Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,463 members, 7,819,688 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... (27110 Views)

All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage / He Does Not Satisfy Me, Doesn’t Last A Minute In Bed —wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jul 10, 2015
freecocoa:
Why does Prince not want a court wedding? He's up to something, if I were Amaka, I'll stick to my guns.
I was at d ikoyi registry today...see pple. oyibo women with their Nigerian husbands. Courts don't even do much for marriages in case of divorce and churches don't either. Pple are just ignorant... if I'm prince I will use speed to do the registry and u can ask for express. Within a week! Bam...off u go!

Sticking to ur guns means what on a guy with a pool?

Kai rain didn't allow us take much photographs outside.
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by Neplusultra(f): 7:30pm On Jul 10, 2015
efemenaslectura:
her fear is not to become a victim of stories that touch the soul when they start brining out their colour grin
Haba! If am right, dey dated for 4years na unless she doesnt trust him or his family dat much, tho anytin can still happen but dat shudnt stop dem!
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by freecocoa(f): 7:31pm On Jul 10, 2015
Richman15:
And if I were Prince, I'll show U the exit Door. I can't marry a materially concious and unsubmissive woman.
I could never date a man like you to start with, let alone marriage.

1 Like

Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by CSTR2: 7:32pm On Jul 10, 2015
angelz:
court wedding is important. Amaka should not settle for less. It has nothing to do with money but a lot to do with polygamy. if there's no court wedding, prince can marry another wife since the marriage is not legal. except they sign the marriage certificate in the church.
polygamy is legal in nigeria.
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jul 10, 2015
Cutehector:
well, whr u come from, is very important, so ur native home, I.e ur kinsmen, gotta be very aware dat thr daughter is getn married... And must gv their blessings... Its been d oldest form of marriage eva... Even befor d advent of christain mariage...

Lol... Where I come from... Do you know where I come from...grin. Btw what is the repercussion if I choose not to?
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jul 10, 2015
angelz:
court wedding is important. Amaka should not settle for less. It has nothing to do with money but a lot to do with polygamy. if there's no court wedding, prince can marry another wife since the marriage is not legal. except they sign the marriage certificate in the church.
Many men marry more if they want... most have side chicks...this is Nigeria. No court or church or documents can stop a Nigerian husband in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by CSTR2: 7:35pm On Jul 10, 2015
freecocoa:
How much do you think it costs to get wedded in a court? Do you even know the importance of court wedding?

She doesn't have to be afraid of anything, she's just taking the right step, what is the man afraid of by refusing?

It's really saddening to read a woman calling another woman with an opinion manipulative and overbearing, so she's supposed to just go with whatever the fiance wants? It's not even like the court wedding will be in her favour alone.
What will the man gain in a court wedding?

1 Like

Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by Bluffly: 7:35pm On Jul 10, 2015
suggyspic:
She wants court marriage while he wants traditional marriage. This resulted to argument between Prince and Amaka who have been dating for 5yrs. Prince have propose to Amaka and the traditional knocking of door have been done. In the process of planning for the marriage, prince have insisted that he would only do the traditional marriage and later the church marriage, but Amaka insisted that she prefers a court marriage and later the traditional marriage. Amaka went further by telling prince its either the court marriage or no marriage at all, stating that court marriage would proof to her that Prince truely loves her and wants to protect her further with him. Prince on the other hand insisted that he would do the court marriage when he deems it fit. Amaka have threaten to break up the relationship. Prince is the only son in a family of four and is doing very well. Marriage preparation is 80% ready.

Should Prince concede to her or maintain his stand?
Is Amaka's stance right (using love as a yardstick to buttress her point)
do you smell any hidden agenda on the part of prince or Amaka.
In your candid opinion, do you think this marriage would work.

Nonsense. Court Marriage or no court marriage, there must be a government issued certificate. What is the lady worried about. She should worry about the church being an approved and authorized one to issue government marriage certificate and that settles it. Meaning they have to pass through marriage registry and complete the process, that's all. Marriage legalised
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by efemenaslectura: 7:37pm On Jul 10, 2015
Neplusultra:
Haba! If am right, dey dated for 4years na unless she doesnt trust him or his family dat much, tho anytin can still happen but dat shudnt stop dem!
you can't trust some men this days. They always bring out rude surprises besides if the guy gan doesn't have any skeleton in his cupboard why is he afraid of doing court marriage. I have a feeling he has hidden motives. It's just like someone threatening to call the cops to search my house. If I don't have anything illegal in my house why should I be scared of her threats. Something smells fishy with the guy

moreover this days a wise girl sees danger ahead and protects herself grin
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 10, 2015
Richman15:
And if I were Prince, I'll show U the exit Door. I can't marry a materially concious and unsubmissive woman.
freecocoa:
I could never date a man like you to start with, let alone marriage.
Richman15:

Smh! cheesy
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by chinenye80: 7:41pm On Jul 10, 2015
suggyspic:
She wants court marriage while he wants traditional marriage. This resulted to argument between Prince and Amaka who have been dating for 5yrs. Prince have propose to Amaka and the traditional knocking of door have been done. In the process of planning for the marriage, prince have insisted that he would only do the traditional marriage and later the church marriage, but Amaka insisted that she prefers a court marriage and later the traditional marriage. Amaka went further by telling prince its either the court marriage or no marriage at all, stating that court marriage would proof to her that Prince truely loves her and wants to protect her further with him. Prince on the other hand insisted that he would do the court marriage when he deems it fit. Amaka have threaten to break up the relationship. Prince is the only son in a family of four and is doing very well. Marriage preparation is 80% ready.

