Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,095 members, 7,818,283 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? (44716 Views)

The Fake Prophecy About TB Joshua’s Death Is Not From Me - Prophet / Biblical Week Indicates The Second Coming Of Christ To Be Between 2030 - 2035 / Jesus Has Come the second time And Gone!!! (see Evidence) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by Ben6ene: 3:35pm On Jul 26, 2015
D write up doesn't make sense because d write did not apply wisdom becos he neglected d source of wisdom. Jesus is coming back! Say Amen and be blessed!
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by Ben6ene: 3:36pm On Jul 26, 2015
D write up doesn't make sense because d writer did not apply wisdom becos he neglected d source of wisdom. Jesus is coming back! Say Amen and be blessed!

1 Like

Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by RealEstate38: 3:37pm On Jul 26, 2015
Affordable LANDS FOR SALE and APARTMENTS FOR RENT at "33" area of Onitsha Anambra state, interested persons should contact KEN on 08136517728
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by chysam: 3:37pm On Jul 26, 2015
You are not too far away from Schizophrenia.
When you say you are the last generation, how much longer will your generation last?.Do you at all understand what the term "UNIVERSE" mean?. The earth we live in is like a grain of sand out of all the sand in the whole universe.Will God destroy the whole universe because of this single grain of sand?. Please only say things you know and stop spreading imagination.

starlingslimnet:
My brother am glad I made it here early so I can share my Spiritual
blessings with you.

In asking question you have done well for that is how the Apostles learn from Christ, asking questions on things they cannot comprehend.You have done a good thing.

Concerning the Scripture you quoted brother...". . .this generation will by no means pass away until
these things happen. . ." I will have you understand brother that Christ was beforehand describing some events pertaining to his second coming and the end.The "This" then in the word of Christ refers to the generation which all this things will take place.And all these didn't take place in the time of Apostles for there is no "Abomination that causes desolation". Christ then is speaking of a generation in which the abomination that makes desolate will be committed and truly, this(That do abomination that makes desolate) shall not pass away till all things Christ describe take place.

And I tell you brother we are that generation, the "this" Christ Speaks of is this generation. Surely I tell you all these shall take place in this generation. We are the last generation.

So my brother... you have started the race... strengthen what is weak in you and run the race. to the end.

For surely I saw a golden ring in the clouds of heaven and a white dove following therefore. Prepare for the coming of the Lord for the hour of our redemption is near..

So brother I dedicate this song to you and all Christains on Nairaland who is waiting for the coming of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

A Song Of Encouragement written by Olaleye Olusanya(Starlingslimnet)

Title: We Are Marching On To Zion

In His Power He Comes
In His Glory He Rise
Lift Up Your Heads And See Our King
Coming In The Clouds

Chorus

And With A Shout Of Joy,Mighty Voice
We Are Marching On To Zion
The Great City Of Our God

We Are Marching On Forward
We Are Growing Up In Grace
As One Body We Stand
In Jesus Our Lord

Chorus

Out Of Sheol They Come
Out Of Bonds They Are Loosed
Crying Out With A Mighty Voice
Death. Where Is Thy Sting?

Chorus

©2015
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by ben1daEbiri(m): 3:40pm On Jul 26, 2015
MrPresident:
there was never a jesus, christianity is a scam.

invented by paul who suffered an epileptic seizure when he fell from a horse on his way to damascus.

epilepsy is known to cause severe psychiatric disorders such as abnormal mental vision and illusory perceptions
another atheist on the loose
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 26, 2015
chysam:
You are not too far away from Schizophrenia.
When you say you are the last generation, how much longer will your generation last?.Do you at all understand what the term "UNIVERSE" mean?. The earth we live in is like a grain of sand out of all the sand in the whole universe.Will God destroy the whole universe because of this single grain of sand?. Please only say things you know and stop spreading imagination.

God has spoken.
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by sledge001(m): 3:45pm On Jul 26, 2015
Reiyvinn:
Being a Christian is really one hell of a job.

