Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities (51393 Views)

/ 20 Courses You Can Study Without Mathematics In Nigerian Universities / While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 19, 2015
Mikkie31:
The op has a point here. Most,if not all universities in Nigeria,do not offer these courses listed on a professional level. Too much attention is given to courses such as medicine,law and computer science,to mention a few. Everyone is only out defending his own course of study,but when we look on the brighter side here we realise what our nation needs is professionalism,not only as a theoretical concept but also a practical ideology,in these lines of profession.
the op has no point
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 19, 2015
sukkot:
well you dont need to go to every university to study english to be a teacher. there should be a dedicated teaching university for people who want to be teachers and in that university they will teach you whatever course you want to teach. in england it is called PGCE. however to just have 400 universities having an english program is absurd and a waste.
now i understand u............i am sorry if i hav if i hav angered u.....jst for info sacks.....i went to one of d Airforce schools in Nigeria for my sec school.....and kings kid primary school in Nigeria
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by JakesJ(m): 2:40pm On Jul 19, 2015
For Acknowledging And Making This Meaningful Points In Our God Forsake Country Nigeria. U'll Leave To Be A Disturbancy Unto Ur 4Th Generation Un~Born With Ur Old Age, As U'll Not Die Nor Decay, But Leave To Depreciate Into Team Air. Amen.....
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by sukkot: 2:48pm On Jul 19, 2015
SAVEDBABA:
now i understand u............i am sorry if i hav if i hav angered u.....jst for info sacks.....i went to one of d Airforce schools in Nigeria for my sec school.....and kings kid primary school in Nigeria
I am sorry if I have angered you too bro. Our system does need an overhaul. See, our system is copied from the british. The british created all the courses when they were an empire. They were stealing and looting from every country in the world and they became so rich that the people in england didnt need real jobs anymore. So because of this wealth they started turning all their hobbies and recreation activities into university courses. Thats how all this useless courses came about. Its a system created for people living in luxury. We in nigeria are not an empire and we are not stealing the worlds resources so we are not rich. so we cant continue to do the british system of teaching recreational and hobby activities as courses. we need to get practical. thats the point I was trying to bring out. We inherited a system that was created for people living in luxury.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by mansmith(m): 2:49pm On Jul 19, 2015
Nnaeb:
• Philosophy
• Zoology
• Sociology
• Social Work
• Linguistics
• International Relations
• Combined Social Sciences
• Archaeology
• Public Administration (which public?)
• Banking and Finance
• Political Science
• Estate Management (which Estate abeg?)
• Religion
• Insurance
• Marketing
• Physics and astronomy ( There is nothing astronomical about this course in Nigeria)
• Botany
• Library Science
• Corporative Economics

If the federal government are not doing anything by now to scrap this courses from our universities, then it means our economic liberation as a nation is still far-fetched. This courses should be replaced with the courses below. Not as a vocational program now, but as a degree program. Nigerians don’t like to identify with anything vocational, they love to go for ‘NYSC’.
• Software Development
• Welding and Fabrication
• Fashion Designing
• Concrete Finishing (Plastering, Screading, Painting, Tiles)
• Interior designing and Decoration
• Security Systems Technology
• Wood Finishing
• Road Construction Tech
• Leather Extraction and Finishing
• Cinematography and Movie making
• Advanced Programming
• Furniture making
• Solar Engineering
• Automation Engineering
• Hospitality Management
• Waste Management and Recycling Tech
• Web Development and Management
• Graphics, Branding and Industrial Printing
• Plant technology and Herbal sciences
• Content development and Research

If we can embrace this, unemployment will be reduced drastically.
Brown Uzoukwu, (jobtrends.com.ng)
little mind . How will you understand.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by adesoyta: 2:56pm On Jul 19, 2015
I am 100% aligned.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Curiouscity(m): 3:02pm On Jul 19, 2015
soe:
The Op has a point and I get what he is driving at....

But bringing this to reality...you need to understand that the courses u listed as useless and should be scrapped are actually what universities re there for in the first place.

