Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

Working With The Big4, Your Experience. - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Working With The Big4, Your Experience. (49352 Views)

Share Your Experience With Female Bosses. / Ever Resigned From A New Job A Month Or Less? Share Your Experience! / Working With A Falsified Statement Of Result For 2 Yrs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jun 29, 2015
Perfect Answer!!!
Jarus:

You these entrepreneurship advocates sometimes oversimply things.

Google recently poached Ruth Porat from Morgan Stanley as CFO. She's not the owner of Google, she's an employee of Google, but she will earn $70m (N14bn) as cash and non-cash benefit in 2 years.
http://ww2.cfo.com/people/2015/03/google-greets-new-cfo-ruth-porat-with-70m-pay-package/

Entrepreneurship is not the way to aim high, you can aim high in paid job too.
to a noisy post grin
Depot:

Its always good to aim high.
Seun, Bill Gate, Mark Zukerberg as case study

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jun 29, 2015
Abeg put PwC first in order... grin grin
like MarvellousGod did cheesy
Mannylex:

KPMG , PWC, E$Y , Deloitte. They are the top 4 audit firms in the world.

Have no fear; Mannylex is here
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Ahmeen: 2:28pm On Jun 29, 2015
Which one is compulsory for PwC, ICAN/ACCA and wats the time frame to achieve it? And wat do u mean by u must not stay in one level above 18 months? I dnt really get that. Please, expantiate!
kachikapor:
I worked in one of the Big4 for 8.5 years, straight after NYSC, working in all the units except for Tax.

For the pros: The experience is second to none. You meet and work with some of the brightest minds you can find, which obviously helps in making you stay sharp, that's in addition to the expectation that you can only spend a maximum of 18 months on a level, or you are asked to leave.

The training, both local and international were top-notch. your network of clients and colleagues are also things that will definitely help you in the future. The exchange programmes are also something that boosts you

Cons: The hours are long, very long, and usually includes your weekends (that is in addition to lectures for your professional certification). Clients come with crazy deadlines, which the partners agree to, and cascade to you, the associate. Get ready for 70 hour weeks, and constant movements (from a client in Lagos, to one in Ashaka, or Uyo...etc). Only God knows how many chics I broke up with because of my constant absence.

The pay really isn't bad, although it is generally accepted that if you are not qualified, you are basically cheap labour. To end this, apart from Consulting, where all you need is an MBA (although you still have qualified accountants in consulting), every other unit requires you to be a qualified accountant.

Needless to say, after 8.5 rigorous, yet fun-filled years, I swallowed the bait of a multinational and left the Firm. Still very proud to say I started my career in a Big4 Firm though.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Ahmeen: 2:29pm On Jun 29, 2015
Kindly respond to the questions I asked kachikapor above. Thanks
masonkz:

True

8.5 years... meaning you must have been a manager before leaving.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by TheRealAdonye(m): 2:30pm On Jun 29, 2015
grin grin
kachikapor:

Only God knows how many chics I broke up with because of my constant absence.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Okinjay(m): 2:33pm On Jun 29, 2015
Well, it has had its "Up's and Down's". My best moments have come while in the firm. There are days though when the tears would threaten to just gush out, but as a big boi (which I keep deceiving myself that I am), I just hold them in. I have learnt a lot in a very short time, interacted with people that I could only dream about months back, shown respect which I at times feel I don't deserve, looked at like a "superman" (which some clients think every auditor should be). Overall, I am glad, favored and opportuned to work for the BEST COMPANY TO WORK FOR IN NIGERIA 2015 believing that from here, I can only go higher. Social life is nearly zero though (if not zero sef), but a phrase keeps on comforting me any time I think about it; "NO PAIN, NO GAIN". And before I forget, my colleagues are the best you could ask for; always willing to listen, help / proffer solutions when necessary. Already talking too much...........
#Okbye

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jun 29, 2015
ControlX:
Abeg put PwC first in order... grin grin
like MarvellousGod did cheesy

Top 30 Accounting firms in the World (in the Us actually)

http://www.vault.com/company-rankings/accounting/vault-accounting-50?pg=2

2016 Rank

2015 Rank

Change

Company

Score

1 1 — PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers) LLP 8.515 New York, NY
2 2 — Ernst & Young LLP (EY) 8.217 New York, NY
3 3 — Deloitte LLP 8.067 New York, NY
4 4 — KPMG LLP 7.921 New York, NY