Aside the Church-bound duties required of "true" Christians (which are often quite inconvenient and demanding), one mustn't ignore the emotional, mental and psychological War that goes on in the mind of those one who are quite knowledgable or well versed with the Bible.

Trying hard to resist the doubts they tend to encounter is the order of the day for those who read wide and do lots of research in an aim to either justify or investigate their long-held faith. I was no exception.

Ranging from the bloodstained Old Testament to Scientific ludicrosities, Blatant absurdities to historical flaws, authenticities and many many more, I couldn't help giving Doubt a chance.

About this time last year, I wrote a piece here on Nairaland: Questions That Baffle Me About God
and even though it never made frontpage, I'm glad it had the amount of audience it did.

Now I'm here with something quite troubling; something a logical mind should find really really disturbing.

I remember having a dialogue with a Pastor friend some weeks ago when he was on an outreach preaching about the Second Coming of Christ and why everyone should "mend their ways".

I can't quite remember his reaction when I asked "Don't you think this Jesus is taking too long? Are you sure he's coming at all?"

but I do remember him sarcastically replying me by saying "Uhmm.... Our Lord is warming up his whips for strongheads like you, so chill..."

Well, I chuckled. But then, I needed him to go into his Bible to see for himself why I asked such a question, so I directed him to Mark 13:30 which states:

". . .this generation will by no means pass away until these things happen. . ."
(with "these things" referring to the end time, tribulation and the Second Coming talked about in the preceding verses).

He laughed. "Cheap!" He said.

"You don't understand Greek so you wouldn't know" (hehehehe does he understand Greek? Well.... I wouldn't know either lol)

"The word 'generation' in Greek is 'genea' which Lexicons define as 'people of the same kind' so from Acts 11:26, we can tell whom these people are. They are Christians, which means Christ-like. So Christians will never pass away until the Son comes". He concluded.

That was amazing. Perfect wordplay. However, the context of this passage made it clear that it literally referred to those still alive at the time. He refused; holding still to his explanation. Then I took him to Matthew 16:28 which states:

"Truly I say to you that there are some of those standing here that will not taste death at all until they see the Son of man coming in His Kingdom."
(also found in Mark 9:1; Luke 9:27)

His face didn't look so bright afterwards even though he tried making me take his explanation for an answer and how I needed the Holy Spirit to understand certain passages and so on, it was obvious that he was well aware of these passages and the problems the pose and willingly ignored them for fear of doubt (I once did that too). So he never expected it to be used in a dialogue with him. He obviously didn't research on it the way he should have and that's the same thing most Christians do today. Their fear of doubt has amounted to their fear of knowledge and information and honestly, it's really unfortunate.

Now, back to the passage, we all know that everyone "standing [t]here" are now dead, buried and forgotten (that's assuming Jesus even existed)

So what does that make of the Second Coming? A Failed Prophecy or not?

Let's be honest with ourselves.

Thank you.
Hmm. You really make me laugh. If you were ever really a Christian, you would never have written these things above. Anyway, you need to remember the fact that the Bible is not a story book or some historical book you just pick and flip through. Just like your friend told u, you will never understand what is written there in no matter how simple it seems, without the Holy Spirit (there I go again right?). The things of the spirit are foolishness to the carnal minded. My dear friend, there is a second coming.
@Jollyjoy, you don't believe things just because you were told or you have grown up hearing same. You believe because you have a conviction from the depth of your heart.

2 Likes

Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by lepasharon(f): 3:48pm On Jul 26, 2015
frosbel:
My question is, how much pain, suffering, loss and mishaps must mankind endure before the end comes ?

Is suffering just for the sake of it and why can it not end now ??

What about 80% of mankind who are not expecting a second coming, was it intentional to keep them in doubt and then catch them by surprise ?

And for those who keep saying use the Holy Spirit, is this not the easiest way out of matters beyond your comprehension ?

While I still harbour hope that one day God will make things anew , it is very confusing that no end or respite seems to be in sight at the present for the plight of mankind.

