Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. (10766 Views)

A Critical Analysis Of 2016 Budget / Ranking Of States By Poverty Rates In Nigeria / Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by OduaVanguard: 12:11pm On Jul 02, 2015
scholes0:

lol... Parmaceuticals, Beverages, Steel companies, Food processing, Cosmetics, Electronics, Cement and Construction, Stock Exchange, Media, Are all MAJORLY based in the SOUTH WEST.
The largest Cement producing region in all All of Africa, is for example, Ogun state.
The biggest non Oil investment ever in the history os Nigeria is also in Ogun
Etc.... Etc ....
And you are there talking about boxers production....
I pity you.

You forgot to mention our numerous agro-industries -- last year alone the region exported a billion dollars worth of cocoa alone.

2 Likes

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Mrco2: 12:51pm On Jul 02, 2015
@ OP pls include the stats for Lagos so we can learn and engage in a meaningful discus. Am sure even if Lagos is added the difference may not be more than 5% @ that the OP will still be right in his analysis. OP pls do the needful.

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by otr1(m): 1:10pm On Jul 02, 2015
Lovesdaisied:
I came across the below thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/2418994/ranking-nigerian-states-poverty-rates

And was amused by how quick people are to rejoice over what is presented to them, without thinking clearly about the stipulations.

The D***ck measuring contest between the SW and SE was even more amusing, when the truth is that....

SE and SW viritually have the same poverty rate!!!!!!

Let's go over the rates for each state, zooming into the SW and SE specifically. I have excluded border states of Kwara, Kogi and Delta (which are designated as North central and South South, and honestly do not deviate much from what we see in the list). I also excluded Lagos, which is a multicultural bed of different groups and not representative of the strength of each region.

Okay then:

SW
2. Osun 10.90%
4. Ekiti 12.90%
12. Ogun 26.10%
14. Ondo 27.90%
17. Oyo 29.40%

SE

3. Anambra 11.20%
6. Imo 19.80%
7. Abia 21.00%
15. Enugu 28.80%
21. Ebonyi 56.00%

My thoughts....

Osun is only marginally less poor than Anambra (11.2-10.9=.03% difference).

Other SE states and SW states occupy the top lists in equal succession. Look again folks!

The only exception to this is Ebonyi which has a poverty rate comparable to the North. Abysmal, but still....

If you take the simple average of all the states' poverty rate for each region but disregard their populations (which looks like what the OP did in his original thread) you would think that the SW is the least poor. This is just because of the drag that we see in Ebonyi.

HOWEVER.

A weighed average of all the states (taking into account their populations) is a better representative of the poverty rate for each region going by this list. Ebonyi is the least populated state in the SE. Discount Lagos which is a multicultural city and you will see that the SW and SE actually may have similar poverty rates.

I recalculated the poverty rate taking account the populations of all the states. I am basing this on the 2006 census as we don't have any other indicators to go by. If there are more recent numbers I am still certain that calculating the results would yield around the same conclusions.

The real calculations:

SW Population Poverty Rate Population in Poverty
2. Osun 3,423,535.00 10.90% 373,165.32
4. Ekiti 2,384,212.00 12.90% 307,563.35
12. Ogun 3,728,098.00 26.10% 973,033.58
14. Ondo 3,441,024.00 27.90% 960,045.70
17. Oyo 5,591,589.00 29.40% 1,643,927.17
Total 18,568,458.00 4,257,735.10
Poverty rate of SW (4,257,735/18,568,458) 23%

SE Population Poverty Rate Population in Poverty
3. Anambra 4,182,032.00 11.20% 468,387.58
6. Imo 3,934,899.00 19.80% 779,110.00
7. Abia 2,833,999.00 21.00% 595,139.79
15. Enugu 3,257,298.00 28.80% 938,101.82
21. Ebonyi 2,173,501.00 56.00% 1,217,160.56
16,381,729.00 3,997,899.76
Poverty rate of SE (3,997,900/16,381,729) 24%

Now....can these two regions finally shut da feck up and worry about the myriad of problems facing the entire country??
Doesn't occur to you that the number of people living below poverty line in the SE would be 4,456,430- higher than that of the SW-if its population is 18,568,458? And does it occur to you that the SW population living in poverty would be 3,767,798 if its population is 16,381729?

