Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. (42121 Views)

Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck / When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. / The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by viktor01(m): 1:36pm On Jul 17, 2015
Iamsynord:
OK.

Op I WOULD have Slapped You but after reading the write up, I WILL not do so.

na so. i will have slap you but as u come talk am, i would not slap you

1 Like

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Swagk101(m): 1:40pm On Jul 17, 2015
softysparky:
Boring nairaland.
Had it been it was about sex you wouldn't have said such, common ma'am life isn't about sex alone...we learn everyday.Peace cool
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by segemint(f): 1:40pm On Jul 17, 2015
Swagk101:
Come to my crib & u'll never regret me teaching you in the end grin
I think u have already answered my question.. Ur brain dey dia
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Yommiefish(m): 1:43pm On Jul 17, 2015
Educative!
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Swagk101(m): 1:46pm On Jul 17, 2015
segemint:
I think u have already answered my question.. Ur brain dey dia
Tanx ma'am
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Orikinla(m): 2:17pm On Jul 17, 2015
OP, just copied from http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/verbs/modal-verbs/will-or-would.
But you did not define them well.

[size=18pt]
Intermediate grammar exercise: first conditional vs. second conditional (2)[/size]
http://speakspeak.com/english-grammar-exercises/intermediate/first-versus-second-conditional-2

Structure of the first conditional
positive negative question
If I see him, I'll (I will) tell him. If you don't hurry, you'll (you will) miss the bus. What will you do if there is a problem?
Structure of second conditional
positive negative question
If I had more time, I'd (I would) travel more. I wouldn't (would not) refuse if you offered me $10,000. What would you say if you met Queen Elizabeth?

WILL
Besides expressing future time, will can also express volition (determination) or willingness (happy to help without needing persuasion).
WILL PLAIN FORM VERB
I will
win this singing contest! (determination)
I will
sing anything they would like.
(willingness)
I will
sing my best!
(willingness, determination)
*I would
win that singing contest!
(*not used anymore for a past wish)
*Would
that we had won that contest.
(*not used anymore for a past wish)
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by SomebodyLovesMe: 2:19pm On Jul 17, 2015
jaybee3:
oh my fvcking days, geez

Who gives a flying monkey?

Are we in primary school or WTF?

90% of Nairalanders mix those words up! For you not to have noticed, you are evidently among them.

Read the article and thank the OP.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Hemanwel(m): 2:23pm On Jul 17, 2015
Iamsynord:
OK.

The OP and this poster I am quoting do not understand the principle of "Tense Balancing".
OP's second sentence says:

"Some of us might not even know our sentence becomes grammatical incorrect when we replace one of the words with another".

This is actually a wrong english.It's wrong to have a mixture of present tense verb and past tense verb in one sentence.Inasmuch as the first verb 'might' is in past tense,every other verb in the same sentence must be in the past tense form.So,the proper english should be:

"Some of us might not even know our sentence became grammatically incorrect when we replaced one of the words with another".

To the poster I quoted,I hope my explanation will change your mind about your post?
Thanks..
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by jaybee3(m): 2:23pm On Jul 17, 2015
SomebodyLovesMe:

90% of Nairalanders mix those words up! For you not to have noticed, you are evidently among them.

Read the article and thank the OP.
Does it really matter though?

We are still able to communicate without paying too much attention to minute differences that may exist in English words
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by themejiwalker(m): 2:29pm On Jul 17, 2015
jaybee3:

Does it really matter though?

We are still able to communicate without paying too much attention to minute differences that may exist in English words

Abi o..Understanding lo matter jare
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by chukslawrence(m): 2:36pm On Jul 17, 2015
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by chidooh1: 2:39pm On Jul 17, 2015
I wouldn't have learnt this but it's so important that i will.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Segadem(m): 2:40pm On Jul 17, 2015
simply put "would" usually comes before "have'" (e.g. would have).
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Orikinla(m): 2:43pm On Jul 17, 2015
SHALL - WILL - SHOULD - WOULD

Future and conditional forms of verbs.
http://www.learn-english-today.com/lessons/lesson_cont/exercises/shall-will-should-would_quiz1.html
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by fabela(f): 3:07pm On Jul 17, 2015
Interesting... I would comment later
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by petkoffDrake(m): 3:08pm On Jul 17, 2015
segemint:
Thanks alot.. Have been battling with this two words.. If u can enlighten me on when to use" in the end and at the end" thank u. smiley
IN D END I felt like marrying u
AT D END I did marry u
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Bode2: 3:24pm On Jul 17, 2015
Maintech:
I would have loved to be the first to comment but MTN will have to make their network better. grin
It's not their fault, it is the handiwork of we thieves using cheat and this has brought about congestion on the network.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Doctorflaky(f): 3:27pm On Jul 17, 2015
Enlightening..
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Bode2: 3:27pm On Jul 17, 2015
fabela:
Interesting... I would comment later
read the post again Ma.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by emmabest2000(m): 3:31pm On Jul 17, 2015
U[quote author=thecreativeguy post=35957281]Many of us do get this twisted. You know, when we ought to use 'will' in a sentence, we use 'would', and vice-versa. Some of us might not even know our sentence becomes grammatical incorrect when we replace one of the words with another.

