Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,096 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

The Sciences Discussion Thread. - Science/Technology (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Sciences Discussion Thread. (68783 Views)

Universe Or Multiverse. (A Discussion) / Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. / Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 12:41am On Jul 07, 2015
The elevator journeys would take extremely long periods of time though. cheesy

Yes, what scientist does not crave that hint of insanity to push his creativity over the edge. grin

It would be very expensive. Even more than the ISS and would take the cooperation of many international bodies and countries. But well, isn't that what they did with the ISS? shouldn't be a problem.

Don't mind the kids! grin grin they won't get too enjoy what we have enjoyed anyway tongue
But if they do this . . . and succeed . . . by GOD . . . humanity would have proverbially built the tower of Babel!

Space booked to the greatest achievement . . . . possibly, of this century!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 1:10am On Jul 07, 2015
Teempakguy:
The elevator journeys would take extremely long periods of time though. cheesy

Yes, what scientist does not crave that hint of insanity to push his creativity over the edge. grin
It would be very scary too but its worth it, imagine the incredible view cool it would be wonderful.

It would be very expensive. Even more than the ISS and would take the cooperation of many international bodies and countries. But well, isn't that what they did with the ISS? shouldn't be a problem.
I think it would take 50× what they spent on ISS

Don't mind the kids! grin grin they won't get too enjoy what we have enjoyed anyway tongue
But if they do this . . . and succeed . . . by GOD . . . humanity would have proverbially built the tower of Babel!
Lmao at tower of babel, anyway tower of babel wasn't as tall as an average sky scraper now tho. .it was a temple built at the center of babylonia for the worship of the babylonian sun god maduk.. it was the tallest building in babylonia tho, the taller the nearer to the sun. ancient thinking tho, those guys are funny cheesy

Space booked to the greatest achievement . . . . possibly, of this century!
I seriously need then to accelerate things because i really need to see these stuffs before my time is up. . . aaaaw this make me wish i wasn't born yet undecided
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by kodeya(m): 11:44am On Jul 07, 2015

This forum is just too interesting. Science in practical applications in day to day activities and possible future use as discussed here is good.
***‎

I use to like Thomas Edison, but I dropped him when I learnt about his beef with that mad scientist, Nikolas Tesla.

I learnt it originated when Edison failed to keep his promise to his then consultant, Tesla. 

*Tesla was offered the task of completely redesigning the Edison Company's direct current generators. In 1885, he said that he could redesign Edison's inefficient motor and generators, making an improvement in both service and economy. According to Tesla, Edison remarked,

"There's fifty thousand dollars in it for you—if you can do it."

This has been noted as an odd statement from an Edison whose company was stingy with pay and who did not have that sort of cash on hand.  After months of work, Tesla fulfilled the task and inquired about payment. Edison, saying that he was only joking, replied, "Tesla, you don't understand our American humor." Instead, Edison offered a US$10 a week raise over Tesla's US$18 per week salary; Tesla refused the offer and immediately resigned. (Wikipedia) *

Edison was reported to have publicly electrocuted animals with AC power source in bid to discourage the public against the use of AC, to favour his own DC power source. ‎

I think we know who  won the 'current war' at the end of the day.

I think,  *Edison was one level of science. Tesla was many levels higher. His wireless electricity wins it big time for me.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 11:49am On Jul 07, 2015
abeg, can we reduce the amount of big words we use in here? it has scared the over 200 youths dat signed up for this thread in the early pages.

Thanks! smiley
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jul 07, 2015
kodeya:

This forum is just too interesting. Science in practical applications in day to day activities and possible future use as discussed here is good.
***‎

I use to like Thomas Edison, but I dropped him when I learnt about his beef with that mad scientist, Nikolas Tesla.

I learnt it originated when Edison failed to keep his promise to his then consultant, Tesla. 

*Tesla was offered the task of completely redesigning the Edison Company's direct current generators. In 1885, he said that he could redesign Edison's inefficient motor and generators, making an improvement in both service and economy. According to Tesla, Edison remarked,

This has been noted as an odd statement from an Edison whose company was stingy with pay and who did not have that sort of cash on hand.  After months of work, Tesla fulfilled the task and inquired about payment. Edison, saying that he was only joking, replied, "Tesla, you don't understand our American humor." Instead, Edison offered a US$10 a week raise over Tesla's US$18 per week salary; Tesla refused the offer and immediately resigned. (Wikipedia) *

Edison was reported to have publicly electrocuted animals with AC power source in bid to discourage the public against the use of AC, to favour his own DC power source. ‎

I think,  *Edison was one level of science. Tesla was many levels higher. His wireless electricity wins it big time for me. 
unlike Tesla, Edison was not a genius. He was simply a business man. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 07, 2015
RobinHez:
abeg, can we reduce the amount of big words we use in here? it has scared the over 200 youths dat signed up for this thread in the early pages.

