Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari (52445 Views)

Militants & Cultists Surrender Their Weapons To Okorocha In Owerri (Photos) / Nigerian Military: Some Officers Selling Weapons To Boko Haram - AP / Ukraine Confirms Export Of Weapons To Nigeria In Fight Against Boko Haram (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by Justcash(m): 7:52am On Jul 23, 2015
After a four-day official visit in the United States of America, President Muhammadu Buhari will be returning to Nigeria today with no pledge of concrete military assistance against Boko Haram terrorists from his hosts.

The US government told the Nigerian leader that its arms are tied by an American law, the Leahy Act, which prevents it from selling arms to countries with human rights abuse records.

President Buhari, who is returning home displeased, told the US government that the refusal by America to arm Nigerian troops because of “so-called human rights violations” and “unproven allegations,” would only help Boko Haram.

A global human rights watch group, Amnesty International, had recently accused the Nigerian military under former President Goodluck Jonathan of gross human rights abuses in the prosecution of the war on terrorists.

The Nigerian military forces had denied the allegation which President Buhari pledged to investigate.

Buhari “departs with little practical military assistance in his battle against the Islamist militants who have turned the northeast of his country into a bloody war zone,” the Associated Press (AP) reported on Wednesday.

The US government has vowed to help Nigeria defeat the insurgency but it is prohibited under law from sending weapons to countries that fail to tackle human rights abuses.

“Regretably, the blanket application of the Leahy Law by the United States on the grounds of unproven allegations of human rights violations levelled against our forces has denied us access to appropriate strategic weapons to prosecute the war,” Buhari said.

Addressing an audience of policy-makers, activists and academics in Washington, Buhari complained that Nigerian forces had been left “largely impotent” in the face of Boko Haram’s campaign of kidnapping and bombings.

“They do not possess the appropriate weapons and technology which we could have had if the so-called human rights violations had not been an obstacle,” he said.

“Unwittingly, and I dare say unintentionally, the application of the Leahy Law Amendment by the United States government has aided and abetted the Boko Haram terrorists.”

He appealed to both the White House and the US Congress to find a way around the law — introduced by Senator Patrick Leahy in 1997 — and to supply Nigerian troops with high-tech weapons under a deal “with minimal strings.”

Since 2009, Boko Haram has been trying to establish an Islamist breakaway state in a conflict that has seen 15,000 people killed and 1.5 million displaced.

The group’s brutality and in particular the mass kidnapping and enslavement of schoolgirls has shocked world opinion.

In June, rights watchdog Amnesty International said there was sufficient evidence to launch an investigation into senior Nigerian officers for war crimes.

In a 133-page report, the group blamed the army for the extrajudicial execution of 1,200 people and the torture or arbitrary detention of thousands more.

Buhari insists that the charges are not proven, but he has replaced his senior military commanders and has promised to investigate the allegations.

Source: http://dailytimes.com.ng/us-refuses-sell-weapons-nigeria/

3 Likes

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by Misternas89(m): 7:53am On Jul 23, 2015
Hmmm,so they aren't ready to assist due to Leahy law or what? I don't blame d American anyways but my country where the dignity and respect was no where to be found anymore. I have a dream dt the country will still be a better place if not the best.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by horlabiyi(m): 7:53am On Jul 23, 2015
America. Smh

1 Like

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by deniyor: 7:54am On Jul 23, 2015
Buy Russian, Israeli or German. Even North Korea

Infact, lets start manufacturing our own guns. If they can, why can't we?

176 Likes 7 Shares

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by Flets: 7:56am On Jul 23, 2015
Lol

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by deniyor: 7:58am On Jul 23, 2015
Where are those who were insulting Jona when they refused to help on BH earlier. America is not your friend, na only lip service they sari. It's all about controlling Nigeria and its resources. They care about their selfish interests. Nothing more. Don't be deceived.

