence of dark matter?
chai, nah wah oh embarassed
See as all of you just pretend say you no see the concept wey dey above. embarassed

Dark matter is a theoretical concept needed to explain some discrepancies is astrophysics. smiley
It is therefore real. But, we do not know how it works. wink
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 3:30pm On Jul 02, 2015
Teempakguy:
chai, nah wah oh embarassed
See as all of you just pretend say you no see the concept wey dey above. embarassed

Dark matter is a theoretical concept needed to explain some discrepancies is astrophysics. smiley
It is therefore real. But, we do not know how it works. wink

lool....i already told u , u've watched too much sci-fi, dat thing is slated to be released in 2030......"when the technology needed is available"....wetin man talk put, when even the oyibo people sef never knw where to start...grin

i keep hearing abt darkmatter, dunno what it is...thanks sha, will read more on it.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 02, 2015
RobinHez:

lool....i already told u , u've watched too much sci-fi, dat thing is slated to be released in 2030......"when the technology needed is available"....wetin man talk put, when even the oyibo people sef never knw where to start...grin

i keep hearing abt darkmatter, dunno what it is...thanks sha, will read more on it.
dark matter is simply gravity from an invisible source. Imagine if the earth was invisible. Yet, it radiates gravity. smiley
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 4:38pm On Jul 02, 2015
Teempakguy:
dark matter is simply gravity from an invisible source. Imagine if the earth was invisible. Yet, it radiates gravity. smiley
Basically speaking, darks matters are just energy forms that are not luminous. . . extremely opaque and emits no form of photons
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Slimzjoe(m): 6:42pm On Jul 02, 2015
I tried doing a lil Research on that car and the response I got was

'Chill Till 2030' grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 7:00pm On Jul 02, 2015
Slimzjoe:
I tried doing a lil Research on that car and the response I got was

'Chill Till 2030' grin
hahaha...grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Slimzjoe(m): 7:14pm On Jul 02, 2015
RobinHez:

hahaha...grin

The Assignments Teempak Dey Gimme they Tear ma Head Sometimes
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 7:33pm On Jul 02, 2015
Slimzjoe:

The Assignments Teempak Dey Gimme they Tear ma Head Sometimes
the guy won make us scientists over-night grin , like say na we invent ebola cheesy
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by XploraBen(m): 7:37pm On Jul 02, 2015
Teempakguy:

Dedicated to preboy cheesy cheesy

The below is the Audi shark concept. Slated for production in the 2030's when, hopefully, the technology required to power it will be available. This spectacular concept was designed by kazim doku. He said he was inspired by motorcycles and aircraft. And I think he is totally on point with that.

Here it is. smiley

The car is a "hovcar" which means a car that hovers. cheesy as in, it floats a few inches from the ground when working but stationary.

At this point, I think a variety of technology can be used to achieve it. Such as electro-hydrodynamics, superconducting magnetism, or rocket science. smiley

I will be back to give a detailed hypothesis. In the mean time, feel free to add and subtract and of course, gape at the amazing ingenuity behind it.

Cc

Johnydon22
Robinhez
Slimzjoe
Xploraben
Freemanan
mrbillz
ELYMAXiimus

Feel free to mention additional people. smiley smiley

Cheers!
I'm just blown away shocked
As in the time is approaching when all of the technology invented/used in Sci-Fi movies will actually be brought to use in real life.

Technological advancement is taking a giant leap everyday in developed countries.Fro electric cars,to cars that run on gas,to wearable technologies,to robots...the list is interminable.Hope this could happen to Africa.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Slimzjoe(m): 9:11pm On Jul 02, 2015
RobinHez:

the guy won make us scientists over-night grin , like say na we invent ebola cheesy

No be small

But atleast E dey Inspire me to Read more
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 9:22pm On Jul 02, 2015
Slimzjoe:

No be small

But atleast E dey Inspire me to Read more
true. the guy is good, i also like dat johny guy only dat he doesnt believe in a God cheesy
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 02, 2015
XploraBen:
I'm just blown away shocked
As in the time is approaching when all of the technology invented/used in Sci-Fi movies will actually be brought to use in real life.

Technological advancement is taking a giant leap everyday in developed countries.Fro electric cars,to cars that run on gas,to wearable technologies,to robots...the list is interminable.Hope this could happen to Africa.
LOL, Africa is alwasys there to buy from advanced countries. embarassed
We really should start intensive research and development. angry
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 02, 2015
johnydon22:

Basically speaking, darks matters are just energy forms that are not luminous. . . extremely opaque and emits no form of photons
they only interact with gravitons.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Slimzjoe(m): 9:29pm On Jul 02, 2015
RobinHez:

true. the guy is good, i also like dat johny guy only dat he doesnt believe in a God cheesy

Science has a Way of Creating Doubts in our Mind....

