Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,473 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? (23064 Views)

"Women are made for men" -The Christian God / Why Does The Christian God Love To Massacre Millions Of Children? / Before The Creation Of Heaven, Where Was God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by great664(m): 12:14pm On Jun 28, 2015
FredTony11:

Welcome to the great brotherhood,have you been looking for an opportunity to be one of the brotherhood,this is the right time to join the illuminati brotherhood,it will make you famous,rich,excel in your business.it will established your business round the world and you will be recognized in your country,join the illuminati,if you are interested contact us at:thegreatilluminati666@outlook.com or call: +2348168007545
People like you are the reason that they are so many problem and chaos in the world, why use other people religion for your self benefit(interest)
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by chukzzy1(m): 12:14pm On Jun 28, 2015
PRYCE:
Childish? And you believe you've grown or out grown the writers in all respect?
fallacy
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by davien(m): 12:15pm On Jun 28, 2015
ConsciousMind:
I like to think of as like this:

God is a perfectionist. He makes things imperfect so he can improve on them. What's the point if everything was perfect anyway? God wouldn't have anything to do. Love wouldn't make sense because love is all about overcoming imperfections. So he made Adam and Eve, and they were perfect in our eyes. God doesn't make mistakes, he makes a version that can be improved on. Good could have chosen to make another tribe after Eden. And that's where Cain went.

Adam and Eve were black. By the time the New Testament was over God had used evolution to mutate other ethnicities. When Noah ark survived the flood, his children were all different. Slight ethnicity variations. That was the only way they could preserve human race
I used to have this line of thinking...until questions such as why actively improve designs rather than make the design a perfect one...because each imperfection creates more imperfections and this leads to more harm, death and suffering...imagine if our immune system could fight off HIV/AIDS..wouldn't that be nice? undecided

1 Like

Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by 9jatatafo(m): 12:16pm On Jun 28, 2015
I am not well lettered in religion but just try to live in peace and follow the 10 commandments, this will bring peace to humanity.
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by olathunde(m): 12:20pm On Jun 28, 2015
Dem send una. dis is the second thread on dis same topic. its gud to be curious but u knw what they say.
do u guys want to start your own religion?

we have free will to believe what we want to. The story does not have to compel you.

There are different stories to how man came to be. pick one and roll with it.

Kindly see your question as an expedition you can embark upon. u am sure all the stories have footprints you can follow to get your own truth.

1 Like

Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by Vodkka(m): 12:21pm On Jun 28, 2015
during d time.... u can marry to your siblings and that's all....dats how it is then
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by Unluvable(f): 12:22pm On Jun 28, 2015
Beliefs are based on faith not facts...it cannot be proof logically.

Knowing that if you tear your skin with a blade, bleeding will occur is an observable fact, on the other hand, believing that you won't bleed is faith.

You'll never understand faith bro, you can choose to abide to a particular faith if it makes your existence more meaningful and ignore the illogicalities that comes with it.

that being said, I highly doubt some Hebrew characters 6000 years ago has anything to do with my ancestral lineage

1 Like

Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by youngambi(m): 12:22pm On Jun 28, 2015
omenka:
Good morning.

I'm not a regular on this board- in fact this is my first time ever of visiting and I see you guys are doing quite a great job here. Kudos. smiley

For some of us not so ardent in the "ways of Christ", there are certain questions that have been tugging at our minds for years and I hope bringing it here, someone knowledgeable could help put things into clearer perspective.

Now, I've been having some difficulty believing the Christian narative of how man came to being. I don't believe a hindered percent in the Big Bang or Darwinism as well, but if you ask me, so far, both seem to offer even better explanation as to the question of life and how it has come to evolve.

According to our religion, the first men were Adam and Eve and every other man is a product of their procreation. My questions then are:

1. What race was Adam and Eve??

2. It is said that after Cain killed Abel, he saw banished from Eden and went to live in some distant place (make una no mind me, I no sabi bible well well..) where he married and bore lots of children- question is, where did those people come from? Were they his brothers and sisters??