How does your analysis dispute the fact that we have less proportion of people living in poverty in the SW-excluding Lagos- than what's obtained in the SE?

And actual poverty rates for SW and SE considering the population are 22.9299% and 24.4046% respectively. It makes a lot of difference

4 Likes

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 02, 2015
Does this change the fact that Osun, the most prosperous South West state is living on welfare?

Tell me what I don't know.

For a layman, go to Oshogbo, Osun State the best in SW and go to Abakiliki, Ebonyi State the worst in SE, then decide who are poor.

It's not about supplying false data to the UN, the reality is there.

One good thing though, let the false statistics keep deceiving some people until they are rated as the Almajiris.

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by ckmayoca: 1:27pm On Jul 02, 2015
timilehing:
This Op is one Deluded tribal bigot.

On a more serious note, you need to travel round both SW & SE States to know the poverty level in their communities. I've had the opportunity of living in both geo-political zones & also in North-central. If I'm to be a bigot like you, I'll just give you the following situations to examine:

1. Why do SE leave their village for better town & cities in SW?
2. If poverty level is equal in both region, money flow will be the same, why don't SE people remain in their region & develop their business there?
3. Why are they coming to SW to make money to build mansion in their village?
4. At least, one in every immediate family member of any SE will be in SW making money, but you barely see one in ten families of SW making money in SE.

Go anywhere to prove me wrong nna, Southwest have more money flow/circulation than Southeast.

You made a point but it's cos of nearness to sea... the port! Just like money is more in new York. If there is a seaport in south east or south south, it will obviously be same or southsouth/south east florish the more.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by forgiveness: 2:27pm On Jul 02, 2015
scholes0:

Bwahahahahaha.....
E dey pain you o... gen gen .
You said MENTION ANYTHING produced in Yoruba land..... and I am giving you a non exhaustive list.... now, you want to start placing geographical restrictions on me ....

Dude.... I dont want to have to have to force it down your guts, but the South-West is Nigeria's epicenter..... Lagos has tried, and the baton is being slowly but surely handing over to ogun.
Lagos will focus on services, while Ogun will focus on Industry, Oyo will focus on Commerce (Ibadan comes to mind), Ondo will provide Oil and gas (as it will soon be the No4 largest Oil producer in Nigeria), Ekiti will be a scenic hinterland laden with beautiful hills, and lush countryside ideal for Tourism, and business conferencing, Osun is our Spiritual homeland... ... Allocate function the SE states how it pleases you, Anambra can be your commercial centre while Ebonyi can be your food basket, but that is none of my business.

@ bolded

can you pls tell me more about it? tanks
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Karlman: 2:52pm On Jul 02, 2015
timilehing:
This Op is one Deluded tribal bigot.

On a more serious note, you need to travel round both SW & SE States to know the poverty level in their communities. I've had the opportunity of living in both geo-political zones & also in North-central. If I'm to be a bigot like you, I'll just give you the following situations to examine:

1.Why do SE leave their village for better town & cities in SW?
2. If poverty level is equal in both region, money flow will be the same, why don't SE people remain in their region & develop their business there?
3. Why are they coming to SW to make money to build mansion in their village?
4. At least, one in every immediate family member of any SE will be in SW making money, but you barely see one in ten families of SW making money in SE.

Go anywhere to prove me wrong nna, Southwest have more money flow/circulation than Southeast.

At the beginning of this your tripe, one would be expecting a sensible statement but at it went down it became mere shit!

Only a man with shit in his head would assume south east is village & south west is town.

FYI my village in Enugu is same as ONDo town. Its only when you're in lagos you think that's how sw look it, pls travel Mr travel to sw states & come back & tell which sw state is better than any state in SE?

Apart from lagos every other state in sw is a big village & I am talking from experience.

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by timilehing(m): 2:56pm On Jul 02, 2015
jcross19:
this one is coming from ondo man. See what you posted that really show that you educated illiterate, even even american leave their motherland for vietnam to reside , you are here spewing dust. All those cloths, shoes , bags and many things you have inside your room were bought from south east so wake up and travel. Journey is a part of education. What you posted really show that you sit and stay in one place.
Are you trying to tell me that the fact Nigerians travelling to reside/work in every nook & cranny of the world is not an indication of poverty existing here in Nigeria as a whole?
Why don't we have Britishs & Americans craving for Nigeria visa the way we're applying for theirs?