What is marriage without Traditional marriage? When the parents of the lady have not officially and spiritually handed over their daughter in question.

1 Like

Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by Chidoks(f): 7:42pm On Jul 10, 2015
SpeedyConnect:

See this girl o. Are you a law student?
But you only succeeded in stating only the formal requirements -- which cannot invalidate the marriage if one of them claims not to be aware of them-- and left the essential requirements such as age, prohibited degree of consanguinity, single status etc.

It's should be noted that there is no differrence between church marriage and court marriage, that's strictly speaking. What we have are just two forms of marriage. Customary and statutory( which encompasses court, church etc, remember court or church is just like the venue and different rules apply depending on the 'venue' chosen.).

Regarding church, the most important thing is that the marriage at chuch should comply with legal provisions lest it become a mere church blessing and of no legal effect.

point of note i am not a girl! i am a matured woman so do not address me as a girl
i am no a student .i graduated long ago.i wrote what i could remember without consulting any reference.we are here to profer solutions to domeone's problem.
if i missed out vital issues you could have easily added yours with or without mentioning me.
so back to topic you mentioned important issues like age.yes amaka age matters to .minimum age to contract a valid marriage should 18 .the thing is seek proper consel and you will definately get it right.whatever you do make sure your marriage is registered legally.

Dont have time now, would have written at length about this.
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by ideatoprince18(m): 7:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
[b][/b]d girl has a sinister agenda.....she is planning to divorce d man so that she can collect half of his property
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by Neplusultra(f): 7:45pm On Jul 10, 2015
efemenaslectura:
you can't trust some men this days. They always bring out rude surprises besides if the guy gan doesn't have any skeleton in his cupboard why is he afraid of doing court marriage. I have a feeling he has hidden motives. It's just like someone threatening to call the cops to search my house. If I don't have anything illegal in my house why should I be scared of her threats. Something smells fishy with the guy

moreover this days a wise girl sees danger ahead and protects herself grin
I read dat he's an only son and doing well too, culd dat be the reason why? Maybe she's scared she might not have a male child and the family will proffer polygamy,whicheva one it is sha its not a good sign dat they are already having disagreements when they've not yet started, if dat guy were my brother i wuldnt advice him to subscribe to dat! By the way, what were they doing for 4yrs? Culdnt they have sort dat out since?
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by freecocoa(f): 7:45pm On Jul 10, 2015
CSTR2:
What will the man gain in a court wedding?
He's legally married under the law, just like the woman.
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by Hallenjay: 7:46pm On Jul 10, 2015
In my opinion,D traditional wedding should be done follow by d court wedding, dat lady shouldn't start by giving his husband to be such a condition in issue like ds, it shows her mission is very different from dat of a true wife.... I somehow believe d dude is taking some careful step in order not too fall mugu... Tendency of him dropping d lady in near future is slight y d lady possess 50% probability of leaving him ... My opinion thou

1 Like 1 Share

Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by freecocoa(f): 7:47pm On Jul 10, 2015
ferdimako:

I was at d ikoyi registry today...see pple. oyibo women with their Nigerian husbands. Courts don't even do much for marriages in case of divorce and churches don't either. Pple are just ignorant... if I'm prince I will use speed to do the registry and u can ask for express. Within a week! Bam...off u go!

Sticking to ur guns means what on a guy with a pool?

Kai rain didn't allow us take much photographs outside.
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by CSTR2: 7:49pm On Jul 10, 2015
freecocoa:
He's legally married under the law, just like the woman.
There is no gain in that for the man.
The law recognize traditional marriage also.
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by bukster(f): 7:50pm On Jul 10, 2015
Amaka needs to stick to her what she said. I can't personally marry a guy that refuses to get a court marriage.
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by ayusco85(m): 7:51pm On Jul 10, 2015
suggyspic:

This amaka girl is crazy. Is she the man or the woman? Prince should stand his ground joor
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by efemenaslectura: 7:53pm On Jul 10, 2015
Neplusultra:
I read dat he's an only son and doing well too, culd dat be the reason why? Maybe she's scared she might not have a male child and the family will proffer polygamy,whicheva one it is sha its not a good sign dat they are already having disagreements when they've not yet started, if dat guy were my brother i wuldnt advice him to subscribe to dat! By the way, what were they doing for 4yrs? Culdnt they have sort dat out since?
I presume they ve been having sex and now reality has given them a little shocker.moreover its not only a man and his family that knows how to protect himself. A woman too knows how to. Who wants to enter another home unprotected against the wiles anyone wants to throw since in this part of the world if a woman doesn't empower herself legally educationally and financially she'll just be a foot mat to any man and his family
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by Excellent7(m): 7:53pm On Jul 10, 2015
I am just thinking how Oyibo has got (ensnared) "us" to be doing three marriages per couple while the do only one (most of the time)

@Topic
I think they should both take a walk from the relationship.
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by pythondjango(m): 7:53pm On Jul 10, 2015
mercylicious:

This made me smile. It is only a woman that can decide when she wants to get pregnant or not.

