Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,654 members, 7,809,477 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:16 AM

OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress (6139 Views)

INEC Registers Democratic People’s Congress (DPC) As New Political Party / African People's Congress Unveils Logo / Where Can Odua People Congress Buy Guns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by aki(m): 9:10pm On Oct 19, 2005
Who knows about OPC? Please give me some information about this organization. thanks.
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by Jakumo(m): 7:43am On Oct 23, 2005
The OPC, or Oduduwa Peoples Congress, was created in the Yoruba south-western region of Nigeria due to what was perceived as the failure of the Nigerian Police to combat crime.  The OPC is essentially a vigilante force made up of armed and untrained civilians and undercover criminals who on rare occasion do in fact apprehend and lynch real criminals without any pretense of a trial, but are more recognized for their propensity for "arresting" and dismembering innocent people to fill standing orders for human body parts placed by fetish voodoo witch doctors. Those unwilling "organ donors" are generally  "harvested" at night for real and imagined violations of OPC-decreed curfews, and the uniformed police rarely if ever challenge such disappearances.

In recent months the OPC in Lagos have split into warring factions, like the Chicago mobsters of the roaring '20's, with the result that barely a week passes without a few more additions to the body count in Lagos. Just yesterday, 6 OPC fighters (or innocent bystanders) were killed in Lagos and 42 vehicles set ablaze.  The real police, for their part, have again promised to "leave no stone unturned" in pinpointing the "immediate and remote causes" of the free-for-all.

In the eastern parts of Nigeria, the vigilante mobs are known as the "Bakassi Boys", named after a disputed oil-rich peninsula in the Niger Delta.  Like the OPC in Yorubaland, the Bakassi boys operate a chain of torture chambers and dungeons in Iboland, and the occupants of those facilities are regularly slaughtered for body parts.  Both the OPC and Bakassi Boys are also available for hire by individuals who have private scores to settle with spilt blood and general mayhem.
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by layi(m): 1:34pm On Oct 24, 2005
A faction is led by Dr Frederick Faseun and the other led by Ganiyu Adams.
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by terry(m): 2:50pm On Oct 24, 2005
killers
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by uchetobi(f): 3:54pm On Oct 24, 2005
all i can say about them is that they take laws into their own hands. but in a lawless country like Nigeria...one has to maintain the law... They act as vigilantes and guard places. they are security in ma school and they've been up to the task...
But clashes like the iyana ipaja incident were innocent people loose their lives and properties.... shouldnt be condoned
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by fabian(f): 11:07am On Oct 25, 2005
If I say O, you say P another man say C, Omo na you sabi!
They are horrible! Seriously!
One day, I was driving along Sanusi Fafunnwa which we all in lagos know is one way and they were coming in buses, about 6 or 7 buses from the opposite side of the road, i.e they were driving on a 1 way road illegally. There were men walking in front of their buses who were also members of OPC, they were trying to clear the road for their members and they were chanting. They had banners with OPC on them all over the buses.
most of the men were in pants without shirts on and they were making cars on the left lane veer towards the right side of the road...........
A man who was in his car on the left side took offense and dstarted shouting, " why are you forcing us off our lanes when you are doing this, bla bla bla, anyway, he was speaking Yoruba and English so I couldn't get the jist of everything.
One of the OPC guys just started hitting the man on his face and was telling him to clear or else they would do whatever. I could really only got snatches of the whole shebang, but I know they were just trying to show their selves. I just drove off when I could veer right and went on my way!
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by Odeku(m): 9:32pm On Oct 25, 2005
This is good news for Nigeria, we are civilized nation and not in jungle any more

The two factional leaders of Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC), who were picked up by the police in Lagos and whisked to Abuja on the order of the Inspector General of Police, Sunday Ehindero, on Saturday following the murder of six persons and torching of 12 vehicles at Iyana-Ipaja last Friday will soon be charged to court.