5 5 — Grant Thornton LLP 7.396 Chicago, IL
6 6 — BDO USA LLP 7.241 Chicago, IL
7 7 — McGladrey LLP 7.219 Chicago, IL
8 8 — Plante Moran 7.032 Southfield, MI
9 11 ▲ Moss Adams LLP 6.829 Seattle, WA
10 10 — Crowe Horwath LLP 6.780 Chicago, IL
11 14 ▲ Dixon Hughes Goodman LLP 6.596 Charlotte, NC
12 9 ▼ Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP 6.570 Chicago, IL
13 15 ▲ Eide Bailly LLP 6.341 Fargo, ND
14 16 ▲ Armanino LLP 6.258 San Ramon, CA
15 17 ▲ WithumSmith+Brown, PC 6.253 Princeton, NJ
16 13 ▼ Friedman LLP 6.242 New York, NY
17 19 ▲ CohnReznick LLP 6.201 New York, NY
18 46 ▲ Elliott Davis Decosimo, LLC 5.970 Greenville, SC
19 21 ▲ Frank Rimerman + Co. LLP 5.896 Palo Alto, CA
20 18 ▼ Brown Smith Wallace, LLC 5.893 St. Louis, MO
21 23 ▲ Schenck SC 5.714 Appleton, WI
22 30 ▲ Marks Paneth LLP 5.629 New York, NY
23 31 ▲ Margolin, Winer & Evens LLP 5.502 Garden City, NY
24 29 ▲ Rehmann 5.406 Saginaw, MI
25 32 ▲ CliftonLarsonAllen LLP 1.788 Milwaukee, WI
26 33 ▲ BKD, LLP 1.654 Springfield, MO
27 34 ▲ EisnerAmper LLP 1.575 New York, NY
28 22 ▼ CBIZ & Mayer Hoffman McCann P.C. 1.510 Cleveland, OH
29 36 ▲ Cherry Bekaert LLP 1.404 Richmond, VA
30 38 ▲ UHY Advisors, Inc. 1.354 Chicago, IL

31 35 ▲ Marcum LLP 1.351 New York, NY
32 24 ▼ Wipfli LLP 1.308 Milwaukee, WI
33 40 ▲ WeiserMazars 1.239 New York, NY
34 41 ▲ RubinBrown 1.198 Saint Louis, MO
35 39 ▲ Cohen & Company 1.137 Cleveland, OH
36 42 ▲ Anchin, Block & Anchin LLP 1.090 New York, NY
37 44 ▲ Citrin Cooperman & Company, LLP 1.088 New York, NY
38 43 ▲ Novogradac & Company LLP 1.071 San Francisco, CA
39 20 ▼ Berdon LLP 1.030 New York, NY
40 43 ▲ The Siegfried Group 1.028 Wilmington, DE
41 48 ▲ Blue & Co., LLC 1.023 Indianapolis, IN
42 45 ▲ Blum Shapiro & Co, P.C. 0.992 West Hartford, CT
43 NR — O'Connor Davies, LLP 0.986 Harrison, NY
44 47 ▲ Burr Pilger Mayer, Inc. 0.979 San Francisco, CA
45 NR — Sikich, LLP 0.976 Aurora, IL
46 NR — Decosimo 0.956 Greenville, SC
46 NR — Doeren Mayhew 0.956 Troy, MI
46 NR — Lattimore Black Morgan & Cain, PC (LBMC) 0.956 Brentwood, TN
47 50 ▲ Schneider Downs & Co., Inc. 0.952 Pittsburgh, PA
48 NR — Katz, Sapper & Miller, LLP 0.948 Indianapolis, IN
49 50 ▲ Weaver LLP 0.947 Fort Worth, TX
50 49 ▼ Aronson LLC 0.943 Rockville, MD

2 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by toseman(m): 2:42pm On Jun 29, 2015
Big4 firms are all prestigious Companies to work for....

Funkystal,ednut, where una dey nah...
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by kachikapor(m): 3:11pm On Jun 29, 2015
Ahmeen:
Which one is compulsory for PwC, ICAN/ACCA and wats the time frame to achieve it? And wat do u mean by u must not stay in one level above 18 months? I dnt really get that. Please, expantiate!

What I mean is that as a policy (at least in the Firm where I worked), You must exhibit enough skills and qualities to get promoted to the next level (appraisals are done every six months, which feeds into promotions done annually). Based on this, if you're not promoted after one year, you have six months (one year in exceptional cases) to prove that you deserve that promotion. Basically, its called "up or out" policy. I must point out though that this applies mostly if you're already qualified and are at the Senior Associate level, as the non-qualified associates just have to do enough to show they have learnt well that year as well as passing the papers (ICAN or ACCA) they registered for in the calendar year.