It reminds me of mixing contraceptive pills in centrum or vitamins c/supplement pack.
If she is smart, she won't be caught.
Sister mercy,hmmmm.
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by mechanics(m): 7:54pm On Jul 10, 2015
suggyspic:

I think they both have ulterior motive for their decision.
traditional marriage is often done dan court marriage, i believe Amaka has ulterior motive.
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by madeinnigeria: 7:55pm On Jul 10, 2015
I might not be right but why is the guy so so concerned about how or where or when they want to get married....He should let the girl enjoy her moment for christsake.. you are asking someone to marry you and you want to dictate how it's done again
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by freecocoa(f): 7:57pm On Jul 10, 2015
CSTR2:
There is no gain in that for the man.
The law recognize traditional marriage also.
I don't know that the laws of other countries recognise trad marriage. So court wedding favours only the woman(as insinuated by you)so please pray tell, how that is.
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 10, 2015
freecocoa:
Prince should follow her preference as she doesn't gain anything out of it. She doesn't even know...Nigerian system isn't meant to will everything to wives...ask Gbenga Obasanjo wife.

Men can still go into polygamy... not legal as d oath giver said but men still default.

Oyibo ladies are siphoning off the guys you are ditching.

1 Like

Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by Neplusultra(f): 7:59pm On Jul 10, 2015
efemenaslectura:
I presume they ve been having sex and now reality has given them a little shocker.moreover its not only a man and his family that knows how to protect himself. A woman too knows how to. Who wants to enter another home unprotected against the wiles anyone wants to throw
She's sending a negative vibe by insisting on a court wedding, they are ways to go about it, am sure the guy wuld understand.
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by efemenaslectura: 8:03pm On Jul 10, 2015
Neplusultra:
She's sending a negative vibe by insisting on a court wedding, they are ways to go about it, am sure the guy wuld understand.
the feeling is mutual. The guy too is acting so suspicious. How can a man who claims to love a woman not do anything to make her happy. Did she say go and bring your mother for sacrifice. It's just a darn court marriage duhh

1 Like

Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by freecocoa(f): 8:04pm On Jul 10, 2015
ferdimako:

Prince should follow her preference as she doesn't gain anything out of it. She doesn't even know...Nigerian system isn't meant to will everything to wives...ask Gbenga Obasanjo wife.

Men can still go into polygamy... not legal as d oath giver said but men still default.

Oyibo ladies are siphoning off the guys you are ditching.
So you think women want court wedding because they expect that everything be willed to them?

He can decide to take a 2nd wife all he wants, there just has to be a divorce first or the 2nd wife is not recognised by the law and he can be sued.

The system might be messed up, doesn't mean women shouldn't get their right.

2 Likes

Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by Chidoks(f): 8:05pm On Jul 10, 2015
SpeedyConnect:

See this girl o. Are you a law student?
But you only succeeded in stating only the formal requirements -- which cannot invalidate the marriage if one of them claims not to be aware of them-- and left the essential requirements such as age, prohibited degree of consanguinity, single status etc.

It's should be noted that there is no differrence between church marriage and court marriage, that's strictly speaking. What we have are just two forms of marriage. Customary and statutory( which encompasses court, church etc, remember court or church is just like the venue and different rules apply depending on the 'venue' chosen.).

Regarding church, the most important thing is that the marriage at chuch should comply with legal provisions lest it become a mere church blessing and of no legal effect.

Dont have time now, would have written at length about this.

note:i am not a girl.i am a matured woman.check my age please.
i am not a student.graduated years ago.i am not a laywer either.i was lending a helping hand to a person in need .apparently you have an appriciable knoweldge of family law but you should not down play my honest layman's advice.you should have added to what i said or said yours however you deem right.
back to topic,amaka just make sure you get proper guidiance from an expert.of course you csn contract a legally binding marriage in church if you take the right steps.cheers
Re: She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... by sweetgala(m): 8:05pm On Jul 10, 2015
zeb04:
court marriage is necessary especially in the eyes of the law.

traditionally marriage is also necessary especially in the eyes of the land and the hungry chief's with pot bellies. so both should never be compromised.

the only one that doesn't make sense to me is white wedding even some churches will not wed you till they see the court certificates.

I'll do, court , trad and white for you....

being the perv I am , I've been checking our birds on NL lately , and there are some good potentials

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Homosexuality And Its Adverse Effects On The Family / Any Girl That Is Getting Knacks At 15 Is Free To Get Married- Twitter User / 'You Are Heartless If You Upload Your Dead Friend Pics To Wish "RIP" - Lady Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.