3. How did we end up with the different races we have today- where did Whites, Blacks, Asians, indians, Arabs, Hispanics, and Persians with all their genotypical/physiological differences come from??

4. If we were to accept the variations in "3" as products of genetic mutation, could we then extend to argument to explain the origin of man as a product of genetic mutation/evolution?? cheesy

I wish the pastors and evangelical scientists in the house could shed some light on this.

Thanks.

bro, jesus said "blessed are those who hv nt yet seen yet bliv". in Christianity we walk by faith not by wat we c. by d evil goin around da world todae, den common sense shld tell u dat wen dias evil den dia is good..and anytin evil comes frm d devil. and wen dia is devil den dia shld b a GOd..just d wae sum so called scientist say dia is no GOD and evritin dia is, is due to sum biological or scientific wateva. dia r still tins de cnt explain abt d universe, which is mythical to dem...i m nt tryin yo convince anybodi dat christianity is d best religion, no!! wat am tryin to sae is sumtins would alwaes remain unexplained until d world ends
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by austin2all: 12:23pm On Jun 28, 2015
kchaste:
The Bible actually indicates that Adam and Eve did, in fact, have daughters.

This is the book of the generations of Adam. When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God. 2 Male and female he created them, and he blessed them and named them Man when they were created. 3 When Adam had lived 130 years, he fathered a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth. 4 The days of Adam after he fathered Seth were 800 years; and he had other sons and daughters. 5 Thus all the days that Adam lived were 930 years, and he died. Genesis 5:1-5

We also know that Seth was born after Cain had killed Abel:

And Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son and called his name Seth, for she said, "God has appointed for me another offspring instead of Abel, for Cain killed him." Genesis 4:25

So, when Adam was 130 years old after Cain killed Abel, Eve became pregnant and gave birth to Seth. So, did Adam and Eve have other children in between the time that Cain and Abel were born and Seth was born? We can't say absolutely, but we can't say absolutely not either. It certainly seems reasonable that other children would have been born during that time.

Genesis 5 does indicate that Adam and Eve had daughters as well (plural), though we are not told how many. The very minimum would be three sons and two daughters.

Apparently Jewish tradition holds that Adam and Eve actually had 33 sons and 23 daughters. This is not biblical, of course, but it aligns with the idea that Adam and Eve were probably extremely fruitful and multiplied greatly, as God had commanded them. The genetics were quite pure as well as the environment at that time. They lived a long time (Adam was 930 years old when he died according to Genesis 5), so they had a lot of time to have children.

And my question is: what's the normal age of menopause?

For me, the only thing I enjoy about the bible is the morals it teaches. Ceteris paribus!
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by Hero10001: 12:25pm On Jun 28, 2015
Na everyday we dey educate una type.
Put two foul in a garden for just one year then come back to tell us your observations.
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jun 28, 2015
Pick a Quran and get informed...
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by chukzzy1(m): 12:26pm On Jun 28, 2015
Minet16:

[b]
Question 1. We weren't told if Adam and eve were black or white, but if you trace their lineage to isreal, you discover that isreal is a mixture of cholcolate and fair and blonde people in complexion. so maybe one of the two were fair and dark,Just saying tho. even if the two were the same complexion, its possible for two fair parents to give birth to a black child, its happend several times.

Question2: Adam gave birth to many sons and daughters. cain married his sister, by the time cain killed Abel, they might have been hundreds of years then. scriptural backup
Genesis 5:3-4 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:
And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:.

Question 3: check my first answer.

Question 4: what origin of man?? mtchewww Genesis 1:26-27 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

#@MINET16 [/b]
so you are saying that man originated from Israel...a country of less than 20 million people without a definite geographical location..go and seat down joorh

The matter at hand calls for critical reasoning and not beer parlour talk
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by ayusco85(m): 12:27pm On Jun 28, 2015
ikes9:
Yhu people should Google Lilith...