Buh Anyone who doesn't Believe In something Is Confused
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 9:42pm On Jul 02, 2015
Slimzjoe:

lool
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 9:50pm On Jul 02, 2015
RobinHez:

lol
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 9:53pm On Jul 02, 2015
Slimzjoe:

Lmao the bolded needs clarification because "something" means "anything"...so in this regard it may mean believing anything at all i can come up with or assume up. . .so clarify what you mean by not believing in "something"? smiley
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 10:23pm On Jul 02, 2015
johnydon22:

lol
buh, is it not better to live ur life like there is a God and die then discover He doesnt exist, than living ur life in denial of Him, only to be reawakened to full acknowledgment of His existence?
#just saying

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Slimzjoe(m): 10:24pm On Jul 02, 2015
johnydon22:

Lmao the bolded needs clarification because "something" means "anything"...so in this regard it may mean believing anything at all i can come up with or assume up. . .so clarify what you mean by not believing in "something"? smiley

The "Something" in this Context is the Same Thing as "Anything" Sen¤r
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 10:44pm On Jul 02, 2015
Slimzjoe:

The "Something" in this Context is the Same Thing as "Anything" Sen¤r
Ok then bro. . i believe in love, i believe in babies, i believe in mum and dad, i believe in my girlfriend and i believe in you smiley
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 10:47pm On Jul 02, 2015
RobinHez:

buh, is it not better to live ur life like there is a God and die then discover He doesnt exist, than living ur life in denial of Him, only to be reawakened to full acknowledgment of His existence?
#just saying
Basically means you believe the existence of a god out of fear of what he might do to you if actually he exists. . . its looks more like you believe out of fear and in a bid to secure your own and not because you actually know one exists. . . assuming there indeed is a god, do you think you can deceive him?wink....lol...bro lets leave the godly talk for the religion section, lets talk science smiley

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Slimzjoe(m): 10:49pm On Jul 02, 2015
johnydon22:

Ok then bro. . i believe in love, i believe in babies, i believe in mum and dad and i believe in you smiley

Hahaa....Okay then
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 11:00pm On Jul 02, 2015
johnydon22:

Basically means you believe the existence of a god out of fear of what he might do to you if actually he exists. . . its looks more like you believe out of fear and in a bid to secure your own and not because you actually know one exists. . . assuming there indeed is a god, do you think you can deceive him?wink....lol...bro lets leave the godly talk for the religion section, lets talk science smiley
wise decision man...

but i dont believe outta fear, but out of the knowledge that i didnt come to be out of my own will...there must be an higher power directing the affairs of men smiley
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 11:06pm On Jul 02, 2015
RobinHez:

wise decision man...

but i dont believe outta fear, but out of the knowledge that i didnt come to be out of my own will...there must be an higher power directing the affairs of men smiley
They must, lol. . . basically shows you just think or imagine there is. . smiley By subjecting reality to what you feel should be, you have limited yourself to what might be.

anyway abeg i don't discuss religious inclined topics in the science section.... will be postulating my own hypothesis on the workings and plausible methods the hovering car teempakguy brought could be achieved
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 11:33pm On Jul 02, 2015
johnydon22:
They must, lol. . . basically shows you just think or imagine there is. . smiley By subjecting reality to what you feel should be, you have limited yourself to what might be.

anyway abeg i don't discuss religious inclined topics in the science section.... will be postulating my own hypothesis on the workings and plausible methods the hovering car teempakguy brought could be achieved
ok boss....hope we meet some other place grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:06am On Jul 03, 2015

Hi there!

Slimzjoe and Robinhez . . . I dey see you oh

South African songs are cool. You should listen to it sometimes. grin

Now, let me put forward an hypothesis concerning the hovcar above.

Using electro-hydrodynamics, the car is being raised a few centimetres aboive ground by ejecting a charged stream of air. You can think of it as a repulsor technology.
A formula I found on wikipedia is given by

F = Id/k

Where I is current, d is the distance between electrodes and k is a constant. Called the ion mobility coefficient of air, (Nominal value 2·10−4 m2 V−1 s−1)

This indicates that at a high enough current, one can generate enough force to lift a car like that up. However, this also presents a power problem.

Another idea makes use of magnetism. However, the roads will have to be made of metal. Also, there is also the problem of how to obtain superconductivity at high temperatures.