Ehindero, who was on a visit to the scene of BellView plane crash, told newsmen that the two leaders of the outlawed organization, Frederick Fasehun and Gani Adams would soon be arraigned in court to answer to murder, arson and manslaughter charges.

According to thee IGP, offences relating to murder, arson and manslaughter are criminal in nature and so, the pledged that the police would not sit by and allow criminals to unleash mayhem on defenceless members of the public.

KUDOS TO THE COPS
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by queen2(f): 12:19am On Oct 26, 2005
Thats very good of them cheesy
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by omogenikky(f): 2:06am On Oct 26, 2005
You wouldn't join OPC if you were an " Omoluabi"
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by adesodgi(m): 10:15am On Oct 26, 2005
i know them as jobless tauts,they have no morals,well not all of them are bad,but i can say the bad ones have made the good ones unknown...they need to be banned if tits possible,they claim to be protecting while most of them terrorise,wot miya dont like bout them is that they're too fetish...
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by Oracle(m): 2:13am On Oct 27, 2005
aki:

Who knows about OPC? Please give me some information about this organization. thanks.
well u live in lagos ur supposed to know bout
them or at least seen them one day.
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by WesleyanA(f): 6:59am On Oct 27, 2005
I actually thought they were good people. aren't they like security guards.
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by Jakumo(m): 7:17am On Oct 27, 2005
WesleyAnn, in a word, NO, the OPC and Bakassi Boys only wish to be seen as security guards, but they do commit cold blooded murder and corpse mutilation of innocent Nigerians virtually on a daily basis.  The very existence of such paramilitary forces is indicative that an undeclared state of war prevails in many regions of the country.
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by WesleyanA(f): 7:18am On Oct 27, 2005
because when i used to live in lagos. we used to get attacked frequently and i overheard neighbors talking about getting some of those OPC people since the police are useless.
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by Jakumo(m): 7:28am On Oct 27, 2005
Any group of armed people who are not held accountable before the laws of the land will eventually degenerate into the hideous, blood-thirsty monster that the OPC has now become.  Rather than hire a bunch of ritual murderers to serve as policeman, judge, jury and executioner all rolled into one, a civilized country would focus on reforming its trained police force, and allowing the judiciary to handle suspects apprehended by that constabulary. 

So far, those reforms are not being expored with any real sense of purpose in Nigeria, as evidenced by the continued reliance on untrained mobs to do the rightful job of the police.
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by Renegade(m): 9:04am On Dec 21, 2005
The OPC is originally a worthy and complex organization that's originally meant to defend the Yoruba people and fight against Abacha's brutal regime when abacha was hunting down yoruba leaders. It was founded by the revolutionary Dr. Frederick Fasheun, but later on, a young hooligan named Ganiyu Adams formed his own corrupt and directionless faction. Gani's faction has been involved in armed robberies, murders, and all kinds of atrocities while Fasheun's faction still maintains its original objective and ideology. i need to state that Gani's faction also had a worthy cause initially. the faction can be likened to the nigerian army, who has no war to fight and therefore unleashes terror on the citizens it is supposed to protect. After the death of sani abacha, the OPC became idle and had no real reason of existence.
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by otokx(m): 5:50pm On Dec 27, 2005
where is seun? he may have some useful info for us on OPC.
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by rikkyjen(m): 6:28pm On Dec 27, 2005
all those ethnic militias should be disbanded and am happy their leaders are facing the music.whether OPC,MASSOB angry,NDPVF...whateva
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by Akolawole(m): 7:15pm On Dec 27, 2005
I am a Yoruba.
I will support OPC if it is constitutional but NOT otherwise.
I knew sometimes ago that serves as Vigilantee group but anything more than that is not acceptable.
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by rikkyjen(m): 7:30pm On Dec 27, 2005
am also a yoruba too..butserving as vigilante self is unconstituional..dont forget OPC"s justice is jungle-justice unlike the police who will interrogate you...but OPC without hearing xplanation once their dirty jazz signals to them...the person is a gunner..so kolawole...opc should be disbanded
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by otokx(m): 1:57pm On Dec 28, 2005
preach rikkyjen preach!!
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by Akolawole(m): 2:24pm On Dec 28, 2005
@ Rikkyjen

At their inception, Egbesu was doing marvellously well in Onitsa and Aba International market. Similarly OPC.
I hear of a particular Ilesha robber who is Anini-like, untouchable but who was dealt with by OPC.

