Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,215 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. (42124 Views)

Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck / When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. / The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Samirana360(m): 12:50pm On Jul 17, 2015
ok
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Gurgle(f): 12:50pm On Jul 17, 2015
Well done smiley
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by UnknownT: 12:51pm On Jul 17, 2015
i would have booked a space but i will not
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 17, 2015
Boring nairaland.

1 Like

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jul 17, 2015
thecreativeguy:
Many of us do get this twisted. You know, when we ought to use 'will' in a sentence, we use 'would', and vice-versa. Some of us might not even know our sentence becomes grammatical incorrect when we replace one of the words with another.

Note. None of us is perfect with The Use Of English (even many English natives can't boast of being perfect with it) We all learn every day. So, let us learn something today.

We use will :

to talk about the future – to say what we believe
will happen

to talk about what people want to do or are
willing to do

to make promises and offers.

Would is the past tense form of will . Because it
is a past tense it is used:

to talk about the past.

to talk about hypotheses – things that are
imagined rather than true.

for politeness

Examples

We'll be late.
We will have to take the train.

Would as the past tense of Will (to say what we believed would happen)

I thought I would be late …… so I would have to
take the train.

When you want to make an Offer or promise, use Will.

I’ll give you a lift home after the party.
We will come and see you next week.

Would, for polite offers and invitations:

Would you like to come round to morrow?
Would you like another drink?

Etc.

Hope you learn something. You can check for more resources online. Thanks
EYAAAA.

WEATHER WOULD, WILL, THOSE, THUS, ENGLISH NO BE MY PAPA LANGUAGE, I ONLY STUDY ENGLISH AT SCHOOL AND NA THERE ENGLISH DIE.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jul 17, 2015
Boring nairaland.

jaybee3:
oh my fvcking days, geez
Who gives a flying monkey?
Are we in primary school or WTF?
Because it's not a boobi threadgrin
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by toseen29: 12:53pm On Jul 17, 2015
I will buy Toyota.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Donalleh(m): 12:55pm On Jul 17, 2015
who English don help
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by jaybee3(m): 12:56pm On Jul 17, 2015
softysparky:
Boring nairaland.

Because it's not a boobi threadgrin

You sef don get monitoring spirit?

sparky ndo oooo
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Maintech: 12:57pm On Jul 17, 2015
kilode100:
Who caresabout that??
Guy, make money and stop talking shit.

Will and would.mcheww.
Who e help?

It would have helped you lose some weight but you will never learn.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Youngmolis: 12:58pm On Jul 17, 2015
Nice one
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jul 17, 2015
jaybee3:

You sef don get monitoring spirit?
sparky ndo oooo
Buhahahahaha I just say make i hail you as you be FTC on a boobi thread naa.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Emodeee: 1:00pm On Jul 17, 2015
English is d problem of nigeria. If u agree, click like, if u disagree, click share.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by kilode100(f): 1:00pm On Jul 17, 2015
Maintech:

It would have helped you lose some weight but you will never learn.

I'm on it but I intend to lose it through séx, I fvck five times daily nowadays and I just watch the pounds slide off.

Ain't I blessed??.. tongue cheesy

6 Likes

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by jaybee3(m): 1:02pm On Jul 17, 2015
softysparky:

Buhahahahaha I just say make i hail you as you be FTC on a boobi thread naa.

How i take get that FTC, be like say una don stop to dey follow me from village ba?
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by afeezmore: 1:03pm On Jul 17, 2015
NOTED, but 4 yoraba i know am well well, english no be my pah tongue NAH e.g ( nairaland ni awon space bookers ti o'ju won ran, ti o'ni anu loju wah) why would went this way e.g ( may be nah there mad people dey ooo)...
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jul 17, 2015
jaybee3:

How i take get that FTC, be like say una don stop to dey follow me from village ba?

See as you dey accuse innocent girl like me.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by jaybee3(m): 1:07pm On Jul 17, 2015
softysparky:

See as you dey accuse innocent girl like me.