Just become agnostic already
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by BY1434(m): 3:49pm On Jul 26, 2015
Atlantian:
Religion was a useful weapon of control in the early centuries. Religions are just traditions ritualized and customs spiritualized. The intelligence of each religion has more to do with the knowledge base of their inventors.

Islam happens to be more barbaric, Christianity is less barbaric, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism etc are a little less barbaric and eccentric. But in all of these religions there are multiples of lies interwoven to cover other lies.

If Jesus is coming back, that means he is presently somewhere doing press-up and waiting for the alarm bells to ring. My question is, which planet is Jesus. I have heard so much about heaven and I ask, which planet is heaven. Most answers says its spiritual and I ask then Jesus is spiritual and has to be born into human flesh for us to see him, so he cant possibly descend from sky.

I read those days that Jesus ascended to the sky, and I ask, oxygen is not available up there and no planet around is habitable by human body, where is he ?

Hell fire issue is another one that puzzles the mind. Can fire burn spirit, cos I believe we only go to hell when we die and live as spirit. So, fire can burn spirit.

I have given up on religion, I cant actually chose to be stupid when I know better.

Yes Islam has to b barbaric to drain dead like you

You said how could ffire burn spirit,somone has asked an islamic scholar simiilar question that howwill fire burn satan since he was created from the same fire,and the shaykh respond by simple logic,human being were also from clay,but when one beat the other,he feel the pain,so also will satan feel the pain despite he was created from fire

Am enjoying the debate,though am a muslim
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by chysam: 3:59pm On Jul 26, 2015
Comrade are you a Jehovah's witness?. Your own explanations sounds reasonable.

ayoku777:

You know, everytime we say you need the Holy Spirit to understand the bible, athiests and unbelievers always think that is one excuse we christian use to explain away verses we can't rationalize. But it is not! The truth is you honestly do need the Holy Spirit to understand the bible.

Matthew 16v28 -Verily I say unto you, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in His kingdom.

Throughout the ministry of Jesus, He preached, "Repent : for the kingdom of God is at hand or near" -(Matthew 4v17, Mark 1v15)

The question then is, If Jesus preached that the kingdom was near, when did the kingdom come?

Daniel 2v44 -And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand forever.

In the days of which kings will the kingdom of God be set up? In the days of the kings of the roman empire.

(Note -The roman empire is the fourth kingdom represented with the legs of iron, and feet of iron with clay). Please read the entire chapter of Daniel 2; to see the dream of Nebuchadnezzar and the interpretation of Daniel.

According to the prophecy of Daniel in his interpretation of the dream of Nebuchadnezzer; the kingdom of God will come and be set up when Jesus rose from the dead. Because Jesus was the stone cut out without hands (Daniel 2v34), that struck the feet of the statue; to set up the kingdom of God that later became a great mountain (Daniel 2v35).

So the kingdom of God came and was set up when Jesus died and rose. The kingdom has come since when Jesus rose. Presently it is still being established in the hearts of men; and in the age to come, it will be established in the earth. But it has come.

So the writers of the scripture did not goof, and Jesus did not make an unfulfilled prophecy when He said;

Verily I say unto you, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in His kingdom.

Because those who saw Christ in the flesh after His resurrection, in His glorified incorruptible body; actually "saw the Son of man come in His kingdom". Because at the resurrection of Christ was when the kingdom was set up.

And many people were indeed standing there when Jesus was talking who did not die until they had seen Jesus in the flesh after His resurrection, in His glorified incorruptible body.

1Cor 15v5-8 -And He (Jesus) was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:

After that, He was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

After that, He was seen of James; then of all the apostles.

Amd last of all He was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

Those who had the privilege of seeing the resurrected Christ in the flesh, in His glorified incorruptible body, can be said to have seen the son of man come in His kingdom. Because that was when the kingdom was set up according to Daniel 2

The coming of Christ that will be announced with a shout, the voice of the archangel and the trump of God; is actually when the kingdom will be phyically established on the earth and Jesus will be bodily enthroned on the earth. But that is not when the kingdom came, the kingdom came at His resurrection.

