Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,137 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

The Sciences Discussion Thread. - Science/Technology (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Sciences Discussion Thread. (68963 Views)

Universe Or Multiverse. (A Discussion) / Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. / Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 7:09pm On Jul 06, 2015
teempakguy shey u see what i was saying the other day?
STAKEHOLDERS in Akwa Ibom State have rejected the plan to site of a nuclear power plant in the state. Instead, they called on the Federal Government to partner with the state at ensuring that, the independent power plant is put to maximum use for the benefit of all.
nobody wants to die yet grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 7:10pm On Jul 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
you got that right. grin

It seems I lack proper architectural background. Despite the fact that I love the subject.
Damn, architecture is bomb men. . love that shiit and am marvelled by ancient architecture and i read them well. . . in fact ancient architecture captured my interest that was why i read more about history too
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 06, 2015
RobinHez:
teempakguy shey u see what i was saying the other day?
nobody wants to die yet grin
grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
A nuclear power plant is different from an atomic battery nah.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Rilwayne001: 7:13pm On Jul 06, 2015
johnydon22:

lol. . .told you to stick aroundwink

many times when i hear some people makes assertions that are supposedly scientific in the religion section, i just slap my fore-head . . .it has gone all red due to numerous of such post, there have ruined my education honestly cheesy

I'm now sticking around. I'll ask question when necessary.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 06, 2015
johnydon22:

Damn, architecture is bomb men. . love that shiit and am marvelled by ancient architecture and i read them well. . . in fact ancient architecture captured my interest that was why i read more about history too
same here! Although, I have a higher preference to future hypothetical architecture. cool
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 7:18pm On Jul 06, 2015
Rilwayne001:

I'm now sticking around. I'll ask question when necessary.
Yeap we hope to get more questions and problems to be solved and discussed
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 7:19pm On Jul 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin A nuclear power plant is different from an atomic battery nah.
there's no such thing as big radiation and small radiation tongue
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 7:20pm On Jul 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
same here! Although, I have a higher preference to future hypothetical architecture. cool
[i]More complex and complicated architectural wonders will be hitting the world soon.

Maybe using the rear earth electro magnetic power we may come up with a hypothetical concept of a hovering house wink
[/b]
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 06, 2015
johnydon22:

[i]More complex and complicated architectural wonders will be hitting the world soon.

Maybe using the rear earth electro magnetic power we may come up with a hypothetical concept of a hovering house wink
[/b]
cheesy
It would be a magnificent concept.
Not sure what use we could find for it though.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jul 06, 2015
RobinHez:

there's no such thing as big radiation and small radiation tongue
iffah hear!
Bros, you too dey fear.

The source we will use is tritium. Amd johnydon22 will agree with me on this. Tritium can be handled safely.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 7:33pm On Jul 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
cheesy
It would be a magnificent concept.
Not sure what use we could find for it though.
Yeah such complex could come in handy if we start the use of flying cars. . .Its just a large scaled version of the hovering cushion tongue

fast sketch, don't laugh at my drawing grin,
[

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 7:39pm On Jul 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
iffah hear!
Bros, you too dey fear.

The source we will use is tritium. Amd joh2 will agree with me on this. Tritium can be handled safely.
i knw tritium is mildy radioactive...buh anytime i see the word 'radioactive' i just picture 'a flesh eating virus' ...lol
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 06, 2015
johnydon22:

Yeah such complex could come in handy if we start the use of flying cars. . .Its just a large scaled version of the hovering cushion tongue

fast sketch, don't laugh at my drawing grin,
[
oh don't worry, I won't. Robinhez will. grin grin
I see your point. This idea could especially come useful in deserts.
With floating house technology, the Sahara desert would become full of cities in no time. cheesy
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 7:42pm On Jul 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
oh don't worry, I won't. Robin hez will. grin grin
With floating house technology, the Sahara desert would become full of cities in no time. cheesy
at least he has a wonderful writting tongue
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jul 06, 2015
RobinHez:

i knw tritium is mildy radioactive...buh anytime i see the word 'radioactive' i just picture 'a flesh eating virus' ...lol
I once had the same fear. But eventually, I discovered.

