Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,908 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? - Music/Radio (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? (44117 Views)

Why Do People Sing In The Shower? / Can You Sing In French Language? / Singers That Really Can't Sing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by omomone(m): 10:13pm On Mar 04, 2009
I don't think that is rong , a star should be able to show his or her talent, in deferents languagies,
  ig,yo, ha,ca,and may more,
[right  [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]][/right]
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chiogo(f): 3:02am On Mar 05, 2009
Afrocynic, I don't know who N!gga raw is but if you understood igbo, you'd understand the acronym Asha 80 just gave you for the n!gga raw dude.

Nig-nigerian
g-guy
a-anakpo
r-raw

Basically, the above means 'a Nigerian guy they call raw'

And you mentioned something about American rappers not being able to use such acronym. FYI, 2pac did. His definition of NIGGA was:
N-never
I-ignorant about
G-getting
G-goals
A-accomplished

Thought you were a hip-hop head, u coulda fooled me.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 4:40am On Mar 05, 2009
chiogo:

Afrocynic, I don't know who N!gga raw is but if you understood igbo, you'd understand the acronym Asha 80 just gave you for the n!gga raw dude.

Nig-nigerian
g-guy
a-anakpo
r-raw

Basically, the above means 'a Nigerian guy they call raw'

And you mentioned something about American rappers not being able to use such acronym. FYI, 2pac did. His definition of NIGGA was:
N-never
I-ignorant about
G-getting
G-goals
A-accomplished

Thought you were a hip-hop head, u coulda fooled me.

Could this dude 'N!gga raw' go abroad with that name? he would not get on british or american radio with that name, forget that it is an acronym, do you think this acronym would be excusable;

B-eing
I-nto
T-eaching
C-an
H-elp

I think that word is insulting to any black person, that dude says it's an acronym does not convince me. Yes, I am a hip hop head, these credentials I never i have to prove to anyone. I am for good nigerian music, that reps us right, music from people who are proud of being who they are, folks who don't have to front and that is why I do not dig most naija rappers.

Telling me what you did about 'Pac does not further your argument, 'Pac knew better than to have that as his MC name. It's like someone have the moniker 'African Monkey' and putting some full stop in between so they can tell you it's an acronym, what would you think?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 9:55am On Mar 05, 2009
AfroCynic:

How else i'm i supposed to get the message out to the readers whom are of different ethnicities?

@ Fayasoul, this is exactly the point I was inviting you to demonstrate in my last comment to you. Now if you have to use English to get your message (of  a few sentences) out to just a handful of people here of different ethnicities, why do you criticise (Igbo) musicians for using English to do the same thing, when they have many fans they want to appeal to?

Have you ever thought that maybe some Yoruba people dont mind that people who are not Yoruba dont understand when they speak? Maybe they are not in fact speaking to everyone.

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Dotman01(m): 12:01pm On Mar 05, 2009
Lets stop decievin ourselvs, if u dnt ad yoruba to ur chorus or lines in ur song. U aint gonna make it in d south west wch is wer d makt is. D easterners do sell d music while d westerners are d consumers period.
On dat nigaraw guy, i also tink dat name is truly offensive ao would u xpect white man to pronounce his name nd dnt get killed? Or dey gon kal him N-RAW?. Dnt tink am against any tribe most of my fav artists are igbo.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Dotman01(m): 12:01pm On Mar 05, 2009
Lets stop decievin ourselvs, if u dnt ad yoruba to ur chorus or lines in ur song. U aint gonna make it in d south west wch is wer d makt is. D easterners do sell d music while d westerners are d consumers period.
On dat nigaraw guy, i also tink dat name is truly offensive ao would u xpect white man to pronounce his name nd dnt get killed? Or dey gon kal him N-RAW?. Dnt tink am against any tribe most of my fav artists are igbo.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by manuelo130: 12:10pm On Mar 05, 2009
i think this guy did not do his research thoroughly before posting this question. like so many people have pointed out, present Nigerian artistes have been so resourceful that they realized what they needed to do for their albums to succeed and sell in various parts of the country and at the same time achieve a national appeal.
Till recently, i did not get to know where D,Banj came from, likewise TUface and so many of them.
I say kudos to the new generation of Nigerian artiste for their ingenuity and resourcefullness.
i see it as a promotion of our the rich cultural heritage and nothing to worry about. period.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 12:12pm On Mar 05, 2009
Dotman01:

You're ignorant to have made such statement
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by ayobase(m): 12:20pm On Mar 05, 2009
everyone is making sense,
but castigating in disguise.

why cant we just stop this bullshit!!
Are we not one?

