Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,034 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Working With The Big4, Your Experience. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Working With The Big4, Your Experience. (49414 Views)

Share Your Experience With Female Bosses. / Ever Resigned From A New Job A Month Or Less? Share Your Experience! / Working With A Falsified Statement Of Result For 2 Yrs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by damiloladuke: 10:24am On Jun 29, 2015
wats the big 4

READ MY SIGNATURE IF YOU WANT LAFF TIRE TODAY
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Kingsasian(m): 10:43am On Jun 29, 2015
If I may ask, what is the full names for kpmg abs pwc?
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by nanizle(m): 10:45am On Jun 29, 2015
Iamsynord:
What is a Big4 ??

1. Man UTD 2. Chelsea 3. Man City 4. Arsenal

grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by nanizle(m): 10:48am On Jun 29, 2015
Kingsasian:
If I may ask, what is the full names for kpmg abs pwc?

You may not ask....

But you may google "full name of KPMG" and "full name of PWC" tongue

5 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Phonon: 10:59am On Jun 29, 2015
Klynveld,Peat,Marwick and Goerdeler (KPMG). No one uses the full name.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by callonme(m): 11:09am On Jun 29, 2015
My personal experience,uhm!!!!!!!! Well,it's as simple as this...

I'm still working on my blog.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Bollove: 11:12am On Jun 29, 2015
Jarus:
I never worked in any of them, but I'm somehow close to them. I have friends in all of them and I also have professional relationship with them as I have had to work with all of them as consultants to different companies I have worked for.

They are all a good place to work for. One of the best places anyone can work. The pay not so juicy but you have solid training and you have brand that can earn you opportunities in the future.

Yes, they have crazy deadlines, sometimes work on weekends. On a lighter note, they also brush you up and refine you from your ayam English to a (locally acquired) fonee speaking fellow that speaks from the nose. grin

ICAN/ACCA is not compulsory if you don't plan to go into auditing and tax. Advisory people hardly need all these.
Jarus, does B.sc 2'2 , M.sc and ICAN and 30years of age have a chance with the Big4 or other standard corporate Institution ?? Planning to get enrolled in JarusHub pretty soon.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by jameslucy: 11:12am On Jun 29, 2015
dubaiprince:
please those working with any of the big 4 should share their experience so we can learn.
Pls what are the Big4?
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Jarus(m): 11:33am On Jun 29, 2015
Bollove:
Jarus, does B.sc 2'2 , M.sc and ICAN and 30years of age have a chance with the Big4 or other standard corporate Institution ?? Planning to get enrolled in JarusHub pretty soon.

Big 4
As experienced hire, possible.

As entry level, no.

Other standard corporate institutions

As entry level, possible in some.

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Jarus(m): 11:35am On Jun 29, 2015
masonkz:

LOL. Some clients can be something else sha. Making your task even more difficult by providing schedules that don't tie to TB, etc.

While there are clients where some of the staff previously worked in Big 4s. Those ones will try to make your work even more challenging. grin grin
cheesy grin
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Ojisik(m): 11:37am On Jun 29, 2015
Jarus:

ICAN/ACCA is not compulsory if you don't plan to go into auditing and tax. Advisory people hardly need all these.

Good Day Sir, it's great to meet you on this platform.

1. Please what professional course can you recommend for an Economics graduate that is not interested in auditing and tax.

2. In your opinion, are online certificates (e.g.: from Coursera) attractive to prospective employers.

Thank you cheesy
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Bollove: 11:39am On Jun 29, 2015
Jarus:

Big 4 As experienced hire, possible.
As entry level, no.
Other standard corporate institutions
As entry level, possible in some.
Thanks sir!
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by dollyptosh(m): 11:40am On Jun 29, 2015
pomporiking:

Epl,bundesliga,Serie a and La liga
Lol. look at you!
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Depot(m): 11:40am On Jun 29, 2015
AgapeCharis:
Everyone can't be an entrepreneur.

Its always good to aim high.
Seun, Bill Gate, Mark Zukerberg as case study
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by kachikapor(m): 11:47am On Jun 29, 2015
I worked in one of the Big4 for 8.5 years, straight after NYSC, working in all the units except for Tax.