Na something go kill person. grin

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 7:46pm On Jul 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
oh don't worry, I won't. Robinhez will. grin grin
Hahahahahaha i sabi draw ooo cheesy seriously i wont be surprised if we see this in the nearest future
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 7:48pm On Jul 06, 2015
Teempakguy:

Yeah but still wouldn't like to be killed by radioactivity tho grin no be fear o buh that shiit is worse than cancer cheesy
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jul 06, 2015
RobinHez:
at least he has a wonderful wtitting tongue
cool cool
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 06, 2015
johnydon22:

Yeah but still wouldn't like to be killed by radioactivity tho grin no be fear o buh that shiit is worse than cancer cheesy
yeah, it typically causes leukemia. embarassed
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by XploraBen(m): 8:31pm On Jul 06, 2015
sad shocked cry Hmmmmm I've my fears for how futuristic technology will drastically alter the way we live.The discourse you guys are having about this futuristic architectural concept make it seem it'll have little devastation on our ecosystem--but I disagree.

The architectural designs of the cities in those two pictures will greatly increase the build-up of greenhouse gases due to the burning of fossil fuels,and arable land will be used up!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 8:33pm On Jul 06, 2015
Teempakguy:

lool
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by menesheh(m): 9:12pm On Jul 06, 2015
johnydon22:

Yeap we hope to get more questions and problems to be solved and discussed

Are people kidding me.

the chat between you and Teempakguy is seriously getting enticing.

hope this not a plight to invoke jealousy among we non-core science base peeps cheesy

Nice one. keep greasing the thread.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Queed: 9:13pm On Jul 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
you said you wanted in on the atomic battery concept?

yes I do smiley
so what's your idea, perhaps, I could see reasons why it just might work
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by menesheh(m): 9:20pm On Jul 06, 2015
XploraBen:
sad shocked cry Hmmmmm I've my fears for how futuristic technology will drastically alter the way we live.The discourse you guys are having about this futuristic architectural concept make it seem it'll have little devastation on our ecosystem--but I disagree.

disagreeing doesn't count on anything with the pace science is advancing in the past 150 years or so.

i do have the same feelings sometimes.

Fantasized alien tech becoming a reality in our time. fvck undecided
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 9:22pm On Jul 06, 2015
menesheh:

Are people kidding me.

hope this not a plight to invoke jealousy among we non-core science base peeps cheesy

You may do well to join us bro smiley
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by menesheh(m): 9:25pm On Jul 06, 2015
johnydon22:
You may do well to join us bro smiley

i tellsss you!!!!!

menn i don't want to fall hand grin grin grin

better i keep off
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jul 06, 2015
menesheh:

Are people kidding me.

it probably is . . . lipsrsealed
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 06, 2015
Queed:

yes I do smiley
so what's your idea, perhaps, I could see reasons why it just might work

it seems everyone here is getting into the habit of customizing their text. Well, I might as well join in. wink

Ah, there we go cheesy

Now. We know in radioactivity, there are three kinds of spontaneous radiation. Of these, two are charged. We know them to be the beta particles, which are electrons, and Alpha particles. Using solid state physics, we can trap these charges. And convert them into current electricity. The main concept is not difficult. However, nature is a bitch and as such, problems and complications arise when putting a beta voltaic to practical use.

The below is a list of its problems which I found in a suite where it was suggested the tech be used to power phones.

Power produced is non-adjustable. The battery produces power at nearly constant rate (slowly decaying with time). It cannot be increased and if not consumed (or stored) the power is lost.

(Mentioned by DumpsterDoofus) low power density. 63Ni for instance produces ~5 W/kg (and kg here is just mass of radioactive material, the actual battery would be at least order of magnitude heavier). There are, of course isotopes with power densities much higher but they encounter other problems.

Semiconductor damage. If we try to increase power by using isotopes with higher decay energies we find that the high energy electrons damage semiconductors, reducing service life of batteries to times much shorter than isotope halflife. Alpha particles, especially, damage the p-n junctions, so even though (for instance) 238Pu produces 0.55 W/g of alpha radiation, it is mainly used in the thermoelectric schemes rather than in direct energy converters.

Gamma radiation. Many isotopes has gamma emission as a secondary mode of decay. Since this type of radiation is difficult to shield, this means that the selection of isotopes usable for batteries is limited only to pure beta emitters.

Bremsstrahlung. Electrons braking produces this type of radiation, that had to be shielded. Again, this limits our selection of isotopes to those with relatively low decay energies.