Vigilantee groups did not start with OPC or Egbesu but it has been in existence for long
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by rikkyjen(m): 5:36pm On Dec 28, 2005
@akolawole... Truly when they started this ethnic militias threaded where angels could not thread but we all know that later ..the hydra-headed corruption which rears its ugly head in all nigerian setting has infiltrated into this so called vigilante groups.

kolawole, dont you know that all this ethnic vigilante groups are now used to intimadate ,harass and murder their perceived opponenets,,infact they are now political thugs hired by politicians to settle political scores ....so what are we talking about?

why is ganiyu adams ,fasehun still held in detention..ofcourse it was because of some kind of clashthey had with d transport people...well am so happy baba is making them cool their eels in detention .
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by Akolawole(m): 7:05pm On Dec 28, 2005
@ Rikkyjen

I agree with you o, BAN, BAN, and BAN.
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by rikkyjen(m): 9:18pm On Dec 28, 2005
[b]@akolawole...[/b]wat do u mean?
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by Akolawole(m): 2:22am On Dec 29, 2005
In respect to your post #19.

Here is the latest on OPC :

http://odili.net/news/source/2005/dec/28/409.html
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by rikkyjen(m): 5:07am On Dec 29, 2005
@akolawole.its so good they have recoiled into their shells ..how wont they? if u see fasheun and adams,they are now like rain-beaten chickens...they look very emanciated and scared....am waitin for MASSOB<NDPVF and the rest.5 GBOSAS to baba for taming this lawless people.
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by pendelite(f): 11:38pm On Jan 07, 2006
Current activities of the OPC and Bakassi is what you get when you have uncontrolled power. We must check excesses, that said,

A great many of us feel more secure from criminals and the sorts because the OPC guards us each night. OPC or Bakassi is the manifestation of the inability of the police and the government to protect its citizens; unfortunately such groups are bound to fail because the process for checking excess is lacking in these structures.

The way things should work is for the police to arrest someone committing a crime and hand them over to a court that will prosecute according to the law. The problem is that the police are underpaid and disregarded and failing in this function and people become the victims of avoidable crime. Therefore the option becomes for the people to take up arms to defend themselves. No problem, but every effort must be made to avoid swift justice even as a deterrent as there is the possibility of punishing the innocent or using it as a tool for retribution.

A balance therefore is more appropriate; how do you organize civilians to protect themselves? The goal should be simple and expectations realistic, it must be subject to the law, no jungle justice. We must also take heart when we see the perceived guilty released against our belief.

The OPC and Bakassi have done a commendable job in many instances and are a necessary evil in the current state of our society where criminal gangs rule the day and we have a dysfunctional police force. Without the OPC, there are many towns that would have been abandonded today. They only hope for success is to ensure that they are not co-opted by politicians and others seeking retribution. That said, we must fix the police force and other legal structures including the courts. Corrupt policemen and judges beget a corrupt and insecure society.
Re: OPC - Oduduwa People's Congress by Seun(m): 10:14pm On Jan 19, 2006
The problem with the OPC is that many of those same restless youths who occasionally venture into armed robbery have infiltrated the organization. So for every evil that they eliminate, they create more evil.

(1) (Reply)

APC Does Not Want You To See This But Its Too Late!!! / Red Alert!!! Don't Be Fooled Nigerians!! / Breaking: Fayose Rushes To Aso Villa....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.