Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 (43350 Views)

Saraki And Dino Melaye Visit Ibrahim Babangida In Minna,Pose With Him(pic) / Photo: General Obasanjo And Mrs Remi Obasanjo On Their Wedding Day In 1963 / General Murtala Mohammed's Burial And Corpse (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by Jowonloju(m): 10:27am On Jul 15, 2015
jiorhemen:

I am the OP, and I posted the pic. In fact I still have a collection of historical pics like this, including a rarely seen one, where IBB stood before Buhari saluting him. Please don't listen to anyone who says that IBB was Buhar's senior in 1983, it's a lie from those who don't know the truth. IBB was only senior to officers like Abacha, Gado Nasko, and Idiagbon in 1983. And even those ones were not his juniors, they were his course mates, just that IBB and Vatsa were promoted ahead of them. Even when he was president, his chief of defence staff, General Bali was his senior, he enlisted in 1961, even before Buhari. Tell anyone who says Buhari was captain during the civil war while IBB was major to spare you the trash. Both of them were young majors, just that Buhari got his major shortly before IBB. Then in the pic, IBB was a Lt. Col, Buhari was fill colonel. I also noticed a post where you said Buhari was also sworn in as governor in the same room, same day. Not at all, Buhari was sworn in as governor, but not in the same room on that day. In fact, he was not in that room. I have the video of the swearing in and address by General Murtala on that day

I like the picture, is revealing, please post the remaining.
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by namdo(m): 10:50am On Jul 15, 2015
they were too young to take on ruler-ship of a great country as complex as Naija. They should have just allowed democracy to thrive. We would have been served better.
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by Amazo: 11:09am On Jul 15, 2015
jiorhemen:
Former Head of state, General Murtala Mohammed in a handshake with Lt. Col. Ibrahim Babangida at the swearing in of the Supreme Military Council (SMC) in 1975. In the background is Lt. Col. Tunde Idiagbon.

It's said, 'A picture is worth a thousand words' ...and I see a man standing upright with a very firm handshake and another man leaning forward like he was begging for his hand not to be squeezed. I see resolute determination in one's eyes and wavering uncertainty in the eyes of the other. Now, had their identities been unknown and the uniform decors hidden, from this picture you would have to be stupïd not to assume Abacha was the General and Murtala his subordinate. Not surprised Abacha would later become the Head of State because he had it in him already, and not surprised Murtala was 'removed', as this photo already somewhat depicted the fate ahead of him. The strong must rule the weak becaussse...Mother Nature isn't stüpid!

#teamAlphaMales cool

1 Like

Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by davidebamidele: 11:10am On Jul 15, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Babangida remained a Brig-Gen, his rank when he became Chief of Army Staff, till August 1985, when he overthrew Buhari.

Even at that, 75 to 84 isn't enough time to hang Brig. Gen from Lt. Col......Area army kenan!
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by jiorhemen(m): 11:10am On Jul 15, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Obasanjo can't be wrong. In his book, My Command, he said Buhari was a Captain and Commanding Officer of 2 Battalion while Babangida was a Major and Commanding Officer 82 Battalion. His second in command who took over from him when he was shot in Uzuakoli was also a Major. He was Vasta.
I want you to give me the ranks of both officers from 1962 to 1985.

It was an error, not that OBJ did not know or was wrong, it was just a mistake. I also read that part you referred to. Babangida and Vatsa got promoted the same day to the next rank until they got to Major General. Buhari was always promoted ahead of Babangida until they both got to Major General. Both were majors during the civil war. Apart from the records in the Army secretariat which I am privy to, during the last presidential campaign in Minna, when General Buhari and APC visited IBB in his house in Minna, I was there live when General Babangida made reference to the fact that both of them were 'young majors during the war'. Then that aside, even if it happened that there was a time IBB was ahead of Buhari by rank before Buhari overtook (though it never happened), it is not an aberration. In the military, there are some occasions where a junior is promoted before his senior. It happens a lot. Lots of factors are responsible for this, but I can't start explaining that now. Even it is still happening till now. There was a time my brother was promoted ahead of a senior fighter pilot who instructed him in air combat training. However, this my brother's senior was later promoted and now occupies a bigger office than my brother who is actually his junior, but got promoted before him.
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by jiorhemen(m): 11:14am On Jul 15, 2015
Jowonloju:

I like the picture, is revealing, please post the remaining.

