Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,627 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist (4622 Views)

Have You Received Your National Identity Card? / South-South Governors Want Corruption Charges Dropped To Stop Pipeline Attacks / Iweala’s Multi-million Dollar Hospital In Abuja Doesn't Exist - Paul C Nwabuikwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Ikengawo: 12:06pm On Jul 07, 2015
Yoruba people don't call themselves Southwest. They say they're from the Southwest but they understand it's a geographical location and not an ethnic identity. There are no Yoruba cultural groups called "Southwest" anything because Southwest isn't a culture.
The same applies for Ndigbo. We don't call ourselves 'Southeast' among each other. We may say we're from there but we know that at least 30% of the Igbo race is in the south south.

But I always hear south south people (or yoruba people posing as south south people) saying they're 'south south' as an ethnic identity. No you're not. You're Bini, Annag, Ijaw, Ibibio, Ogoni, Efik, Ika, etc. Get in tune with your real identity if you're not already, it's disgraceful to see yourself as something IBB and co created as opposed to what your fathers and forefathers did.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Misternas89(m): 12:07pm On Jul 07, 2015
undecided
Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by ANBAKO: 12:20pm On Jul 07, 2015
You dey vex ooo
Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Moheat(m): 1:27pm On Jul 07, 2015
Stop the hate! Just because we refused to identify with Biafra doesn't make us people without identify. We no be Igbo na by force?

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Super1Star: 1:31pm On Jul 07, 2015
South East is only for Igbos, the same way SW is to yorubas.

SS has diverse group of people ranging from Ijaws, Efiks,Ibibios, Itshekirsi, Esan Edinburgh, Urhobo, Annag, Ogoni, Ikweres, even Igbos.

Hence the appellation SS people.

18 Likes

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jul 07, 2015
Ikengawo:
Yoruba people don't call themselves Southwest. They say they're from the Southwest but they understand it's a geographical location and not an ethnic identity. There are no Yoruba cultural groups called "Southwest" anything because Southwest isn't a culture.
The same applies for Ndigbo. We don't call ourselves 'Southeast' among each other. We may say we're from there but we know that at least 30% of the Igbo race is in the south south.

But I always hear south south people (or yoruba people posing as south south people) saying they're 'south south' as an ethnic identity. No you're not. You're Bini, Annag, Ijaw, Ibibio, Ogoni, Efik, Ika, etc. Get in tune with your real identity if you're not already, it's disgraceful to see yourself as something IBB and co created as opposed to what your fathers and forefathers did.
if one decides not to make tribal posts, stupid ibos like you will force one to. Must you mention yoruba in your post? So, any SS person that comments against a call for biafra is automatically yoruba? You mean no SSer has access to the internet to call against biafra?

Must you always include them in biafra?

They are several nations in SS. They are not ibos. They don't belong in biafra.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 1:34pm On Jul 07, 2015
Super1star, I sight you o!

I really love the work you and co are doing, keeping the chest biters at bay.

5 Likes

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 1:38pm On Jul 07, 2015
NDPVF, NORMALITY and co, you guys are welcome.
Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by coputa(m): 1:44pm On Jul 07, 2015
Ikengawo:

The minority ethnic groups within the south south has their own clearly defined identity and cultural boundaries.Your postulation lacks substance

7 Likes

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Ikengawo: 4:40pm On Jul 07, 2015
coputa:
The minority ethnic groups within the south south has their own clearly defined identity and cultural boundaries.Your postulation lacks substance

I dont doubt that for one minute, but many make calculations based on the idea of a 'south south'. For example during the election there was the assumption that GEJ would sweep 'the south south'. Though he won, he strangely got less votes than he did in the Southeast. This is because each South South tribe wasn't treated as a separate ethnic entity while Igbos were. He made moves to appeal to Igbos but when it came to the other tribes in the SS the moves were made to appeal to 'The South South'.

2 Likes

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Ikengawo: 4:41pm On Jul 07, 2015
juicee1:
if one decides not to make tribal posts, stupid ibos like you will force one to. Must you mention yoruba in your post? So, any SS person that comments against a call for biafra is automatically yoruba? You mean no SSer has access to the internet to call against biafra?

