Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,032 members, 7,818,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

The Sciences Discussion Thread. - Science/Technology (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Sciences Discussion Thread. (68838 Views)

Universe Or Multiverse. (A Discussion) / Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. / Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jun 28, 2015
Here is a rough cross section I found. By the way it looks, it seems johnydon22 and RobinHez are right.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jun 28, 2015
RobinHez:

ermmm...i had this kind of pulley in mind....

it doesnt have to be wheeled, it just needs enough man power to drag the stones up
the ropes slide?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 9:24pm On Jun 28, 2015
see what dr. craig smith had to say about the pyramids at Giza
The logistics of construction at the Giza site are staggering when you think that the ancient Egyptians had no pulleys, no wheels, and no iron tools. Yet, the dimensions of the pyramid are extremely accurate and the site was leveled within a fraction of an inch over the entire 13.1-acre base. This is comparable to the accuracy possible with modern construction methods and laser leveling. That's astounding. With their 'rudimentary tools,' the pyramid builders of ancient Egypt were about as accurate as we are today with 20th-century technology.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 9:25pm On Jun 28, 2015
Teempakguy:
Was there metal at that period? Check if that was the bronze or iron age.
It takes iron to accomplish what you are suggesting.

The stones for the starting levels of the pyramids were cut from a stone quarry.

it is likely during the bronze age seeing the pyramids during 2630BC's and thats the period the stone age were on. .

so they are likely to have used bronze tools in the stone quarry, carving and digging works
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 9:25pm On Jun 28, 2015
Teempakguy:
the ropes slide?
still a pulley cheesy
effort, overcoming load wink
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 9:29pm On Jun 28, 2015
Teempakguy:
fun ke?
It was a job for the slaves nah. Nobody cared about how "fun" it was. Only the end product. Which we now appreciate today. smiley

The workers quarters at the construction site were stone build edifices and their burial chambers too were remarkable, archeological evidences suggest the workers were skilled craft men (egyptians to be precise) and not slaves. . . And seeing archeological findings doesn't support the notion of large scaled slavery ever occurred in egypt. . . . . Remember we are dealing with the pharaoh here, more like a god figure.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 9:54pm On Jun 28, 2015
did you know the internet is part of the wonders of the world?
check out othERs here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonders_of_the_World

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by XploraBen(m): 10:07pm On Jun 28, 2015
johnydon22:
Hello guys can we discuss the mechanism we think was likely used to build the great pyramids.

Cc. Teempakguys help invite others, you know their monikers more than i do
In my hypothetical view:the area was laid out taking into account the square base of the pyramid,then the bricks were placed to conform to the pattern.At each layer,the bricks were reduced and made to align to that pyramidal pattern with which it was started.Now as the pyramid advance in height,an immense machine/pulley was used to transport the brick to the builders...because I don't think manual labour can be used all through.

I read it took them more than 10years to complete,substantiating the building process as arduously complicated!

Oh men it's not easy...lol
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jun 28, 2015
johnydon22:

The workers quarters at the construction site were stone build edifices and their burial chambers too were remarkable, archeological evidences suggest the workers were skilled craft men (egyptians to be precise) and not slaves. . . And seeing archeological findings doesn't support the notion of large scaled slavery ever occurred in egypt. . . . . Remember we are dealing with the pharaoh here, more like a god figure.
ah, but there were hierarchies. The skilled designers, the taskmasters, and the slaves that worked under them. Otherwise, it would be extremely difficult to achieve such an achievement as the pyramid in such a short time.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jun 28, 2015
XploraBen:

In my hypothetical view:the area was laid out taking into account the square base of the pyramid,then the bricks were placed to conform to the pattern.At each layer,the bricks were reduced and made to align to that pyramidal pattern with which it was started.Now as the pyramid advance in height,an immense machine/pulley was used to transport the brick to the builders...because I don't think manual labour can be used all through.

I read it took them more than 10years to complete,substantiating the building process as arduously complicated!

Oh men it's not easy...lol
it should have taken longer than that. They had mass labour.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 10:57pm On Jun 28, 2015
Teempakguy:
ah, but there were hierarchies. The skilled designers, the taskmasters, and the slaves that worked under them. Otherwise, it would be extremely difficult to achieve such an achievement as the pyramid in such a short time.

