Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,398 members, 7,812,171 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? (77059 Views)

"A Honour" Or "An Honour" Which Is Grammatically Correct??? / My Name Is "OR" My Names Are; Which Is More Correct? / As I Said Vs. Like I Said: Which Is Grammatically Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by 1stola: 2:17pm On Jul 04, 2015
Djicemob:
My Name Is....

My Names Are...

This has caused serious arguments between me and friends couple of times so i decided to bring it to the house.English Language Gurus and Linguists,what are your take on the above phrases,which is better and grammatically correct when introducing oneself.Hopefully we can all learn a thing or two from your inputs.

Olodo oshi
You go school at all
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by 1stola: 2:20pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

well, here's my reasoning...

In a sane world, no body has just one name.
The family is the smallest unit of human interactions and an emotional centre of sorts.

We'd all be lost if we had no family to identify with, which explains the reasons a sane human would normally crave for a sense of belonging....

Now this family you belong to has a name, that is first and foremost, who you are.

Which is why you don't hear people like Khloe Kardashian saying, "I am a Khloe"...but you can hear her saying "I am a Kardashian"
There's something about pedigree that speaks volumes of the stuff you're made of.

In other words, your surname and your name are dependent on each other and actually function as ONE when it comes to introducing yourself in a formal/semi-formal setting.

So, I'd rather go with my name IS Margaret Thatcher.
As far as identifying me is concerned, none is complete without the other.
I am Margaret and I'm a Thatcher.
In other words, my name is Margaret Thatcher.

"My names are" should, or, can be used when you need to make known your different names/titles, which to a very large extent are independent of the other.

For Example;

His name is Jehovah Elshaddai.

And

His names are Jehovah Elshaddai, Jehovah Tsidkenu, Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Nissi.....
Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

Still, "my names are" is grammatically wrong.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by jimngam(m): 2:29pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

The family is the smallest unit of human interactions and an emotional centre of sorts.

We'd all be lost if we had no family to identify with, which explains the reasons a sane human would normally crave for a sense of belonging....

Now this family you belong to has a name, that is first and foremost, who you are.

Which is why you don't hear people like Khloe Kardashian saying, "I am a Khloe"...but you can hear her saying "I am a Kardashian"
There's something about pedigree that speaks volumes of the stuff you're made of.

In other words, your surname and your name are dependent on each other and actually function as ONE when it comes to introducing yourself in a formal/semi-formal setting.

"My names are" should, or, can be used when you need to make known your different names/titles, which to a very large extent are independent of the other.

For Example;

And

His names are Jehovah Elshaddai, Jehovah Tsidkenu, Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Nissi.....
Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

Was thrilled by previous comments...... this apt.

My names are is wrong..

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by omoelu1(m): 2:31pm On Jul 04, 2015
Shortyy:

iranu grin
abasha
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Kanmyos(m): 2:31pm On Jul 04, 2015
In my own view.
My name is....which is singular, even with your surname is grammatically correct....coz dt refers to a soul, a body.
buh in case of my names are.....i think it is nt as acceptable as the first one....
#Kanmyos
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Emmaville(m): 2:39pm On Jul 04, 2015
Smh
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by templeinyou(m): 2:44pm On Jul 04, 2015
Pineapp:
My "name is"=singular.

My "names are"=plural..

Both phrases are correct depending on the situation.

Pls. in any situation at all, it remains "my name is"
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Boller: 2:45pm On Jul 04, 2015
To save yourself from any embarrassment always introduce yourself as follow;
My name is Goodluck
I am Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.
I often heard some people saying my name is Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, is your title also part of your name?
I stand to be corrected. I no go school but am always careful.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by 2rez: 2:47pm On Jul 04, 2015
templeinyou:

Xactly, name itself is a compound now which means it goes with a singular verb "is". My opinion though
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by EvenInFreetown: 2:48pm On Jul 04, 2015
freeage7:

Please, how is sheep an uncountable noun? I understand the plural of sheep is sheep, that It is an uncountable noun, I need explanation.
freeage7:

Please, how is sheep an uncountable noun? I understand the plural of sheep is sheep, that It is an uncountable noun, I need explanation.
Thank u for that observation.Sorry,what i meant was:if one goat is goat and 2 are goats,why is 2 sheep sheep and not sheeps. that is because grammar doesn't follow logic.It smtimes appears illogical. Thanks 4 drawing my attention to that!!.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jul 04, 2015
Both of them are correct. For example - My name is John. My other names are John, James and Jake.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by YSA06(m): 2:50pm On Jul 04, 2015
The former is correct. For one person, it's "my name is ojo kehinde" even if u av middle name it's talking about one person's name.

The numbers of the name isn't accounted for in this context as "my names are ojo kehinde" isn't correct rather our names are ojo, kehinde, john etc for more than one person.

It happened when my NYSC state cordinator corrected a corps member during my 2007 service yr in Jos plateau state, I took moments to do thorough research about which is correct.

