Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. (42122 Views)

Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck / When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. / The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jul 17, 2015
segemint:
Thanks alot.. Have been battling with this two words.. If u can enlighten me on when to use" in the end and at the end" thank u. smiley
IN THE END
In the end is used mostly as an idiom that means
"finally," "after a long time," or, "when everything is
considered." It is often followed by a comma. Here are
some sentences with this idiom:
1. We worked hard, and in the end, we achieved our
goal.
2. In the end, what really matters in a friendship is trust.

AT THE END
At the end is used in the idiom "at the end of the day."
which means something similar to in the end (= when
everything is considered). However, at the end is most
commonly used more literally, as a prepositional phrase
followed by of, to refer to the end of a specific noun.
This noun can be a physical object, a period of time, an
event, a place, or something more abstract, such as
one's patience.
Here are some sentences with in the end + of:
1. At the end of his life, he had no regrets.
2. Put a period at the end of every sentence.
3. I pay the phone bill at the end of each month.
4. There is a brick building at the end of the driveway.

2 Likes

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by castrokins(m): 4:56pm On Jul 17, 2015
Let Us Begin By Correcting '...becomes grammatical incorrect...' To 'Grammatically Incorrect'

Nice Thread!!

thecreativeguy:
Many of us do get this twisted. You know, when we ought to use 'will' in a sentence, we use 'would', and vice-versa. Some of us might not even know our sentence becomes grammatical incorrect when we replace one of the words with another.

Note. None of us is perfect with The Use Of English (even many English natives can't boast of being perfect with it) We all learn every day. So, let us learn something today.

We use will :

to talk about the future – to say what we believe
will happen

to talk about what people want to do or are
willing to do

to make promises and offers.

Would is the past tense form of will . Because it
is a past tense it is used:

to talk about the past.

to talk about hypotheses – things that are
imagined rather than true.

for politeness

Examples

We'll be late.
We will have to take the train.

Would as the past tense of Will (to say what we believed would happen)

I thought I would be late …… so I would have to
take the train.

When you want to make an Offer or promise, use Will.

I’ll give you a lift home after the party.
We will come and see you next week.

Would, for polite offers and invitations:

Would you like to come round to morrow?
Would you like another drink?

Etc.

Hope you learn something. You can check for more resources online. Thanks
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by MrBasketball: 4:56pm On Jul 17, 2015
kilode100:
Who caresabout that??
Guy, make money and stop talking shit.

Will and would.mcheww.
Who e help?
kilode100:
Who caresabout that??

Will and would.mcheww.
Who e help?

And that's how she wasted two lines because of English anger.

I Would have banned you right now, but i won't.

I will do that some other time.

1 Like

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Realist2: 5:15pm On Jul 17, 2015
thecreativeguy:
Many of us do get this twisted. You know, when we ought to use 'will' in a sentence, we use 'would', and vice-versa. Some of us might not even know our sentence becomes grammatical incorrect when we replace one of the words with another.

Note. None of us is perfect with The Use Of English (even many English natives can't boast of being perfect with it) We all learn every day. So, let us learn something today.

We use will :

will happen

willing to do

to talk about the past.

for politeness

Examples

We'll be late.

take the train.

Etc.

Op you forget to add '' would '' can be used when you are not very sure or Certain of wat u intend to do.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by kilode100(f): 5:16pm On Jul 17, 2015
MrBasketball:

And that's how she wasted two lines because of English anger.

I Would have banned you right now, but i won't.

I will do that some other time.

My Love, wassup??

3 Likes

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Primme(m): 5:26pm On Jul 17, 2015
I don't just understand why Nigerian value & rate English more than our various native languages, we speak & understand English more than those Englishmen, ask yourself, can Englishman speak your various languages? See, that is one of the genesis of our problem in d country, excess of everything is a pollution, excess of knowledge pollutes our conutry, see how our country is polluted with corruption!
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by tonero230(m): 5:27pm On Jul 17, 2015
Richie0974:
So people still make that mistake undecided

What are you forming?
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 17, 2015
thanks for the info.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by MrBasketball: 5:51pm On Jul 17, 2015
kilode100:

My Love, wassup??

"Your Love" that you never care to mention him after a very long time... And you never care to reply my messages by mentioning you several times of my apologies. undecided

Keep deceiving me. sad

1 Like

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by ibedun: 5:53pm On Jul 17, 2015
Thanks a million OP. Fantastic for me after all these years of trying to understand the difference.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Richie0974: 5:53pm On Jul 17, 2015
tonero230:

What are you forming?

