Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? (4101 Views)

Why Are Nigerian Men Crazy About Big Butts? / 20 Romantically Whack Photoshop Tweaks / Can A Nigerian Girl And Her Father Be Romantically Involved? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by Chigszy(f): 4:55pm On Oct 19, 2005
it is sad to say but a lot of nigerian guys i have meet or talked to who tried to be romantic just dont have it in them... they start reciting poetry to you and these kind of poetry are not the ones to blow your mind away they are the kind of poems that makes you want to punch them and ask them to shut up. i actually told a guy off because he was just getting on my nerve.. and the poems that he apparently came up with were lyrics from couple of songs that i recognised...

their favourite happens to be lyrics from boys II men..... and the lines are ridiculous like this guy said oh "that before he met me he was not breathing and then me met and he started breathing"!!!!!!!... a whole load of crap. i was thinking men i could just kill you right now.. that is sooooooo rediculous and Annoying and i feel embarassed for them because they think that they are really good...

are you guys lacking in imagination or just struggling with English?

sad...sad...sad!!!!! cry angry sad

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by hotangel2(f): 5:36am On Oct 20, 2005
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Leave them alone oo. They r trying to be romantic, hopefully they'll achieve their dreams. I guess i'll wait for the guess to comment on this one.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by smiley(f): 6:23pm On Oct 21, 2005
economic situation cheesy no finace for all those lovie doviie stuff
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by icingbaby(f): 11:21pm On Oct 28, 2005
I don't know what with the poem, I will like to know too. smiley
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by babadudu(m): 2:58am On Nov 01, 2005
Hi Chigszy,

Tell me about your romantic scenarios......or what your definition of being romantic is.....that might help us. Also, why is it that you attract such Nigerian men?  wink
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by kikelomo(f): 1:10pm On Nov 01, 2005
No! No! Listen, this is the best one." You should be locked up for looking this good". More like you should be locked up for sounding so stupid... grin Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so so lame grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by dambuski(m): 4:35pm On Nov 01, 2005
grin grin cheesy
How many chances have u given these 9ja guys? Basically we operate on different frequencies(guys abd gals). The gals watch alld movies, read all d novels and they have this fantastic idea about love, dnt get me wrong nuttin bad, but u get understand say omo guys no like read novel maybe xcept it's about being rich or has some naked chiks, so at the end of d day we all clash cos we fail 2 understand each other and wen the guyz try 2 meet up, the become as lame as some of the guyza u meet, but u need understand these guyz r deviatn from their norm 2 plz ya, either they r not tryn hard enuf or u fail 2 encourage dem well. Na so d life b lovely ladies. We cnt walk this walk alone we need 2 move 2gether, so it's up 2 each person 2 try 2 strive ahead.

But i sabi plenty guys coolwey dey drop dope romantic poems. If u need sha i fit hook u up.

.......................1luv
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by decency(f): 4:05pm On Nov 05, 2005
CHIGSZY U MEAN ,POEMS LIKE ,"u are the only cockroach in my cupboard <the sunshine and rainfall of my heart beat<the only hole in my pole ,the abracabra of my bank account,the list goes on and on they even go to the extent of saying i fit die for u ,but when the titanic stuff arises ,dem go jump four storey run ,chigszy no mind them ,action speaks louder than words .no be today.just forget meat head like that .face ur front jareee.