The second list of courses u put there are very vital also, but they re actually what COLLEGES are established for. And by colleges, I don't mean secondary schools....

Now, what colleges do is that they train you on how best to do things and when, universities teach you the theory behind why things re done that way and how to improve it.

What we should push for is a system where everyone is made to do some years in colleges before moving to the uni if still interested.

Truth be told...colleges make you an entrepreneur, universities make u a consultant....so in Nigeria today...we have 99% consultants and 1% performers....so who will employ who? Food for thought.
Best post!!!

The problem in our country is everyone wants to be a university graduate. But we fail to understand that 75% of people we have as expatriate in naija are college graduates(equivalent of polytechnics). Every state government is fighting how to convert a polytechnic or other colleges into a university. This causes inflation, where we all have big big degrees, but can not help the economy. We don't produce anything.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jul 19, 2015
I know you're joking about the physics , right ?
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jul 19, 2015
Op u b ode o.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by hakinz87: 3:16pm On Jul 19, 2015
U write according to the level of ur understanding
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 19, 2015
Whoever that posted this is sick.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by KoloOyinbo(m): 3:34pm On Jul 19, 2015
Slimmos:
To say the fact, d op is an illiterate. He is so shallow and naive in thinking.

LOL! Well I cant argue with you on that one (even if I wanted to). I noticed he was also quite down on the biological sciences which is in equal measures sad and ironic in a country with Polio STILL in existence in this day and age plus a country where sickle cell disease is rampant. At least the sufferers will be able to enjoy looking at finely plastered walls from their hospital beds made by the many furniture makers the Universities are turning out in place of such non essential people like doctors and scientists etc.

Sigh! And we act surprised when people still believe in juju!

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Molz(m): 3:35pm On Jul 19, 2015
OP get sense at all undecided undecided
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by africandictator(m): 3:36pm On Jul 19, 2015
Tvegas:
@OP You made a lot of sense. Most courses on that list don't have are not marketable in the labor market. Kindly include History, Archeology etc.

For example even Music graduates can get a placement in the banking industry at the expense of a banking and finance graduate.
archealogy i agree... History no.. Knowledge of our history is vital for economic development...in the united states..history is taught from grade school to A LEVEL. AND EVEN UP TO UNIVERSITY..NOT ONLY IN THE US BUT OTHER DEVELELOPED COUNTRIES.. IN MOST TOP UNIVERSITIES OF THE WORLD.. HISTORY IS A FACULTY ON IT'S OWN... HARVARD,AND OXFORD..
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Dawinlove(m): 3:36pm On Jul 19, 2015
the OP is actually discouragin alot of peeps applyin to study som of dis courses..imagine him sayin interel and linguistics should be scrap..meanin dey useless?
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by africandictator(m): 3:49pm On Jul 19, 2015
op... What do you know about international relation's that you included it on ur shit list... Please i want you to be able to differentiate btwn c.o.e,polythenics,universites and technical school's/monotechnics..
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by africandictator(m): 3:52pm On Jul 19, 2015
op... What do you know about international relation's that you included it on ur shit list... Please i want you to be able to differentiate btwn c.o.e,polythenics,universites and technical school's/monotechnics..
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 19, 2015
Nnaeb:
• Philosophy
• Zoology
• Sociology
• Social Work
• Linguistics
• Archaeology
• Banking and Finance
• Political Science
• Religion
• Insurance
• Marketing
• Physics and astronomy ( There is nothing astronomical about this course in Nigeria)
• Botany
• Library Science
• Corporative Economics

If the federal government are not doing anything by now to scrap this courses from our universities, then it means our economic liberation as a nation is still far-fetched. This courses should be replaced with the courses below. Not as a vocational program now, but as a degree program. Nigerians don’t like to identify with anything vocational, they love to go for ‘NYSC’.
• Software Development
• Fashion Designing
• Wood Finishing
• Road Construction Tech
• Advanced Programming
• Furniture making
• Solar Engineering
• Automation Engineering
• Hospitality Management

