Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,985 members, 7,952,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:17 AM

Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley (4579 Views)

Exclusive:real Reason France Supported Biafra During Nigerian Civil War / Fr Mbaka - I Never Supported Biafra / We Never Supported Saraki's Emergence As Senate President:pdp Senators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 03, 2015
A certain ideology holds thus: 'if you cannot beat them, join them'. It has been proven right from time that those of the Southern region of Nigeria especially the Igbos, Ibibios, Ijaws etc are naturally decisive, tough and proud. Infact, this explains why the Igbos knew no king and the Ibibios had no clearly organized leadership until the late 19th century when both ethnic groups were forced to answer to one man in their various communities. The British masters dealt a blow on them when they introduced the warrant chieftaincy system into Ibibio and Igbo land, since they could not easily capture the people as they did in the North. It was the toughness and pride of Ibibios that warranted the late Chief Udo Umana of Aka Offot to refuse bowing to British troops which consequently saw to his death at the hands of Major Brooks (of which Brooks street in Uyo is named after).

In a more recent occasion, the height of decisiveness and toughness, caused the Igbos to lead other southerners in a civil war against the Federal Republic of Nigeria in 1967 (Biafran/Nigerian war). The war, the aftermath and recent developments, are what inspires this piece.

In a bid to tell an objective story, the late literary gem, Chinua Achebe published a book on Biafran history some months before he died. Achebe took time to explain the causes of the Nigerian Civil War and more importantly, why the republic of Biafra deserved to be. Unfortunately, with all the genuine reasons, Gen. Yakubu Gowon had a filled day when he finally thwarted all attempts to successfully secede from the Federal Republic of Nigeria. However, the Republic of Biafra did not totally succeed.

It must be known that some people of Akwa Ibom (Ibibio origin were also an integral part of Col. Chukwuemeka Ojukwu's Biafran quest. In virtually all aspects of the Biafran struggle, at least one or two Ibibio man could be found. From the Biafran military to the Biafran diplomatic mission, the federal government of Biafra, especially in the Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) of the Republic of Biafra; there were Ibibios who stood as key players.

Two sensitive questions would then be asked; what was the relationship between Akwa Ibom (Ibibio) as a part, and the then Biafran Republic as a whole? Again, what is/would be the stand of Akwa Ibom State presently in the unending-looking quest for a new country. As insignificant as it may sound, the unnoticed smoke of the Biafran group, MASSOB and other minor groups have given rise to a developing threat to Nigeria's sovereignty in the South Eastern States. With the wake of Radio Biafra, London (RBL) and Radio Biafra, Enugu, the position of Nigeria Communication Commission (NCC) on the latter is unclear.

[b]Regarding the question of Biafra – Akwa Ibom relation before and during the war, no record acknowledges that either Ibibio Union or the then Cross River State, hand outrightly sent or permitted anybody from the region to represent its interest in any capacity in the Biafran government. [/b]However, the Ibibios in the Biafran military were partly converts from the Nigerian military and partly inexperienced civilians who were forced to serve the secessionists army. Others in the Biafran agencies found themselves there following their connections with the Igbos before the crisis.

In this wise, it is fair to hold that there was no official or political relationship between Ibibios and Biafra, hence, betrayal was imminent.

On the second question, the national conference had first given a clue by striking out the issue of Nigeria's breakup, upholding the 1914 Lugard pact. On the contrary, Biafran crusaders are not discouraged by the confab veto, but moved ahead. On Thursday last week, a Biafran group attempted to take over a media outfit owned by the Nigerian government and such seems to be getting close to the verge, an unlikely act of Biafran ancestors. One major cause of Nigeria-Biafran crisis was the Alo Ibiri crude oil in Delta State. Col. Ojukwu and company probably hoped to divide and rule so as to reap the benefit of oil business and that was another platform of relationship between Igbos and non Igbo Biafrans in oil producing Delta and other States.

Officially, the Akwa Ibom State Government is not presently part of the Biafran quest, but one Nigeria. Governor Akpabio made it clear months back during the remembrance event of departed heroes of the civil war. This disclaimer could be a bid to drive away the Igbo States. But like it happened in the land of the rising sun (as Biafra is informally known), there was no official representative sent for the interest of the Ibibios, yet some Ibibios were part of the fight against the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Infact, it could be said that a good number of Ibibios whose names are inscribed on the cenotaph at the Ibom Hall ground, were Biafran agents.

