Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. (10712 Views)

A Critical Analysis Of 2016 Budget / Ranking Of States By Poverty Rates In Nigeria / Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by tonytony208(m): 7:02pm On Jul 02, 2015
jcross19:
you are goat

And your father is an eediot and worse than a common dog on the street. Eediotic empty boaster!
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by otr1(m): 7:12pm On Jul 02, 2015
Lovesdaisied:

22.9-24.4=1.5% difference.

1.5% difference, 1% difference. IMO statistically insignificant. Hence my point of "virtually the same rate."

The rest of your post makes no sense as we are talking percentages and not absolute numbers.

Wait a minute....why exactly am I discussing crude math with you

Are you still in secondary school? undecided
1% ain't significant in Economics/statistics? Are you kidding me? You already assumed Lagos isn't part of SW and you're here again decreasing the poverty rate of the SE by a whooping 0.4 and at the same time increasing the actual poverty rate of the SW by 0.07%. Do you know what that means? You reduced those living in poverty in the SE by not less than 65,000 people. That's about the population of Ihiala.
In Economics/Statistics, it's better you leave your answers in four decimal places for more accuracy. This is not a crude maths as you're making it sound, this is statistics and your aim is to achieve minimum error.
That's by the way.
You said the rest of my post isn't meaningful? If you say we're dealing in percentage and not actual figure, isn t it obvious that we have lesser percentage of people living in poverty in the SW than the SE even without Lagos in the mix? So what's exactly your point here?

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by jcross19: 7:24pm On Jul 02, 2015
bababuff:

****Bolded****

Yes the fake ones.
yes ooh and which one can you do than to beg for transport fare on the road .cooperate beggers.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by jcross19: 7:49pm On Jul 02, 2015
tonytony208:

And your father is an eediot and worse than a common dog on the street. Eediotic empty boaster!
okay are you happy
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by cmt1(m): 8:12pm On Jul 02, 2015
The state with the most industries in Nigeria is actually Ogun state.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by cmt1(m): 8:16pm On Jul 02, 2015
jcross19:
that's I said you are educated illiterate!!!!! If you don't know even that boxer you wear now was made in southeast, that suitcase inside your room at the corner, the one use to pack all your cloths was made and bought from southeast. After lagos with respect no any southwest state that can withstand southeast states in terms of industrialisation. In southeast do you know how many places they coupling vehicles? Huh, motorcycles and.....well.
The state with the most industries in Nigeria is actually Ogun state.

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 02, 2015
otr1:

1% ain't significant in Economics/statistics? Are you kidding me? You already assumed Lagos isn't part of SW and you're here again decreasing the poverty rate of the SE by a whooping 0.4 and at the same time increasing the actual poverty rate of the SW by 0.07%. Do you know what that means? You reduced those living in poverty in the SE by not less than 65,000 people. That's about the population of Ihiala.
In Economics/Statistics, it's better you leave your answers in four decimal places for more accuracy. This is not a crude maths as you're making it sound, this is statistics and your aim is to achieve minimum error.
That's by the way.
You said the rest of my post isn't meaningful? If you say we're dealing in percentage and not actual figure, isn t it obvious that we have lesser percentage of people living in poverty in the SW than the SE even without Lagos in the mix? So what's exactly your point here?

Ok. I'll throw you a bone and dash you your additional .05% if it makes you lot sleep well at night.

Have a good night.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by otr1(m): 9:04pm On Jul 02, 2015
Lovesdaisied:

Ok. I'll throw you a bone and dash you your additional .05% if it makes you lot sleep well at night.

Have a good night.
Keep your "bone". You'll need it more in the SE to make you feel good. Afterall, it's actually what you're doing here. Take care.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 02, 2015
otr1:

Keep your "bone". You'll need it more in the SE to make you feel good. Afterall, it's actually what you're doing here. Take care.

You take care too bro.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by TRUTHTOPOWER: 10:45pm On Jul 02, 2015
Lovesdaisied:

22.9-24.4=1.5% difference.