they are all daudas at work .just jump and pass ,no fallin insideooo.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by tunku(m): 1:29am On Nov 06, 2005
I would sweep you off your feet with the poetry of John Donne, but then I have to break down the poetry so you can understand it. After the hour of reciting the poem, breaking it down, looking in the dictionary to see what valediction means. I promise you, that you will be swept off your feet.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by prettyH(f): 8:11pm On Nov 14, 2005
Who started this forum shocked? Don't u know to be romantic needs money? No guy wants to go that lenght especially d cheap ones. BUT POETRY. Nope ain't a poetry person so any guy that tries being romantic with poetry of all things in the world will certainly get d worst from me. angry
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by Makeda(f): 12:02am On Nov 27, 2005
My boyfriend says poetry to me and I love it. He even sends it to me in text messages and emails everyday. I think it is a cute gesture. I don look so much at what he is doing to be romantic but I look more at the gesture behind it. I think it is great and I even write poetry to him and recite it to him. I say just give the men a chance even if it does sound cheesy, because think about it if you reject this small gesture then he may not make any more romantic gestures down the road for fear of rejection, and then you will be complaining that he does not even try to woo you anymore even with the poetry you are rejecting. Believe me flowers and candy are nice but I have been there and done that, and most of the times those are just material things with no meaning. Any man can go out and buy something for you to passify you and shut you up, but sometimes the meaning behind it is nothing. I have dated men who buy material things and then do not spend any time with you becasue they are having to work over time to put money back into their accounts and then have extra to continue to buy you more things you want. I personally would rather have the time, attention and the sappy poetry, it speaks more to me.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by Scorpio(f): 12:37am On Nov 27, 2005
this thread is just hilarious, l.m.a.o cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by ocho(f): 11:00pm On Nov 30, 2005
This is the exact same point i was trying to make on a different thread! Some and indeeed most Nigerian guys are just blank when it comes to being romantic....... and "i wasn't breathing till i met you" ? shocked what's that? that is soooooooooooo lame and pathetic and in a way, really really funny grin grin. i'd laugh my head off if a guy told me that. Not that i'd be laughing cos i find it funny, i'd be laughing cos it sounds stupid, no offence guys! But seriously, some of you need to learn!
Oh my!This thread is just so funny grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by lauryn(f): 11:11pm On Nov 30, 2005
here in canada, i think the men r all the same, because they all use the same line, like "Girl, u r d most beautiful nigerian girl i ever met damn,' and i'm standint lookin at them like, what the heck. rolleyes. I'm not sure if they all have a special meeting somewhere to decide their new lines or somethin,

i know i am beautiful, but as soon as they say it, i'm like damn am i that ugly

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by hotangel2(f): 11:15pm On Nov 30, 2005
hehehe..

"baby, u are very beautiful, i havent come accross any nigerian girl in america that's has beautiful as u are".. Lets say u fall for that one.. and u give them your phone number or better yet email address!

Message from nigerian man/guy.

Baby, i formed this poem myself just to show u how special u are.

"U r my african queen,
the girl of my dreams, u remind me of one thing and that's the african beauty" [like i don't know it's 2face song uh?]
baby girl, if i could re-arrange the alphabeth, i'd put U and I together".

Will sumbody fxcking kill me already??

Friggin naija men.. cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by Scorpio(f): 11:41pm On Nov 30, 2005
cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by ocho(f): 11:41pm On Nov 30, 2005
oh my! that's funny! They should leave 2-face's words and try being original!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by chillin(f): 10:10pm On Dec 03, 2005
watttttt did i hear u say "Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged"?? hahahahahah lol lol lol lol lol ohh myyy!! datz funny!!! i wld sayy not all nigerian guyz r romanticall challenged ...i'd say sum of dez guyz stand OUT!! if u know wat i mean wink as 4 thozeee romanticallly challenged onez what can we do uhmm lemme see.... ohhh yeahhh smack them n' they'll surely b romantically activce lol lol
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by ocho(f): 7:23pm On Dec 05, 2005
that could work chilling! cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by raregroove(m): 8:32pm On Dec 05, 2005
Interesting thread!

Yes, the majority of Nigerian men can be considered as non-romantics. I'll mention a couple of factors that attribute to this observation.

Abject poverty is a significant factor, Nigerian men have picked up on the fact, that Nigerian women do not fall for the "I who have nothing (but love to give)" type of men, unfortunately romance is deemed as having a direct relationship with material wealth. The men have the "if you want heavy sussy, you must to pay for am" mentality. Sad but true.

It has not been in our tradition to express unrequited love with poems written by the likes of Blake or Keats, neither with the ambience of a piano recital nor with a flower, dowry used to be commonplace...

Unfortunately, there are very few women like yourself, that get tickled by such amorous advances, as mentoned above, if more women begin express their dissatisfaction with the romantic gestures of their men, maybe the men will start to take note...
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by chillin(f): 8:50pm On Dec 05, 2005
heyy ocho! tell me sum!! dat'll surely work!!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by IAH(f): 9:01pm On Dec 05, 2005
Let's just say you girls have not met the romantic ones, that's why you are saying all this. rolleyes
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by ocho(f): 11:51pm On Dec 05, 2005
raregroove:

Unfortunately, there are very few women like yourself, that get tickled by such amorous advances, as mentoned above, if more women begin express their dissatisfaction with the romantic gestures of their men, maybe the men will start to take note...

maybe, just maybe!
but well said bro!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by chrisd(m): 1:40pm On Dec 29, 2005
Try Italains, you'll have no problems. And it's not only in the talk.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by funloving(m): 2:19am On Jan 02, 2006
Deadly attack on Nigerian men !!!
This is real "operation kill all unromantic Nigerian men".