Presently, the security crisis in Nigeria which is almost an exact replica of Nigeria under Yakubu Gowon, has given room for sentiments to thrive. This could be seen in accusations and counter accusations and in the management of the crisis. Often times, some Igbo people would first consider the number of dead victims of bomb blast who are of Igbo origin. On the other hand, some northerners would make inciting statements seemingly against the south and this keeps fuelling the quest for the division of the country. As earlier noted, Igbos are proud set of people who value their unity and sustainability than other things. It is on this ground that the Biafran crusaders seek a country pride and otherwise. But in as much as the crude oil sentiment and trade relation is also imbibed by many, the link between Akwa Ibom and the agitating Biafra, might never be cut out. Here, wisdom has to be applied.

On the whole, while it is near impossibility to achieve a one-ethnic-group country, it is obvious that Akwa Ibom's stand on Nigeria's secession will have effect on the Biafran quest. Moreso, the growing sentiment of a new country could as well affect Ibibio's relation with their Igbo neighbours, when considering diversity in interest. To this end, peace should be the watchword among all groups, since the primary aim of the struggle is about having a peaceful environment.

Also in the course of the struggle, let Ojukwu's mistakes not be repeated, especially acts against each other (Akwa Ibom and Igbo). But the choice of either Nigeria or Biafra must be carefully handled, so to avert a second civil war. God bless Nigeria!

4 Likes

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 03, 2015
I beat the guy below me who just wanted to quickly type only "a"
Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Ofeakwu(m): 1:50pm On Jul 03, 2015
A
Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Demmzy15(m): 1:51pm On Jul 03, 2015
Better!
Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Emekamex(m): 1:52pm On Jul 03, 2015
What is it with all these Ibibio-Biafra threads today? This is the 3rd one today.

3 Likes

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by 1bunne4lif(m): 1:54pm On Jul 03, 2015
I'm here to read comments
Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jul 03, 2015
ilovelikes:
I beat the guy below me who just wanted to quickly type only "a"

wait till INTROVERT catches you. sad
Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 03, 2015
shachris:

wait till INTROVERT catches you. sad

Who is introvert?

1 Like

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by dedollarman(m): 1:58pm On Jul 03, 2015
What is all this Ibibio not supporting Biafra if they still want to remain in Nigerian is their choice no body is falsing any tribe in participation in biafra case close

3 Likes

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by cjrane: 1:59pm On Jul 03, 2015
"When it comes to BIAFRA, the Yorubas and Hausa/Fulanis are the WORST hypocrites.

They bitterly hate the Igbos and indeed the southern minorities and would want them to leave Lagos etc and go stay in their own country!

But in contradiction to their true feelings, they don't want Biafra because they want to perpetuate their right to collect the lion share of the oil resources sourced from the same peoples land, using the bogus criteria they foisted on the country called Nigeria.

Without oil in Igboland and Southern minorities part of Nigeria, Yoruba and Hausa/Fulani would have long seceded from Nigeria. FACT!

I know just like me, many of our people are not 100% convinced Biafra is the answer, while many others already are.

Therefore, we should agitate for a UN sponsored referendum on the Biafra issue .
Northern Ireland fought the British for 30 years for the independence of Northern Ireland, but the referendum proved that majority of the people wanted to stay in the UK. Likewise, the South Sudan's referendum proved majority of South Sudanese wanted to be in their own country.

Therefore, a United Nations sponsored referendum should be the demand to see if majority of our people support independence or to stay in Nigeria."- Oremi22 NLander

5 Likes

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by warrior01: 1:59pm On Jul 03, 2015
Lol..... @ emergency columnist that doesn't even know the history of the former Eastern region and the Eastern assembly. Abeg, let me cross my lovely legs and enjoy this ignorance show. Oya Op, tell us more
Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 03, 2015
warrior01:
Lol..... @ emergency columnist that doesn't even know the history of the former Eastern region and the Eastern assembly. Abeg, let me cross my lovely legs and enjoy this ignorance show. Oya Op, tell us more

the history is different from supporting the madness called Biafra.

Let's hear the history from you professor. And if you have documents proving that Ibibio unions or government of old cross River supported Biafra,
do us a favour and bring it on.

If not, shut it.

7 Likes

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Leopardd(m): 2:06pm On Jul 03, 2015
shachris:

the history is different from supporting the madness called Biafra.

Let's hear the history from you professor. And if you have documents proving that Ibibio unions or government of old cross River supported Biafra,
do us a favour and bring it on.

If not, shut it.

Where are u from?

1 Like

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by cjrane: 2:07pm On Jul 03, 2015
"When it comes to BIAFRA, the Yorubas and Hausa/Fulanis are the WORST hypocrites.