When people don't know how to interprete the scriptures, they say Jesus goofed, or that the writers made a mistake. That's not true. You really do need the Holy Spirit.

God bless.
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 26, 2015
malvisguy212:
after Jesus took john James and peter then he say those word to them ,but the prophecy was directed to john, peter and James were given a glimpse of christ second coming glory and in revelation john was given the vision of christ judging the world.
Out of curiosity, are you a jehovah witness before converting to atheists ?
sorry to dabble in o oga malvis but which john are u talking about is it john the baptist?if it is,didn't he die before the bible was written?so how could he have revealed what was reveqled to him and to whom did he tell his revelation to?
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by Tripletimmy(m): 4:26pm On Jul 26, 2015
Now, back to the passage, we all know that everyone [color=#990000][b]"standing [t]here"

I guess u ar a GNS lecturer in UNN. U sabi English o. Anyway! Wht a pity!!
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by TheDauraMallam: 4:30pm On Jul 26, 2015
starlingslimnet:
My brother am glad I made it here early so I can share my Spiritual blessings with you.

In asking question you have done well for that is how the Apostles learn from Christ, asking questions on things they cannot comprehend.You have done a good thing.

Concerning the Scripture you quoted brother...". . .this generation will by no means pass away until
these things happen. . ." I will have you understand brother that Christ was beforehand describing some events pertaining to his second coming and the end.The "This" then in the word of Christ refers to the generation which all this things will take place.And all these didn't take place in the time of Apostles for there is no "Abomination that causes desolation". Christ then is speaking of a generation in which the abomination that makes desolate will be committed and truly, this(That do abomination that makes desolate) shall not pass away till all things Christ describe take place.

And I tell you brother we are that generation, the "this" Christ Speaks of is this generation. Surely I tell you all these shall take place in this generation. We are the last generation.

So my brother... you have started the race... strengthen what is weak in you and run the race. to the end.

For surely I saw a golden ring in the clouds of heaven and a white dove following therefore. Prepare for the coming of the Lord for the hour of our redemption is near..

So brother I dedicate this song to you and all Christains on Nairaland who is waiting for the coming of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

A Song Of Encouragement written by Olaleye Olusanya(Starlingslimnet)

Title: We Are Marching On To Zion

In His Power He Comes
In His Glory He Rise
Lift Up Your Heads And See Our King
Coming In The Clouds

Chorus

We Are Marching On Forward
We Are Growing Up In Grace
As One Body We Stand
In Jesus Our Lord

Chorus

Out Of Sheol They Come
Out Of Bonds They Are Loosed
Crying Out With A Mighty Voice
Death. Where Is Thy Sting?

Chorus

©2015

You are nothing but delusional.
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by weimar: 4:38pm On Jul 26, 2015
The doctrine of the second of Christ is really hard to understand. I am hopeful that my time you finish reading the this detail and clear explanation, you will gain full understanding.

You noticed that Christ prophecy about His second coming is of two folds. One story that reveals both the time for the destruction of Jerusalem and then one that describes the second coming of Christ. Here we go and enjoy the lengthen read.
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by ozyblazze: 4:39pm On Jul 26, 2015
You know most times I've had questions like this pass thru me.

The 2nd coming,as it has been prophesied,is going to be fulfilled . The signs are already around us.
Nation against nation,family against one another,famine,natural disasters,false prophets etc. These are things u can EASILY see anywhere u go (e.g the first few pages of The Punch)
Still some "scholars" have analysed the Bible soo much that you alone reading,if not careful might be roped in and start questioning your faith.
God I'd longsuffering,a 1OOO yrs like a day before Him.
The time is coming ,no need to analyse. Go to God in prayer and it'll be revealed unto u that are in doubt.
He that has ears-let him hear

Shalom .
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jul 26, 2015
Mellin:
Mr. Why did u mention me here?