But then I blame us for asking them for help in the first place. When you can't solve your problems yourself, and you invite others to help, you invite ridicule into your affairs.

240 Likes 17 Shares

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by Nobody: 7:59am On Jul 23, 2015
Waste of money......

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 8:00am On Jul 23, 2015
OK then let's try Russia and China. .... ...... they were my first choice anyway
Or way can we come back home and develop our own weapons to work in our country.... ..
. We have the brains. ..
.. . We have the raw materials
... the basic technology is there
.. . We have some cash
. .. Why can't we?

35 Likes

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by Nobody: 8:01am On Jul 23, 2015
I'm not suprised, PMB has been dumped by the same people who dumped GEJ. APC will never learn

133 Likes 9 Shares

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by stinggy(m): 8:01am On Jul 23, 2015
To Buhari or to Nigeria?
Must they buy from America?
Although Russian arms are expensive, Chinese arms are equally good and way cheaper.

PROVACATEUR:
I'm not suprised, PMB has been dumped by the same people who dumped GEJ. APC will never learn
How does this relate to arms sale?

5 Likes

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by pafra(m): 8:04am On Jul 23, 2015
deniyor:
Buy Russian or Chinese.

chinese? make you come reach where boko haram dey gun no gree shot? i beg ooo
lets be carefull with china weapons ooo

94 Likes 5 Shares

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by Femidigirits: 8:04am On Jul 23, 2015
Everyday I learn new things, today I just learnt about the Leahy Law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leahy_Law

Let us face the fact, this law was amended to spite Nigeria. When it was originally made in 1997 it had no mention of LGBT or human right in it. We need to look outside the US for help.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by ojun50(m): 8:07am On Jul 23, 2015
The only way for the this country to move forward is to fight our battle our self running after one country for help is jst a show of shame.

8 Likes

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 23, 2015
Dis is Nigeria's war not the Americans, let's forget who dey are and let's build a shield by ourselves, train our men and let's use the little weapons we av, a war is not only won by weapon . Naija must stand again, wey all the winch and wizard wey we get for naija sef grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by deniyor: 8:11am On Jul 23, 2015
pafra:

You guys just like to give Chinese a bad name based on wrong perceptions. Chinese make a lot of good products, infact most quality products you pay lots of money for are manufactured or assembled in China. The only reason they have cheap knock offs is to cater to the people who prefer quantity over quality.

But you are right sha, I wouldn't buy chinese guns. Changing to german lol

17 Likes

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 23, 2015
stinggy:
To Buhari or to Nigeria?
Must they buy from America?
Although Russian arms are expensive, Chinese arms are equally good and way cheaper.

How does this relate to arms sale?
GEJ was going Eastern Europe and the Orient in search of weapon but APC were propaganding BH with the help of US because of US policy against Russia and China. The same US has turned them down leaving them empty handed because I'm sure PMB has terminated the whole military contract GEJ entered into

114 Likes 4 Shares

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by vedaxcool(m): 8:12am On Jul 23, 2015
Struggle continues BH days are numbered regardless of this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by Nobody: 8:13am On Jul 23, 2015
Foolish buhari

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by Johnnoah1st: 8:14am On Jul 23, 2015
so 2.2billion used 4 the trip is wasted?

122 Likes 6 Shares

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by vislabraye(m): 8:17am On Jul 23, 2015
pafra:

Gej bought from them. China manufactures their weapons.
Any wsy Obama fuuucked up big time. I trust if it was Bush, we won't be having this problem. Let Obama get the hell out.

5 Likes

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by stinggy(m): 8:18am On Jul 23, 2015
PROVACATEUR:
GEJ was going Eastern Europe and the Orient in search of weapon but APC were propaganding BH with the help of US because of US policy against Russia and China. The same US has turned them down leaving them empty handed because I'm sure PMB has terminated the whole military contract GEJ entered into
Good point.