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by fidet1(m): 3:27pm On Jun 29, 2015
Let me book this space first, brb to share my experience so far
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Ahmeen: 3:28pm On Jun 29, 2015
Thanks for that. Yet to answer the first question about ICAN/ACCA and the time frame.
kachikapor:

What I mean is that as a policy (at least in the Firm where I worked), You must exhibit enough skills and qualities to get promoted to the next level (appraisals are done every six months, which feeds into promotions done annually). Based on this, if you're not promoted after one year, you have six months (one year in exceptional cases) to prove that you deserve that promotion. Basically, its called "up or out" policy. I must point out though that this applies mostly if you're already qualified and are at the Senior Associate level, as the non-qualified associates just have to do enough to show they have learnt well that year as well as passing the papers (ICAN or ACCA) they registered for in the calendar year.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by agrovick(m): 4:07pm On Jun 29, 2015
MarvellousGod:
If he is less than 26, has a 2-1, then 5 credits in WAEC including English and Mathematics. . Then he can apply for their graduate trainee.. Kpmg recruitment runs throughout the yr, so he can apply. ..

Asides these, na experienced positions remain....
Are u saying first degree is enough to qualify one for their graduate Trainee programme?
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by kachikapor(m): 4:08pm On Jun 29, 2015
Ahmeen:
Thanks for that. Yet to answer the first question about ICAN/ACCA and the time frame.

Sorry about that. For the Firm you mentioned, you can write any one of the two certifications. I can only recollect KPMG being adamant on their employees writing only ICAN, although this stance may have changed. Secondly, I know that you are allowed to write once a year (officially oh!!). So depending on how 'hot' you are, and how many unofficial attempts you can get away with, I'd say between 2.5 - 4 yrs. I know also that for some of these firms, you have a maximum of five years (non-accounting graduate) and 3 years (accounting graduate) to complete your exams, failing to do this will lead to your dismissal. I was fortunate to complete mine in 3 years (non-accounting graduate).

2 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jun 29, 2015
agrovick:

Are u saying first degree is enough to qualify one for their graduate Trainee programme?
Yes sir...
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by agrovick(m): 4:16pm On Jun 29, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Yes sir...
Thank you, I hope you don't mind my getting in touch with you once in a while for guidance as you seem knowledgeable about these things

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jun 29, 2015
kachikapor:

Sorry about that. For the Firm you mentioned, you can write any one of the two certifications. I can only recollect KPMG being adamant on their employees writing only ICAN, although this stance may have changed. Secondly, I know that you are allowed to write once a year (officially oh!!). So depending on how 'hot' you are, and how many unofficial attempts you can get away with, I'd say between 2.5 - 4 yrs. I know also that for some of these firms, you have a maximum of five years (non-accounting graduate) and 3 years (accounting graduate) to complete your exams, failing to do this will lead to your dismissal. I was fortunate to complete mine in 3 years (non-accounting graduate).

wao l am curious
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jun 29, 2015
agrovick:

Thank you, I hope you don't mind my getting in touch with you once in a while for guidance as you seem knowledgeable about these things
No problem. .
But you can get enough information from threads created in their name in the jobs/vacancies section...

Example of such threads. ...

https://www.nairaland.com/1992268/pwc-nigeria-graduate-recruitment-2015

https://www.nairaland.com/2309848/ernst-young-graduate-trainee-recruitment

https://www.nairaland.com/2097634/kpmg-graduate-trainee-aptitude-test

https://www.nairaland.com/881537/akintola-williams-deloitte-test

There are several other threads....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jun 29, 2015
Obiwiz:
[b]For a first class holder, does d "26yrs or younger" requirement still hold for d big four?
[/b]Secondly, d responses so far seem to centre on accounting,economics and d likes. Pls is it dat diz big four don't employ people with tech-based degrees like computer sc,telecommunication science/engineering, mathematics etc?
Yes, the class of degree doesn't matter.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Ahmeen: 4:45pm On Jun 29, 2015
Thank U....
kachikapor:

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by agrovick(m): 4:50pm On Jun 29, 2015
MarvellousGod:
No problem. .
But you can get enough information from threads created in their name in the jobs/vacancies section...

Example of such threads. ...

https://www.nairaland.com/1992268/pwc-nigeria-graduate-recruitment-2015

https://www.nairaland.com/2309848/ernst-young-graduate-trainee-recruitment

https://www.nairaland.com/2097634/kpmg-graduate-trainee-aptitude-test

https://www.nairaland.com/881537/akintola-williams-deloitte-test

There are several other threads....
You are the best, thanks....