1.5% difference, 1% difference. IMO statistically insignificant. Hence my point of "virtually the same rate."

The rest of your post makes no sense as we are talking percentages and not absolute numbers.

Wait a minute....why exactly am I discussing crude math with you

Are you still in secondary school? undecided

I have been reading this thread and I am quite amused how young Nigerians debate issues of poverty with glory. Your equation 1.5 = 1 is the most fascinating. The question is are you guys quite convinced about your assertions or it is all about who blinks first. Next time when you want others to give you benefit of the doubt avoid arguing with figures. You will see that your argument will move people and at the end we can all unwind over a cup of cold
cherry. cheers
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by GentleToks(m): 11:44pm On Jul 02, 2015
Lovesdaisied:
I came across the below thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/2418994/ranking-nigerian-states-poverty-rates

And was amused by how quick people are to rejoice over what is presented to them, without thinking clearly about the stipulations.

The D***ck measuring contest between the SW and SE was even more amusing, when the truth is that....

SE and SW viritually have the same poverty rate!!!!!!

Let's go over the rates for each state, zooming into the SW and SE specifically. I have excluded border states of Kwara, Kogi and Delta (which are designated as North central and South South, and honestly do not deviate much from what we see in the list). I also excluded Lagos, which is a multicultural bed of different groups and not representative of the strength of each region.

Okay then:

SW
2. Osun 10.90%
4. Ekiti 12.90%
12. Ogun 26.10%
14. Ondo 27.90%
17. Oyo 29.40%

SE

3. Anambra 11.20%
6. Imo 19.80%
7. Abia 21.00%
15. Enugu 28.80%
21. Ebonyi 56.00%

My thoughts....

Osun is only marginally less poor than Anambra (11.2-10.9=.03% difference).

Other SE states and SW states occupy the top lists in equal succession. Look again folks!

The only exception to this is Ebonyi which has a poverty rate comparable to the North. Abysmal, but still....

If you take the simple average of all the states' poverty rate for each region but disregard their populations (which looks like what the OP did in his original thread) you would think that the SW is the least poor. This is just because of the drag that we see in Ebonyi.

HOWEVER.

A weighed average of all the states (taking into account their populations) is a better representative of the poverty rate for each region going by this list. Ebonyi is the least populated state in the SE. Discount Lagos which is a multicultural city and you will see that the SW and SE actually may have similar poverty rates.

I recalculated the poverty rate taking account the populations of all the states. I am basing this on the 2006 census as we don't have any other indicators to go by. If there are more recent numbers I am still certain that calculating the results would yield around the same conclusions.

The real calculations:

SW Population Poverty Rate Population in Poverty
2. Osun 3,423,535.00 10.90% 373,165.32
4. Ekiti 2,384,212.00 12.90% 307,563.35
12. Ogun 3,728,098.00 26.10% 973,033.58
14. Ondo 3,441,024.00 27.90% 960,045.70
17. Oyo 5,591,589.00 29.40% 1,643,927.17
Total 18,568,458.00 4,257,735.10
Poverty rate of SW (4,257,735/18,568,458) 23%

SE Population Poverty Rate Population in Poverty
3. Anambra 4,182,032.00 11.20% 468,387.58
6. Imo 3,934,899.00 19.80% 779,110.00
7. Abia 2,833,999.00 21.00% 595,139.79
15. Enugu 3,257,298.00 28.80% 938,101.82
21. Ebonyi 2,173,501.00 56.00% 1,217,160.56
16,381,729.00 3,997,899.76
Poverty rate of SE (3,997,900/16,381,729) 24%

Now....can these two regions finally shut da feck up and worry about the myriad of problems facing the entire country??

This Idiot must be an Igbo

80% of people living in Lagos are Yorubas but this idiot decided to leave Lagos out of his list so as to pave way for his God forsaken region to match up with South West.

