Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,793 members, 7,824,313 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe (1666 Views)

Do This With Your Tithe Instead Of Giving It To Private Jet Owners (see Photos) / Earliest Method Of Birth Control Spotted In The Bible (Cum on ground) / Is Paying Tithe From MMM And Nairabet Money Biblically Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by corperscorner: 12:20pm On Jun 21, 2015
Happy Sunday!!! beautiful nairalanders...

Personally, I have nothing against paying 10% of my earnings as tithe cos I believe its a way of securing one's finances and appreciating God for providing us a means by which we can earn a living.

But it strikes me as some pastors own helicopters, private jets, rolls Royce and so many luxury things while the congregations live on less than 5 dollars a day.

I would not want this to deter me from fulfilling what I see as an obligation to my creator, which brings about the question:

Would it be appropriate to use the same 10% I would have paid to the church as tithe, to directly help the less privileged at the end of every month?

Please help with whatever you would perceive as an honest opinion.
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by menesheh(m): 12:40pm On Jun 21, 2015
corperscorner:
Happy Sunday!!! beautiful nairalanders...

Personally, I have nothing against paying 10% of my earnings as tithe cos I believe its a way of securing one's finances and appreciating God for providing us a means by which we can earn a living.

But it strikes me as some pastors own helicopters, private jets, rolls Royce and so many luxury things while the congregations live on less than 5 dollars a day.

I would not want this to deter me from fulfilling what I see as an obligation to my creator, which brings about the question:

Would it be appropriate to use the same 10% I would have paid to the church as tithe, to directly help the less privileged at the end of every month?

Please help with whatever you would perceive as an honest opinion.

On point. BOLDED

Don't pay your tithe to someone that isn't in need that call himself a pastor but to the needy and low key. The pastor isn't doing anything special afterall, the Bible is not a complicated sort of book.
One can easily read the bible and understanding it without the help of anybody. It is not like mathematics, philosophy, chemistry textbooks one need a teacher to understand. If you are reading the Bible, any word one don't understand, one can easily check dictionary and continue reading and understanding whatever stuff.

Enough of these tricks.
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by saaedlee: 12:41pm On Jun 21, 2015
Honestly I do concur with your decision, I once pondered on the issue myself for years, before my decision! Thereafter, I prefer giving directly to the church only the following:
1. Offering
2. Church building seed
But my tithe goes to the poor widow and her kids down my street, whose policeman-husband/father was killed by armed robbers in 2010 , do you know the joy that she feels whenever I hand her foodstuffs, cash and clothing?
Ever since, I've never paid my tithe in Church again! And I believe God understands perfectly why I am do so! Hence no human being should judge my decision!

2 Likes

Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by corperscorner: 1:49pm On Jun 21, 2015
Well....though I don't feel the whole idea of tithing is a trick.

It's just that times have changed and a whole lot has evolved ever since the existence of eye-watering luxury-stuffs. So it's understandable if those we look up to in our churches succumb to the flesh and misappropriate the hard earned money of several thousands of people.

While it doesn't happen in all churches though, I just feel its going to be safer and have more impact by touching someone's life directly with my next tithe, and I really hope God will understand the rationale behind my decision.

A lot of millionaires driving exotic cars like G-wagon, E-class and co, often times do not see any reason to lend a helping hand to the less privileged man roaming the streets all because they feel relaxed that they have paid their tithe. But how exactly do churches channel these tithes to reach the streets.

Sometime last year while I was still earning peanuts, there was this particular day I got so broke and without asking, my boss gave me N1000, which was quite unlike him. Though little compared to what I earned back then, but for the fact that I was in dire need and couldn't cry out to anybody, this money touched my heart deeply cos I had no tfare to go home that day. I mean it was that bad. I look back at that day and it makes me realise there are lots of people out there who doesn't need up to N1000 to pull a smiling face. The worst feeling comes when I can't do nothing to help, which is the basis behind my point of view regarding re-routing tithes.
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by Orunto: 3:50pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fathers save a tenth of your earnings for the GOOD of your house and for its development. Wives and other working adults in the house may pay 10% of their earnings to their father for the development of their house. Their father's house is the household of God around them.
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by openmine(m): 5:29pm On Jun 21, 2015
smh
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by corperscorner: 5:46pm On Jun 21, 2015
openmine:
smh

Any issue?
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by openmine(m): 6:00pm On Jun 21, 2015
corperscorner:

Any issue?
plenty... grin grin
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by corperscorner: 7:21pm On Jun 21, 2015
openmine:

plenty... grin grin

Let's hear it....
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by openmine(m): 2:16am On Jun 22, 2015
corperscorner:

Let's hear it....
am just going to ask u sum questions and i wud like u 2 respond to them individually..
1.specifically point a scripture where the definition of tithe is a "tenth of your income"?
2.have you studied the scripture deutronomy 14:22 to the end...what are ur deductions from that scripture?
3.Please are you under grace or under the law?
4.What can you deduce from 2 corinthians 8 and 2 corinthians 9:7 ?