Am not forming anything I just don't expect some people to still make that kinda mistake...
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by daneni1(m): 5:53pm On Jul 17, 2015
kilode100:
Who caresabout that??

Will and would.mcheww.
Who e help?

E help someone like me, madam u get issue with anyone wey make come dey para on top op topic
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Richie0974: 5:54pm On Jul 17, 2015
tonero230:

What are you forming?

Am not forming anything I just don't expect some people to still make that kind of mistake...
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by kilode100(f): 6:03pm On Jul 17, 2015
MrBasketball:

"Your Love" that you never care to mention him after a very long time... And you never care to reply my messages by mentioning you several times of my apologies. undecided

Keep deceiving me. sad

No vex jare... Na these olosho people no gree me see road.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Sike(m): 6:10pm On Jul 17, 2015
Nice thread. Cool post. Lesson learnt
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by MrBasketball: 6:20pm On Jul 17, 2015
kilode100:

No vex jare... Na these olosho people no gree me see road.
Okay o... Which one be olosho wey no gree you see road?

1 Like

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by kilode100(f): 6:32pm On Jul 17, 2015
MrBasketball:

Okay o... Which one be olosho wey no gree you see road?

Have you not been following events??
But it's just two of us now kiss

1 Like

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by ChibuikeStanley7(m): 6:35pm On Jul 17, 2015
Thank You dear for that lecture. I really learned indeed.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by MrBasketball: 7:12pm On Jul 17, 2015
kilode100:

Have you not been following events?? But it's just two of us now kiss
The two of us? Chai diaris God oo. embarassed

1 Like

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Maintech: 7:31pm On Jul 17, 2015
kilode100:

I'm on it but I intend to lose it through séx, I fvck five times daily nowadays and I just watch the pounds slide off.

Ain't I blessed??.. tongue cheesy

The hustle is real.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by kilode100(f): 7:49pm On Jul 17, 2015
MrBasketball:

The two of us? Chai diaris God oo. embarassed

Why?..
What's the worst that could happen?? kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 17, 2015
segemint:
Thanks alot.. Have been battling with this these two words.. If u can enlighten me on when to use" in the end and at the end" thank u. smiley
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by MrBasketball: 8:11pm On Jul 17, 2015
kilode100:

Why?..
What's the worst that could happen?? kiss kiss

"Just two of us now"... that phrase is strong.

I began to wonder if you really mean it or you just want to sweeten it.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by kilode100(f): 8:16pm On Jul 17, 2015
MrBasketball:

"Just two of us now"... that phrase is strong.

I began to wonder if you really mean it or you just want to sweeten it.

Typo??
Are you for real?? cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by MrBasketball: 8:19pm On Jul 17, 2015
kilode100:

Typo?? Are you for real?? cheesy cheesy
How do you mean? Didn't get you.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by SomebodyLovesMe: 8:55pm On Jul 17, 2015
jaybee3:

Does it really matter though?

We are still able to communicate without paying too much attention to minute differences that may exist in English words

It really does matter. In certain environments, social circles or circumstances (e.g. job interviews / assessments), people are assessed based on their use of English, and its misuse could cost them opportunities.

If you are speaking English, speak proper English.If you are speaking a native language, speak properly.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jul 17, 2015
Neduzze5:
Will-iam, you get luck enh... If not for God, I would have killed you and the police will do nothing about it and upon that, I will remove your name from my Will undecided

We dem boyz!!

for Ur mind abi.

dem small boyz.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by tsmith(f): 11:53pm On Jul 17, 2015
thecreativeguy:

We use will :

will happen

willing to do

to talk about the past.

for politeness

Examples

We'll be late.

take the train.

Etc.

Also will is used for certainty whilst would is conditional

I will like to visit you tomorrow
I would like to visityou tomorrow if I get off work in time
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by AKJA(m): 10:35am On Jul 18, 2015
Please be kind enough to further enlighten us on these 2 words in similar vain. BEING & BEEN.
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by louisdemaria(m): 8:02pm On Jul 18, 2015
Who caresabout that?? Guy, make money and stop talking shit. Will and would.mcheww. Who e help?
No be force 2comment my guy...u for jez pass like mi..bt last last,who u hlp?
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by kuknisti: 10:19am On Jan 09, 2016
Here is a video explaining WOULD in a different way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fELbobRy3Wg
Re: When To Use "Will" Or "Would" In A Sentence. by Christiangospel5: 7:01am On Feb 15, 2016
Thanks alot i am proud of nairaland the are the most humble forum ever seen.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

JAMB: Between The Conservative North & The Chest-Beating South - Reno Omokri / Cutest Top Three Vice Chancellors In Nigeria / A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.