BTW, would any sane American leave his peaceful land & reside in Vietnam of all places? You don't have any point

2 Likes

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by timilehing(m): 2:59pm On Jul 02, 2015
forgiveness:

@ bolded

why do you think Ondo state became part of NDDC? Ondo has the 2nd largest bitumen Depot in the whole world aside their un-exploited oil reserves. Google is your friend

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by timilehing(m): 3:11pm On Jul 02, 2015
Karlman:

At the beginning of this your tripe, one would be expecting a sensible statement but at it went down it became mere shit!

Only a man with shit in his head would assume south east is village & south west is town.

FYI my village in Enugu is same as ONDo town. Its only when you're in lagos you think that's how sw look it, pls travel Mr travel to sw states & come back & tell which sw state is better than any state in SE?

Apart from lagos every other state in sw is a big village & I am talking from experience.
Brother, like I've earlier said, I've had the opportunity of living in 3 geo-political zones across this country.
I've lived in 5 Southwest States (remaining Oyo, I've been there but never spend a night), I stayed in Kwara state for 5yrs+ and I served in Anambra state (Aguata LG very close to Orlu in Imo)
I really don't believe when Igbos always called their hometown "village" until my time with them.
We both know how the whole Igbo land looks like so stop fooling yourself

2 Likes

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by sanmibukunmi: 3:33pm On Jul 02, 2015
jcross19:
if southeast are parasite then you are the pest. Japan has no natural resources but they live better than kuwait with oil all over everywhere, think with your brain sir. If the southeast are the problem then let the government leave them alone abi na by force to be one ah aha.
Did you say Japan liver better than kuwait.....shooooo
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Karlman: 3:38pm On Jul 02, 2015
timilehing:
Brother, like I've earlier said, I've had the opportunity of living in 3 geo-political zones across this country.
I've lived in 5 Southwest States (remaining Oyo, I've been there but never spend a night), I stayed in Kwara state for 5yrs+ and I served in Anambra state (Aguata LG very close to Orlu in Imo)
I really don't believe when Igbos always called their hometown "village" until my time with them.
We both know how the whole Igbo land looks like so stop fooling yourself

Dude if there's anyone fooling here that would be you!

This is nothing about tribe but your ignorance is appalling.

There is no single south west state that is better than any state in south east.

I am not a regular lagos igbo boy, I am the sort of igbo who can read & write both yoruba & igbo comfortably. So I have no interest in tribal shit.

I am only giving you fact as it is, I lived & well among the yorubas & know how their villages are. Ordinary igbesa here there is no better houses irrespective of the fact that it is the village of the aworis who have been selling all the major lands in lagos.

The only yoruba village that looks anything like igbo village is ijebu ode, this are the only peeps who build houses in their villages. Every other thing the yoruba owns ends in lagos & lagos alone. You can imagine that from ore express going to ondo town there is vitually no block house until approaching adekule uni.

Guy pls take your nonsense elsewhere, I don't wanna be saying shit about yoruba peeps cos I've been with them probably before you're born. I started my studies with alawiye that's how deep I am. So don't get on my nérves with your childish brainless idleness & thoughtlessness

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 02, 2015
otr1:

Doesn't occur to you that the number of people living below poverty line in the SE would be 4,456,430- higher than that of the SW-if its population is 18,568,458? And does it occur to you that the SW population living in poverty would be 3,767,798 if its population is 16,381729?

How does your analysis dispute the fact that we have less proportion of people living in poverty in the SW-excluding Lagos- than what's obtained in the SE?

And actual poverty rates for SW and SE considering the population are 22.9299% and 24.4046% respectively. It makes a lot of difference

22.9-24.4=1.5% difference.

1.5% difference, 1% difference. IMO statistically insignificant. Hence my point of "virtually the same rate."

The rest of your post makes no sense as we are talking percentages and not absolute numbers.