Must you always include them in biafra?

They are several nations in SS. They are not ibos. They don't belong in biafra.
If you didn't need igbos mentioning you to be important, you wouldn't be in this thread looking for my attention.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Ikengawo: 4:47pm On Jul 07, 2015
Moheat:
Stop the hate! Just because we refused to identify with Biafra doesn't make us people without identify. We no be Igbo na by force?
^yoruba

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Ikengawo: 4:49pm On Jul 07, 2015
Super1Star:
South East is only for Igbos, the same way SW is to yorubas.

SS has diverse group of people ranging from Ijaws, Efiks,Ibibios, Itshekirsi, Esan Edinburgh, Urhobo, Annag, Ogoni, Ikweres, even Igbos.

Hence the appellation SS people.

why not just say Ibibio then? As in 'i'm Ibibio'. I hear a lot of people say things that have no meaning like 'I'm delta' or 'I'm South South'. The next question is 'where in delta and where in south south' because the first answer has no meaning. If i tell someone I'm Igbo it usually ends there because i've told them something unless they are igbo then in that case I can be more specific. I've never heard a yoruba man say he's 'southwest'.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by IKWEREBIAFRAN: 4:52pm On Jul 07, 2015
Ikengawo:

Bleep south south bro, they created the south south for disunity. I'm an ikwerre man and not a south southerner.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by tpiander: 4:53pm On Jul 07, 2015
stop calling your folks Yoruba unless you really want them to be Yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Super1Star: 4:54pm On Jul 07, 2015
Ikengawo:

why not just say Ibibio then? As in 'i'm Ibibio'. I hear a lot of people say things that have no meaning like 'I'm delta' or 'I'm South South'. The next question is 'where in delta and where in south south' because the first answer has no meaning. If i tell someone I'm Igbo it usually ends there because i've told them something unless they are igbo then in that case I can be more specific. I've never heard a yoruba man say he's 'southwest'.
Is it that difficult for you o comprehend?

Yes, a yoruba man can say I am from SW because it is a mono-ethnic region. An igbo person can say I am from SE because it is a mono-ethnic region.

A SS and even a Northerner can not say that because because those regions are multi-ethnic in composition.

In relation to ethnicity specifically, you cannot say you are South South. It is an aberration. You are either Ijaw, Ibibio, Efik, Urhobo, Esan, Edo, itshekiri, Annang or Ogoni, or Ikwerre etc. Others can refer to all of them as SS people.

Some may hide under the illusion of ''I am (from) South South'' if they feel you might not know there ethnicity.

3 Likes

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Osakah24(m): 4:58pm On Jul 07, 2015
If Nigeria should break up,I wonder how many countries will come out of this south south.they hate themselves more than they hate strangers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Super1Star: 4:59pm On Jul 07, 2015
IKWEREBIAFRAN:
Bleep south south bro, they created the south south for disunity. I'm an ikwerre man and not a south southerner.

Who created South South? Was it not your people that clamoured for it? The campaign for the creation of SS geopolitical zone was led by Alex Ekwueme.

5 Likes

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Beremx(f): 5:01pm On Jul 07, 2015
Ikengawo you are wrong!
They call themselves Niger-Deltans and not South-Southerners.
Abeg go and do your research well!

4 Likes

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by disumusa: 5:01pm On Jul 07, 2015
Ikengawo:

If you didn't need igbos mentioning you to be important, you wouldn't be in this thread looking for my attention.
this is serious IBO's are looking for people to associate or gum body with.

4 Likes

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Ikengawo: 5:03pm On Jul 07, 2015
Super1Star:

Yes, a yoruba man can say I am from SW because it is a mono-ethnic region.

An igbo person can say I am from SE because it is a mono-ethnic region.

A SS and even a Northerner can not say that because because those regions are multi-ethnic in composition.

But I as an igbo man understand it's stupid to say i'm from 'southeast'. Can i speak southeast? The group is called Ohaneze Ndigbo, not Ohaneze Southeast.

