Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,552 members, 7,819,957 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? - Music/Radio (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? (44159 Views)

Why Do People Sing In The Shower? / Can You Sing In French Language? / Singers That Really Can't Sing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sagamite(m): 7:53pm On Mar 03, 2009
The faulty logic I am seeing here is the assumption that if something is being done in London or UK then it is the standard by which all others should be judged at and/or it is the right approach.

The core fact is that things differ in Nigeria.

1) If an Imo boy grows up in Ibadan, at the end of the day he still regards himself as Ibo, not Yoruba. Unlike in UK, where if a boy from Aberdeen grows up and lived all his life in Brighton, then he regards Brighton as where he comes from.
2) In virtually 99% of cities in the world, you are considered to be from where your parents have established as where they come from. Whether that needs to change is debatable, whether it is right is debatable. But if we are going to make comparisons, genericity is the norm to make it with, not exceptions ala London.
3) The Nigerian approach is what is practiced across virtually everywhere else in the world. So why are we referring to the London approach as the right one. The Lagos governor can only ever be a Yoruba man, all the commissioners can only ever be Yoruba men.
4) The immigration rules in Nigeria is different from that of UK. If you are a foreigner and live in London for 20 years, you are most likely going to get citizenship and the right to claim it as your home. If you are a foreigner and live in Lagos for 50 years, Nigeria can still throw you our if they want to. So things differ.

As far as I am aware, Lagos is a Yoruba state but is also part of Nigeria and everyone from Nigeria is welcomed there and has a right to be there to live and prosper, more so, considering its historical place in Nigeria's history. That should apply to all other places across Nigeria.

FACT: The UK has identity mobility, Nigeria has none or at best minimal.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 7:56pm On Mar 03, 2009
Sagamite:

As far as I am aware, Lagos is a Yoruba state but is also part of Nigeria and everyone from Nigeria is welcomed there and has a right to be there to live and prosper, more so, considering its historical place in Nigeria's history.

Has anyone stated otherwise?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sauron1: 7:57pm On Mar 03, 2009
afam4eva:

@ sauron
With your theory, the it means even the yorubas are not native to lagos because they migrated to lagos from somewhere else.

There are natives in Lagos, u herb!!!
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 7:59pm On Mar 03, 2009
Sagamite:

3) The Nigerian approach is what is practiced across virtually everywhere else in the world. So why are we referring to the London approach as the right one. The Lagos governor can only ever be a Yoruba man, all the commissioners can only ever be Yoruba men.

You're wrong, so u don't know that there are Igbos in Fashola's cabinet
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 8:01pm On Mar 03, 2009
~Sauron~:

There are natives in Lagos, u herb!!!

This guy is sick
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sauron1: 8:02pm On Mar 03, 2009
afam4eva:

This guy is sick

U have the brain power of a slug if you dunno the difference between natives and residents.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 8:02pm On Mar 03, 2009
@ Muzbo, I am not a juvenile. I did say the language added to it, but it was mainly the beat IMO. There are many Yoruba songs around, they dont have the same appeal as Gongo Aso, even though it is the same language. If the song had a different beat and was not catchy, it would not have been a banger, simple. Thats music for you the world over.

You need to comprehend what I am actually saying though.

@ Dereloaded, try and just see what I am saying for what it is. I unlike others here maybe am not trying to suggest lagos is not a Yoruba city, its is because its in Yorubaland. However, it was a capital city, which gives it a different dimension and accessability to others who are not Yoruba. Or even people who are Yoruba but not native to lagos.

Again please cut and paste where I said it changes its history. Part of its recent history is that it was the capital city of all Nigerians. I dont get all the fuss, I for one am not a fan of lagos as a city, so I dont see the "pissing contest" personally.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by tpia: 8:06pm On Mar 03, 2009
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sagamite(m): 8:08pm On Mar 03, 2009
DeReloaded:

Has anyone stated otherwise?

Dimwit, did you see me refer to someone saying otherwise? Or I am just stating where I stand.

afam4eva:

You're wrong, so u don't know that there are Igbos in Fashola's cabinet

I am not aware of that, please correct me if I am wrong.