Thanks! smiley
embarassed
But they could always tell us to explain our big words nah. embarassed

Johnydon22, what do you have to say about this?

Personally, I don't think our vocabulary scared them away. I think the reason the signed up in the first place was just a plot to look good on a front page article. Such is the state of Nigeria. The youths would rather blame the government for their predicaments than use their brains and engage in constructive discourse.
After now, they will be claiming that soon, they will be richer than dangote. That can never happen. lipsrsealed
I'm especially saddened with the females. They cry feminism from thread to thread and yet cannot give reasonable contributions in a thread like this.
Victoriabee and misssclassy especially. angry

Anyways, no worries. grin
Only two percent of the population has a gifted IQ. And two hundred signed up . . . it then follows that just four are expected to continue tongue

Good afternoon. smiley

2 Likes

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 07, 2015
johnydon22:
It would be very scary too but its worth it, imagine the incredible view cool it would be wonderful.
of course. It would also eliminate rockets and open up the trip to the layman. Like you and I cheesy

I think it would take 50× what they spent on ISS
most of that money will be spent oin research. I heard they are going for graphene or carbon nanotube matrix. The problem now is to find a way to produce that on a macroscopic scale without compromising integrity. An herculean task indeed. grin
Lmao at tower of babel, anyway tower of babel wasn't as tall as an average sky scraper now tho. .it was a temple built at the center of babylonia for the worship of the babylonian sun god maduk.. it was the tallest building in babylonia tho, the taller the nearer to the sun. ancient thinking tho, those guys are funny cheesy
LOL . . . in the bible, God was said to have stopped the building of the tower by causing confusion and dispersal among the builders by changing their languages. Now, 5000 years later, to build this, humans have bypassed the language barrier and are coming together to build the original structure that will lead straight to heaven as we know it. What an hilarious twist of fate. cheesy cheesy cheesy
I wonder what God will do this time. lipsrsealed

I seriously need then to accelerate things because i really need to see these stuffs before my time is up. . . aaaaw this make me wish i wasn't born yet undecided
[/quote] I know, right?
Well, with the current acceleration of development, I expect the dream to come to reality in forty years. Try and stay alive till then while achieving scientific breakthrough and they will give you an honor ride. tongue
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 1:25pm On Jul 07, 2015
Teempakguy:
embarassed

Johny don22, what do you have to say about this?

Personally, I don't think our vocabulary scared them away. I think the reason the signed up in the first place was just a plot to look good on a front page article. Such is the state of Nigeria. The youths would rather blame the government for their predicaments than use their brains and engage in constructive discourse.
After now, they will be claiming that soon, they will be richer than dangote. That can never happen. lipsrsealed
I'm especially saddened with the females. They cry feminism from thread to thread and yet cannot give reasonable contributions in a thread like this.

Only two percent of the population has a gifted IQ. And two hundred signed up . . . it then follows that just four are expected to continue tongue

Good afternoon. smiley
i respect ur opinion, but why i raised up dat point was because of peeps like me. I remember struggling in Chemistry classes back in Sech. school (even till now) because I had a 'lecturer for a teacher'. The dude made it look so complex dat i almost became a tout, he comes through the front door, i leave through the back door grin

what am i saying, some peeps get scared and intimidated once the first thing they see is a string of complex scientifical terms or theories...some actually signed up to learn, buh they'd be like "these things are above my level" (Johny's 96% youths come to mind grin)
some actually have the idea of things discussed, but because they cant quote like wikipedia or write like Newton (especially when they see others dissecting questions seamlessly) they just loose motivation to keep up. hence the numerous ghost readers.