For the pros: The experience is second to none. You meet and work with some of the brightest minds you can find, which obviously helps in making you stay sharp, that's in addition to the expectation that you can only spend a maximum of 18 months on a level, or you are asked to leave.

The training, both local and international were top-notch. your network of clients and colleagues are also things that will definitely help you in the future. The exchange programmes are also something that boosts you

Cons: The hours are long, very long, and usually includes your weekends (that is in addition to lectures for your professional certification). Clients come with crazy deadlines, which the partners agree to, and cascade to you, the associate. Get ready for 70 hour weeks, and constant movements (from a client in Lagos, to one in Ashaka, or Uyo...etc). Only God knows how many chics I broke up with because of my constant absence.

The pay really isn't bad, although it is generally accepted that if you are not qualified, you are basically cheap labour. To end this, apart from Consulting, where all you need is an MBA (although you still have qualified accountants in consulting), every other unit requires you to be a qualified accountant.

Needless to say, after 8.5 rigorous, yet fun-filled years, I swallowed the bait of a multinational and left the Firm. Still very proud to say I started my career in a Big4 Firm though.

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 11:50am On Jun 29, 2015
kachikapor:
I worked in one of the Big4 for 8.5 years, straight after NYSC, working in all the units except for Tax.

For the pros: The experience is second to none. You meet and work with some of the brightest minds you can find, which obviously helps in making you stay sharp, that's in addition to the expectation that you can only spend a maximum of 18 months on a level, or you are asked to leave.

The training, both local and international were top-notch. your network of clients and colleagues are also things that will definitely help you in the future. The exchange programmes are also something that boosts you

Cons: The hours are long, very long, and usually includes your weekends (that is in addition to lectures for your professional certification). Clients come with crazy deadlines, which the partners agree to, and cascade to you, the associate. Get ready for 70 hour weeks, and constant movements (from a client in Lagos, to one in Ashaka, or Uyo...etc). Only God knows how many chics I broke up with because of my constant absence.

The pay really isn't bad, although it is generally accepted that if you are not qualified, you are basically cheap labour. To end this, apart from Consulting, where all you need is an MBA (although you still have qualified accountants in consulting), every other unit requires you to be a qualified accountant.

Needless to say, after 8.5 rigorous, yet fun-filled years, I swallowed the bait of a multinational and left the Firm. Still very proud to say I started my career in a Big4 Firm though.

True

8.5 years... meaning you must have been a manager before leaving.

2 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Godskidmidas(m): 11:53am On Jun 29, 2015
Bollove:
Not impossible but very difficult. M.sc, ICAN are more like extra enticements. The major requirements are for one to have Bsc 2'1 and for one not to be above age 26

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Jarus(m): 11:54am On Jun 29, 2015
Ojisik:

Good Day Sir, it's great to meet you on this platform.

1. Please what professional course can you recommend for an Economics graduate that is not interested in auditing and tax.

2. In your opinion, are online certificates (e.g.: from Coursera) attractive to prospective employers.

Thank you cheesy

1, Economics is not a professional course, like accounting. Law etc. It is an academic/research-based field. That is why a good number of economics grads go ahead to write professional exams of other fields.

If you don't want to write ICAN/ACCA that will make you an accountant or tax professional, other professional certifications an economics graduate can go for include CIS (stockbrokers), CFA (global financial analyst) etc. That is if you must go for professional certificates.

If not, get Msc Economics and try financial institutions, locally or globally; or get a good MBA and become an investment banker.

Read these old article I wrote on these:

CAREER OPTIONS FOR ECONOMICS GRADUATES
http://www.jarushub.com/career-options-for-economics-graduates/

CAREER CHOICES FOR ECONOMICS GRADUATE IN AN OIL & GAS COMPANY
http://www.jarushub.com/career-choices-for-economics-graduate-in-an-oil-gas-company/

2, I don't know much about online courses and I'm not sure Nigerian employers dwell much on them. However, the knowledge you gained there - hardly the certificate itself - can be useful to you.