It was not a short time bro, it took thousands of skilled workers 10-20years to finish the pyramid and other minor structures that surrounds it
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jun 28, 2015
johnydon22:

It was not a short time bro, it took thousands of skilled workers 10-20years to finish the pyramid and other minor structures that surrounds it
20 years is a short time nah. grin
Like you said, thousands of workers. Given the kind of civilization ancient Egypt had, less than 30% of those were skilled. Now, they could have recruited labour by either religious propaganda or external slavery. Which do you think?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 11:11pm On Jun 28, 2015
Teempakguy:
20 years is a short time nah. grin
Like you said, thousands of workers. Given the kind of civilization ancient Egypt had, less than 30% of those were skilled. Now, they could have recruited labour by either religious propaganda or external slavery. Which do you think?
Lol. . . i definitely doubt 20years is a short time to build a pyramid with thousands of workers at work on the site. . . Slaves are likely to be used at the stone quarry and rode building sites (the great pyramids at gizza had a polished road running to it), Animal/slave labour may have been required for transporting the block of stones and maybe pulling up these stones too. . .

The accurate measurement of the pyramid require skilled masons with high knowledge on geometry... For the actual pyramid construction, it calls for great skill in masonry. . . And i don't think 20years is a small amount of time for thousands of these skilled craft men to finish the pyramid
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jun 28, 2015
johnydon22:

Lol. . . i definitely doubt 20years is a short time to build a pyramid with thousands of workers at work on the site. . . Slaves are likely to be used at the stone quarry and rode building sites (the great pyramids at gizza had a polished road running to it), Animal/slave labour may have been required for transporting the block of stones and maybe pulling up these stones too. . .

The accurate measurement of the pyramid require skilled masons with high knowledge on geometry... For the actual pyramid construction, it calls for great skill in masonry. . . And i don't think 20years is a small amount of time for thousands of these skilled craft men to finish the pyramid
I can come to a compromise by saying it is a mixture of skilled and unskilled labour. smiley
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 11:28pm On Jun 28, 2015
Teempakguy:
I can come to a compromise by saying it is a mixture of skilled and unskilled labour. smiley

Yeap, skilled labour for the pyramid itself and unskilled labour for the hard quarrying, carrying, lifting jobs. . .The pyramids are works of remarkable architectural and masonry masterpiece
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jun 28, 2015
johnydon22:

Yeap, skilled labour for the pyramid itself and unskilled labour for the hard quarrying, carrying, lifting jobs. . .The pyramids are works of remarkable architectural and masonry masterpiece
next, we determine, without wheels, how were materials transported? Both to and for and up and down?

I have a theory that they were dragged. But that does not account for how they lifted it. Robinhez as suggested a scaffolding system and a stiff pulley system. What are your thoughts on this?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 11:50pm On Jun 28, 2015
Teempakguy:
next, we determine, without wheels, how were materials transported? Both to and for and up and down?

I have a theory that they were dragged. But that does not account for how they lifted it. Robin hez as suggested a scaffolding system and a stiff pulley system. What are your thoughts on this?
another hypothesis is the use of mechanical cranes as seen in the gif attached (use a compatible browser or save in the gif format to view)

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 12:02am On Jun 29, 2015
RobinHez:

another hypothesis is the use of mechanical cranes as seen in the gif attached (use a compatible browser or save in the gif format to view)
I see it. . . . however, the stones used to build the pyramids are quite bigger than your crane can support, I think. The weight of the stones would snap the lever. Since it was probably made of wood. Below is a close up of the pyramid. See how the stones look like in comparison to humans. They are quite massive. And multiply that by the density of the material used in the stones, you have a very heavy substance that I don't think can be carried with wooden levers.

Johnydon22, what do you say here?

Perhaps they employed the use of an inclined plane? A metal inclined plane?

In fact, I cannot think of any material available to them with which they could have built any ropes strong enough to suspend those stones. embarassed

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 12:06am On Jun 29, 2015
Teempakguy:
I see it. . . . however, the stones used to build the pyramids are quite bigger than your crane can support, I think. The weight of the stones would snap the lever. Since it was probably made of wood. Below is a close up of the pyramid. See how the stones look like in comparison to humans. They are quite massive. And multiply that by the density of the material used in the stones, you have a very heavy substance that I don't think can be carried with wooden levers.

Johnydon22, what do you say here?

In fact, I cannot think of any material available to them with which they could have built any ropes strong enough to suspend those stones. embarassed

I think the crane hypothesis is very plausible, don't judge with the size of the crane depicted on the picture, it would be much larger in the real sense.