I know he provided the legal fees for the lady beaten by naval ratings despite the fact that she is Ibo. But I think that is a good move as she lives their and/or was assualted in the state, I will expect other governors to follow that lead when human rights are abused.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 8:13pm On Mar 03, 2009
@ Sagamite, what do you mean London is the exception? No, in most western countries you can be from  a city (especially a capital city) without having all your family ancestry from there.

Nigeria is different because in some ways it has not progressed. It is a place where people still get killled for trying to run for office where they have resided most of their lives. Its still a place where people will riot when a vice president of a university is not from the "correct" tribe. It is a place where it is called s country in name only.

If you look at all tribalism has brought into Nigeria, that alone tells you that the London way is better. That is why blood is spilt in Jos, while Ghanaians are voting in the best man the see fit into the post of president regardless of tribe.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 8:16pm On Mar 03, 2009
Sagamite:

I know he provided the legal fees for the lady beaten by naval ratings despite the fact that she is Ibo. But I think that is a good move as she lives their and/or was assualted in the state, I will expect other governors to follow that lead when human rights are abused.

Is she not a Lagosian. Do u know who a lagosian is?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 8:27pm On Mar 03, 2009
@ sagamite your analogy of an Imo boy growing up in Ibadan seeing himself as an Igbo and not a Yoruba is like comparing apples to oranges when talking about people seeing Lagos as their city. A person who is Ibibio or Hausa was born and bred in Lagos will see themselves as Hausa and Ibibio, but also lagos as their city. They will identify with Lagos more than any other, its where they know and what they have been used to.

One question. Is this "rule" others are pushing for extended to Yorubas who have no ancestral liks to Lagos too? Because I notice that when you mentioned the governor of Lagos, it was not important that his family be from lagos, but that he and every other Governor as you put it were Yoruba.

So is it about being from Lagos or about being Yoruba as to whether you can say you are a Lagosian?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 8:34pm On Mar 03, 2009
Someone please give that retarded baby his bottle. Bloody broken record and a coward to boot.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by udezue(m): 8:38pm On Mar 03, 2009
Afrocyn,

is an idiot who thinks the whole world gives a shit about Yoruba music I just proved to you that people appreciate music from other places too and yes @ INI Edo's wedding Igbo music, and also Calabar music was blasting well well. Don't hate dummy. U are far more ethnocentric than Afam so point ur fingers back @ u. LOL @ the fact that he thinks the the world revolves around Yoruba music.  I just proved you wrong.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sagamite(m): 8:39pm On Mar 03, 2009
tpia:

You're at best very sketchy and over generalizing.

Ben Akabueze is a commissioner in lagos state. I'm sure you're aware thats not a Yoruba name. Dont know when last you were home.

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/c/portal/layout?p_l_id=PUB.1043.3&p_p_id=15&p_p_action=1&p_p_state=normal&p_p_col_id=&p_p_col_pos=0&p_p_col_count=0&

That is good. A competent man is taken to do a job irrespective of his historical background. I completely agree with it if he has a strong allegiance to the state and is willing to bring the best for the people of the state.

I never thought I will even be qualified for a position in Lagos state government as I am not an indigene. So this is a surprise.

tpia:

Nigeria has far more identity mobility than the UK, in the context of the examples you posted here. Nigerians may not be able to coexist peacefully like the UK, but if you're talking of identity mobility, the UK has its own color and class issues too. The latter has been greatly minimized thanks to the effects of intense emgration over the past century.

You will need to explain what you mean or understand by the term identity mobility.

tpia:

And if you are a foreigner and live anywhere in the world for 80 years, the host country can throw you out if they want to. As the whole world saw with Nazi Germany and the Jews who had lived in Eastern Europe for generations. Your analogies are off base.

Stop comparing 193something to year 2009.

londoner:

@ Sagamite, what do you mean London is the exception? No, in most western countries you can be from  a city (especially a capital city) without having all your family ancestry from there.

Nigeria is different because in some ways it has not progressed. It is a place where people still get killled for trying to run for office where they have resided most of their lives. Its still a place where people will riot when a vice president of a university is not from the "correct" tribe. It is a place where it is called s country in name only.