Low volume of production / Economics. Many isotopes cost too much to be practical in wide array of applications. This is partly explained by low volume of production and partly by production process which will be costly at all volumes because it requires energy consuming isotope separation and special facilities for working with radioactive materials. For instance, tritium (one of the materials for betavoltaics) costs about $30 000 per gram and its world annual production is 400 g (from wikipedia).

All this means, that nuclear batteries are limited to a selection of niche applications, typically those with low power / long autonomous lifetime requirements. That is not to say that there can't be innovations expanding their use or reducing costs.

[1] Tsvetkov, L. A., et al. "Possible Way To Industrial Production of Nickel-63 and the Prospects of Its Use." (2005). online version

Update. Your updated calculations on power output from 63Ni is essentially correct with one crucial distinction: 67 keV is total decay energy and approximately maximum energy of electron. But, since the decay also produces neutrino the mean energy of electron is much smaller: 17 keV (look at this NUDAT reference, or this java applet for electron spectrum). So the usable power from 1 mole of 63Ni is:
W=63Ni specific activity×17keV×63g=0.36W,
where specific activity could be, for instance, taken from Wolfram Alpha. This is not sufficient to provide iPhone peak power consumption, which is about 1.5 W (see my reason 1).

Incidentally, we come to one more reason (though not, strictly speaking, related to physics):

Safety / Regulations / Perception: 63 grams of 63Ni constitute more than 3500 curie of radioactivity, which would definitely require regulations for handling and probably would not be allowed inside a single unit for unrestricted civilian use. We know that when properly used betavoltaics are safe. But what about im-proper use / improper disposal / potential for abuse? At any rate, current perception of nuclear power by general public is not that good, so marketing nuclear batteries will present certain challenge.

My intention is to bypass these disadvantages and make the atomic battery a reality. smiley

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jul 06, 2015
I don come again. angry

Look at these pictures.

Yes. Scientists intend to build a bloody elevator. Stretching from the surface of the earth, and extending two thousand, three hundred miles above the earth's surface. Having a length of more than five times the radius of the earth! shocked shocked

Share your views. smiley

I don't really think it's a brilliant idea persay. But the technology required to build such can be repurposed to build other more impressive and more useful things.

LOL grin grin

It seems that the person who came up with this idea wa actually a mad scientist. His name is Konstantin Tsiolkovsky and he looks like this.

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Dahprech(f): 11:34pm On Jul 06, 2015
@teempakguy abeg share with me were u get al dis ur research frm they're very interesting kudos to u anyway
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jul 06, 2015
Dahprech:
@teempakguy abeg share with me were u get al dis ur research frm they're very interesting kudos to u anyway
cheesy cheesy
Thank you!

Well, usually, they're from Google, but there is also wikipedia and physics forums and quora.also, there are often hidden secrets in textbooks and stuff like that.

You might also like Hongkiat.com and deviantart.com

Lots of sites out there. Waiting for you to discover them. It all starts with a little curiosity. smiley

Thanks again! cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 11:59pm On Jul 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
I don come again. angry

Look at these pictures.

Yes. Scientists intend to build a bloody elevator. Stretching from the surface of the earth, and extending two thousand, three hundred miles above the earth's surface. Having a length of more than five times the radius of the earth! shocked shocked

Share your views. smiley

I don't really think it's a brilliant idea persay. But the technology required to build such can be repurposed to build other more impressive and more useful things.

LOL grin grin

It seems that the person who came up with this idea wa actually a mad scientist. His name is Konstantin Tsiolkovsky and he looks like this.

He is a mad genius i agree but yet again in the arena of scientific innovations, madness is actually a plus wink
In avatar, Avatar aang told Bumi "you are a mad genius"

If such technological wonder is achieved, no doubt it would be a great revolution to the world of space travel, it would be easier and the link gap between earth and space will be lessened a bit.

An ordinary lay man can then go to space for sight seeing and back and no doubt our children would go to space on excursions for science class project cheesy (lucky bastards grin)

i actually think its a nice idea but a very mad one at that. . .the ISS currently the most expensive man made structure will be jealous when compared to the cost this baby will worth. . .its a huge technological leap of faith which am sure gives goose bumps to those conceiving it in their minds

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (34) (Reply)

Scientists Successfully Reverse Human Ageing Process (Pics) / Escaped Lion Found In Kano Zoo After Devouring Goats In Their Cage / Rare Orange-Eyed Owl Not Seen For Almost 125 Years Is Spotted In Malaysia (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.