2 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Jarus(m): 11:58am On Jun 29, 2015
Depot:

Its always good to aim high.
Seun, Bill Gate, Mark Zukerberg as case study

You these entrepreneurship advocates sometimes oversimply things.

Google recently poached Ruth Porat from Morgan Stanley as CFO. She's not the owner of Google, she's an employee of Google, but she will earn $70m (N14bn) as cash and non-cash benefit in 2 years.
http://ww2.cfo.com/people/2015/03/google-greets-new-cfo-ruth-porat-with-70m-pay-package/

Entrepreneurship is not the only way to aim high, you can aim high in paid job too.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Godskidmidas(m): 12:03pm On Jun 29, 2015
masonkz:

True

8.5 years... meaning you must have been a manager before leaving.
The guy left there as a staff associate 3
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 29, 2015
Godskidmidas:

The guy left there as a staff associate 3

LOL after 8.5 years?? That's absolutely not possible please! grin grin
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by kachikapor(m): 12:09pm On Jun 29, 2015
masonkz:

LOL after 8.5 years?? That's absolutely not possible please! grin grin

Haha, I obviously did not. I left as a Manager 1 (positions are ranked from 1 to 3).

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by aribs(m): 12:49pm On Jun 29, 2015
Not exactly sure how I could comment on this since I work for a Big4 but not in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Yeahreen(m): 12:51pm On Jun 29, 2015
When yuh learn to mind Yur business...e-di*t undecided
Maintech:

When will you start being useful on this forum?
Always here to read comments.

Haba!
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by blackfm: 1:03pm On Jun 29, 2015
Followin
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by blackfm: 1:04pm On Jun 29, 2015
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by blackfm: 1:04pm On Jun 29, 2015
What are the chances of a 24yr old 2.2 accounting graduate with 2yrs banking experience in Internal control and ACCA (in view) with regards to getting employment in any of the big 4s

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Maintech: 1:12pm On Jun 29, 2015
Yeahreen:
When yuh learn to mind Yur business...e-di*t undecided

Did you say something?
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Tylenol: 1:20pm On Jun 29, 2015
blackfm:
What are the chances of a 24yr old 2.2 accounting graduate with 2yrs banking experience in Internal control and ACCA (in view) with regards to getting employment in any of the big 4s

I worked in one of the aforementioned companies as well. Don't know if it's applicable to all, but the entry requirements are usually a 2.1 (non-negotiable), minimum of credit in Maths and English as well as 3 other subjects and the candidate being 26 or under at a stipulated time in the future.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Obiwiz(m): 1:54pm On Jun 29, 2015
For a first class holder, does d "26yrs or younger" requirement still hold for d big four?
Secondly, d responses so far seem to centre on accounting,economics and d likes. Pls is it dat diz big four don't employ people with tech-based degrees like computer sc,telecommunication science/engineering, mathematics etc?
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by sweetsswit: 2:10pm On Jun 29, 2015
Obiwiz:
For a first class holder, does d "26yrs or younger" requirement still hold for d big four?
Secondly, d responses so far seem to centre on accounting,economics and d likes. Pls is it dat diz big four don't employ people with tech-based degrees like computer sc,telecommunication science/engineering, mathematics etc?

They do...graduate trainee is any course as long as u made notin less than a 2:1
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by spicy007(f): 2:14pm On Jun 29, 2015
Mannylex:

KPMG , PWC, E$Y , Deloitte. They are the top 4 audit firms in the world.

Have no fear; Mannylex is here

Point of correction Mannylex, its actually EY not E&Y. I work there
Its all true about the crazy deadlines and the high expectations especially if you are employed in the Assurance service line and are already chartered.
But you will learn by force by fire and with all the pressure, you will learn how to be a true well grounded professional.
Granted, the pay is not as attractive as one might think, bu trust me, progression is guaranteed if you see a future there and if not, and when you are porting out, the name of your firm is always a fantastic leverage to getting a juicy pay with a juicier job title (e.g. Financial Controller, Finance Director, etc)
For all those just coming in, i wish you all the best...and get ready to work your butts off.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry. / How A Wall Gecko Shattered My Relationship & Got Me Sacked / Diamond Bank Salary Scale: How Much Does Diamond Bank Pay Staff?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.