Please dont think these questions are not meant to criticize ur beliefs but to make us reason together and better...
while i await ur answers,i wud like 2 admire the fact that you want to give ur money to the less privileged...hopefully,u cud give without needing a law to instruct you...cos giving is a way of life of a growing christian!
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by corperscorner: 9:11am On Jun 23, 2015
openmine:

am just going to ask u sum questions and i wud like u 2 respond to them individually..
1.specifically point a scripture where the definition of tithe is a "tenth of your income"?
2.have you studied the scripture deutronomy 14:22 to the end...what are ur deductions from that scripture?
3.Please are you under grace or under the law?
4.What can you deduce from 2 corinthians 8 and 2 corinthians 9:7 ?
Please dont think these questions are not meant to criticize ur beliefs but to make us reason together and better...
while i await ur answers,i wud like 2 admire the fact that you want to give ur money to the less privileged...hopefully,u cud give without needing a law to instruct you...cos giving is a way of life of a growing christian!

deutronomy 14:22 kinda sheds more light on the whole issue.

What I was able to deduce is the fact that tithing is all about giving, so it would be justified to give to the less privileged as opposed mandating oneself that it must be dropped with the church.

Both seems cool...........so I guess its up to us to decide which suits ourselves better right?

Or did I get you wrong?
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by openmine(m): 2:40am On Jun 24, 2015
corperscorner:

deutronomy 14:22 kinda sheds more light on the whole issue.

What I was able to deduce is the fact that tithing is all about giving, so it would be justified to give to the less privileged as opposed mandating oneself that it must be dropped with the church.

Both seems cool...........so I guess its up to us to decide which suits ourselves better right?

Or did I get you wrong?
u didnt answer question 3....there lies ur answer and question 4 actually shows u how 2 give in d new dispensation...
if I may correct an impression...tithe is not giving but a required payment... its totally different from giving...giving is free will or beta still a benevolent act which is backed by 2 Corinthians 9:7....tithing is an old covenant belief but free will giving is a new covenant belief..dat y I asked u question 3....hope u grab?
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by corperscorner: 9:27am On Jun 27, 2015
openmine:

u didnt answer question 3....there lies ur answer and question 4 actually shows u how 2 give in d new dispensation...
if I may correct an impression...tithe is not giving but a required payment... its totally different from giving...giving is free will or beta still a benevolent act which is backed by 2 Corinthians 9:7....tithing is an old covenant belief but free will giving is a new covenant belief..dat y I asked u question 3....hope u grab?

alright....tnx for the clarification. Really appreciate man.

but just curious!!....do you own a church? lol
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by openmine(m): 9:41am On Jun 27, 2015
corperscorner:

alright....tnx for the clarification. Really appreciate man.

but just curious!!....do you own a church? lol
grin grin No sir....!
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by corperscorner: 10:29am On Jun 27, 2015
openmine:

grin grin No sir....!

Forgive me....though I reason and totally agree with you on the explanations. But at some point, you sounded like a church marketer who is hell-bent on making a brother drop his next jumbo tithe into the church coffers cos you live on the commission.

Just a joke tho.....thanks man. I guess all I needed was a new perspective to things.
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by openmine(m): 11:28am On Jun 27, 2015
corperscorner:

Forgive me....though I reason and totally agree with you on the explanations. But at some point, you sounded like a church marketer who is hell-bent on making a brother drop his next jumbo tithe into the church coffers cos you live on the commission.

Just a joke tho.....thanks man. I guess all I needed was a new perspective to things.
grin grin abeg ohh no implicate me ohh...well if i were a church marketer,don't u tink i wud have been a firm supporter of tithes?
i simply believe every one sud GIVE as he has decided in his heart NOT under compulsion or necessity or to a particular person....in fairness 2 ur post,do u know wat pastors say dese days....they say you are blessed wen u give to a pastor but receive none when you give to others...thats not only erroneous but a terrible lie and an insult to the finished work on the cross.... grin grin
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by corperscorner: 6:43pm On Jun 29, 2015
openmine:

grin grin abeg ohh no implicate me ohh...well if i were a church marketer,don't u tink i wud have been a firm supporter of tithes?
i simply believe every one sud GIVE as he has decided in his heart NOT under compulsion or necessity or to a particular person....in fairness 2 ur post,do u know wat pastors say dese days....they say you are blessed wen u give to a pastor but receive none when you give to others...thats not only erroneous but a terrible lie and an insult to the finished work on the cross.... grin grin

They probably say that cos of the prayers they stand to shower you with after dropping.....lol
Re: Alternative Method Of Paying Your Tithe by openmine(m): 12:29pm On Jun 30, 2015
corperscorner:

They probably say that cos of the prayers they stand to shower you with after dropping.....lol
Hahahahahahahahaha

(1) (Reply)

“Winning Mysterious Battles” / World Anointing Night Vigil Odm / Why Martin Luther Removed Some Books From The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.