Its said that Lilith was the first wife of Adam..buhh due to Lilith wanting to be on top. while they were banging...they had an argument...and Lilith left Adam...

there's more to the story shaaa. so just Google bout Lilith

Lilith is a character in supernatural seasonal movie. She is a demon working with Lucifer. Accordin to the movie
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by davien(m): 12:27pm On Jun 28, 2015
olathunde:
Dem send una. dis is the second thread on dis same topic. its gud to be curious but u knw what they say.
do u guys want to start your own religion?

we have free will to believe what we want to. The story does not have to compel you.

There are different stories to how man came to be. pick one and roll with it.

Kindly see your question as an expedition you can embark upon. u am sure all the stories have footprints you can follow to get your own truth.
Because you can be convinced of something does not make it true...and adopting certain views can influence your actions towards others...if you adopt a view that human lives are worthless or expendable because you believe in an afterlife made readily for you how would you treat others(hint; like how Christianity and Islam treats non-believers with violence and death threats)...if I were to openly talk of my atheism...what rectum would I get from you christians...death threats?...ridicule?...false diagnosis of mental illness?..

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by musicwriter(m): 12:27pm On Jun 28, 2015
omenka:
Good morning.

I'm not a regular on this board- in fact this is my first time ever of visiting and I see you guys are doing quite a great job here. Kudos. smiley

For some of us not so ardent in the "ways of Christ", there are certain questions that have been tugging at our minds for years and I hope bringing it here, someone knowledgeable could help put things into clearer perspective.

Now, I've been having some difficulty believing the Christian narative of how man came to being. I don't believe a hindered percent in the Big Bang or Darwinism as well, but if you ask me, so far, both seem to offer even better explanation as to the question of life and how it has come to evolve.

According to our religion, the first men were Adam and Eve and every other man is a product of their procreation. My questions then are:

1. What race was Adam and Eve??

2. It is said that after Cain killed Abel, he saw banished from Eden and went to live in some distant place (make una no mind me, I no sabi bible well well..) where he married and bore lots of children- question is, where did those people come from? Were they his brothers and sisters??

3. How did we end up with the different races we have today- where did Whites, Blacks, Asians, indians, Arabs, Hispanics, and Persians with all their genotypical/physiological differences come from??

4. If we were to accept the variations in "3" as products of genetic mutation, could we then extend to argument to explain the origin of man as a product of genetic mutation/evolution?? cheesy

I wish the pastors and evangelical scientists in the house could shed some light on this.

Thanks.

Answers to your questions below.

1. What race was Adam and Eve??.

Science proves that human life began in Africa. Specifically, somewhere around Kenya, Ethiopia and that axis. Adam and Eve were Africans like you. They looked like you!. We have come to believe they were whites because of brainwashing colonial education we inherited from Britain.

See.

Ancient Israelites and Hebrews were black people (For more information, watch the documentary on the bottom of the link).
http://www.africason.com/2015/04/ancient-israelites-hebrews-were-black.html

The True Israelites of The Bible Were Black People (For more information, watch the documentary on the bottom of the link).
http://www.africason.com/2015/04/what-ancient-israelites-looked-like.html

How Jesus Christ Became a Whiteman (For more information, watch the documentary on the bottom of the link).
http://www.africason.com/2015/04/how-Jesus-christ-became-whiteman.html

Jesus Christ Was a Black Man - According to the Bible (For more information, watch the documentary on the bottom of the link).
http://www.africason.com/2015/02/Jesus-is-black-man-according-to-bible.html

We believed everything white man told us, hook, line, and sinker and was brainwashed.

Elite Brainwashing, The Last Stage Of Mental Slavery
http://www.africason.com/2015/05/elite-brainwashing-last-stage-of-mental.html

2. It is said that after Cain killed Abel, he saw banished from Eden and went to
live in some distant place (make una no mind me, I no sabi bible well well..)
where he married and bore lots of children- question is, where did those people
come from? Were they his brothers and sisters??