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by boneruns(m): 5:04pm On Jun 29, 2015
My issue with the Big-4, most especially PwC and KPMG is their requirement for 5 credits one sitting O'level, irrespective what the prospective employee graduated from the university.

It pained me that I didn't start my career with PwC after I got to the final stage interview in 2011, I was dropped because I had two sittings O'level.

Anyway it is gone now. I wouldn't mind joining the firm as an experienced prospective job seeker. I just love the firm, I've met some of them and I think it isn't a bad place to work.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 29, 2015
Ahmeen:
Kindly respond to the questions I asked kachikapor above. Thanks

Ahmeen:
Which one is compulsory for PwC, ICAN/ACCA and wats the time frame to achieve it?

None is more compulsory than the other. Both certifications are taken seriously, you just get to choose one. In PwC though, most people do ACCA from inception. KPMG recently started allowing ACCA for their employees, as previously they were only allowed to do ICAN only.

In PwC you're allowed to write a maximum of six papers a year once you're eligible to sit for the exam. So you can choose to write both diets in the year, just that you can't write more than six papers in the year. On the other hand, KPMG only allows you to write one diet in a year. So even if you have one paper to write in a diet, you won't be able to write the next diet. On the average people get chartered by 2-3 years.

I don't know much about EY and Deloitte so I can't speak about them.

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jun 29, 2015
agrovick:

You are the best, thanks....
you're welcome smiley
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Madamspeaker(f): 8:21pm On Jun 29, 2015
Wow, I really love dis. I am a final year student of accountancy, I will be graduating in less dan 2 months. I intend starting my ican during my nysc and I am sure of graduating with a minimum of a 2.1. So pls, what's d way forward for me to join d big4. I have always dreamed of starting my career with any of d big four. I am really glad to stumble upon dis thread.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by ednut1(m): 8:46pm On Jun 29, 2015
pee double u cee here i come o. am jst an prostitute job hunter lol. mining company to bank to big 4. hope to add CFE nd CiSA to my bsc nd aca while there.

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Ahmeen: 9:03pm On Jun 29, 2015
God Bless for this...thanks
masonkz:

None is more compulsory than the other. Both certifications are taken seriously, you just get to choose one. In PwC though, most people do ACCA from inception. KPMG recently started allowing ACCA for their employees, as previously they were only allowed to do ICAN only.

In PwC you're allowed to write a maximum of five papers a year once you're eligible to sit for the exam. So you can choose to write both diets in the year, just that you can't write more than five papers in the year. On the other hand, KPMG only allows you to write one diet in a year. So even if you have one paper to write in a diet, you won't be able to write the next diet. On the average people get chartered by 2-3 years.

I don't know much about EY and Deloitte so I can't speak about them.

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Gnen: 9:59pm On Jun 29, 2015
ednut1:
pee double u cee here i come o. am jst an prostitute job hunter lol. mining company to bank to big 4. hope to add CFE nd CiSA to my bsc nd aca while there.
That the spirit.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Jamean(f): 10:14pm On Jun 29, 2015
TheRealAdonye:
Parked

Come and buy my land and get CofO immediately. It's on page 0 wink
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by toseman(m): 10:42pm On Jun 29, 2015
ednut1:

Thats the Spirit,thats the hustle.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by joggler(m): 5:14am On Jun 30, 2015
Y
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by ednut1(m): 5:46am On Jun 30, 2015
Madamspeaker:
Wow, I really love dis. I am a final year student of accountancy, I will be graduating in less dan 2 months. I intend starting my ican during my nysc and I am sure of graduating with a minimum of a 2.1. So pls, what's d way forward for me to join d big4. I have always dreamed of starting my career with any of d big four. I am really glad to stumble upon dis thread.
use ur nysc to practise SHL and gmat( aptitude test). good idea bout d ican( gives u no edge during Big 4 recruitment tho) . they recruit so yearly visit d NL job section or other job websites when its time

2 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Madamspeaker(f): 7:00am On Jun 30, 2015
ednut1:
use ur nysc to practise SHL and gmat( aptitude test). good idea bout d ican( gives u no edge during Big 4 recruitment tho) . they recruit so yearly visit d NL job section or other job websites when its time

Tnx a lot, I really do appreciate

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Young Boy Who Works As A Vulcanizer In Ibadan / Python Falls Through Ceiling Into Bank During Staff Meeting In China / The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.