Wait a minute....why exactly am I discussing crude math with you

Are you still in secondary school? undecided
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 02, 2015
tonytony208:

Yes, you are a bigot. There is nothing common between us. For one, we are not as poverty stricken as you. Secondly we are not ruled by inferiority complex like you. Thidly, we are not empty chest beaters.…...the list is endless.

Ok.

Please stop spamming my mentions with your emotional tantrums.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jul 02, 2015
I think that the individuals who are intellectually and emotionally fit enough to understand what I have driven at in my original posts have quietly sipped the tea and moved on.

Since the thread has now been infested with brain-dead crybabies I am officially unfollowing.

cool
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by tonytony208(m): 3:47pm On Jul 02, 2015
Lovesdaisied:

Ok.

Please stop spamming my mentions with your emotional tantrums.

Shut up flaaaaathead. Use your stupid head well before making posts
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by tonytony208(m): 3:49pm On Jul 02, 2015
[quote author=BuddahMonk post=35390369][/quote]

Pls tell your mom to stop crying. Abakaliki can still be better. All hope is not lost.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 02, 2015
tonytony208:

Shut up flaaaaathead. Use your stupid head well before making posts

Obviously pained.

Carrying on like a baby.*waah waah yiboe Igbo waaah dirt poor igbo woooh*

Lol bye!
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by tonytony208(m): 3:54pm On Jul 02, 2015
jcross19:
lol na fight take it easy ahaahahhahahah you are big head mofo. Without igbo you can't survive. They come to your land and dominate you . Are you not ashame?

You are an eediot sha. You are feeding us and your own village is getting sunk in poverty everyday. Believe me, you must have been cursed. If not, you would have developed your villages before helping another to build his own. I guess slavery and backwardness are synonymous to Igbo's. You have sold your party APGA to a Hausa party PDP. you are so defeated that you can't stand alone if the SS doesn't support you. You are so backward that you can't stay in your dirty villages to do business but must lun to ragos. Bunch of eediots!

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by tonytony208(m): 4:04pm On Jul 02, 2015
Lovesdaisied:

Obviously pained.

Carrying on like a baby.*waah waah yiboe Igbo waaah dirt poor igbo woooh*

Lol bye!

You comment like a mad man. The poverty in your countly biafla must have invaded your blood streams, gone systemic and crossed your BBB into your brain. You are already showing signs of poverty-induced madness. Call them up at yaba left. They should have a spare bed for your mad serlf. And tell your dad and mom not to cry over your hopeless case; it casn happen to anyone. Sorry ehn.

Bye!

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jul 02, 2015
tonytony208:

You comment like a mad man. The poverty in your countly biafla must have invaded your blood streams, gone systemic and crossed your BBB into your brain. You are already showing signs of poverty-induced madness. Call them up at yaba left. They should have a spare bed for your mad serlf. And tell your dad and mom not to cry over your hopeless case; it casn happen to anyone. Sorry ehn.

Bye!

Oooga boooga yiboe yiboe waaah waah poor Igbo woooooo waaah waah waah

Empty emotional tantrums.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by huptin(m): 4:11pm On Jul 02, 2015
ckmayoca:

You made a point but it's cos of nearness to sea... the port! Just like money is more in new York. If there is a seaport in south east or south south, it will obviously be same or southsouth/south east florish the more.

There are 4 sea ports in the south south, Onne, warri, Port Harcourt and calabar.

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by timilehing(m): 4:16pm On Jul 02, 2015
Karlman:

There is no single south west state that is better than any state in south east.

I am not a regular lagos igbo boy, I am the sort of igbo who can read & write both yoruba & igbo comfortably. So I have no interest in tribal shit.

I am only giving you fact as it is, I lived & well among the yorubas & know how their villages are. Ordinary igbesa here there is no better houses irrespective of the fact that it is the village of the aworis who have been selling all the major lands in lagos.

The only yoruba village that looks anything like igbo village is ijebu ode, this are the only peeps who build houses in their villages. Every other thing the yoruba owns ends in lagos & lagos alone. You can imagine that from ore express going to ondo town there is vitually no block house until approaching adekule uni.