But let's wait and see if PMB will come out with something good, because GEJ did all 'going and searching' with Russians and Chinese and yet had to smuggle cash into SA reportedly for arms which means none of his moves worked.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by vislabraye(m): 8:22am On Jul 23, 2015
PROVACATEUR:
GEJ was going Eastern Europe and the Orient in search of weapon but APC were propaganding BH with the help of US because of US policy against Russia and China. The same US has turned them down leaving them empty handed because I'm sure PMB has terminated the whole military contract GEJ entered[b][/b] into

That will be very clueless. A smart president will think of continuity. What happened to the Executive Outcomes Gej employed ? They were doing a fantastic job.
Now they are gone, Bh are having a field day. I believe Buhari is not interested in fighting his brother, Bh. Can you believe that Bh has not recorded a single casualty ?
He released over a 100 Bh suspects without trial and even pulled down checkpoints. People are now wondering why there's increase in bomb explosion.

86 Likes 3 Shares

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by PunterTim(m): 8:22am On Jul 23, 2015
Hmm
Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by Nobody: 8:22am On Jul 23, 2015
Iranu.
So the #2.2bn was just a waste

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by Nobody: 8:23am On Jul 23, 2015
I don't knw why Nigeria and africans as a whole depends on American,when we have the facilities,equipment and abilities to tackles issues on our own,ok if USA is not yeilding why not change gear to anther level,germany,russia,Israel etc are there, this U.S this U.S that gotta stop joorh

5 Likes

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by Nobody: 8:23am On Jul 23, 2015
I don't knw why Nigeria and africans as a whole depends on American,when we have the facilities,equipment and abilities to tackles issues on our own,ok if USA is not yeilding why not change gear to another level,germany,russia,Israel etc are there, this U.S this U.S that gotta stop joorh

1 Like

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by CyberWolf: 8:25am On Jul 23, 2015
Very good grin ...let's see what the dullakpo will do..Will he use the GEJ way to source for arms? Only time will tell. Though it might sound bad, but I must say it...Our president is a very big fool angry ...A country that refused to sell arms to your country to fight the monsters, blocked every other source through we can buy weapon, invited you and you foolishly went like a moroon He hosted you for four days raping you through anvs like a cheap sluttt and at the end, dump you by the gutter..tufiakwa!!

102 Likes 10 Shares

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by hinwazaka: 8:29am On Jul 23, 2015
Obama would have sold arms to him but his hands are tied. The republican party controls much of the congress and they are not favourably disposed towards progressives. They would have slowed down any deal. Two years from this day, Buhari will begin to feel the heat from a republican president
If he is not careful, he will end up like Morsi and Hussein

5 Likes

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by Nobody: 8:31am On Jul 23, 2015
deniyor:
Buy Russian, Israeli or German. Even North Korea

Sorry...we can't. Only Biafra can.

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by feldido(m): 8:42am On Jul 23, 2015
I want to know the Purpose of Buhari's Visit to America I want to know the Purpose of Buhari's Visit to America

29 Likes

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by baralatie(m): 8:44am On Jul 23, 2015
PROVACATEUR:
so it means PMB has no choice than to take the Russia route and guess how the America felt and treated Gej!
I have been saying this it is either PMB gets down to working by immediately assembling a formidable think tank executive and increase the GAINS of GEJ administration or adopting lai Mohammed approach of blaming gej.

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari by pazienza(m): 8:54am On Jul 23, 2015
Nigeria can't buy from UK, Russia or China. US will make sure of that. The Caucasian powers are like wolves, they close ranks and hunt in packs when it comes to the affairs of the blacks.

The Chinese are not ready to challenge the US yet, they will simply play it cool. Nigeria can't depend on China.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Cattle Colonies In Nigerian States Begin Next Week – FG / A Soldier Posted To South Calls For Sprayers, Wants Peace & Unity / Fela Durotoye Cautioning A ‘Big Man’ To Join The Queue At Abuja Airport (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.