It's like taking London away from English people simply cos the city is cosmopolitan. The same thing applicable to Edinburgh and Glasgow which belong to Scottish.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by GentleToks(m): 11:49pm On Jul 02, 2015
baby124:
Lagos is not SW because of the geographic blah blah nonsense. What are you saying? If it was not a flourishing state in the SW, will people want to live there. When you are creating or measuring anything LAgos is SW, don't delude yourself. Who owns and runs the economy? Your argument makes absolutely no sense, and this thread is extremely stu*pid

The OP is freaking useless and worthless

How could you take Lagos state out of your analysis when 80% of days population are Yorubas?

He intentionally took Lagos state out of South West so as to pave way for south east to measure up wt SW.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 12:42am On Jul 03, 2015
TRUTHTOPOWER:

I have been reading this thread and I am quite amused how young Nigerians debate issues of poverty with glory. Your equation 1.5 = 1 is the most fascinating. The question is are you guys quite convinced about your assertions or it is all about who blinks first. Next time when you want others to give you benefit of the doubt avoid arguing with figures. You will see that your argument will move people and at the end we can all unwind over a cup of cold
cherry. cheers

Where did I say that 1%=1.5%?

The objections get even more petty each time my mentions from this thread is updated.

Ridiculous!
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by TRUTHTOPOWER: 8:21am On Jul 03, 2015
Lovesdaisied:

Where did I say that 1%=1.5%?

The objections get even more petty each time my mentions from this thread is updated.

Ridiculous!

Good job. I hope the hungering are satisfied by your statistics.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by tonytony208(m): 3:59pm On Jul 03, 2015
jcross19:
okay are you happy

Yeah, especially now that you have agreed that your dad is worse than a common street dog.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by jcross19: 4:09pm On Jul 03, 2015
tonytony208:

Yeah, especially now that you have agreed that your dad is worse than a common street dog.
that prove to me that you are bastard ask your mum who is your real father mr gay. Because if you have a real father you will know the value of father. And if you ever quote me , you quote curse in your life immediately.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by tonytony208(m): 5:21pm On Jul 03, 2015
jcross19:
that prove to me that i am a bastard. I asked my mum who my real father is, but she couldnt respond because more than 7 almanjiri soldiers ffucked my mum and that led to my pregnancy. Because of the everlasting curse following me, my life is now possessed by the spirit of sodom and gomorrah and as a result i am now a gay. Because if i have a real father, my life wont be as useless as it is now. And as it is now, curses and destruction shall follow me all the days of my life. My case is hopeless.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by jcross19: 7:13pm On Jul 03, 2015
tonytony208:

you are blessed son of a b.itch cursed from the womb.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Ritchiee: 8:07pm On Jul 03, 2015
scholes0:

This is how the production of consumer goods in Nigeria looks like at the moment.
30% Lagos/Ogun produced (in Massive sprawling industrial estates spanning both states)
55% Imported
15% = Rest of Nigeria.....

You are wasting my precious time.. Dumbo.
Don't mind the illiterate...
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by tonytony208(m): 12:40am On Jul 04, 2015
jcross19:
my mum is a bit.ch. I am therefore a CURSED son of a bit.ch. this curse following me about actually started from my mum's womb. Do not forget that my mum was gang-raped, which led to my illicit basta.rd pregnancy.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by jcross19: 8:20pm On Jul 04, 2015
[quote author=tonytony208 post=35458499][/quote]the person that utter my post is doom and as you uttering my posts , your joy will be utter to bitterness , try it again and witness tsunami in your life.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by tonytony208(m): 10:48pm On Jul 04, 2015
jcross19:
i am a useless person and i am doomed for ever. My mother was gang-rapped and this brought a curse on me from my birth till date. I am a bastard and bitterness will forever be part of my useless life. My life is useless and what is next is for me to commit suicide. Shame on me and shame on my prostitute mother!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Edo 2016: Don’t Sell Your Votes, Ogiemwonyi Tells APC Delegates / Senators To Contribute N300k Each For IDPs & Rehabilitation Of North-East / NUPENG, PENGASSAN Back FG On Fuel Sale Suspension, Border Residents Fume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.