If you look at all tribalism has brought into Nigeria, that alone tells you that the London way is better. That is why blood is spilt in Jos, while Ghanaians are voting in the best man the see fit into the post of president regardless of tribe.

Keywords: "in most western countries"

Most of the countries in the world are not western.

The London way is only possible with (1) minimal division, (2) good educational levels and (3) abundance of resources.

Nigeria does not have these like most other countries so London is an exception. Italy is a western country and one of the biggest economies in the world and yet it is more like Nigeria than the UK in its approach because of the 3 limitations I listed above.

afam4eva:

Is she not a Lagosian. Do u know who a lagosian is?

The reason I said she might not be Lagosian is because background might suggest she grew up in Abuja as her father works there.

Even if she grew up in Lagos, she is still a pseudo-Lagosian just like me (I lived and grew up in Lagos but I am from Ogun State).

A real Lagosian is the person who can compete for all political post from Lagos without a public outcry or court cases about his identity. Someone who the government can allocate a post reserved for Lagos in the quota system. Someone who is entitled and has access to funds (e.g. that for education) reserved for Lagosians. Someone who's ancestors are local indigenes or have claimed local indigenery of Lagos right from time. Someone that can achieve all these even if they have lived and grown up in Ouguadougou all there life.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 8:40pm On Mar 03, 2009
I'm happy to see any Nigerian musician do well , if they make good music. Music is something that does not discriminate. if it sounds good to you, you will dance. Calabra, Igbo, Yoruba, its secondary to just appreciating good music.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 8:41pm On Mar 03, 2009
Dance Dance and forget your sorrow grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 11:15pm On Mar 03, 2009
udezue:

Afrocyn,

is an idiot who thinks the whole world gives a shit about Yoruba music I just proved to you that people appreciate music from other places too and yes @ INI Edo's wedding Igbo music, and also Calabar music was blasting well well. Don't hate dummy. U are far more ethnocentric than Afam so point ur fingers back @ u. LOL @ the fact that he thinks the the world revolves around Yoruba music.  I just proved you wrong.

Lol, you proved to me that that I am wrong because Ini Edo listened to Igbo music? who let you out of the asylum? Fool, and who told what ethnic group I belong to?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by StFunmi(f): 12:58am On Mar 04, 2009

When did Lagbaja sing in Igbo

This is lagos or eko. something like that. It's in coolu temper album.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by fayahsoul: 5:29am On Mar 04, 2009
[size=16pt]U cannat serve 2 masters at a time. U either serve the creator or u serve money.

Only zombies or sell-outs put business before cultural preservation.

Starving igbo artists adopt english(and other languages) to gain mass appeal while being too narrow minded to overstand, or just can't care less about, the adverse impact that their opportunistic move will have on their cultural heritage. We answer the names of our oppressor, worship their "God", honour and adopt the names of their "saints", represent the image of our creator in the likeness of our oppressor, females tone their skin, perm their hair and wear wigs to look like their oppressor, we prefer to speak the oppressors language, in short we aspire to be like the oppressor. Where is your dignity? Big shame on u all.

Our igbo females, elders, socialites, spiritual leaders, political and economic elites keep faking the funk and dogging us. The masses follow the trends that these elite set. U are all enemies of progress who must, and will, be brought to justice. Same can be said about every other freaking group in alkebulan.

These white devils have done a really good job at conditioning your minds.

Amadioha nonso
.[/size]

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by fayahsoul: 5:43am On Mar 04, 2009
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by udezue(m): 7:24am On Mar 04, 2009
AfroCynic:

Lol, you proved to me that that I am wrong because Ini Edo listened to Igbo music? who let you out of the asylum? Fool, and who told what ethnic group I belong to?

Cheiiii @ ur stupidity. Ini Edo's wedding is just 1 example. Must I point out 1 million examples for it to sink into that thick skull of yours? I don't think so. lol @ Ini Edo listens to Igbo music. I guess she organized the wedding herself, married herself and invited herself.