I liked the first article u wrote here that braine atom photons ish...i love the concept, the way u played with it but still not compromising the real facts..it attracted people and they wanted to know more, now dats what am talking about....

well its just my opinion sha...but understand dat not everyone must have an high IQ wink e.g, after kowalski's numerous attempt at a project, Private suggested he add sugar (cuz the mixture wasnt sweet...lol) but he was right as kowalski shouted EUREKA, he then explained the action of glucose on the something he was doing he den called Private a genius, dat made the little guy chuckle... (from penguins of madagascar. . .yeah i watch cartoons alot tongue)
lets draw people closer, lets make them feel comfortable...i will tag some of my fellow uniben aspirants here so they can discover this thread too . smiley
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 1:38pm On Jul 07, 2015
princecalm, fredahlicious, pukka36, nolio, clintonopah, doctorab, alphafrank, brian10, medwhite0, lordkvng, ....etc

i cant be selfish, this is where u guys should make a second home, as science students, u'll gain alot.....
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Princecalm(m): 2:04pm On Jul 07, 2015
RobinHez:
it makes alot of sense.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 2:08pm On Jul 07, 2015
Princecalm:
hope u'll be following? smiley
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Princecalm(m): 2:20pm On Jul 07, 2015
RobinHez:
hope u'll be following? smiley
sure

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Queed: 2:29pm On Jul 07, 2015
kodeya:

***‎

yeah Edison was more of a business man, though some people believe they were enemies, many others think they were more of friends than enemies, I am one of such smiley .

At the time that power grids which lined major cities were first built, there was no convenient way to change the voltage of DC power, whereas using a transformer made that relatively easy for AC power. That is why AC power won the “war of the currents”

The only significant advantage AC has over DC is that it can be step up or down easily and efficiently

DC has It's own advantage too smiley

» Every current that oscillate, radiate some amount of energy, this is prevented using DC
» There are no losses due to skin effect
and there are many more bro....

HVDC (high voltage DC) has evolved a lot, and is now the best way to transmit large amounts of power great distances.
There are many Countries in world switch from AC to DC ;the West, Chinese etc..

ain't beefing tesla, he is one of my favourite smiley

HVDC has come to stay!!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Queed: 2:37pm On Jul 07, 2015
RobinHez:

i respect ur opinion, but why i raised up dat point was because of peeps like me. I remember struggling in Chemistry classes back in Sech. school (even till now) because I had a 'lecturer for a teacher'. The dude made it look so complex dat i almost became a tout, he comes through the front door, i leave through the back door grin

what am i saying, some peeps get scared and intimidated once the first thing they see is a string of complex scientifical terms or theories...some actually signed up to learn, buh they'd be like "these things are above my level" (Johny's 96% youths come to mind grin)
some actually have the idea of things discussed, but because they cant quote like wikipedia or write like Newton (especially when they see others dissecting questions seamlessly) they just loose motivation to keep up. hence the numerous ghost readers.

I liked the first article u wrote here that braine atom photons ish...i love the concept, the way u played with it but still not compromising the real facts..it attracted people and they wanted to know more, now dats what am talking about....

well its just my opinion sha...but understand dat not everyone must have an high IQ wink e.g, after kowalski's numerous attempt at a project, Private suggested he add sugar (cuz the mixture wasnt sweet...lol) but he was right as kowalski shouted EUREKA, he then explained the action of glucose on the something he was doing he den called Private a genius, dat made the little guy chuckle... (from penguins of madagascar. . .yeah i watch cartoons alot tongue)
lets draw people closer, lets make them feel comfortable...i will tag some of my fellow uniben aspirants here so they can discover this thread too . smiley

johnydon22 !!!!!!!!
Teempakguy !!!

This small boy has said it all angry angry
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 2:50pm On Jul 07, 2015
Queed:

johnydon22 !!!!!!!! Teempakguy !!!
This small boy has said it all angry angry

loool who you calling small? u want me to upload pictures of my beards? grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 07, 2015
RobinHez:
princecalm, fredahlicious, pukka36, nolio, clintonopah, doctorab, alphafrank, brian10, medwhite0, lordkvng, ....etc

i cant be selfish, this is where u guys should make a second home, as science students, u'll gain alot.....
if its gonna help me....hm in
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 3:02pm On Jul 07, 2015
Fredahlicious:
if its gonna help me....hm in
good girl!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jul 07, 2015
RobinHez:

GREAT!!! Where?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 3:05pm On Jul 07, 2015
Brian10:
GREAT!!! Where?
feel free here..
mehn if u see hot discussion ehn...cheesy just check previous pages....am killing dem here grin lipsrsealed
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 07, 2015
Teempakguy:
embarassed

Johnydon22, what do you have to say about this?

Good afternoon. smiley

You are definitely high on a cow dung. grin
Do you think there's a job for someone with weak G.P?
I only faff and while away my time(s) on Nairaland when i am less busy or done with a semester.
As for now, i recently resumed and you don't expect me to come online discussing trivialities.
As for your feminism reference, pray tell, did ALL feminists discuss with you that they are science-inclined? Even though i am.

