Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities (51384 Views)

/ 20 Courses You Can Study Without Mathematics In Nigerian Universities / While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by ProfTeeUNILORIT: 1:08pm On Jul 19, 2015
D op is just funny, he's trying to drive a point, lets nt castigate him, but if d op is president, 9ja go suffer.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by AzontoGhost(m): 1:09pm On Jul 19, 2015
Biochemistry should scrapped too..cheesy cheesy
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by sukkot: 1:10pm On Jul 19, 2015
Joavid:

They do not work in their field because of corruption and unemployment.

There are civil engineers working in the bank.

I personally know an agricultural science graduate working in glo telecoms company.

Scrapping some courses won't really solve anything. Its sounds absurd to me.

Merging some courses is better - like international relations, history and diplomacy.
Public administration + political science.
Mass commuincation+ journalism
English + linguists.
Literature+ dramatic arts
Etc.
[b]what you are attempting to do is put band-aid over a damaged system. ok let me tell you how this works, how many lecturers are in nigeria ? 10,000 plus maybe ? where does the money come from to pay their salaries ? from the government right ? so the government is paying all these people billions of naira for flushing out tens of thousands of unemployable graduates. so that is damage on two sides. two sides are leaking. you are paying all this money out and you are not bringing any in and then you are flushing out tens of thousands of unemployable people. thats a broken system. however if you overhaul the courses and put courses where no matter what everyone will get work, practical courses like welding, road tarring, road construction, garment making, food manufacturing, auto-mechanics, heavy machinery servicing etc etc, these courses will flush out tens of thousands of graduates that are useful to the country and economy and will advance nigeria, and then you can tax them while they are working and pay the lecturers and that is a working system. thats the only way forward. there is no need continuing all those courses you mentioned. there is no need for them in nigeria. thats just the reality of it. what do you need english and linguistics for ? or mass communication and journalism and literature and drama arts ? these are hobbies and past-times not careers. these are things people do outside of work to unwind. you cant make a hobby into a career. it works in times of prosperity but in times of austerity it does not work[/b]
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 19, 2015
Op I see your brain is presently tabula rasa. Wake up
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jul 19, 2015
You dare not mention PHILOSOPHY
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by deluxecad(m): 1:18pm On Jul 19, 2015
I subscribe.

Nnaeb:
• Philosophy
• Zoology
• Sociology
• Social Work
• Linguistics
• International Relations
• Combined Social Sciences
• Archaeology
• Public Administration (which public?)
• Banking and Finance
• Political Science
• Estate Management (which Estate abeg?)
• Religion
• Insurance
• Marketing
• Physics and astronomy ( There is nothing astronomical about this course in Nigeria)
• Botany
• Library Science
• Corporative Economics

If the federal government are not doing anything by now to scrap this courses from our universities, then it means our economic liberation as a nation is still far-fetched. This courses should be replaced with the courses below. Not as a vocational program now, but as a degree program. Nigerians don’t like to identify with anything vocational, they love to go for ‘NYSC’.
• Software Development
• Welding and Fabrication
• Fashion Designing
• Concrete Finishing (Plastering, Screading, Painting, Tiles)
• Interior designing and Decoration
• Security Systems Technology
• Wood Finishing
• Road Construction Tech
• Leather Extraction and Finishing
• Cinematography and Movie making
• Advanced Programming
• Furniture making
• Solar Engineering
• Automation Engineering
• Hospitality Management
• Waste Management and Recycling Tech
• Web Development and Management
• Graphics, Branding and Industrial Printing
• Plant technology and Herbal sciences
• Content development and Research

If we can embrace this, unemployment will be reduced drastically.
Brown Uzoukwu, (jobtrends.com.ng)
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by charlesucheh(m): 1:19pm On Jul 19, 2015
You need to do a proper search on what those courses entail before making up your list on which to scrap.
Blame the system and not the field, cos even with the present institutional break down in the country, the so called vocational courses you suggested will face similar decay the former hitherto faced.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jul 19, 2015
Joavid:

Sarcasm? I believe?
no darling :p u wil know more if we ever meet againnnnn.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Octaves(m): 1:21pm On Jul 19, 2015
Mazi op. Your suggested courses are what polytechnics are made for. All the university courses are relevant. They only need to be enhanced. Stop making unintelligent conclusions like that