I will do that 'in the fullness of time' lol
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by MUSA1980: 11:18am On Jul 15, 2015
The chap standing of Babangida's left is late Idiagbon.
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by jiorhemen(m): 11:19am On Jul 15, 2015
Amazo:

It's said, 'A picture is worth a thousand words' ...and I see a man standing upright with a very firm handshake and another man leaning forward like he was begging for his hand not to be squeezed. I see resolute determination in one's eyes and wavering uncertainty in the eyes of the other. Now, had their identities been unknown and the uniform decors hidden, from this picture you would have to be stupïd not to assume Abacha was the General and Murtala his subordinate. Not surprised Abacha would later become the Head of State because he had it in him already, and not surprised Murtala was 'removed', as this photo already somewhat depicted the fate ahead of him. The strong must rule the weak becaussse...Mother Nature isn't stüpid!

#teamAlphaMales cool

Dear brother, standing upright and at alert before a senior officer is a sign of respect and reverence in the military. You dare not bend before a superior officer. If they were both civilians, then you would be correct. If Babangida did what Murtala did in the pic, hmmmm, only God knows what would happen subsequently
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by jiorhemen(m): 11:27am On Jul 15, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Babangida remained a Brig-Gen, his rank when he became Chief of Army Staff, till August 1985, when he overthrew Buhari.

My dear OrlandoOwoh, Babangida was not Brig-Gen in 1985 when he overthrew Buhari, Babangida became a brigadier in 1979 while Abacha attained that rank in 1980 (alongside Useni, Nasko, Magoro and some other of their peers). Again, Babangida became a Major General in March 1983 (promoted same day as Vatsa) while Abacha attained the rank of Major General in Sept 1984 (alongside Brigadiers Tunde Idiagbon, Solomon Omojokun, Charles Ndiomu, Mohammed Magoro, Gado Nasko and Paul Omu).

1 Like

Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by olawoyintolani: 11:35am On Jul 15, 2015
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by kenoz(m): 11:36am On Jul 15, 2015
So ?
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by femiakinbully(m): 11:44am On Jul 15, 2015
EPIC ........ smiley
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by free13: 12:41pm On Jul 15, 2015
Hmm....
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by ModiKen(m): 12:42pm On Jul 15, 2015
donholy28:
when d army uniforms wr as ridiculous as hell

Thr coups aside......dat was when d Nigerian military was highly respected and feared in Africa and d world in general, not d laughing stock it has become today.

BTW, did u see any off dem with pot belly thr compare that to army officers of their rank today and tell me d diff.
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by YOMNIK: 1:02pm On Jul 15, 2015
this one na real trow back pics
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by patwilly(m): 1:33pm On Jul 15, 2015
jiorhemen:

It was an error, not that OBJ did not know or was wrong, it was just a mistake. I also read that part you referred to. Babangida and Vatsa got promoted the same day to the next rank until they got to Major General. Buhari was always promoted ahead of Babangida until they both got to Major General. Both were majors during the civil war. Apart from the records in the Army secretariat which I am privy to, during the last presidential campaign in Minna, when General Buhari and APC visited IBB in his house in Minna, I was there live when General Babangida made reference to the fact that both of them were 'young majors during the war'. Then that aside, even if it happened that there was a time IBB was ahead of Buhari by rank before Buhari overtook (though it never happened), it is not an aberration. In the military, there are some occasions where a junior is promoted before his senior. It happens a lot. Lots of factors are responsible for this, but I can't start explaining that now. Even it is still happening till now. There was a time my brother was promoted ahead of a senior fighter pilot who instructed him in air combat training. However, this my brother's senior was later promoted and now occupies a bigger office than my brother who is actually his junior, but got promoted before him.
Let me help you here. Considering the "staff" strength of the entire officer corps of the Nigerian army during the war which was quite small , and for purposes of expediency , a good number of officers were promoted temporal/ substantial majors or captains as the case may be. this was to ensure only officers of a certain rank could command platoons/ battalions depending on the need.Mind you this is not standard practice but for emergencies like wartime etc . So it is possible IBB wore the ranks of a major before Buhari despite the former being his junior. These things were commonplace to suit the need of a particular operation or purpose during the war thats all.
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by nollywoodbabe: 1:44pm On Jul 15, 2015
marshalcarter:
So wats the essence of bringing all these old old shots back
I mean it isn't doin any gud nii