I don't answer this type of question because whether or not it's a myth, it have nothing to add to how life began.

3. How did we end up with the different races we have today- where did Whites,
Blacks, Asians, indians, Arabs, Hispanics, and Persians with all their
genotypical/physiological differences come from??

Yes, genetic mutations.

4. If we were to accept the variations in "3" as products of genetic mutation,
could we then extend to argument to explain the origin of man as a product of
genetic mutation/evolution??.

The falsehood that have been spread is that genetic mutations create new things, but that's not true!. Genetic mutations may only bring stronger or weaker species, but no new creatures. A monkey will always be a money forever, no matter how the gene mutate. A human being will always be a human being forever, no matter how the gene mutate.

Mutations and natural selection only create weaker or stronger species, nothing more. Indeed, Charles Darwin never called his findings evolution, but he called it the origin of species. Evolution explains the origin of species!.

This idea of evolution came forth because new age scientists stretched Mr. Darwin's theory too far (same way some christian say Jesus is God, when he himself did't say so). If you were to wake up Mr. Darwin to ask his opinion, he will deny evolution as explanation for origin of life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by jomoh: 12:27pm On Jun 28, 2015
omenka:
Lol. The more I think about it, the more questions arise.

Patiently waiting for someone with a good explanation. Guess our pastors in the house are still in Church.

Three straight sundays now, no church for me. cry

Rilwayne001:

This is a good thread, I will also like to learn something from this.

Hahahahahahahaha grin grin my bros, beht why?

grin grin grin this one wey all of una leave politics section come Religion section dis morning. I dey sure say na one argument (proly the gay thing in US) go lead to one thing come lead you to this question.

I know how my people in that section thinks. Anyways, am also waiting to hear view and review of our brothers.

In the mean time you can put the same question in the Islam section let see if the sheikh there have convincing/fuller answers to the question.
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by timmy(m): 12:27pm On Jun 28, 2015
I think our problem will be resolved the moment we realize Adam and Eve weren't the first beings. They were just the ones God decided to give dominion too.

Here's my take, God created the earth and heavens in 6 days. Including humans (or whatever species lived). My intuition says they were called serpents, as we remembered, of all the animals, the serpent was the most cunny.
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by youngambi(m): 12:29pm On Jun 28, 2015
austin2all:

And my question is: what's the normal age of menopause?

For me, the only thing I enjoy about the bible is the morals it teaches. Ceteris paribus!
read genesis 6:3 den u will knw man had been cursed not to last longer dan stated there.
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by adenxt(m): 12:30pm On Jun 28, 2015
Dnt know how to answer dis cuz it beyond human understanding,holy spirit shd help.
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jun 28, 2015
ayusco85:

Lilith is a character in supernatural seasonal movie. She is a demon working with Lucifer. Accordin to the movie
lol, yhu obviously know nothing about lilith.
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by solamesin(m): 12:33pm On Jun 28, 2015
First Believe in God exist, the creator who created every things we see and the we can't see HE only know the purpose of creations. I believe nobody ever claim of creating the universe. He knew the compositions of Adam God from Holy Qur'an that "I created you I.e human beings I made from single soul I.e Adam I fashioned you with different languages and colour only to be to distinguish one from other ..."
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by Bome01(m): 12:33pm On Jun 28, 2015
ifeness:
SUMERIAN CREATION STORY
Yes. The Biblical story of Creation could be traced to the Chaldean story of creation however, Moses whom we assume as the author of first five books of the bible must have gotten the story from the Egyptians where he got his education.
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by tjay01(m): 12:38pm On Jun 28, 2015
Have you ever heard about the Grail Message?
Please read it. You will find the answers there.

1 Like

Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by AminuRano87(m): 12:41pm On Jun 28, 2015
all religions do not make sense at all, but the religion that is closest to sense is Islam. either be Atheist or Muslim
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by salykely(m): 12:41pm On Jun 28, 2015
This is the Islamic narration.