What we should talk about is the
pollution the Western Culture has caused
our Videos and,
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Dotman01(m): 12:49pm On Mar 05, 2009
You're ignorant to have made such statement
@afam. Am ignorant dat dey sell cds,dvds, along d road?
Am ignorant dat dey are d major marketers at alaba?

Till recently, i did not get to know where D,Banj came from, likewise TUface.@manuelo
May be ure nt a 9ja music fan cos if ure? U go don know b4 say inno idibia na benue born nd Dapo oyeBANJo na yooba boi, its like listenin to rap without knowin nothin bout 'pac nd b.i.g
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by jaguda(m): 1:00pm On Mar 05, 2009
make we kukuma rename this thread Afam4eva vs Others, afam, e don do, u be woman, if dem no gree hear ur own, must u punish all of us here.
some serious questions for the house:  

1. wetin make musician make songs?
2. d song make sense?
3. d artiste gain acceptance?
4. d artiste make money?
5. who d song appeal to?

dese na wetin matter for artistes. Singing in anoda lingua makes u look versatile. make una no bring Biafra and Oduduwa come here ooooo

Afam, sheath ur sword or i go issue warrant of suspension from Seun to you.

Abeg, abeg, abeg, make una help beg that guy wey dey use snake as avatar/picture/wateva say jaguda fear snake well well,(my hand dey even dey shake as i dey type) make e change am, abeg. S-E-U-N plssssssssssssssssssss do sumtin ooooooooooooooo

Dotman01:

Lets stop decievin ourselvs, if u dnt ad yoruba to ur chorus or lines in ur song. U aint gonna make it in d south west wch is  wer d makt is. D easterners do sell d music while d westerners are d consumers period.

Oga, u no serious, wen Pasuma dey mix english with fuji, no probelm for there abi? who are the westerners? how many yorubas dey Lagos compared to other tribes, abi u think say evribody wey speak koroba na koroba person? Waffi say any which way, frog must jump, appeal to Lagos market and not some bloody illiterate westerners. if u want appeal to westerners, go sell ur music for Ekiti, Ondo, Oyo and Osun. Lagos is cosmopolitan, u hear. how many so called westerners dey buy english songs or songs from english artistes, go Mushin and check wetin dem dey buy? Paso, Obesere, saheed Osupa and co. dese guys get their own  superstars (koroba superstars), so tell me, how one or two lines of koroba in a song go appeal to dem? the target market different.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Dotman01(m): 1:22pm On Mar 05, 2009
@jaguda u must b insane for callin pasuma koroba superstars.
If lagos no be yoruba state pls tel mi wetin lagos b? Na hausa/ibibio state. Hausa ppl plenty 4 any state dem go even name d area sabo does dat mean dey own d state?
Tel me any artiste dat sings in his mother tongue havin such lucrative contract wit glo except pasuma.
Look ere aint a fan of pasuma but i know dat he's definately richer dan most of this hiphop megastars.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Dotman01(m): 1:34pm On Mar 05, 2009
Oh boi u need a room at ARO. u said ppl frm d west are illetrate this is wer civilisatn started 4 9ja.
Thank God u named those fuji artiste urself. Oya name anoda list of igbo artiste wey dey sing wit dier lang wey don make am.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 1:55pm On Mar 05, 2009
jaguda:

make we kukuma rename this thread Afam4eva vs Others, afam, e don do, u be woman, if dem no gree hear ur own, must u punish all of us here.
some serious questions for the house:  

1. wetin make musician make songs?
2. d song make sense?
3. d artiste gain acceptance?
4. d artiste make money?
5. who d song appeal to?

dese na wetin matter for artistes. Singing in anoda lingua makes u look versatile. make una no bring Biafra and Oduduwa come here ooooo

Afam, sheath ur sword or i go issue warrant of suspension from Seun to you.

