Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,410 members, 7,812,215 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? (77062 Views)

"A Honour" Or "An Honour" Which Is Grammatically Correct??? / My Name Is "OR" My Names Are; Which Is More Correct? / As I Said Vs. Like I Said: Which Is Grammatically Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by gmus: 3:45pm On Jul 04, 2015
freedom96:
smiley it's like u have watched the movie spartacus @emboldened

grin
freedom96:
smiley it's like u have watched the movie spartacus @emboldened
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by menxer: 3:47pm On Jul 04, 2015
I think "Goodluck Ebele Buhari" is a compound noun and the singular form of the phrase is most appropriate.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by gentlegenius(m): 3:55pm On Jul 04, 2015
Answer according to the question. If you are asked: What IS your name? Answer: My name IS....
But if you are asked what ARE your names? Answer: My names ARE....
Note: WHAT ARE YOUR NAMES is an informal question. May be the person already knows your name, surname etc but still wants to know your other (personal) names like your native name, English name, nickname etc.
WHAT IS YOUR NAME is a formal questions which demands your complete identity (Goodluck Ebele Jonathan or at least Goodluck Jonathan).
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by darlenese(f): 3:56pm On Jul 04, 2015
There no such word as "my names are "
No matter the number of names you have, just say my name is.......
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by timota(m): 3:57pm On Jul 04, 2015
The correct answer is this if a man has two sons and the first one answers john james mark and the second answers peter james mark. If someone ask any of them of their name he should answer my name is because each of them has one name but if the first one answers john uche mark and the other answers peter rotimi mark if someone ask any of them of his name he should answer my names are because he has two names
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by onunwa21(m): 4:00pm On Jul 04, 2015
My name is very correct
My names are very correct

It depends wen using den
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Wynnah(m): 4:01pm On Jul 04, 2015
What ARE the name(S) of the Car?... Mercedes Benz.
What IS the name of the Car?.... Mercedes Benz.
you choose for yourself!

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by kcthepundit(m): 4:01pm On Jul 04, 2015
Djicemob:
My Name Is....

My Names Are...

This has caused serious arguments between me and friends couple of times so i decided to bring it to the house.English Language Gurus and Linguists,what are your take on the above phrases,which is better and grammatically correct when introducing oneself.Hopefully we can all learn a thing or two from your inputs.

My name is Wole,
My names are Wole Soyinka.
Like English tutors taught us, the verb must correspond with subject. Is with Wole (singular)
Are with Wole Soyinka(plural)
However, Wole Soyinka appears to be the same person and therefore a persons name is a collection of his identity.
You can't be just Wole, you ought to have a family identity which is unique and distinguishes you from other families in your clan/community.
That's why, when you are asked to fill a form, you have a column where you are asked to fill in your name; starting from your surname to first name and others.
The names you fill in its entirety is your name as a person.

Aham bu Wole Soyinka
Suna na Wole Soyinka
(yoruba add yours)
My name is Wole Soyinka
Je m'appelle Wole Soyinka

None seem to have the verb, "are".
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by laykhorn(m): 4:24pm On Jul 04, 2015
Shortyy:
iranu grin
Madam! Be nice nao. You could have kept it cool without being vulgar.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by pat358(m): 4:24pm On Jul 04, 2015
My name is, Meg Jacobs. This is correct. It is about an individual's identity. What makes your identity is your 1st name & surname.

My names are Meg Jacobs is completely wrong
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by pat358(m): 4:25pm On Jul 04, 2015
pat358:
My name is, Meg Jacobs. This is correct. It is about an individual's identity. What makes your identity is your 1st name & surname.

My names are Meg Jacobs is completely wrong
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Reference(m): 4:34pm On Jul 04, 2015
How many names do you have. Just one. So...
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nyela(m): 4:36pm On Jul 04, 2015
I quote "listen to yourself "the correct WORD IS ,MY NAME iS", and u are very good in english. Yet u refer to a clause as a word. Again both expressions are correct. it's interesting to see a lot of self professed "grammarians" here. some cant tell the difference between a word ,clause or phrase. LOLOLOLOLOL . the fact you pluralise "names" means the word "are" must follow. so when u choose to say "my names" (as u may very well do to indicate u wish to state more than one name) then "are" follows. also because the usage of "name" allows for multiple names to be referred to as one (as in a full name) it is also correct to say "my name is". For godsake has anyone filled a form that say "SURNAME" and in anothe r space provides "OTHER NAMES" . there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH BOTH EXPRESSIONS. if u dont understand why an expression is used simply keep quiet and not simply say "I am good in english " without a meaningful grammatical analysis. "
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 04, 2015
This is so simple, Names are compound nouns (Always in singular form) that don't attract a plural verb "Are"....Can you say "There are so many waters? or "There are so many sands? No, because they are compound nouns that always go with singular verbs.

The correct form is "My name is John Samuel Smith". There is nothing like [s]"My names are John Samuel Smith"[/s]. It is a grammatical blunder that's punishable by the law of grammar grin grin