Haaa....Werey re oo

#Wailing_Wailer
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Emmayur(m): 4:02pm On Jul 19, 2015
Nnaeb:
• Philosophy
• Zoology
• Sociology
• Social Work
• Linguistics
• Archaeology
• Banking and Finance
• Political Science
• Religion
• Insurance
• Marketing
• Botany
• Library Science
• Corporative Economics

• Software Development
• Fashion Designing
• Wood Finishing
• Road Construction Tech
• Advanced Programming
• Furniture making
• Solar Engineering
• Automation Engineering
• Hospitality Management

You are wrong man... adding Estate Management to that list was very wrong because if you go to a bank for a loan, you will need an Estate Surveyor to value your land and provide you with the value of the land. No other professional can do that.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Lawsimon(m): 4:07pm On Jul 19, 2015
Op, in as much as I would agree with you on the need to prioritise technical education, the importance of most of the courses you listed cannot be over-emphasized. How can you explain to me the need to scrap courses such as international relations, public administration etc. As far as I'm concerned, international relations is as important as medicine or engineering. Since no country is an island, diplomacy should not be toyed with. A country's success in interacting with others depends largely on the capacities of her diplomats. Furthermore, a country's bureaucracy and civil service cannot do without public administration. On the whole, no knowledge is a waste. However, the number of enrollment into these courses should be reduced not scraped and that of technical education should be encouraged.
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by adelawn: 4:13pm On Jul 19, 2015
i think u are ill informed about the importance of these course,philosophy deals with our daily activities,in as far as u engage urselve in reasoning u are already doing philosophy which all being can't do without in a day. Man live to think they think to live

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by adelawn: 4:16pm On Jul 19, 2015
adelawn:
i think u are ill informed about the importance of these course,philosophy deals with our daily activities,in as far as u engage urselve in reasoning u are already doing philosophy which all being can't do without in a day. Man live to think they think to live
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Kidstell: 4:24pm On Jul 19, 2015
the OP may sound naive to some people but this is what I see.
At times, there's this form of reality that burst before your face and you are wishing the world has a reset button.
The truth is university courses alone cannot initialize an effective Renaissance.
Many of the university courses have refused to impress those seeking pragmatic development.
Though it may be silently doing its job, How has sociology helped in national development or human capital development within Nigeria.
what are the possible breakthroughs expected of sociology in Nigeria within the next 5 years.
if you havw good answers, it means sociology is worth studying. if sociology is worth studying on this basis, it doesn't mean other courses should be.
I strongly believe that we do not need to scrap any course rather we should emphasize the courses that will further foster and catalyze true davelopment.
partcularly, I noticed we are not where we ought to be in the battle of human resource.
Before justifying any course, ask yourself, with the rate of development in education and the field concerned, what are the possible breakthroughs expected in the next 5 years
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by delugajackson: 4:31pm On Jul 19, 2015
soe:
The Op has a point and I get what he is driving at....

But bringing this to reality...you need to understand that the courses u listed as useless and should be scrapped are actually what universities re there for in the first place.

The second list of courses u put there are very vital also, but they re actually what COLLEGES are established for. And by colleges, I don't mean secondary schools....

Now, what colleges do is that they train you on how best to do things and when, universities teach you the theory behind why things re done that way and how to improve it.

What we should push for is a system where everyone is made to do some years in colleges before moving to the uni if still interested.

Truth be told...colleges make you an entrepreneur, universities make u a consultant....so in Nigeria today...we have 99% consultants and 1% performers....so who will employ who? Food for thought.
You are so right. In fact.,you are more than right. God bless you for this very post.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Akinife03(m): 4:37pm On Jul 19, 2015
Op,ur opinion tho. But i debunk ur claim,,perhaps,u ar high on *weed*...#snEH
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jul 19, 2015
ok...
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by andrewutibe: 5:07pm On Jul 19, 2015
Na wa 4 u o I hope u are not under the influence of Alcohol
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Seunpaul01(m): 5:44pm On Jul 19, 2015
kheni28:

WAT COURSE DID U study?
Petrochemical engineering. Why do u ask?
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Eleniyan15: 6:00pm On Jul 19, 2015
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
op abeg delete dis post
.....sociology........
make I unfollow dis post jawe.