Go to google, ask yahoo, edu-english etc they all proved it.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Olushauneddy(m): 2:51pm On Jul 04, 2015
My name is Edward Richard Townsend......A collective noun of the First, Middle and Other names which describes my identity as one...In the case of " My names are " This contradicts one's identity. You can't identity yourself with multiple names of plural nouns.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 04, 2015
YSA06:
The former is correct. For one person, it's "my name is ojo kehinde" even if u av middle name it's talking about one person's name.

The numbers of the name isn't accounted for in this context as "my names are ojo kehinde" isn't correct rather our names are ojo, kehinde, john etc for more than one person.

It happened when my NYSC state cordinator corrected a corps member during my 2007 service yr in Jos plateau state, I took moments to do thorough research about which is correct.

Go to google, ask yahoo, edu-english etc they all proved it.
Both of them are grammatically correct. It depends on how they are used in a sentence.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by freedom96: 2:58pm On Jul 04, 2015
gmus:

friend in grammer u never ever use d aprostrophe and s to show possessn. u use its. it's is contraction for it is just as don't is to do not.

EDIT: Generally, aposrophe and s is used to show possessn for nouns but dy are used to show contractn for pronouns.
Are u just in so much hurry to show off or what? undecided
Read my post again,is that not what I just explained?Na wa o.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

For Example;

And

Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

Na wa oohhh
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Kazrem(m): 3:05pm On Jul 04, 2015
The only person I will reckon with as far as this is concern is jarus . Egbon please come to my aid. What I only observe is that during the election collation, the collation officers identified their theirselves as "my name is", and they reel out 2 or more names and since then I had concluded"my name is" is grammatically correct.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by estagirl(f): 3:07pm On Jul 04, 2015
There is nothing like my names are. Your name, no mattter the numbers, refers to your identity. Only u which is singular. so my name is, is correct.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by degame2468(m): 3:09pm On Jul 04, 2015
The right one is my name is
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jul 04, 2015
templeinyou:

It is wrong in a situation of giving your other names. It is wrong to say my other names is John, Jude and James.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by irich21(m): 3:18pm On Jul 04, 2015
Pls note we don't have names but name that's why you won't be asked what are your names but what is your name, it's your choice to say my name is Goodluck or my name is Goodluck Ebele Jon is one name.
Hence my name is, is the right one not my names are...
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 04, 2015
degame2468:
The right one is my name is
That is a grammatical convention in English language but it doesn't make the other one wrong in a sentence. It depends on the condition they are used to make reference or references.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by teeboiiyorsy(m): 3:23pm On Jul 04, 2015
My name IS....cos d name is 4 a single person
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by alawi5k: 3:24pm On Jul 04, 2015
gulfer:
What about 'My Names was' ? angry angry angry angry
Femi Kayode
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Brugo(m): 3:29pm On Jul 04, 2015
afanide:
Oyibo Wey we learn English from self Never say 'MY NAMES ARE'.

Na we Africans want form our own Dictionary. The Phrase itself sounds 'ODD'

I tire o.

I hate hearing "my names are..." when a person introduces himself/herself. It's annoying.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 04, 2015
Kazrem:
The only person I will reckon with as far as this is concern is jarus . Egbon please come to my aid. What I only observe is that during the election collation, the collation officers identified their theirselves as "my name is", and they reel out 2 or more names and since then I had concluded"my name is" is grammatically correct.

I'm not an authority here, but I think I have heard authorities say it is "My name is" no matter the number of names you're calling.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by gmus: 3:32pm On Jul 04, 2015
freedom96:
Are u just in so much hurry to show off or what? undecided
Read my post again,is that not what I just explained?Na wa o.

Ooops!.u are quite right. Apologies.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by dammieco(m): 3:35pm On Jul 04, 2015
Djicemob:
My Name Is....

My Names Are...

This has caused serious arguments between me and friends couple of times so i decided to bring it to the house.English Language Gurus and Linguists,what are your take on the above phrases,which is better and grammatically correct when introducing oneself.Hopefully we can all learn a thing or two from your inputs.

both are actually wrong. The correct tense is "My name na..."

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by fruitfulBROTHER(m): 3:38pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

For Example;

And

Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

THIS SHOULD BE THE END OF DISCUSSION

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by freedom96: 3:38pm On Jul 04, 2015
gmus:

Ooops!.u are quite right. Apologies.
smiley it's like u have watched the movie spartacus @emboldened
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 04, 2015
teeboiiyorsy:
My name IS....cos d name is 4 a single person
It doesn't work like that. It can be for a single person and carries a plural form. Like a child been given different names by both parents, relation or relative, friends of the family, etc. In that case when trying to mention them you will have to use the plural form of the name and list them. As it is stated in some of my earlier posts.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 04, 2015
Please, when you are going to use the plural form of name you should make sure to put them in a list form.For example, my other names are, Ayo Stone, Ayo Johnson, Olu, Fashola.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Finally, Ciroma Chukwuma Adekunle Passed WAEC. The Change Is Real / Nigerian Universities With Best Teaching Hospitals / See Ghana’s Oldest University View That Got People Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.