They bitterly hate the Igbos and indeed the southern minorities and would want them to leave Lagos etc and go stay in their own country!

But in contradiction to their true feelings, they don't want Biafra because they want to perpetuate their right to collect the lion share of the oil resources sourced from the same peoples land, using the bogus criteria they foisted on the country called Nigeria.

Without oil in Igboland and Southern minorities part of Nigeria, Yoruba and Hausa/Fulani would have long seceded from Nigeria. FACT!

I know just like me, many of our people are not 100% convinced Biafra is the answer, while many others already are.

Therefore, we should agitate for a UN sponsored referendum on the Biafra issue ...
Northern Ireland fought the British for 30 years for the independence of Northern Ireland, but the referendum proved that majority of the people wanted to stay in the UK. Likewise, the South Sudan's referendum proved majority of South Sudanese wanted to be in their own country.

Therefore, a United Nations sponsored referendum should be the demand to see if majority of our people support independence or to stay in Nigeria."- Oremi22 NLander

5 Likes

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jul 03, 2015
Leopardd:

Where are u from?

dumb question.
Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by saintneo(m): 2:10pm On Jul 03, 2015
The author of this post doesn't have to distance himself from the Biafra topic. Also he shouldn't make it look like Biafra is an Igbo agenda. I feel pained about this; as an Igbo man I loved the Biafra of the past, but we are in Nigeria, I have to love Nigeria. Making the Radio Biafra nonsense an Igbo agenda is tribalistic.

To me, the current Biafra agitation by Nnamdi Kanu is what I call brainwashing of the masses. The Nigerian government can fight this silly propaganda by deploying their own broadcast targeted at countering all the nonsense emanating from Radio Biafra.

Scotland wanted a referendum, the UK government worked to prove that Scotland stood a better chance being part of UK than being independent. The UK government defeated the Scotland seccessionist in the referendum and everyone has accepted to be part of the UK.

What stops the FG from showing the people they are involved on the developing of the country.

Good stuff on Dreaming Nigeria, enjoy reading.

1 Like

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Leopardd(m): 2:11pm On Jul 03, 2015
shachris:

dumb question.

Where, I know u are pro-APC and Okorocha lover, but don't know when u turned being Ibibio.
Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jul 03, 2015
Leopardd:

Where, I know u are pro-APC and Okorocha lover, but don't know when u turned being Ibibio.

that article was written by an ibibio man. His name is on the title. You can google him.

4 Likes

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Leopardd(m): 2:16pm On Jul 03, 2015
shachris:

that article was written by an ibibio man. His name is on the title. You can google him.

I know u are anti-Biafra reading ur convo on that 30th May with one guy like that.

So when did u start digging up articles to spite your brothers, just cus u don't believe in the same struggle?

U sick broh!

After everything, u should know blood is way thicker than water and politics of this world, shouldn't bring issues within brodas?

1 Like

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jul 03, 2015
Leopardd:

I know u are anti-Biafra reading ur convo on that 30th May with one guy like that.

So when did u start digging up articles to spite your brothers, just cus u don't believe in the same struggle?

U sick broh!

After everything, u should know blood is way thicker than water and politics of this world, shouldn't bring issues within brodas?

because the struggle is senseless and should be nipped in the bud. My tribe would be better in a One Nigeria than in a Biafra.

You are the sick one, man.

5 Likes

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Macelliot(m): 2:20pm On Jul 03, 2015
I wanna ask a question...

Question: Who piloted the affairs of Biafra after Ojukwu?

Answer: Gen. Phillip Effiong, an Ibibio Man, who was the vice-president from 1967-1969 later became the Second president of Biafra from 1969-1970, when Ojukwu went to exile....

You can't change history...

OP, You are a delusionist!
Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by dekdek: 2:24pm On Jul 03, 2015
Not only Ibibio but also Enag, Ikwerres, Urohbos, Ijaws etc. ONly fools wi;; be interested in a fraud

5 Likes

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 03, 2015
Macelliot:
I wanna ask a question...

Question: Who piloted the affairs of Biafra after Ojukwu?

Answer: Gen. Phillip Effiong, an Ibibio Man, who was the vice-president from 1967-1969 later became the Second president of Biafra from 1969-1970, when Ojukwu went to exile....

The OP is a delusionist!

i guess you didn't read this part

However, the Ibibios in the Biafran military were partly converts from the Nigerian military and partly inexperienced civilians who were forced to serve the secessionists army. Others in the Biafran agencies found themselves there following their connections with the Igbos before the crisis.

The ibibios as a Union never supported Biafra. Do You know we had individual American soldiers. Victor Banjo was Yoruba and he fought for Biafra. Does that make yorubas support Biafra?