Northerners also say 'Im from the North' but biko they're stupid people. A Fulani man, because they're the ones up there with marginally more sense will say they're Fulani unless they have an agenda that makes saying they're Northern more advantageous. Middle belters will say they're from 'middle belt', many will even hide the specific group and a lot of their kids don't know.

When i was in the US a lot of 'south south' and 'delta' kids didn't know their specific tribe unless they had gone to Nigeria to came from there. The ones born here just knew they were 'Nigerian' and 'From Niger Delta'. So northerners, middle belters and SS people have them mentality because I'm only speaking to SS people because I believe they're more reasonable. The rest are retarded and say what they say because of it.

A lot of Bini people say they're 'Edo' which is true to an extent, but it's also the reason their kids are very unlikely to know their language. I believe your culture starts a rapid death once you start calling yourself something that can't be linguistically defined. If i raise my child to believe he's 'Delta' and not 'Urobo' he'll think something as foolish as pidgin is his native tongue. SS people are at a particular disadvantage because they don't have the numbers to be lackadaisical about their language. If i want to learn Igbo or Yoruba I can do so without stepping foot in Igbo or Yoruba land because they're numerous, wide spread, and their identities are strong. If you tell an Ogoni kid in Lagos his 'Rivers' for his whole life, where will he learn his language? How?

6 Likes

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jul 07, 2015
Ikengawo:

Well, I have said it here before that there is nothing like SS in all honesty. The term was created just to hem in the Igbos.

I am writing this with all due respect to people from the 'SS.'

Igboland is also bigger than the Nigerian politically defined SE, time will tell.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by IKWEREBIAFRAN: 5:04pm On Jul 07, 2015
Super1Star:

Who created South South? Was it not your people that clamoured for it? The campaign for the creation of SS geopolitical zone was led by Alex Ekwueme.
hmmm, yorubas and lies are friends?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Ikengawo: 5:06pm On Jul 07, 2015
disumusa:
this is serious IBO's are looking for people to associate or gum body with.
From your name I can tell you're from the North and I'm surprised you can type.
Being that you can type and don't have polio, I want to ask you, in your inbred life to explain which 'northern group' isn't a worthless 'gumbody'?

Are you not calling yourselves Hausa-Fulani? Are you not begging every other tribe to stay in 'Nigeria' because you can't feed yourself?
Is your budget not 100% Niger Delta oil?
The hausa kingdoms of Kano arre ruled by Fulani, while actual hausa people are begging. Fulani, who aren't Nigerian' are crawling all over Nigeria begging raping and killing. But their not gum body?

What about your worthless names? Can you show me somebody from your worthless region with a fully indigenous name?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Super1Star: 5:08pm On Jul 07, 2015
IKWEREBIAFRAN:

Are you this ignorant? if you do not know something, you will read up on it.

Alek Ekwueme led the campaign for the creation of the SS geopolitical zone at the national confab organised by Abacha in 1996. This was to balance the political equation off the north , with north having 3 and south having 3 too.

NL is not a lecture theatre. So, read up.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by southWASTE: 5:10pm On Jul 07, 2015
south south is just a mischievous political coinage by the dubious leaders

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by biafransoul: 5:11pm On Jul 07, 2015
Super1Star:

Yes, a yoruba man can say I am from SW because it is a mono-ethnic region. An igbo person can say I am from SE because it is a mono-ethnic region.

In relation to ethnicity specifically, you cannot say you are South South. It is an aberration. You are either Ijaw, Ibibio, Efik, Urhobo, Esan, Edo, itshekiri, Annang or Ogoni, or Ikwerre etc. Others can refer to all of them as SS people.

Some may hide under the illusion of ''I am (from) South South'' if they feel you might not know there ethnicity.

The way you guys exhibit your ignorance with bold faces on public forums is amazing. Who told you the SE is mono-ethnic in composition? You guys really need to travel and get educated about Nigeria. Thank me later

2 Likes

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Ikengawo: 5:12pm On Jul 07, 2015
IKWEREBIAFRAN:
maka chineke, look how they found themselves in this conversation.
One of the things used to confuse 'South south' people is the idea that they have to speak for 'south south'. that's like driving a car with 8 wheels heading in different directions.