Ode. U can be Nupe if u like. Ishi ede.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 9:29am On Mar 04, 2009
St.Funmi:

This is lagos or eko. something like that. It's in coolu temper album.

and how is that IBO
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 11:02am On Mar 04, 2009
@Fayasoul, I see are using the "oppressor's" language, woops they've got you too, lol

Even people like Fela, had appeal overseas using English in his songs. Were most of his songs in Yoruba?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by jaguda(m): 11:14am On Mar 04, 2009
Na joblessness dey worry all of una. so na wether Igbo Man sing with Yoruba or Yoruba man sing with Igbo, naim una dey quarrel put so tay persons dey enter assylum, pple dey turn dummy and co. WAKE UP, YA" ALL! Naija is more than that, we don move on from the days of Osita Osadebey and Ebenezer Obey, even den Rex Lawson did songs in virtually all highlife languages, any body curse am?

D'banj!D'banj!D'banj!D'banj!, D'banj do the entire song in Igbo, abi na phrases him use. Oruka by Sunny Nneji was even more complicated for the Ogoja man dan igwe for Banji.

But, eni wey, all man get point for him side. person wey sing with another tongue want show him skill and appeal to a wider audience, not necessarily becos of money, but acceptance. Artistes are PARTICULAR about acceptance and perception as VERSATILE.

MAKE I BEG UNA, NO FIGHTING PLS. IF FITE HUNGRY U, COME OUR PARK FOR UNDER BRIDGE FOR OSHODI, WE GET PEOPLE WEY DEY FIND FITE,
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Phemzy(m): 11:26am On Mar 04, 2009
Depending on where they grow up.

Not even all Igbo artistes that sing in Yoruba. What of artistes like Duncan Mighty though he is from Ikwerre, Niga Raw and others.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by carnal: 11:59am On Mar 04, 2009
Carnal, thank you. Speaks your language and your wife's? Amazing.

Some people will be giving some stupid excuse that it is not possible to do this abroad. Probably you are using juju then if you did it.

You go to these Nigerian parties and homes and all you see is parents blasting fone to their children.

You see that my nephew in my picture, the only thing I blast to him is Yoruba and I refuse to speak English to him and when he grows up he must answer in Yoruba or else I will not even respond.

I have told his nanny that it is only Yoruba they should speak to him. He will learn the English in School, just like me.

I have made it clear to the parents that if he can not speak Yoruba in future then he should not expect any kind of birthday/xmas presents from me.

Yes o @ sagamite, i am yoruba, married
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by jiggaz(m): 12:37pm On Mar 04, 2009
Afam, i feel u, really some Igbo guyz do sing in yoruba, but it doesn't mean anything, they want to penetrate into Lagos market, but it doesnt mean dat when u sing in yoruba u ll blow, u can blow using Igbo, Have u heard about The Desperate Chicks and Slow Dogg, their tracks Okpomekwe and La lona were the rave in the whole of the South East and some South South states, Okpomekwe is 100% Igbo and La Lona is mixed, so weda u sing in igbo or yoruba,if ur song doesnt hav the right melody to capture people,it wont blow, an example is Timaya, he stays in PH,but he has conquered the Lagos market,
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 1:17pm On Mar 04, 2009
jiggaz:

an example is Timaya, he stays in PH,but he has conquered the Lagos market,

Good, did he sing in Yoruba? NO
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 1:43pm On Mar 04, 2009
afam4eva:

Not entirely but he does mix it up with some Yoruba words, to be honest it damn near impossible for aritsts, almost everyone says certain Yoruba words, just get over it dude, no big deal.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by carnal: 1:51pm On Mar 04, 2009
@afam4eva, i guess you have not listened to timaya's latest album ,so i willa dvise you pick one up bcus timaya did more than enough mixes with yoruba.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 2:13pm On Mar 04, 2009
carnal:

@afam4eva, i guess you have not listened to timaya's latest album ,so i willa dvise you pick one up bcus timaya did more than enough mixes with yoruba.

Like he did'nt do songs in Igbo too

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply)

Download D'banj - Oliver Twist Here / Mercy Chinwo Slams ₦2bn Lawsuit On Obidiz For Using Her Name In A Secular Music / NBC Bans Olamide Song, 'Don't-Stop' For Vulgar Lyrics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.