Sorry no vex.
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by malvisguy212: 4:47pm On Jul 26, 2015
Emmeritus:
sorry to dabble in o oga malvis but which john are u talking about is it john the baptist?if it is,didn't he die before the bible was written?so how could he have revealed what was reveqled to him and to whom did he tell his revelation to?
john the beloved. One of Jesus disciple.
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by omojeesu(m): 4:52pm On Jul 26, 2015
As for if Jesus ever existed, you can hold on to what you think. It doesn't change anything. One day now or in eternity you will discover. I sincerely pray you not only know now, but ask Him to accept you with all your sins and rebellion. He will receive you if He knows you mean it. Because, though you've not stated so, I suspect you may not believe in God nor eternity.

2. Regarding Matthew 16.28 and similar ones in Mark and Luke, please note:

Romans 8:6-7
For to be CARNALLY minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal MIND is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the NATURAL man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are FOOLISHNESS unto him: neither can he know them, because they are SPIRITUALLY DISCERNED.

Your piece is mischievous to mock Christians and our faith. it is not a new thing. This mockery will continue and get worse UNTIL Jesus Christ returns. So, carry go, if you like. Jesus Himself was mocked. For us we know that it's an END TIME thing.

Jude 1:18
How that THEY TOLD YOU THERE SHOULD BE MOCKERS in THE LAST TIME, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.

Hebrews 11:36
And others had TRIAL of CRUEL MOCKINGS and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:

This online commentary link may help you.

http://www.meetingwithchrist.com/Some%20standing%20here%20shall%20not%20taste%20death%20-%20Mt%2016(27-28).htm

2 Peter 3:16
As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are SOME THINGS HARD TO BE UNDERSTOOD, which they that are UNLEARNED and UNSTABLE WREST, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

There are over 300 prophesies in the Old Testament of the Bible about the conception, birth ( 1st coming) life, ministry, death, resurrection and 2nd coming of Jesus. The New Testament is also replete with the 2nd coming.

You picked A VERSE and tried, like satan did to Eve to create DOUBT in readers' hearts. We have been prepared for this:

2 Peter 3:3-4

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by exco90(m): 4:54pm On Jul 26, 2015
davien:
Standing in this context means to survive....and remember a day to god is like a thousand years...so the surviving generations are still there..

That's how a christian distorts plain english and reality.. grin

If a day to God is like a thousand years.. So u mean after God worked thousands of years in a period of six days.. That means he also rest for several years for the work of six days on the seventh days.. Wen xtians tries to hide away from a lie.. They shot their sef again on anoda
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 26, 2015
emmyrichie:
Verily!! I say onto thee. The Son of God will surely come, definitely but maybe not today.

Most times I'm forced to think that the anger of God on the last day will be too much, that's why Jesus hasn't come yet despite all these disgusting atrocities of gay marriages, in breeding, ritual killings, insurgency etc.

Another thing is man's unquenchable thirst for knowledge and adaptation. E.g seeking for ways to make other neighbouring planets habitat-able.

Perhaps, he intrigued by man's effort to adapt or devising other ways through which he will make those quests fruitless.

And what about the innocent kids, babies and countable good people? Perhaps, we are enjoying their graces.

Maybe we re in the last phase which is also known as the grace period. Who knows?
how is inbreeding an atrocity?
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by Orikinla(m): 5:14pm On Jul 26, 2015
OP, needs more knowledge.
Pray for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK9Nl3BcH3U
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by sogodihno: 5:47pm On Jul 26, 2015
MrPresident:

invented by paul who suffered an epileptic seizure when he fell from a horse on his way to damascus.

epilepsy is known to cause severe psychiatric disorders such as abnormal mental vision and illusory perceptions
I pity ur life
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by Charliewyt: 5:53pm On Jul 26, 2015
MrPresident:

Is there any other book apart from the bible and maybe as old as the bible that can convince us that paul felled from a horse ?,
if yes, pls whats the title and name of the author,
if no, why do u choose to believe only on the portion of the bible that talked about paul falling from a horse and decides not to believe on other portions that talked about the existence of jesus christ?
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by hijodedios: 6:03pm On Jul 26, 2015
op untill you go back and read the original text of that mark 13;30 in its greek version,you will still keep doubting and questioning your faith,and when you do that please remenber to come back here and make another post about your findings,may Gods wisdom enlighten you before you go astray.
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by TheDauraMallam: 6:36pm On Jul 26, 2015
free2ryhme:

If you quote says "all religion is going to hell" then heaven is real.