Use this link and learn common sense folks http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/subjectVerbAgree.asp
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by oladimeji09(m): 4:58pm On Jul 04, 2015
Shortyy:

iranu grin
abasa grin
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nyela(m): 5:10pm On Jul 04, 2015
"listen to yourself; " the correct WORD IS MY NAME IS", and u are very good in english. yet u refer to a clause as a word. Again, both expressions are correct. its interesting to see a lot of self professed "grammarians" here. some cant tell the difference between a word ,clause or phrase. LOLOLOLOLOL. the fact you pluralise "names" means the word "are" must follow. so when u choose to say "my names" (as u may very well do to indicate u wish to state more than one name) then "are" follows. also because the usage of "name" allows for multiple names to be referred to as one (as in a full name) it is also correct to say "my name is". For godsake has anyone filled a form that say "SURNAME" and in anothe space provides "OTHER NAMES" . there isABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH BOTH EXPRESSIONS. if u dont understand why an expression is used simply keep quiet and not simply say "i am good in english " without a meaningful grammatical analysis. "
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by gdguy: 5:12pm On Jul 04, 2015
The correct version is: my name is... followed by your string of names because the names belong to a person who is a singular noun. In an effort to be grammatically correct, some people are fond of saying, my names are... which is ungrammatical. But when referring to more than one persons, it is however correct to say, our names are... In English language, certain things that appear as plurals may be followed by a singular verb when they are viewed as belonging together such as: Bread and butter is a good meal. Cheers!
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by MizMyColi(f): 5:13pm On Jul 04, 2015
grin
dearpreye:

Na wa oohhh
What I do naa
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by freedom96: 5:22pm On Jul 04, 2015
gmus:

grin

apologies dominus cheesy
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by boborosky(m): 5:24pm On Jul 04, 2015
Sanchez01:

Unfortunately, both of you are wrong. There is no such thing as "my names are...". Here lemme explain;

1. The question is "What IS your NAME?": Note, the question did not come with the plural BrE+ form which in this regard would be "ARE". Hence, the question is directed to a singular form or entity (which is one person) and the answer would be singular as well. Therefore "My name is Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is most correct".

2. "Name" is a Noun but one's name is singular: This is quite complicated but simple at the same time. A name is an identity by which something is known or described as.

So, when we say "Names", we refer to several others but this is the tricky part; regardless of how many names you bear or carry, you are ONE person. Hence,, we refer to you as a singular entity and not belonging to the plurality class. Hermaphrodites who are even known to possess both male and female features are not pluralized.

Bearing the above in mind, it would imply that the several "NAMES" you have all belong to "ONE" person which is YOU. This is why it is proper to say "My name is Goodluck Ebele Jonathan".

NB: Goodluck+Ebele+Jonathan are all names but they belong to ONE person, therefore it cannot be pluralized during introduction.

Finally, instead of saying "My names are" just say "My full name is..."
E.g;

Customs inspector: Would you please state your name?

Passenger: I'm Goodluck Jonathan

Inspector: Excuse me, sir. Would you please state your full name? / Would you please state your name in full?

Passenger: Sorry! My full name is Goodluck Ebele Jonathan

May you live long.

Name is a collective noun. Therefore, it is singular!

I get irked each time I hear people say: my names are.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by daresimon(m): 5:27pm On Jul 04, 2015
The correct one is my name is...

There is nothing like my names are....cos all the names are assumed to refer to one individual.

Its like a phrasal noun and the verb that should follow it should be in the singular.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by lusciouslex: 5:32pm On Jul 04, 2015
Djicemob:
My Name Is....

My Names Are...

This has caused serious arguments between me and friends couple of times so i decided to bring it to the house.English Language Gurus and Linguists,what are your take on the above phrases,which is better and grammatically correct when introducing oneself.Hopefully we can all learn a thing or two from your inputs.

My name is: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. My names are: Jonah, GEJ, clueless. Savvy? References: Catch up in English, Students Companion, English mirror, WWE wrestling( my name is Paul Heyman).
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:
grin
What I do naa

You did nothing. Just appreciated how you write with the end in mind!

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by MizMyColi(f): 5:56pm On Jul 04, 2015
dearpreye:

You did nothing. Just appreciated your how you write the end in mind!

smileysmileysmiley
See me blushing anyhow.
Tenksmiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by teeastute(m): 6:03pm On Jul 04, 2015
My name is... since nobody has one name, so it's collective.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jul 04, 2015
boborosky:

May you live long.

Name is a collective noun. Therefore, it is singular!

I get irked each time I hear people say: my names are.

You don't have to because it is grammatically correct in a plural form. I say my names are Jude, Jake and John. Is there anything wrong with that?
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 04, 2015
for instance you don't say: my name is kenyan dude.... you say: my name's kenyan dude.... notice the 'is' is joined with the 'my name'. e.g hello guys my name's kemi john, my name's Boniface jagwa... UNDERSTOOD?
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jul 04, 2015
kenyandude:
for instance you don't say: my name is kenyan dude.... you say: my name's kenyan dude.... notice the 'is' is joined with the 'my name'. e.g hello guys my name's kemi john, my name's Boniface jagwa... UNDERSTOOD?
grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by ExInferis(m): 6:22pm On Jul 04, 2015
debolly:

Exactly.....its concord..... "is" agrees with singular while "are" goes with plural.

"my names are.... " is a nigerian invention by smart-arse academics and lawyers wanting to sound important.

your 'name' is both your first and all other names as a singular noun. whether you say "my name is goodluck", or you say "my name is goodluck ebele jonathan", it's still a singular descriptive of you. you've thousands of hairs, but you always say "my hair", not "my hairs" when referring to the hair on your head.

if, however, your name is both bello usman and wasiu emeka, then you can say "my names are bello usman AND wasiu emeka", correctly identifying the various ways you're identified.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by olutunde12(m): 6:44pm On Jul 04, 2015
umar745:
Answers plz. I also wanna know
My name is.
I knew this in SS1.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by VickyRotex(f): 6:48pm On Jul 04, 2015
IYANGBALI:
No matter how many names you have,it is always "My name is iyangbali seun eleko1 vickyrotex mukina2 rokiatu okowunmi abedo animashaun"

Na only you get all these names? Wahala wa ooo cheesy angry

shocked shocked Animasaun lipsrsealed undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Finally, Ciroma Chukwuma Adekunle Passed WAEC. The Change Is Real / Nigerian Universities With Best Teaching Hospitals / See Ghana’s Oldest University View That Got People Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.