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Aspiregreat: 1:28pm On Jul 19, 2015
sukkot:
[b]what you are attempting to do is put band-aid over a damaged system. ok let me tell you how this works, how many lecturers are in nigeria ? 10,000 plus maybe ? where does the money come from to pay their salaries ? from the government right ? so the government is paying all these people billions of naira for flushing out tens of thousands of unemployable graduates. so that is damage on two sides. two sides are leaking. you are paying all this money out and you are not bringing any in and then you are flushing out tens of thousands of unemployable people. thats a broken system. however if you overhaul the courses and put courses where no matter what everyone will get work, practical courses like welding, road tarring, road construction, garment making, food manufacturing, auto-mechanics, heavy machinery servicing etc etc, these courses will flush out tens of thousands of graduates that are useful to the country and economy and will advance nigeria, and then you can tax them while they are working and pay the lecturers and that is a working system. thats the only way forward. there is no need continuing all those courses you mentioned. there is no need for them in nigeria. thats just the reality of it. what do you need english and linguistics for ? or mass communication and journalism and literature and drama arts ? these are hobbies and past-times not careers. these are things people do outside of work to unwind. you cant make a hobby into a career. it works in times of prosperity but in times of austerity it does not work[/b]

This is the reality facing the nation.....Good one....

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by kheni28(m): 1:31pm On Jul 19, 2015
Seunpaul01:
• Philosophy
• Linguistics
• Banking and Finance
• Political Science
• Estate Management
• Insurance
• Marketing
I dont quite agree wt u on the above. It is only ignorance that made u consider them as not worthy enough to be an area of dicipline.
More also, u can't expect every easy money
making career to be a course study in the higher instituition. This shows some attributes of an ignoramus in you. Everybody did not have to go school to study, some have to take the informal form of professions. So, somehow u are also saying vulcanizing should also be a course?
Infact, some of the replacement u put forward are already a course study in school. Ur opinion shows that ur learning is still at 35% (loading)

WAT COURSE DID U study?

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by legendidris: 1:31pm On Jul 19, 2015
You make sense only if they will listen to you BecaUse those curses you listed IS wHat Nigeria need for this dispensation but most of the couRse you wanted to be scrapped are still relevant
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Rapsodee(m): 1:32pm On Jul 19, 2015
sukkot:
remove botany and zoology from that list. we need vegetables and meat to survive . scrap the others
Apart from that if Botany and Zoology is scrapped that is the end of science in this country,that is,they are bedrock of science... A country with no scientists cant survive even health sciences depend on us in some areas so what Op is saying is not sensible at all for typing the word "Scrap".
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by sukkot: 1:34pm On Jul 19, 2015
Rapsodee:
Apart from that if Botany and Zoology is scrapped that is the end of science in this country.
exactly

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jul 19, 2015
one thing d op doesnt no is dat....most of d courses hr sees as useless r d courses joined together to give us all dis law and e.t.c........so if dos courses r not dere..hw do u tink lawyers,engineers and so on will be made.........or do u think law is a stand alone course..........think welll op .....think well
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Rapsodee(m): 1:40pm On Jul 19, 2015
SAVEDBABA:
one thing d op doesnt no is dat....most of d courses hr sees as useless r d courses joined together to give us all dis law and e.t.c........so if dos courses r not dere..hw do u tink lawyers,engineers and so on will be made.........or do u think law is a stand alone course..........think welll op .....think well
He is not thinking well,shey d Op no go school ni....won't a law student do philosophy courses,won't a medicine student offer botany and zoology courses before he faces his field?...chai...I ask for understanding from God on his behalf.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jul 19, 2015
Nnaeb:
• Philosophy
• Zoology
• Sociology
• Social Work
• Linguistics
• Archaeology
• Banking and Finance
• Political Science
• Religion
• Insurance
• Marketing
• Physics and astronomy ( There is nothing astronomical about this course in Nigeria)
• Botany
• Library Science
• Corporative Economics

If the federal government are not doing anything by now to scrap this courses from our universities, then it means our economic liberation as a nation is still far-fetched. This courses should be replaced with the courses below. Not as a vocational program now, but as a degree program. Nigerians don’t like to identify with anything vocational, they love to go for ‘NYSC’.
• Software Development
• Fashion Designing
• Wood Finishing
• Road Construction Tech
• Advanced Programming
• Furniture making
• Solar Engineering
• Automation Engineering
• Hospitality Management

Another useless post. Most of the courses listed for scrapping are why some countries are called developed nations but how would the author know this when he has never left the shores of Nigeria.
The courses listed as replacement are what polytechnics are meant to teach.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by fortunechy(m): 1:43pm On Jul 19, 2015
the poster u ar seriously sick.in dt case,dia wunt be ntin like uni again,cuz all these courses mentioned ar bed rock of uni.u realy nid to visit nearest psychiatrics to ascertain the status of ur hair. though ur opinion dozn't matter anyway.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by mystical22: 1:50pm On Jul 19, 2015
Nnaeb:
• Philosophy
• Zoology
• Sociology
• Social Work
• Linguistics
• Archaeology
• Banking and Finance
• Political Science
• Religion
• Insurance
• Marketing
• Botany
• Library Science
• Corporative Economics