Stop contradicting and accept the truth Jesus is coming very soon. Just like Hell is real, heaven also exist

Delusion everywhere
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by TheDauraMallam: 6:38pm On Jul 26, 2015
Charliewyt:
Is there any other book apart from the bible and maybe as old as the bible that can convince us that paul felled from a horse ?,
if yes, pls whats the title and name of the author,
if no, why do u choose to believe only on the portion of the bible that talked about paul falling from a horse and decides not to believe on other portions that talked about the existence of jesus Chris ist?

I'm an atheist. But I love your argument.

MrPresident.
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 26, 2015
lepasharon:

Just become agnostic already

I hope it does not get to that point, though at this point my former belief system is in constant turmoil.
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 26, 2015
Make use of your brain pls.

OlaoChi:

The Quran that said the sun rests in a pond?
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jul 26, 2015
Dontintin:
I feel very disgusted at times when fellow Christians become abrasive even with language from the bible, when people share very thoughtful questions that may actually seem reasonable at face value. I'd like to encourage that when questions are asked like the op of this, please let's answer the question. Let's try to avoid insults. And please don't give another quotation that does not address the question asked. Let's be civil. We don't win by placing ourselves on a 'holier than thou' pedestal. Some these atheits are better people than us when we judge thier lives.
For the question raised, I think it has been addressed a little though in a manner I am not happy with.
The coming there is not same as the second coming, I refer you to Mathew 13:38 and 41.
Also I will advice that the bible as it is today can be a death trap. Let's not read and interprete in isolation. Look for possible different explanations.

Nice one. My posts may be among the ones you are referring to. I will be more courteous next time by God's grace.
Someone asked a question and different and conflicting answers were given, this division in Christianity is seriously setting us back.
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by nacaz4real(m): 7:44pm On Jul 26, 2015
Reiyvinn:
Being a Christian is really one hell of a job.

Aside the Church-bound duties required of "true" Christians (which are often quite inconvenient and demanding), one mustn't ignore the emotional, mental and psychological War that goes on in the mind of those one who are quite knowledgable or well versed with the Bible.

Trying hard to resist the doubts they tend to encounter is the order of the day for those who read wide and do lots of research in an aim to either justify or investigate their long-held faith. I was no exception.

Ranging from the bloodstained Old Testament to Scientific ludicrosities, Blatant absurdities to historical flaws, authenticities and many many more, I couldn't help giving Doubt a chance.

About this time last year, I wrote a piece here on Nairaland: Questions That Baffle Me About God
and even though it never made frontpage, I'm glad it had the amount of audience it did.

Now I'm here with something quite troubling; something a logical mind should find really really disturbing.

I remember having a dialogue with a Pastor friend some weeks ago when he was on an outreach preaching about the Second Coming of Christ and why everyone should "mend their ways".

I can't quite remember his reaction when I asked "Don't you think this Jesus is taking too long? Are you sure he's coming at all?"

but I do remember him sarcastically replying me by saying "Uhmm.... Our Lord is warming up his whips for strongheads like you, so chill..."

Well, I chuckled. But then, I needed him to go into his Bible to see for himself why I asked such a question, so I directed him to Mark 13:30 which states:

". . .this generation will by no means pass away until these things happen. . ."
(with "these things" referring to the end time, tribulation and the Second Coming talked about in the preceding verses).

He laughed. "Cheap!" He said.