The Story of Adam (part 4 of 5): Life on Earth

Description: Adam, his children, the first murder and his death.
By Aisha Stacey (© 2008 IslamReligion.com)
Published on 07 Apr 2008 - Last modified on 13 Mar 2013

Adam and Eve left Paradise and began their life on earth. God had prepared them in many ways. He gave them the experience of struggling against the whisperings and schemes of Satan. He taught Adam the names of everything and instructed him in its properties and usefulness. Adam took up his position as caretaker of the earth and Prophet of God.

Adam, the first Prophet of God was responsible for teaching his wife and offspring how to worship God and seek His forgiveness. Adam established the laws of God and set about trying to support his family and learning to subdue and care for the earth. His task was to perpetuate, cultivate, construct and populate; he was to raise children who would live according to God’s instructions and care for and improve the earth.

Adam’s First Four Children

Adam and Eve’s first children, Cain and his sister, were twins,; Abel and his sister, another set of twins, soon followed. Adam and his family lived in peace and harmony. Cain ploughed the earth while Abel raised livestock. Time passed and the occasion came for the sons of Adam to marry. A group of the companions of Prophet Muhammad including Ibn Abbas and Ibn Masud related that inter-marriage of the male of one pregnancy with the female of another had been the practice among Adam’s children. Therefore we know that God’s plan to fill the earth included each of Adam’s sons marrying the twin sister of the other.

It seems that beauty has played a part in the attraction of men and women since the beginning. Cain was not pleased with the partner chosen for him. Cain began to envy his brother and refused to obey the command of his father and, in doing so, he disobeyed God. God created man with both good and bad tendencies, and the struggle to over come our baser instincts is part of His test for us.

God commanded that each son was to offer a sacrifice. His judgement would favour the son whose offer was the most acceptable. Cain offered his worst grain, but Abel offered his best livestock. God accepted Abel’s sacrifice, so Cain became enraged, threatening to kill his brother.

“And (O Muhammad) recite to them (the Jews) the story of the two sons of Adam (Abel and Cain) in truth; when each offered a sacrifice to God, it was accepted from the one but not from the other. The latter said to the former; ‘I will surely kill you.’” (Quran 5:27)

Abel advised his brother that God would accept good deeds from those that fear and serve Him, but reject the good deeds of those who are arrogant, selfish and disobedient towards God.

“The former said: ‘Verily God accepts only from those who are pious. If you do stretch your hand against me to kill me I shall never stretch my hand against you to kill you, for I fear God; the Lord of mankind, jinn, and all that exists.’” (Quran 5:27-28)

The First Murder

“So the self (base desires) of the other (latter one) encouraged him and made fair seeming to him the murder of his brother; he murdered him and became one of the losers.” (Quran 5:30)

Prophet Muhammad informed us that Cain became angry and hit his brother over the head with a piece of iron. It was also said in another narration that Cain hit Abel over the head while he was sleeping.

“God sent a crow who scratched the ground to show him to hide the dead body of his brother. He (the murderer) said: ‘Woe to me!

Am I not even able to be as this crow and to hide the dead body of my brother?’ Then he became one of those who regretted.” (Quran 5:31)

Adam was devastated; he had lost both his first and second born sons. One had been murdered; the other was won over by mankind’s greatest enemy – Satan. Patiently, Adam prayed for his son, and continued to care for the earth. He taught his many children and grandchildren about God. He told them of his own encounter with Satan and advised them to beware of Satan’s tricks and schemes. Years and years passed, and Adam grew old and his children spread out across the earth.

Adam’s Death

All of mankind are the children of Adam. In one narration, the Prophet Muhammad informed us that God showed Adam his descendants. Adam saw a beautiful light in Prophet David’s eyes and loved him, so he turned to God and said: “Oh God. Give him forty years from my life.” God granted Adam his request, and it was written down and sealed.