Abeg, abeg, abeg, make una help beg that guy wey dey use snake as avatar/picture/wateva say jaguda fear snake well well,(my hand dey even dey shake as i dey type) make e change am, abeg. S-E-U-N plssssssssssssssssssss do sumtin ooooooooooooooo

Oga, u no serious, wen Pasuma dey mix english with fuji, no probelm for there abi? who are the westerners? how many yorubas dey Lagos compared to other tribes, abi u think say evribody wey speak koroba na koroba person? Waffi say any which way, frog must jump, appeal to Lagos market and not some bloody illiterate westerners. if u want appeal to westerners, go sell ur music for Ekiti, Ondo, Oyo and Osun. Lagos is cosmopolitan, u hear. how many so called westerners dey buy english songs or songs from english artistes, go Mushin and check wetin dem dey buy? Paso, Obesere, saheed Osupa and co. dese guys get their own  superstars (koroba superstars), so tell me, how one or two lines of koroba in a song go appeal to dem? the target market different.

Now, this is plumb ethnocentrism, who are the so called 'koroba' people? who exactly are you talking about, please enlighten me.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Dotman01(m): 2:51pm On Mar 05, 2009
I nw understand wat he was talkin bout by usin d term 'koroba' jibiti abi na wetin u kal urself. U nid treatment o!
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by egheleghe(m): 3:07pm On Mar 05, 2009
This thread dey laf me.how can you stay inside those ancient yoruba villages with rust roof and laterite mud bricks to presume that we listen to yoruba music. Here in ph all those una yoruba songs no dey make sense.duncan mighty sold the most last year and he sang in ikwerre and igbo.nigga raw na 2nd and flava na 3rd.na only dbanj and 9ice we buy and dem no follow for top 10.we prefer igbo songs.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 3:30pm On Mar 05, 2009
egheleghe:

This thread dey laf me.how can you stay inside those ancient yoruba villages with rust roof and laterite mud bricks to presume that we listen to yoruba music. Here in ph all those una yoruba songs no dey make sense.duncan mighty sold the most last year and he sang in ikwerre and igbo.nigga raw na 2nd and flava na 3rd.na only dbanj and 9ice we buy and dem no follow for top 10.we prefer igbo songs.

You obviously have a problem understanding English, so, enjoy.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Dotman01(m): 3:42pm On Mar 05, 2009
@eghe abi na wetin u kal urself i was in ph 4 almost all of last yr, nd dem dey dig gongo aso lyk galala nd its d same wit all other yoruba music 4 ph. U say dem prefer igbo music? Why u dey lie nw.
Na u no dey make any sense,
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by khanye(m): 4:12pm On Mar 05, 2009
egheleghe:

LoL cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 4:16pm On Mar 05, 2009
Dotman01:

@eghe abi na wetin u kal urself i was in ph 4 almost all of last yr, nd dem dey dig gongo aso lyk galala nd its d same wit all other yoruba music 4 ph. U say dem prefer igbo music? Why u dey lie nw.
Na u no dey make any sense,

They enjoy anything that is good, but don't tell me that people who live in an ibo city enjoy yoruba music more, that's insane thinking.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by eccentric(m): 4:34pm On Mar 05, 2009
Unite O nairalanders for thou art Nigerians.One love keep us together.This thread should not exist were we a united people.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Udode(f): 5:08pm On Mar 05, 2009
@sagamite

Long time no see, how are you! could you find another job afther lb?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by ayobase(m): 6:00pm On Mar 05, 2009
case closed on this!!!!
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by romeo(m): 7:04pm On Mar 05, 2009
AfroCynic:

That's good for you, but I meant name one artist who who has blown without using Yoruba either in their chorus or in verse, plain and simple. I could give a damn about some dude who wants to call himself a N!gga, that's on him.

How could you be shouting ethnocentrism is this thread while mainting that ur Yoruba language make songs popular in Nigeria?

Tuface became famous because his "African Queen" was sang in Yoruba?
Faze's Kolomental was sang in Yoruba?
P Square did all their hit tracks in Yoruba?
Timaya did "Dem Mama" in Yoruba?

If anybody is deluded it's you.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 8:52pm On Mar 05, 2009
romeo:

How could you be shouting ethnocentrism is this thread while mainting that ur Yoruba language make songs popular in Nigeria?

Tuface became famous because his "African Queen" was sang in Yoruba?
Faze's Kolomental was sang in Yoruba?
P Square did all their hit tracks in Yoruba?
Timaya did "Dem Mama" in Yoruba?

If anybody is deluded it's you.