"You don't understand Greek so you wouldn't know" (hehehehe does he understand Greek? Well.... I wouldn't know either lol)

"The word 'generation' in Greek is 'genea' which Lexicons define as 'people of the same kind' so from Acts 11:26, we can tell whom these people are. They are Christians, which means Christ-like. So Christians will never pass away until the Son comes". He concluded.

That was amazing. Perfect wordplay. However, the context of this passage made it clear that it literally referred to those still alive at the time. He refused; holding still to his explanation. Then I took him to Matthew 16:28 which states:

"Truly I say to you that there are some of those standing here that will not taste death at all until they see the Son of man coming in His Kingdom."
(also found in Mark 9:1; Luke 9:27)

His face didn't look so bright afterwards even though he tried making me take his explanation for an answer and how I needed the Holy Spirit to understand certain passages and so on, it was obvious that he was well aware of these passages and the problems the pose and willingly ignored them for fear of doubt (I once did that too). So he never expected it to be used in a dialogue with him. He obviously didn't research on it the way he should have and that's the same thing most Christians do today. Their fear of doubt has amounted to their fear of knowledge and information and honestly, it's really unfortunate.

Now, back to the passage, we all know that everyone "standing [t]here" are now dead, buried and forgotten (that's assuming Jesus even existed)

So what does that make of the Second Coming? A Failed Prophecy or not?

Let's be honest with ourselves.

Thank you.
My brother i once asked myself all these questions. I studied the bible to a point I started to question the existence of God. Until much later in my life i came to realize so many things we were thought at sunday school were not the truth about God, when i mean God I mean JHWH(CHECK) the one whose name appears more than 7000 times in the Dead Sea manuscripts, you hardly find his name in our modern bibles(I wonder why?!). Well I hope you understood the hebrew book of Genesis and the other 5 books known as the Pentateuch(accredited to to Moses), that book tells us about man's creation and how his trouble started and also the promise JHWH...So many prophets foretold the ''End'', Ezekiel, Daniel, Isaiah, Apostle John and Jesus himself gave insights into the last days. What will happen during the Last Day's? You may wonder. Not to digress from the topic I'll give you an insight but I must tell you something very important, the truth will be made known to those who seek sincerely, the truth is a gift from God(JHWH), keep seeking with a heart of sincerity and as he promised he will show you(1chro28:9, 1pet1:10). The last days as we now know does not mean the end of mankind as depicted in movies. No No No. It is the beginning of a new world under Jesus christ where there would be no more troubles, no tears and no death, the kingdom, a restoration of the lost Adamic life (Da 2:44; 7:13-14, Isa 25:8; 33:24 as foretold by the prophets of old). All governments that we know today will be no more, they will cease to exist(Rev 11:18, Rev 21:1-cool. This is the Good News, that God has been passing down from one generation to another, up till our time. This has come with so much price, as a lot of people have been killed on account of this and this news has been largely infiltrated with lies. To ensure that the truth remains and is not completely destroyed till the day of the last trumpet there have been people chosen by God from each tribe of Israel and in each generation till our time to do this Job, some are dead now(they will surely be resurrected) while some will not see death as they would be transformed during the last trumpet. They are the infamous 144,000 including the apostles. They will rule over the New kingdom with Jesus Christ(Rev 14:1; 5:10, 1Cor 15:51-55, 1Tim 6:15, 2Tim 2:12). The bible goes further to tell us more about these ones that during that day they'll be with you then the next minute they are gone, to the shock of everyone who will be there to witness such an event. I will stop for now, I hope this piece give you a little insight into the future. Keeping seeking and u shall find. (WWW.JW.org)
Re: The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? by KanwuliaJara: 7:49pm On Jul 26, 2015
MrPresident:

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Pastor Transforms A Madman Into A Responsible Figure (Photos) / Man Sentenced To Death In Pakistan, 'I Don't Follow Anyone Other Than Jesus' / Photos Of 'Jesus Soap' That "Washes Sins Away"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.