8 Likes

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by B69U: 2:28pm On Jul 03, 2015
YORUBAS SHOULD GO AND DIE, WE IGBOS LOVE THE IBIBIOS VERY MUCH AND DEY ARE OUR BROTHERS.

UR CHEAP SOCIAL MEDIA PROPAGANDA THREAD ,WONT CHANGE WAT IS ON GROUND.

EVERYDAY A YORUBA MAN WILL DISGUISE TO FIGHT AGAINST BIAFRA.

4 Likes

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Leopardd(m): 2:30pm On Jul 03, 2015
shachris:

because the struggle is senseless and should be nipped in the bud. My tribe would be better in a One Nigeria than in a Biafra.

Lol, look at your one Nigeria, mehn guy, have u traveled out before?
We worthless before nations, we useless mehn, no one takes us serious.

One Nigeria is fake. Go get treatment.

3 Likes

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 03, 2015
Leopardd:

Lol, look at your one Nigeria, mehn guy, have u traveled out before?
We worthless before nations, we useless mehn, no one takes us serious.

One Nigeria is fake. Go get treatment.

it's obvious that you are a traveled ignoramus. Did you know how big igbos were before the war? We were in Nigeria and we were the envy of the entire world.

If landmass was to determine wealth, Sudan should have being the richest in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 03, 2015
B69U:
YORUBAS SHOULD GO AND DIE, WE IGBOS LOVE THE IBIBIOS VERY MUCH AND DEY ARE OUR BROTHERS.

UR CHEAP SOCIAL MEDIA PROPAGANDA THREAD ,WONT CHANGE WAT IS ON GROUND.

EVERYDAY A YORUBA MAN WILL DISGUISE TO FIGHT AGAINST BIAFRA.

How many of your sisters have you given to the ibibos to marry? Why do you call him 'onye mmohu'? Is it now that you are seeking thier help for your senseless biafra that you remember that they are your brothers?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by B69U: 2:36pm On Jul 03, 2015
shachris(m): 2:08pm
Where are u from?

Leopardd:
dumb question.

shachris:

because the struggle is senseless and should be nipped in the bud. My YORUBA tribe would be better in a One Nigeria than in a Biafra.

YORUBAS MAKE ME SICK

1 Like

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by BiafranMan: 2:37pm On Jul 03, 2015
shachris:

How many of your sisters have you given to the ibibos to marry? Why do you call him 'onye mmohu'? Is it now that you are seeking thier help for your senseless biafra that you remember that they are your brothers?

How many of hausa's and yoruba's marry ibibios? FOR YOUR INFO. We are not seeking your help. How many are you people in number By the way?

1 Like

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Leopardd(m): 2:38pm On Jul 03, 2015
shachris:

it's obvious that you are a traveled ignoramus. Did you know how big igbos were before the war? We were in Nigeria and we were the envy of the entire world.

If landmass was to determine wealth, Sudan should have being the richest in Africa.

Why have u not become envy of the world since the war.

You think you know something, u know jack.

Keep playing ostrich.

Watch what ur highly revered Sarduana said about you Igbos wey love Nigeria pass the drunkard and his harlot girlfriend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y1Zpk4DrlA

1 Like

Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 03, 2015
saintneo:
The author of this post doesn't have to distance himself from the Biafra topic. Also he shouldn't make it look like Biafra is an Igbo agenda. I feel pained about this; as an Igbo man I loved the Biafra of the past, but we are in Nigeria, I have to love Nigeria. Making the Radio Biafra nonsense an Igbo agenda is tribalistic.

To me, the current Biafra agitation by Nnamdi Kanu is what I call brainwashing of the masses. The Nigerian government can fight this silly propaganda by deploying their own broadcast targeted at countering all the nonsense emanating from Radio Biafra.

Scotland wanted a referendum, the UK government worked to prove that Scotland stood a better chance being part of UK than being independent. The UK government defeated the Scotland seccessionist in the referendum and everyone has accepted to be part of the UK.

What stops the FG from showing the people they are involved on the developing of the country.

Good stuff on Dreaming Nigeria, enjoy reading.

but the people have refused to come to the drawing table. The see the FG as the enemy and have refused to come close. How would the FG get to know their genuine agitations?
Re: Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley by dekdek: 2:40pm On Jul 03, 2015
"Ibo play wayo" grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

An Ungrateful Yinka Odumakin / Breaking News!! Avengers Order Yorubas, Hausas Out Of Region / Yoruba And Hausafulani Form Cultural Alliance Festival In Agege(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.