Would you even believe that statement if you had to read it again, I'm quite sure you will agree with my original assertion

1 Like

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by bolafez(m): 1:11pm On Jul 17, 2015
I gained smtyn thanks
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by professore(m): 1:15pm On Jul 17, 2015
Okay
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by oluwalfa: 1:16pm On Jul 17, 2015
trash
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by pat077: 1:17pm On Jul 17, 2015
All we need is idea, English is not our mother tongue.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by kokomilala(m): 1:20pm On Jul 17, 2015
Anybody, who so desires, can master the English Language.It's the most catholic language in the world, because, it's taken from so many other languages.For this reason, it is no longer the exclusive preserve of the English people.That's why someone like Wole Soyinka could win the Nobel Prize for Literature.Another reason why Joseph Conrad, author of The Heart of Darkness, could author the book in his third language, English.Polish was his first language,French, his second.
English, just like any other language, consists in a body of structures-grammar.Once they can be grasped and properly applied, perfection is achievable.As a grammarian, I must confess it's difficult in the formative stage.But, with association and assimilation, it's possible.Problem with the users, particularly in this part of the world, is that they aren't humble enough to learn it.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by bravolad(m): 1:21pm On Jul 17, 2015
thecreativeguy:
Many of us do get this twisted. You know, when we ought to use 'will' in a sentence, we use 'would', and vice-versa. Some of us might not even know our sentence becomes grammatical incorrect when we replace one of the words with another.

Note. None of us is perfect with The Use Of English (even many English natives can't boast of being perfect with it) We all learn every day. So, let us learn something today.

We use will :

to talk about the future – to say what we believe
will happen

to talk about what people want to do or are
willing to do

to make promises and offers.

Would is the past tense form of will . Because it
is a past tense it is used:

to talk about the past.

to talk about hypotheses – things that are
imagined rather than true.

for politeness

Examples

We'll be late.
We will have to take the train.

Would as the past tense of Will (to say what we believed would happen)

I thought I would be late …… so I would have to
take the train.

When you want to make an Offer or promise, use Will.

I’ll give you a lift home after the party.

Would, for polite offers and invitations:

Would you like to come round to morrow?
Would you like another drink?

Etc.

Hope you learn something. You can check for more resources online. Thanks

Beside using 'would as a past tense of 'will', it can be used to express an intention or inclination. For instance, teachers would have us all come to school early. It could also be used to express uncertainty; It would appear that his vehicle is faulty. Also used as a conditional sentence to express choice or possibility. Eg I would come if I had the fare.

'Will' is an auxiliary verb used also to express compulsion; We will drive home. People will talk. It is used to express habit or inclination. Girls will be girls etc.

3 Likes

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by freeage7(m): 1:21pm On Jul 17, 2015
I am open to more of this. God bless you.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Welrez(m): 1:27pm On Jul 17, 2015
The complication goes far beyond what the OP has pointed out. Befriend your dictionary.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Lokooneone(m): 1:28pm On Jul 17, 2015
Quite revealing. Reading this thread is not a well.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Blankstare(m): 1:29pm On Jul 17, 2015
What of been and being?
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Swagk101(m): 1:30pm On Jul 17, 2015
segemint:
Thanks alot.. Have been battling with this two words.. If u can enlighten me on when to use" in the end and at the end" thank u. smiley
Come to my crib & u'll never regret me teaching you in the end grin
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Owoplenty(m): 1:31pm On Jul 17, 2015
a tutorial expression with a unique laconity,kudos for the op
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by RolePlay(m): 1:31pm On Jul 17, 2015
Oya teach us the correct usage of may and might. Thanks
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by musicwriter(m): 1:33pm On Jul 17, 2015
English language is one of the most imperfect language in the world!. A language where there's no head or tail. A sentence could be right or wrong at the same time. There're too many exceptions to the rule. But, how many exceptions can you make?. Therefore, it makes a good language for telling lies. This's not just my view but consensus of linguists.

From your own example:

How about; We would come and see you next week, if there's no rain.

Now, what this sentence truly mean is you may or may not come, whether it rains or not. This's why English is very good for telling lies.

Do you know the sex case against former US president Bill Clinton was stalled for many weeks because both sides of the litigation were contesting the meaning of "a" in a sentence?.

This language will be booted out of Africa, if you join me.

I will post you what the world's most popular linguist, Mr. Noam Chomski said about English language. Let me find it on YouTube. Will be back soon.

Back......

I consider this man the most honest person alive. This man is so honest that it's unbelievable!.

Watch.

Noam Chomski on the concept of language
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdUbIlwHRkY

If you have enough MB you can watch several others of his videos. You gotta love this man.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cutest Top Three Vice Chancellors In Nigeria / A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? / 22 Photos Proving How Strange The World Around Us Is

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.