• Software Development
• Fashion Designing
• Wood Finishing
• Road Construction Tech
• Advanced Programming
• Furniture making
• Solar Engineering
• Automation Engineering
• Hospitality Management

ok goat meat...ogunfe
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by viktor01(m): 1:53pm On Jul 19, 2015
I agree with u op. Don't mind them, majority of them na wetin dem waste 5yrs of their lyf go read. The one wey I hat most na dat philosophy.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 19, 2015
sukkot:
mentioned. there is no need for them in nigeria. thats just the reality of it. what do english and linguistics for ? or mass communication and journalism and literature and drama arts ? these are hobbies and past-times not careers. these are things people do outside of work
sorry to ask did u go to school......how can u say wot do we need english for dat question only will not make me take u serious.........
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 19, 2015
Branzy:
Do you know the importance of social workers and sociologists at all.. If the current structure on ground don't encourage this field doesn't mean It should scraped... I am a proud social worker in the making even if we are not duly recognised doesn't makes us feeble...
And you wonder why there are many mad people roaming the streets in Nigeria.
Idrismusty97:
Agric would provide you with Vegetables and meats. Some courses are just irrelevant duplicates.
Illiterate.

Op is an half baked graduate.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by sukkot: 1:59pm On Jul 19, 2015
SAVEDBABA:
sorry to ask did u go to school......how can u say wot do we need english for dat question only will not make me take u serious.........
english you learn in high school and primary school. maybe even kindergarten. it is not a university course, and from the way you write I can tell you went to a bad primary and secondary school
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by amyjesus: 2:00pm On Jul 19, 2015
my dear go and make proper research before exposing yourself ok.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jul 19, 2015
Rapsodee:
He is not thinking well,shey d Op no go school ni....won't a law student do philosophy courses,won't a medicine student offer botany and zoology courses before he faces his field?...chai...I ask for understanding from God on his behalf.
d guy burst my head......or he thinks without physics dere will b any engineer or without a chemistry dere will b a petroleum industry.......

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Acidosis(m): 2:09pm On Jul 19, 2015
Plant & herbal science?

That's Pharmacognosy, some schools offer that at postgraduate level. I love that course but trust Nigerians, they'll reject you like you're some babalawo (traditional herbalists).

I really love the "Furniture making" part. Nigerians overlook vocational practices like plaque. Furniture is a viable biz; it goes beyond nail and hammer.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Mikkie31(m): 2:13pm On Jul 19, 2015
The op has a point here. Most,if not all universities in Nigeria,do not offer these courses listed on a professional level. Too much attention is given to courses such as medicine,law and computer science,to mention a few. Everyone is only out defending his own course of study,but when we look on the brighter side here we realise what our nation needs is professionalism,not only as a theoretical concept but also a practical ideology,in these lines of profession.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by tete7000(m): 2:15pm On Jul 19, 2015
Someone wants philosophy,sociology scrapped! I really want the op to explain why he thinks the courses he listed aren't necessary for advancement of knowledge in our society. Part of the reason why our society is backward is that many of us just think life is all about I chop you chop. After food has been made available, there are many questions bedevilling man these frontier of knowledge will help us address. Rather than scrapping them we should seek ways to harness what they have to offer humanity. Courses proposed can exist side by side with the ones op wants scrapped.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jul 19, 2015
sukkot:
english you learn in high school and primary school. maybe even kindergarten. it is not a university course, and from the way you write I can tell you went to a bad primary and secondary school
kai.......sorry to ask again,did u go to school at all..........if somone deos nt go to university to study English how will Secondary,primary school student be taught english language........
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by uniqueflash(m): 2:25pm On Jul 19, 2015
so for ur mind my political science wey i want study na waste?thunder na u knw wetin u dey wait for wt ds poster
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 19, 2015
Mikkie31:
The op has a point here. Most,if not all universities in Nigeria,do not offer these courses listed on a professional level. Too much attention is given to courses such as medicine,law and computer science,to mention a few. Everyone is only out defending his own course of study,but when we look on the brighter side here we realise what our nation needs is professionalism,not only as a theoretical concept but also a practical ideology,in these lines of profession.
i am a mechanical engineering student bt i dont agree with your point......university is not all about engineering,law and medicine do u tink without physics dere will b any engineer
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by sukkot: 2:26pm On Jul 19, 2015
SAVEDBABA:
kai.......sorry to ask again,did u go to school at all..........if somone deos nt go to university to study English how will Secondary,primary school student be taught english language........
well you dont need to go to every university to study english to be a teacher. there should be a dedicated teaching university for people who want to be teachers and in that university they will teach you whatever course you want to teach. in england it is called PGCE. however to just have 400 universities having an english program is absurd and a waste.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Private School Owners Are Dubiously Cheating Their Teachers / Female Student Dies In The ATBU Bauchi Bridge Collapse (Photos) / Pay Your Third Term School Fees, FG Tells Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.