We seem to be empahasising only poetry as a means of expressing  romantic feelings. It ought not to be so.
Not everybody is poetic.

There are different ways to express romantic feeling,such as going to the beach,picnic,dancing, cooking together,etc

I think most Nigerian men and  women are unromantic and the reason is not really abject poverty but lack of exposure and this "I am an African man" mentality.

Back in Nigeria I work with a multinational company that pays good salary and yet last year when the company organised a "Couples Night" for married staff members some of my married male colleagues where in the office,claiming to be working hard,while the event was going on at the staff club.I was disappointed.

The way out is for us to allow ourselves to be more exposed to a more romantic way of life and this comes through reading,watching,studying and practicing romantic maneouvres.Not a bad idea to learn from our western counterparts

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by Rolly: 2:22am On Jan 02, 2006
u know, i think that not all of them are like that and i think we should give them a break cheesy

some of them are actually romantic cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by Makeda(f): 3:37am On Jan 02, 2006
I agree with you Rolly. Me and my girl friends here in America who are married to or engaged to Nigerian men find them extremely romantic on a daily basis, but I guess that is becasue we are not looking at romance from the material prospective. It is not about the material things but more about the care and concern they show us. It is more about the protection they provide for us. You see we have to learn to look for romance in the simple everyday things these men do. Romance is making dinner so that when you get home from work you can just eat and relax and not have to stand at the stove for an additional hour. Romance is Helping you with the house chores and the laundry. Romance is making sure that when he goes to the market he remembers to pick up the snacks you like to munch on and making sure the beverages you love are always on hand. Romance is rubbing your feet after a hard day. Romance is cuddling with you and whispering sweet words in your ear(even if they are cheesy). Romance is going 30 to 45 minutes out of his way just to pick up from work because he knows you do not have a car just to keep you from having to ride the bus or call a cab. Romance is callling you everyday just to say he loves you and to see how your day went. Romance is uploading your picture onto his computer desktop just so he can look at you all day at work. Romance is kissing you good morning and telling you how beautiful you are. You see these things are very basic and cheap really but they involve time and care. Ant man can buy things when he has the resources, but that does not mean he loves you, it just means he opened his wallet, big deal! tongue But spending time with you or taking time to remember and consider you now that is real romance. When it comes to romance I would say Nigerian men are wonderful!! grin Yes Nigerian men really do the things I mentioned. Ladies you just need to open your minds and your eyes.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by ocho(f): 8:13am On Jan 02, 2006
ooh! how sweet! cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by Rolly: 9:14am On Jan 02, 2006
@ makeda,

Awwwwww! that is sooo sweet! kiss kiss kiss
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by funloving(m): 10:03pm On Jan 03, 2006
@ makeda
You see we have to learn to look for romance in the simple everyday things these men do. Romance is making dinner so that when you get home from work you can just eat and relax and not have to stand at the stove for an additional hour. Romance is Helping you with the house chores and the laundry. Romance is making sure that when he goes to the market he remembers to pick up the snacks you like to munch on and making sure the beverages you love are always on hand. Romance is rubbing your feet after a hard day. Romance is cuddling with you and whispering sweet words in your ear(even if they are cheesy). Romance is going 30 to 45 minutes out of his way just to pick up from work because he knows you do not have a car just to keep you from having to ride the bus or call a cab.

@ocho
ooh! how sweet! 

@Rolly
Awwwwww! that is sooo sweet! 

See how the women have equated romance with house boyism.
wait ooo.... is the man a house husband ? Considering all the "wonderful" things Makeda expects him to do to prove he his romantic.
In fact, if that is the definition of being romantic,I give up.I don't want to be romantic any more  grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by ocho(f): 11:51pm On Jan 03, 2006
what is the "houseboyism" there now MR fun loving? rolleyes
you don't want to be romanitc any more? ok o! that just proves our point.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Romantically Challenged? by dambuski(m): 2:59pm On Jan 16, 2006
@ funlovin

Guy it's all just wat a caring passionate guy does 2 his girl & not house boyism as u feel. Alot of guys do much more and worse and there also guys that don't know when 2 say yes or no. Making a woman feel loved and secure and doin' all those stuff makeda talked about it goes so far in a woman's heart & mind. There so many things you can do that tells a woman you respect & luv her without you actually sayn the words.

Think about it funlovin, it's time 2 keep stereotyped ideas behind

.....................ciao

(1) (2) (Reply)

In Pursuit Of Happiness--will You Take Her Back? / Ever Dated An Abookii Or Mallam Before? / South African Marrying A Nigerian. Can It Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.