Thanks for answering that ethnocentric tribalist
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 9:49pm On Mar 05, 2009
afam4eva:

Thanks for answering that ethnocentric tribalist

Lol @ someone being an ethnocentric tribalist, abeg no be by force, if you now how to talk am, just leave the grammer be.

P sqaure have had mad songs using Yoruba words, I have both their albums. As for Timaya, I just hear a song by dude called 'Iywao mi' Tuface did not have a song called 'Ole' or am I dreaming? Oh and 'Faze alone' didn't know have Yoruba in its chorus? hmmn!

Never did I say one would have to make an entire song in Yoruba, I said either the chorus or some words in the verse, why does that pain Afam so much?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by egheleghe(m): 10:05pm On Mar 05, 2009
@afrocynic.2face did african queen in igbo.timaya did dem mama in igbo,p square did ifunanya in igbo,d banj did igwe in igbo.2face and timaya particularly exclaim in igbo in most of their songs(chineke me!).i'm not igbo but i'm only being real.in the east and niger delta,we have an entirely different stars that sing in other languages.do you know asuo ekiye?korkormikor?m trill?frank d nero?chinweike(estar)?nwaba?desperate chicks?soty?ibiso?or you only consider lagos based as stars.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 11:24pm On Mar 05, 2009
egheleghe:

@afrocynic.2face did african queen in igbo.timaya did dem mama in igbo,p square did ifunanya in igbo,d banj did igwe in igbo.2face and timaya particularly exclaim in igbo in most of their songs(chineke me!).i'm not igbo but i'm only being real.in the east and niger delta,we have an entirely different stars that sing in other languages.do you know asuo ekiye?korkormikor?m trill?frank d nero?chinweike(estar)?nwaba?desperate chicks?soty?ibiso?or you only consider lagos based as stars.

Err, no. My favourite naija star right now is Timaya, I think he the best because he keeps it real, you know, I love that. As for Nigerian stars singing in other languages, i am all for that, look at the title of the thread, it was not me that posited the question, it was afam and now he is mad at himself for asking the question, it's crazy. I merely answered the question he asked and now I am the villain, it's craaaaazy, 

Afam,, let a sister live, I answered your question, now you can keep it moving.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Solomon227(m): 12:30am On Mar 06, 2009
@Afam4Eva
I am a Yoruba boy plying my trade in P/H with an Ibo fiancee.I now
understand Ibo but still strugling to speak well.So "Afenifere"shuld
crucify me '4' embrasin a language dat not only help me in my career
but brings me closer to my hearthrob?people like u shuld concentrate
on tins dat unite us & not ones wit centrifugal consequences.Dbanj(Yoruba),
DonJazzy(Delta Ibo),Ikechukwu(Ibo),Naeto C.(Ibo) av collectivly turned
out award winning efforts wit Yoruba,Ibo,Hausa & Pidgin contents.U people
shuld not deny us good muzic by puting sledge of tribalism among these guyz
wit ur parochial & retrogresive posts.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by romeo(m): 7:04am On Mar 06, 2009
@Solomon227
Ur fiancee is Igbo and not Ibo. Unless you are Iyoroba undecided
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 9:20am On Mar 06, 2009
AfroCynic:

Lol @ someone being an ethnocentric tribalist, abeg no be by force, if you now how to talk am, just leave the grammer be.

P sqaure have had mad songs using Yoruba words, I have both their albums. As for Timaya, I just hear a song by dude called 'Iywao mi' Tuface did not have a song called 'Ole' or am I dreaming? Oh and 'Faze alone' didn't know have Yoruba in its chorus? hmmn!

Never did I say one would have to make an entire song in Yoruba, I said either the chorus or some words in the verse, why does that pain Afam so much?

What could i have used when there's no word to describe someone who is soooooo tribalistic, yet calling someone else an ethnocentrist.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by SegzyJoe(m): 1:11pm On Mar 06, 2009
@post
there is no intellectual input in this post, just tribal rantings

an objective analysis would have explained why most if not every musicians will want to have a Youraba mix in their songs, but most of the responses tried to defend one tribal positions or the order. quite unforfunate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply)

Album : Umu Obiligbo - Udo Ga Adi (full Album Download) / Mercy Chinwo Slams ₦2bn Lawsuit On Obidiz For Using Her Name In A Secular Music / Download D'banj - Oliver Twist Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.