Note. None of us is perfect with The Use Of English (even many English natives can't boast of being perfect with it) We all learn every day. So, let us learn something today.

We use will :

to talk about the future – to say what we believe
will happen

to talk about what people want to do or are
willing to do

to make promises and offers.

Would is the past tense form of will . Because it
is a past tense it is used:

to talk about the past.

to talk about hypotheses – things that are
imagined rather than true.

for politeness

Examples

We'll be late.
We will have to take the train.

Would as the past tense of Will (to say what we believed would happen
)

I thought I would be late …… so I would have to
take the train.

When you want to make an Offer or promise, use Will.

I’ll give you a lift home after the party.
We will come and see you next week.

Would, for polite offers and invitations:

Would you like to come round to morrow?
Would you like another drink?

Etc.

Hope you learn something. You can check for more resources online. Thanks
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by IYANGBALI: 3:35pm On Jul 17, 2015
Will is used when you mean something,while would is used to do shakara e.g I will slap you, {dis one na real} I would kill you{this one na shakara}
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Adekorya: 3:36pm On Jul 17, 2015
musicwriter:
English language is one of the most imperfect language in the world!. A language where there's no head or tail. A sentence could be right or wrong at the same time. There're too many exceptions to the rule. But, how many exceptions can you make?. Therefore, it makes a good language for telling lies. This's not just my view but consensus of linguists.

From your own example:

We will come and see you next week.

How about; We would come and see you next week, if there's no rain.

Now, what this sentence truly mean is you may or may not come, whether it rains or not. This's why English is very good for telling lies.

Do you know the sex case against former US president Bill Clinton was stalled for many weeks because both sides of the litigation were contesting the meaning of "a" in a sentence?.

This language will be booted out of Africa, if you join me.

I will post you what the world's most popular linguist, Mr. Noam Chomski said about English language. Let me find it on YouTube. Will be back soon.

Back......

I consider this man the most honest person alive. This man is so honest that it's unbelievable!.

Watch.

Noam Chomski on the concept of language
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdUbIlwHRkY

If you have enough MB you can watch several others of his videos. You gotta love this man.

Which one be this Nah?

I would have like to watch it, but I will not because I don't have enough megabyte and I don't want to miss out on this .Will you pls type out what he says in the video?
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by musicwriter(m): 3:40pm On Jul 17, 2015
Adekorya:

Which one be this Nah?

I would have like to watch it, but I will not because I don't have enough megabyte and I don't want to miss out on this .Will you pls type out what he says in the video?

What he said is exactly what I said. But, I just summarized it.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by segemint(f): 3:50pm On Jul 17, 2015
petkoffDrake:

IN D END I felt like marrying u
AT D END I did marry u
thanks alot dear. God bless
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by petkoffDrake(m): 3:54pm On Jul 17, 2015
segemint:
thanks alot dear. God bless
. I prefer God to bless me with u
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by agrovick(m): 4:14pm On Jul 17, 2015
Iamsynord:
OK.

Great minds think alike.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by tunapius(m): 4:17pm On Jul 17, 2015
Mr man, e still remain.. "WHILE & WHEN nko?
E.g i saw him WHILE i was going home. &
I saw him WHEN I'm going home..
Shall look fwd to ur reply bro!
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Samexdx(m): 4:28pm On Jul 17, 2015
Waiting for when to use "can" and "could" in a sentence... Op oya open another thread for that
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Danny4show(m): 4:32pm On Jul 17, 2015
tongue ;Dwould like to be the president in the next election only if GMB will step aside grin tongue ;Dwould like to be the president in the next election only if GMB will step aside
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Keepshining(f): 4:33pm On Jul 17, 2015
thecreativeguy:
Why not now?
Because i don't know which one to use btw will/would.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by mrtheo33: 4:43pm On Jul 17, 2015
Good one. Thanks
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Flashh: 4:50pm On Jul 17, 2015
grin cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

JAMB: Between The Conservative North & The Chest-Beating South - Reno Omokri / Cutest Top Three Vice Chancellors In Nigeria / A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.