Guy pls take your nonsense elsewhere, I don't wanna be saying shit about yoruba peeps cos I've been with them probably before you're born. I started my studies with alawiye that's how deep I am. So don't get on my nérves with your childish brainless idleness & thoughtlessness
Typical of your type. I can conclude so far that you're just a road Passer not dweller.

My last reply: Tell me any SE state capital that's better than any of SW state capitals. That should ginger your lost senses and revive your thinking. No offense

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by scholes0(m): 5:15pm On Jul 02, 2015
forgiveness:

@ bolded

Sure.
Ondo is the already the no 5 or 4 largest oil producing state in Nigeria.
Akwa Ibom is 1st,
Delta is 2 or 3
Rivers is 3 or 2
Ondo or Bayelss is currently 4th or 5th.

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by tonytony208(m): 5:33pm On Jul 02, 2015
Lovesdaisied:

Oooga boooga yiboe yiboe waaah waah poor Igbo woooooo waaah waah waah

Empty emotional tantrums.

Lolz. With your new found madness, you will go places....like yaba left and Aro in Abeokuta. Just keep on madding, ok? It will soon pay off. Eediot!
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by tonytony208(m): 5:45pm On Jul 02, 2015
Karlman:

I spent over 10 years of my life in ondo state and I am very familiar with the ore-ondo road you are referring to. Brick houses might not be many, but you are very unreasonable to claim there is no brick house along that route. The problem with u igbos is that you will still boast emptily even in the face of evidence that your towns are poorer than towns in yorubaland. This was how you were claiming that Yoruba towns were dirtier than your towns until we exposed the aba story. Aba...the dirtiest town in west Africa. Abakaliki...the poorest town in southern Nigeria.

I syayu

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by forgiveness: 6:09pm On Jul 02, 2015
scholes0:

Sure.
Ondo is the already the no 5 or 4 largest oil producing state in Nigeria.
Akwa Ibom is 1st,
Delta is 2 or 3
Rivers is 3 or 2
Ondo or Bayelss is currently 4th or 5th.

ok. I know Ondo is the 5th already but i don't know how it will soon be 4th ahead of Bayelsa. However, i heard Ondo is suppose to be 2nd if the offshore(Agbami oil field) is included.

Thanks anyway.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by soulhighman(m): 6:21pm On Jul 02, 2015
baby124:
Lagos is not SW because of the geographic blah blah nonsense. What are you saying? If it was not a flourishing state in the SW, will people want to live there. When you are creating or measuring anything LAgos is SW, don't delude yourself. Who owns and runs the economy? Your argument makes absolutely no sense, and this thread is extremely stu*pid
You are damn right. The Op is high on cheap drugs.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by emmatok(m): 6:37pm On Jul 02, 2015
Rad1cal:

Even a fool knows Lagos is the melting pot of all Nigerians and can't be referred to as a typical SW state.

And why is
Calaba referred to as SS
Anambra SE
Abuja North
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by jcross19: 6:44pm On Jul 02, 2015
tonytony208:

You are an eediot sha. You are feeding us and your own village is getting sunk in poverty everyday. Believe me, you must have been cursed. If not, you would have developed your villages before helping another to build his own. I guess slavery and backwardness are synonymous to Igbo's. You have sold your party APGA to a Hausa party PDP. you are so defeated that you can't stand alone if the SS doesn't support you. You are so backward that you can't stay in your dirty villages to do business but must lun to ragos. Bunch of eediots!
you are goat
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by jcross19: 6:44pm On Jul 02, 2015
sanmibukunmi:
Did you say Japan liver better than kuwait.....shooooo
my brother check it on google
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by jcross19: 6:45pm On Jul 02, 2015
timilehing:
Are you trying to tell me that the fact Nigerians travelling to reside/work in every nook & cranny of the world is not an indication of poverty existing here in Nigeria as a whole?
Why don't we have Britishs & Americans craving for Nigeria visa the way we're applying for theirs?

BTW, would any sane American leave his peaceful land & reside in Vietnam of all places? You don't have any point
respond to what you posted. Okay

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Arase Donates N1m To Injured Police Corporal In Kano / INEC To Recruit One Million Adhoc Workers For 2019 General Elections / "President Buhari's Appointments Not Lopsided" - Femi Adesina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.