Such pettiness! And i'm not sure this thread welcomes medicine-oriented. undecided
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 07, 2015
RobinHez:
feel free here..
mehn if u see hot discussion ehn...cheesy just check previous pages....am killing dem here grin lipsrsealed
Lol.. I believe you
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 07, 2015
VictoriaBee:

I only faf and while away my time(s) on Nairaland when i am less busy or done with semester.
As for now, I recently resumed and you don't expect me to come online discussing trivialities.
As for your feminism reference, pray tell, did ALL feminists discuss with you that they are science-inclined? Even though I am.

Such pettiness! And I'm not sure this thread welcomes medicine-oriented. undecided
riigghht . . .
Nevermind. Carry on. smiley
calling you here was a mistake.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by JoeCutie(m): 3:35pm On Jul 07, 2015
VictoriaBee:

I only faff and while away my time(s) on Nairaland when i am less busy or done with a semester.
As for now, i recently resumed and you don't expect me to come online discussing trivialities.
As for your feminism reference, pray tell, did ALL feminists discuss with you that they are science-inclined? Even though i am.

Such pettiness! And i'm not sure this thread welcomes medicine-oriented. undecided
Cow dung?!There!!! YYou're wicked! grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Queed: 3:40pm On Jul 07, 2015
Teempakguy:
it seems everyone here is getting into the habit of customizing their text. Well, I might as well join in. wink

Ah, there we go cheesy

Now. We know in radioactivity, there are three kinds of spontaneous radiation. Of these, two are charged. We know them to be the beta particles, which are electrons, and Alpha particles. Using solid state physics, we can trap these charges. And convert them into current electricity. The main concept is not difficult. However, nature is a bitch and as such, problems and complications arise when putting a beta voltaic to practical use.

The below is a list of its problems which I found in a suite where it was suggested the tech be used to power phones.

My intention is to bypass these disadvantages and make the atomic battery a reality. smiley

[I]And how do you intend bypassing these numerous disadvantages [/I]
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 07, 2015
RobinHez:

robinhez . . . You are a genius!
I've honestly never thought of this . . . I simply assumed that they ought to just get along.
Well, new rules, i will try to use more mainstream vocabulary and i will attach pictures where there is no simpler grammer. cheesy
the reason i'm actually like this is because i spend a lot of time on graduate science forums. I seem to have forgotten my pals.

Anyway. Since you liked the brane concept, i will try to bring up something cool like that. Maybe on mathematics or medicine.

Meanwhile, i love penguins of madagascar tongue kowalski na die. grin

i also noticed johnydon's 96 percent youths love money. grin
time to burst out the science of RAW CASH.

cheers!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 3:48pm On Jul 07, 2015
Teempakguy:
robin hez . . . You are a genius!
I've honestly never thought of this . . . I simply assumed that they ought to just get along.
Well, new rules, i will try to use more mainstream vocabulary and i will attach pictures where there is no simpler grammer. cheesy
the reason i'm actually like this is because i spend a lot of time on graduate science forums. I seem to have forgotten my pals.

Anyway. Since you liked the brane concept, i will try to bring up something cool like that. Maybe on mathematics or medicine.

Meanwhile, i love penguins of madagascar tongue kowalski na die. grin

i also noticed johnydon's 96 percent youths love money. grin
time to burst out the science of RAW CASH.

cheers!
cool wink cool
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 07, 2015
Teempakguy:
riigghht . . . Nevermind. Carry on. smiley calling you here was a mistake.

You called me rudely with some snide marks. Apologies undecided
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 3:50pm On Jul 07, 2015
VictoriaBee:

of course not...y'all are more than welcome, am even tired of hearing about these future technologists stories here grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 07, 2015
JoeCutie:

gringringrin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 07, 2015
JoeCutie:
i don't even know why she had to say that.
At the point where she mentioned triviality, i knew it was over.

Nice diary, dude!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Jorussia(m): 3:53pm On Jul 07, 2015
VictoriaBee:

gringringrin
Vicky, if you don't mind,follow me back,please.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Queed: 3:53pm On Jul 07, 2015
VictoriaBee:

No blood stuffs here pleas embarassed embarassed

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (34) (Reply)

Scientists Successfully Reverse Human Ageing Process (Pics) / Escaped Lion Found In Kano Zoo After Devouring Goats In Their Cage / Rare Orange-Eyed Owl Not Seen For Almost 125 Years Is Spotted In Malaysia (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.