It is called HISTORY! Without Yesterday, they will be no today or tomorrow.
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by feedthenation(m): 2:40pm On Jul 15, 2015
Ten years later, IBB became the HoS in Nigeria, the fire was already in him.
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by Ibralhas(m): 2:50pm On Jul 15, 2015
[quote author=marshalcarter post=35874635]So wats the essence of bringing all these old old shots back
I mean it isn't doin any gud nii

Mind your language please.
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by Olaone1: 3:23pm On Jul 15, 2015
ModiKen:

BTW, did u see any off dem with pot belly thr compare that to army officers of their rank today and tell me d diff.
Bollocks.

Babangida and co were in their 20s then. Minimah and co are far older today hence the "pot belly".

Most colonels today are at least over 40
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by millhouse: 4:41pm On Jul 15, 2015
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:09pm On Jul 15, 2015
patwilly:

Let me help you here. Considering the "staff" strength of the entire officer corps of the Nigerian army during the war which was quite small , and for purposes of expediency , a good number of officers were promoted temporal/ substantial majors or captains as the case may be. this was to ensure only officers of a certain rank could command platoons/ battalions depending on the need.Mind you this is not standard practice but for emergencies like wartime etc . So it is possible IBB wore the ranks of a major before Buhari despite the former being his junior. These things were commonplace to suit the need of a particular operation or purpose during the war thats all.
It's this same circumstances that led to Murtala Muhammed, Muhammed Shuwa,T. Y. Danjuma and Hassan Katsina to be given double promotion by Aguiyi-Ironsi. At a point in time in January 1976, T. Y. Danjuma with his new rank of Lt-Gen, became the senior of his GOC during the Civil War, Maj-Gen. Bissalla.
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by Whobedatte(m): 6:49pm On Jul 15, 2015
olamidefatoye:
Hmmmmm!
Meanwhile, Oriflame sweeden provides you the opportunity to earn millions of Naira in networking with only 1,200 naira. Follow this link to learn more http://my.oriflame.com.ng/olamidearijeoriflameteam
please. Add me through my signature so I can know one or two things about the networking agency.

1 Like

Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by initiate: 8:20pm On Jul 15, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Obasanjo can't be wrong. .

Don't let anyone hear you say this

Obasanjo is a master at manipulating facts and rewriting history to satisfy his whims. he is a boldfaced liar and ignores processes at will. read soyinkas book to learn a little more about obj, ebora owu
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by mmrius(m): 9:13pm On Jul 15, 2015
That look in Babaginda's eyes.
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by ModiKen(m): 10:10pm On Jul 15, 2015
Olaone1:

Bollocks.

Babangida and co were in their 20s then. Minimah and co are far older today hence the "pot belly".

Most colonels today are at least over 40

Mid 20s?!!!

Hw do u know; were u in d military with them at that time?
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 29, 2015
omojoshy:
When the MEN were boys cool

RIP Muritala and Tunde Idiagbon sad
Say when the thieves were innocent.
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by disumusa: 9:10am On Jul 29, 2015
jiorhemen:
Former Head of state, General Murtala Mohammed in a handshake with Lt. Col. Ibrahim Babangida at the swearing in of the Supreme Military Council (SMC) in 1975. In the background is Lt. Col. Tunde Idiagbon.
nonsense, that is not buhari, rather look like mama gadafi.
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by millhouse: 9:17am On Jul 29, 2015
dd
Re: Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 by babadem2much(m): 10:02am On Jan 07, 2016
HungerBAD:
Speechless.

Hunger bad which of the Recce Battalion year or dad served ? sorry for the loss bro.

I just want to inquire something

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Boko Haram Kills Captain Anthony Tekemeka In Borno (photo) / Internally Generated Revenue Compared To Federal Allocation Of States 2020 / Bayo Omoboriowo Prostrates To Greet Buhari; Celebrates President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.