Adam’s life span was supposed to be 1000 years but after 960 years the Angel of death came to Adam. Adam was surprised and said “but I still have 40 years to live”. The angel of death reminded him of his gift of 40 years to his beloved descendant Prophet David, but Adam denied it. Many, many years later, the last Prophet Muhammad said: “Adam denied so the children of Adam deny, Adam forgot and his children forget; Adam made mistakes and his children make mistakes.” (At-Tirmidhi)

In Arabic the word for mankind is insan and it comes from the root word nisyan to forget. This is part of human nature, mankind forgets, and when we forget we deny and reject. Adam forgot (he was not lying), and God forgave him. Adam then submitted to the will of God and died. The Angels descended and washed the body of Prophet Adam an odd number of times; they dug the grave and buried the body of the father of mankind, Adam.

Adam’s successor

Before his death Adam reminded his children that God would never leave them alone or without guidance. He told them God would send other Prophets with unique names, traits and miracles, but they would all call to the same thing – the worship of the One True God. Adam appointed as his successor his son

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/1197/story-of-adam-part-4/

1 Like

Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by myk2mic: 12:41pm On Jun 28, 2015
I will try and give my own opinion on the matter by asking questions as well as by answering some
1-is there a difference in the creation of man that occurred in genesis chpter 1and the one that happened in chapter 2
My answer is yes, God created beings in chapter 1 and gave them the right to multiply, be fruitful,have dominion and to subdue the earth. But adam was formed to take care of the care of eden only, eve came about as an after thought when GOd saw that adam need companion bt instead of giving adam a woman,GOd formed
animals for them to be companions for adam bt when GOd saw that they were not suitable for adam,he then formed eve from adam.

Adam was formed by GOd to be, remain and take care of the garden,If he had not sinned,he would have remained in. The garden .

Adam was special becos when he was formed,God breathe into him his breathe that's y adam had a genealogy that connected him to God and through him the geneolgy of the men of GOd ,noah,abaraham etc.

Cain killed abel, GOd banished him bt he was afriad that anyone cld kill him, meaning there where other men like him around.

Adam and eve had cain and abel, after abel was killed, it took many yrs before the had another child seth, which explains eve's gratitude to GOd. So cain cld not have married his sister cos he did have any at that point in time. After seth, eve gave birth to more kids both male and female.

My submission is that adam was the first man GOd created that had a relationship with GOd,bt he was not the first human to be created.

Believe nothing,no matter where u read it,or who said it,no matter if I have said it,unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense ----Buddha
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by Hero10001: 12:43pm On Jun 28, 2015
damariox:
Well be rest assured. . No need to panic. The Genesis account is a pure childish mythology
Childish really? How? Why?!
It's either you'v watch too much hollywoods or you have a comprehension problem.
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by ipreach: 12:45pm On Jun 28, 2015
k

Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by brownnyj(m): 12:47pm On Jun 28, 2015
The Bible actually indicates that Adam and Eve did, in fact, have daughters. This is the book of the generations of Adam. When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God. 2 Male and female he created them, and he blessed them and named them Man when they were created. 3 When Adam had lived 130 years, he fathered a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth. 4 The days of Adam after he fathered Seth were 800 years; and he had other sons and daughters. 5 Thus all the days that Adam lived were 930 years, and he died. Genesis 5:1-5 We also know that Seth was born after Cain had killed Abel: And Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son and called his name Seth, for she said, "God has appointed for me another offspring instead of Abel, for Cain killed him." Genesis 4:25 So, when Adam was 130 years old after Cain killed Abel, Eve became pregnant and gave birth to Seth. So, did Adam and Eve have other children in between the time that Cain and Abel were born and Seth was born? We can't say absolutely, but we can't say absolutely not either. It certainly seems reasonable that other children would have been born during that time. Genesis 5 does indicate that Adam and Eve had daughters as well (plural), though we are not told how many. The very minimum would be three sons and two daughters. Apparently Jewish tradition holds that Adam and Eve actually had 33 sons and 23 daughters. This is not biblical, of course, but it aligns with the idea that Adam and Eve were probably extremely fruitful and multiplied greatly, as God had commanded them. The genetics were quite pure as well as the environment at that time. They lived a long time (Adam was 930 years old when he died according to Genesis 5), so they had a lot of time to have children.
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by Rotimi47: 12:47pm On Jun 28, 2015
In the old testament females weren't mentioned and Cain and Abel were not the only children Adam and eve gave birth to; meaning before Cain killed Abel other Adam children have gone there several ways and married; their children were also reproducing too. Let look at how many years Adam spent on earth and compare it to how modern human who are married give birth to young ones; some leave a space of 2 years while some leave just a year interval, let multiply that what Adams years on earth and also take note that then they only die of old age and Cain was the only human that first killed a fellow human then, sickness and diseases were not heard of then. I believe that is what happened.
Re: The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative? by jomoh: 12:50pm On Jun 28, 2015
omenka:
I don't understand how seeking a better understanding of one's religion amount to attempting to getting things "out of hand". undecided

I believe there is someone out there that could offer some reasonable explanation as to why things are the way they are in contrast to the explanations given by our Holy Books.

Check this out \/

oyeludef:
Genesis 5 New International Version (NIV)

From Adam to Noah
5 This is the written account of Adam’s family line.

When God created mankind, he made them in the likeness of God. 2 He created them male and female and blessed them. And he named them “Mankind”[a] when they were created.

3 When Adam had lived 130 years, he had a son in his own likeness, in his own image; and he named him Seth. 4 After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters. 5 Altogether, Adam lived a total of 930 years, and then he died.

6 When Seth had lived 105 years, he became the father[b] of Enosh. 7 After he became the father of Enosh, Seth lived 807 years and had other sons and daughters. 8 Altogether, Seth lived a total of 912 years, and then he died.

9 When Enosh had lived 90 years, he became the father of Kenan. 10 After he became the father of Kenan, Enosh lived 815 years and had other sons and daughters. 11 Altogether, Enosh lived a total of 905 years, and then he died.

12 When Kenan had lived 70 years, he became the father of Mahalalel. 13 After he became the father of Mahalalel, Kenan lived 840 years and had other sons and daughters. 14 Altogether, Kenan lived a total of 910 years, and then he died.

15 When Mahalalel had lived 65 years, he became the father of Jared. 16 After he became the father of Jared, Mahalalel lived 830 years and had other sons and daughters. 17 Altogether, Mahalalel lived a total of 895 years, and then he died.

18 When Jared had lived 162 years, he became the father of Enoch. 19 After he became the father of Enoch, Jared lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters. 20 Altogether, Jared lived a total of 962 years, and then he died.

21 When Enoch had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah. 22 After he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked faithfully with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. 23 Altogether, Enoch lived a total of 365 years. 24 Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.

25 When Methuselah had lived 187 years, he became the father of Lamech. 26 After he became the father of Lamech, Methuselah lived 782 years and had other sons and daughters. 27 Altogether, Methuselah lived a total of 969 years, and then he died.

28 When Lamech had lived 182 years, he had a son. 29 He named him Noah[c] and said, “He will comfort us in the labor and painful toil of our hands caused by the ground the Lord has cursed.” 30 After Noah was born, Lamech lived 595 years and had other sons and daughters. 31 Altogether, Lamech lived a total of 777 years, and then he died.

32 After Noah was 500 years old, he became the father of Shem, Ham and Japheth.

My take on all this is that, these people all lived closed to 1000years. You can only imagine how many children they can have in that time. If we can have today, people that live below 70years having more that 10 children with just one wife, then its possible for them to have hundreds of children before their deaths.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) / What Is Your Favourite Hymn? / Evangelist Billy Graham Dies At 99

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.