Don't forget woods were also used to build war catapults that hauls stones thrice that size many meters away. . .
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 12:08am On Jun 29, 2015
Teempakguy:

Johny don22, what do you say here?

the weight of the large stone is balanced by the wooden crate filled with stones making it possible for a person to pull the rope wink
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 12:09am On Jun 29, 2015
johnydon22:

I think the crane hypothesis is very plausible, don't judge with the size of the crane depicted on the picture, it would be much larger in the real sense.

Don't forget woods were also used to build war catapults that hauls stones thrice that size many meters away. . .
thrice that size? Are you sure?
The Egyptians inventing a crane before the wheel. Sounds . . . peculiar. cheesy
There is still the problem of ropes.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 12:10am On Jun 29, 2015
Teempakguy:

I have a theory that they were dragged. But that does not account for how they lifted it. Robinhez as suggested a scaffolding system and a stiff pulley system. What are your thoughts on this?

Dragging was replaced by the wheel method, so i think that dragging system was likely to have been used to transport the materials, maybe they employed a way of placing the stones on flat sheets that have smoothened surfaces and therefore has less friction with the ground, smoother, faster that an ordinary being dragged like that on the ground

For lifting, i go with RnbinHez hypothesis of manually pulled pulleys and the crane system also is a plausible option too
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 12:12am On Jun 29, 2015
RobinHez:

the weight of the large stone is balanced by the wooden crate filled with stones making it possible for a person pull the rope wink
and what happens when the cargo is offloaded?
Okay, I goes they would then have to offload the stones again. Sounds tiring. grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 12:14am On Jun 29, 2015
guys, u might wanna read this...
One of the first tasks of the pyramid builders who constructed the three pyramids shown above, was to build a track on which they could drag the large blocks from the quarry in the Arabian Hills to the River Nile where they were ferried up to the construction site. The work went on in three monthly shifts with one hundred thousand men in a single shift. It took ten years to build the track It took the same number of men twenty years to complete the Cheops pyramid. Originally the pyramids were smooth on the outside but through the thousands of years since construction this has disappeared revealing the tiers or steps underneath. Each tier is about a metre in height. The pyramids we built by kings as tombs or memorials of themselves and it is thought that they were started at the beginning of each reign and that the height corresponded with the length of each reign. The pyramid of Cheops was originally 146 metres high and the technology for lifting the blocks into position was well designed.
http://www.technologystudent.com/culture1/egypt1.htm
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 12:15am On Jun 29, 2015
Teempakguy:
and what happens when the cargo is offloaded?
Okay, I goes they would then have to offload the stones again. Sounds tiring. grin
like u pointed out...."meant for the slaves" wink
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 12:18am On Jun 29, 2015
johnydon22:

Dragging was replaced by the wheel method, so i think that dragging system was likely to have been used to transport the materials, maybe they employed a way of placing the stones on flat sheets that have smoothened surfaces and therefore has less friction with the ground, smoother, faster that an ordinary being dragged like that on the ground

For lifting, i go with RnbinHez hypothesis of manually pulled pulleys and the crane system also is a plausible option too
thank u grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 12:19am On Jun 29, 2015
johnydon22:

at what time was the dragging replaced? Besides, I meant they used sleds. They could not have dragged the stones on bare floor. That would have eaten away huge parts of the blocks due to friction. I vote sleds.

Also, they could have built ramps and then used cranes to drop the blocks into place. smiley
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by nurd(m): 10:59am On Jun 29, 2015
On it...
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 11:46am On Jun 29, 2015
check out this new invention from samsung.
"see through" technology, making vehicles at the back of a truck see whats going on in front of the truck.....
#safety measures

2 Shares

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by XploraBen(m): 12:55pm On Jun 29, 2015
RobinHez:
"see through" technology, making vehicles at the back of a truck see whats going on in front of the truck.....
#safety measures
This technology is essential,in that it'll gaurantee safety.But this will only be available to those who could afford it.

It should also be developed for cars...it's a plausible and welcome technology.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jun 29, 2015
RobinHez:
#safety measures
quite expensive. Don't you think?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 1:05pm On Jun 29, 2015
Teempakguy:
quite expensive. Don't you think?
well, companies use such vehicles....so it should be affordable for them.
i dont expect to buy a truck cuz of some fancy tv at the back.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (34) (Reply)

Scientists Successfully Reverse Human Ageing Process (Pics) / Escaped Lion Found In Kano Zoo After Devouring Goats In Their Cage / Rare Orange-Eyed Owl Not Seen For Almost 125 Years Is Spotted In Malaysia (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.