...nah wack......
Sociology is the study of social life, social change, and the
social causes and consequences of human behavior.
Sociologists investigate the structure of groups,
organizations, and societies, and how people interact within
these contexts. Since all human behavior is social, the
subject matter of sociology ranges from the intimate family
to the hostile mob; from organized crime to religious cults;
from the divisions of race, gender, and social class to the
shared beliefs of a common culture; and from the sociology
of work to the sociology of sports. In fact, few fields have
such broad scope and relevance for research, theory, and
application of knowledge.
Sociology provides many distinctive perspectives on the
world, generating new ideas and critiquing the old. The field
also offers a range of research techniques that can be
applied to virtually any aspect of social life: street crime and
delinquency, corporate downsizing, how people express
emotions, welfare or education reform, how families differ
and flourish, or problems of peace and war. Because
sociology addresses the most challenging issues of our
time, it is a rapidly expanding field whose potential is
increasingly tapped by those who craft policies and create
programs.

U can work as an advice worker,social researcher,social worker, youth worker,charity fundraiser, housing manager,human resource officer, probation officer,public relation officer

Also as a criminal justice,law enforcer,parole system,human resource,human developer,leadership trainer,social service, child care,youth service, census bureau,social science analyst, policy analyst, homeland security, alumni relation, placement offices, educational researcher, child welfare, public relations

sociology it a versatile course abeg.....let your pastor pray for you.....
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 19, 2015
Eleniyan15:
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
op abeg delete dis post
.....sociology........
make I unfollow dis post jawe.

...nah wack......
Sociology is the study of social life, social change, and the
social causes and consequences of human behavior.
Sociologists investigate the structure of groups,
organizations, and societies, and how people interact within
these contexts. Since all human behavior is social, the
subject matter of sociology ranges from the intimate family
to the hostile mob; from organized crime to religious cults;
from the divisions of race, gender, and social class to the
shared beliefs of a common culture; and from the sociology
of work to the sociology of sports. In fact, few fields have
such broad scope and relevance for research, theory, and
application of knowledge.
Sociology provides many distinctive perspectives on the
world, generating new ideas and critiquing the old. The field
also offers a range of research techniques that can be
applied to virtually any aspect of social life: street crime and
delinquency, corporate downsizing, how people express
emotions, welfare or education reform, how families differ
and flourish, or problems of peace and war. Because
sociology addresses the most challenging issues of our
time, it is a rapidly expanding field whose potential is
increasingly tapped by those who craft policies and create
programs.

U can work as an advice worker,social researcher,social worker, youth worker,charity fundraiser, housing manager,human resource officer, probation officer,public relation officer

Also as a criminal justice,law enforcer,parole system,human resource,human developer,leadership trainer,social service, child care,youth service, census bureau,social science analyst, policy analyst, homeland security, alumni relation, placement offices, educational researcher, child welfare, public relations

sociology it a versatile course abeg.....let your pastor pray for you.....

In fact I dunno what to say again. Well said tho, u must be a sociologist
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Eleniyan15: 6:19pm On Jul 19, 2015
mhiZ
when I was young trust me.... In primary school I do tell pple, I wana b lawyer.... till Ma fucking moment after waec exam, course Ma mom will alwaz tell me if you study law I will disown you....the reason was the risk behind it.

I made a lot of research trust me am a guy who can do and undo....den I finally decide to that as a versatile nigga, I can only do a versatile course!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shoutout to all d sociologist out there
Re: Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities by Abugab(m): 6:24pm On Jul 19, 2015
DTOBS:

right: very very right,but the problem is do we have the structure on ground(I mean system working)

Because we don't have the structure on ground for the presumed right courses that takes it wrong.
What we be the gain if there is no structure on ground?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Female Student Dies In The ATBU Bauchi Bridge Collapse (Photos) / See Photos From A Classroom In Kano State. / Pay Your Third Term School Fees, FG Tells Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.