Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,496 members, 7,812,532 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? (77077 Views)

"A Honour" Or "An Honour" Which Is Grammatically Correct??? / My Name Is "OR" My Names Are; Which Is More Correct? / As I Said Vs. Like I Said: Which Is Grammatically Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by MsVenza(f): 12:49am On Jul 05, 2015
"My name is" is most correct. There is no such thing as "My names are". Quote me anywhere. It irritates me when people murder grammar like this.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Originalsly: 1:23am On Jul 05, 2015
chopnuckle:
Very correct! U don't say your 'names are....' When introducing yourself. Maybe it's the reason why many people keep attending interviews!!!
True...introduce yourself by saying my names are at an interview in a reputable. company .... all interest in you would disappear despite your pile of degrees....then you'll be shouting they don't like you because of your tribe or religion or they are all ritualists!

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by adeadebayor: 2:32am On Jul 05, 2015
A name has lastname and firstname. For instance a name like Tuned Adeolu is a single name refering to one person. Tune is lastname and Adeolu is firstname. It is grammatically incorrect to say my names are because the two names still refer to one person. Exception is you are given more than one names, eg I was named Richard, Tomiwa, oluwa etc and none is my lastname hence I can say my names are...... I hope this clarify this.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Fenomenom(m): 3:14am On Jul 05, 2015
MizMyColi:

well, here's my reasoning...

In a sane world, no body has just one name.
The family is the smallest unit of human interactions and an emotional centre of sorts.

We'd all be lost if we had no family to identify with, which explains the reasons a sane human would normally crave for a sense of belonging....

Now this family you belong to has a name, that is first and foremost, who you are.

Which is why you don't hear people like Khloe Kardashian saying, "I am a Khloe"...but you can hear her saying "I am a Kardashian"
There's something about pedigree that speaks volumes of the stuff you're made of.

In other words, your surname and your name are dependent on each other and actually function as ONE when it comes to introducing yourself in a formal/semi-formal setting.

So, I'd rather go with my name IS Margaret Thatcher.
As far as identifying me is concerned, none is complete without the other.
I am Margaret and I'm a Thatcher.
In other words, my name is Margaret Thatcher.

"My names are" should, or, can be used when you need to make known your different names/titles, which to a very large extent are independent of the other.

For Example;

His name is Jehovah Elshaddai.

And

His names are Jehovah Elshaddai, Jehovah Tsidkenu, Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Nissi.....
Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

Ma sister U go school eeee....Collect one cold lacasera for my head make u take quench your thirst... grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Lovechyld101(m): 5:09am On Jul 05, 2015
Too me both are correct depending on the context you use it.
My Name is james
My name is James Bond
But if you are to use are !! You would be listing your names!! So an 'S' as to follow the name, (names)
MY names are James Bond oluwavandam
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by jackpot(f): 5:50am On Jul 05, 2015
MizMyColi:

The family is the smallest unit of human interactions and an emotional centre of sorts.

We'd all be lost if we had no family to identify with, which explains the reasons a sane human would normally crave for a sense of belonging....

Now this family you belong to has a name, that is first and foremost, who you are.

Which is why you don't hear people like Khloe Kardashian saying, "I am a Khloe"...but you can hear her saying "I am a Kardashian"
There's something about pedigree that speaks volumes of the stuff you're made of.

In other words, your surname and your name are dependent on each other and actually function as ONE when it comes to introducing yourself in a formal/semi-formal setting.

"My names are" should, or, can be used when you need to make known your different names/titles, which to a very large extent are independent of the other.

For Example;

And

His names are Jehovah Elshaddai, Jehovah Tsidkenu, Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Nissi.....
Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

My thinking exactly. You nailed it. . .bull's eye!

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by mayorisaac: 6:39am On Jul 05, 2015
Please inform all admission seekers you know, that another set of POST-UTME Past Questions has just been released on the site www.lumenforum..com now. Share this post.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Deejaygold(m): 7:23am On Jul 05, 2015
Pineapp:
My "name is"=singular.

My "names are"=plural..

Both phrases are correct depending on the situation.

No, ℓ disagree with you bro. My Names aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ Goodluck Ebele Jonathan ᶤ̲ˢ very wrong. †hε correct one ᶤ̲ˢ My Name ᶤ̲ˢ ... Even though you have 1 millon names, it's still only you that bears †hε name which ᶤ̲ˢ singular so my Name ᶤ̲ˢ. †hε correct answer
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by gbengaAIG: 7:38am On Jul 05, 2015
Both of them are correct becos my Name is. Just a singular while my Name are is Plural.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by docseun: 7:54am On Jul 05, 2015
"My names are" is totally wrong...If people read more literature and raised the level of their vocabulary they would realise this. "Is" is used in the "present" context not "singular" . So since your name is constant(for most people anyways) you should always use "is"

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by ohbejay(m): 8:03am On Jul 05, 2015
A PH.D(Dr) holder, a lecturer in one University had once asked me when I went for my questionnaire, "What ar ur names" then I replied him "My name is Kolawole John Wale."

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by agentzakky(m): 11:32am On Jul 05, 2015
You have only one name but with 3 or 4 different words. Therefore "my name is" is the correct answer.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Shaw007(m): 12:01pm On Jul 05, 2015
MizMyColi:

For Example;

And

Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

you must be an English major!! I am shaw and I'm a 007, My Name is shaw 007 cool
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Dhammyjhay(m): 8:23pm On Jul 20, 2015
Jeez... What the heck is 'my names are' ...
Look at it this way...
Your full_name still refers to you... Itz used to identify just you i.e one person (singular)... So 'my name is' is actually the correct phrase...
Take for example the botanical name of maize which is 'zea mayz' ...
Now, you don't say 'the botanical names of maize are zea mayz' because 'zea mayz' still refers to a maize...
Oya applause moi...

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by shankie: 9:17am On Aug 14, 2015
the correct one is my name is, cos its only u
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by forandy(m): 4:33pm On Aug 29, 2015
MizMyColi:

For Example;

And

Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

Walahi ehn...you know how to sabi something!  

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by itstpia8: 6:16pm On Apr 11, 2016
Both imo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by DRISKLEF(m): 8:44pm On Mar 17, 2017
freeage7:
Let's look at the rules of concord, I mean, agreement. When two things form a unit. Eg. Rice and stew is my best food. Why not rice and stew are my best food? The concord rule says rice and stew form a Unit. Just like bread and butter, they also form a unit. By this rule my names form a single entity, a singular me. So I go with, my name is Tunji Agboola.

I stand to be corrected oh. No disrespect please.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by broisrael(m): 7:10am On Jun 08, 2020
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by broisrael(m): 7:10am On Jun 08, 2020

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Finally, Ciroma Chukwuma Adekunle Passed WAEC. The Change Is Real / Nigerian Universities With Best Teaching Hospitals / See Ghana’s Oldest University View That Got People Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.