Like with Biafra for example. If someone says 'the south south' is a part of biafra they're a fool. A man from Oyigbo or Asaba are going to have a different relation to the idea of Biafra than an Edo, Esan, or Ogoni man who are totally different peoples. This is fine and everyone needs to except it but part of what's making it hard for SS to plan it's self is the idea that Ijaw and Urhobo are the same thing.

It's the same issue with Nigeria. as an Igbo man I want my homeland to look like America. An Hausa man wants to have s#x with his cousins and marry 13 of them when they start puberty. I can't say I have the same goals and outlook as this person so when someone like Buhari comes to speak for Nigeria and calls Boko Haram his brothers (which they are), how can I as an Igbo man say he's speaking for me?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by atlwireles: 5:14pm On Jul 07, 2015
Southsouth is a Nigeria invented political zone, and we like it as is. No Nation in the SS zone calls it a tribe. People give it up, enough of this nonsense. angry angry angry angry

4 Likes

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Super1Star: 5:15pm On Jul 07, 2015
Ikengawo:

But I as an igbo man understand it's stupid to say i'm from 'southeast'. Can i speak southeast? The group is called Ohaneze Ndigbo, not Ohaneze Southeast.

Northerners also say 'Im from the North' but biko they're stupid people. A Fulani man, because they're the ones up there with marginally more sense will say they're Fulani unless they have an agenda that makes saying they're Northern more advantageous. Middle belters will say they're from 'middle belt', many will even hide the specific group and a lot of their kids don't know.

When i was in the US a lot of 'south south' and 'delta' kids didn't know their specific tribe unless they had gone to Nigeria to came from there. The ones born here just knew they were 'Nigerian' and 'From Niger Delta'. So northerners, middle belters and SS people have them mentality because I'm only speaking to SS people because I believe they're more reasonable. The rest are retarded and say what they say because of it.

A lot of Bini people say they're 'Edo' which is true to an extent, but it's also the reason their kids are very unlikely to know their language. I believe your culture starts a rapid death once you start calling yourself something that can't be linguistically defined. If i raise my child to believe he's 'Delta' and not 'Urobo' he'll think something as foolish as pidgin is his native tongue. SS people are at a particular disadvantage because they don't have the numbers to be lackadaisical about their language. If i want to learn Igbo or Yoruba I can do so without stepping foot in Igbo or Yoruba land because they're numerous, wide spread, and their identities are strong. If you tell an Ogoni kid in Lagos his 'Rivers' for his whole life, where will he learn his language? How?

Yeah I quite understand.

For a group of people like yorubas, they are too proud of their culture, language and heritage to be saying ''I am from South West''.

Moreover, the yoruba nation transcends SW. the kingdom has foot in NC part of Nigeria, Benin Republic and part of Togo, Cuba, Brazil etc.

4 Likes

Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by IKWEREBIAFRAN: 5:16pm On Jul 07, 2015
Super1Star:

Are you this ignorant? if you do not know something, you will read up on it.

Alek Ekwueme led the campaign for the creation of the SS geopolitical zone at the national confab organised by Abacha in 1996. This was to balance the political equation off the north , with north having 3 and south having 3 too.

NL is not a lecture theatre. So, read up.
hmmmm, still doing it blatantly.
Re: South South: Learn Your Identity, South South Doesn't Exist by Super1Star: 5:18pm On Jul 07, 2015
biafransoul:

The way you guys exhibit your ignorance with bold faces on public forums is amazing. Who told you the SE is mono-ethnic in composition? You guys really need to travel and get educated about Nigeria. Thank me later

Lol. What is this ignoramus saying?

How many ethnic groups are in Ebonyi, Imo, Anambra, Enugu and Abia? List them out for the world to see.

We are not talking of dialects of a language here. We are talking of ethnicity.

Waiting for your answer?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Proof INEC And APC Are Working Together In Rivers (pic) / Creativity: Aba Invents Alternative Means Of Cooking Plus A Local Blender - Pics / 2019: Olawepo-hashim Vows To Deliver Prosperous Modern Economy, As PT Flags Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.