Which brings us to rocket science. Actually, I think rocket science is the best candidate here. Thrusters located under the car provide lift. Whether to use jets here or rockets is the problem. I would go with jets though. lipsrsealed gathering air from the sides of the vehicle, it is mixed with prestored and ignited. This causes an explosion which is then directed to thrusters under the car. Giving it thrust. Hydrogen can be easily acquired by stretches of solar panels that retrieve hydrogen from acidified water. Probably by commercial companies. smiley

At this point I drop the pen. Johnydon22 can continue from here.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 7:31am On Jul 03, 2015
Teempakguy:

Hi there!

Using electro-hydrodynamics, the car is being raised a few centimetres aboive ground by ejecting a charged stream of air. You can think of it as a repulsor technology.

F = Id/k

Where I is current, d is the distance between electrodes and k is a constant. Called the ion mobility coefficient of air, (Nominal value 2·10−4 m2 V−1 s−1)

This indicates that at a high enough current, one can generate enough force to lift a car like that up. However, this also presents a power problem.

Another idea makes use of magnetism. However, the roads will have to be made of metal. Also, there is also the problem of how to obtain superconductivity at high temperatures.

Which brings us to rocket science. Actually, I think rocket science is the best candidate here. Thrusters located under the car provide lift. Whether to use jets here or rockets is the problem. I would go with jets though. lipsrsealed gathering air from the sides of the vehicle, it is mixed with prestored and ignited. This causes an explosion which is then directed to thrusters under the car. Giving it thrust. Hydrogen can be easily acquired by stretches of solar panels that retrieve hydrogen from acidified water. Probably by commercial companies. smiley

At this point I drop the pen. can continue from here.
now having hundreds of these things in the air....dont u see what it could cause; health wise? fumes from cars are deadly enough not to talk of this...
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 10:19am On Jul 03, 2015
Teempakguy:

Hi there!

Slimzjoe and Robinhez . . . I dey see you oh

F = Id/k

Electro-hydrodynamics may achieve a lifting capability for the car but then again the amount of power needed for the energy needed to thrust the car upwards will be herculean. . . Working against a force of 10m/s we must provide at least a counter force of 11m/s then considering the weight. This option is totally unstable and power consuming not to talk of the inability for it to achieve levitation when the car is at rest (engine off) just like our model shows.

It may be possible but yet still herculean and not to mention unstable and overly expensive. . . wouldn't bank on this option

At this point I drop the pen. Johnydon22 can continue from here.
[b]I agree with this being the best candidate here seeing that the vehicle will require a relatively small amount of jet power to achieve flight. . But then just like robinHez said it would pose a threat of carbon(iv)(ii) oxide emissions which is bad enough with the number of cars we have now.

I recommend electro-magnetic repulsion. .4 different magnetic fields of two distinct charges are placed side by side powered by a high voltage battery to create a high magnetic repulsive flux, the 4magnetic fields pulling on each other achieving levitation. . . again this falls on the backbone of how to achieve the large amount of power needed.

And i think hybrid aircraft technology can be used too to achieve this.
{ A hybrid airship is an aircraft that combines characteristics of lighter-
than-air (LTA), airship technology with heavier-than-air (HTA)
technology, either fixed-wing or rotary-wing . A rotastat is a rotorcraft/
airship hybrid typically intended for heavy lift applications, while a
dynastat is a dynamic lift airship typically intended for long-range
cruising. No production designs have been built, but several manned and
unmanned prototypes have flown.
The term "hybrid airship" has also been used to describe an airship
combining elements of different types of airships.}
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_airship
[/b]
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 03, 2015
RobinHez:

now having hundreds of these things in the air....dont u see what it could cause; health wise? fumes from cars are deadly enough not to talk of this...
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Dude, chill. Igniting hydrogen doesn't produce pollution. It instead produces steam. wink
We are more likely to suffer from super-humidity than greenhouse gas pollution. smiley
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 10:56am On Jul 03, 2015
Teempakguy:
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Dude, chill. Igniting hydrogen doesn't produce pollution. It instead produces steam. wink
We are more likely to suffer from super-humidity than greenhouse gas pollution. smiley
still harmful angry
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 11:01am On Jul 03, 2015
RobinHez:
still harmful angry
steam ain't harmful its not carbon(ii)oxidetongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (34) (Reply)

Scientists Successfully Reverse Human Ageing Process (Pics) / Escaped Lion Found In Kano Zoo After Devouring Goats In Their Cage / Rare Orange-Eyed Owl Not Seen For Almost 125 Years Is Spotted In Malaysia (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.