Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,712 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

What Can The Senate Do That The House Of Reps Cant And Vice Versa? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Can The Senate Do That The House Of Reps Cant And Vice Versa? (5431 Views)

List Of Newly Elected LG & LCDA Chairmen And Vice Chairmen In Lagos / 2019: ADP Zones The Presidency To The North And Vice President South East / Photos Of Hameed Ali Answering Questions In The Senate Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can The Senate Do That The House Of Reps Cant And Vice Versa? by kingviny: 10:57am On Jul 28, 2015
Do we really need bi-camera legislation in this country? what can the 109 senators do that the 360 reps cannot do? With Iran oil coming into the world market to further drive down the cost of oil thereby dwindling our income further, would it be wise to scrap one of these houses?

IF YOU SUPPORT, CLICK LIKE. IF YOU DONT, CLICK SHARE.

2 Likes

Re: What Can The Senate Do That The House Of Reps Cant And Vice Versa? by Suspect33(m): 10:58am On Jul 28, 2015
Wat are u saying
Re: What Can The Senate Do That The House Of Reps Cant And Vice Versa? by jaymejate: 11:06am On Jul 28, 2015
The Senate confirms PresidenCitizenshipointees (like Supreme Court Justice, Cabinet members, etc). The House does not.
The House of Representatives initiates bills for raising revenue and all impeachment proceedings. The Senate is not permitted to do either. In the matter of revenue bills, it may make changes in bills raised and passed in the House and send them back to the House for re-consideration, but these changes are more like suggestions. The Senate may not initiate impeachment proceedings, but it serves as the jury for the trial of the person who has been impeached.

Op, hope say you know say na Citizenship education question you ask sha?

Give me my 20mrks sharpaly

1 Like

Re: What Can The Senate Do That The House Of Reps Cant And Vice Versa? by babyfaceafrica: 11:18am On Jul 28, 2015
jaymejate:
The Senate confirms PresidenCitizenshipointees (like Supreme Court Justice, Cabinet members, etc). The House does not.
The House of Representatives initiates bills for raising revenue and all impeachment proceedings. The Senate is not permitted to do either. In the matter of revenue bills, it may make changes in bills raised and passed in the House and send them back to the House for re-consideration, but these changes are more like suggestions. The Senate may not initiate impeachment proceedings, but it serves as the jury for the trial of the person who has been impeached.

are u saying only the HOR can impeach any elected officer?...is that is so...how is it that the senate holds more power than HORm.or do they have smilar powers..and why do senate earn more respect and money than HOR...cos I think HOR do more work than senate...thanks
Re: What Can The Senate Do That The House Of Reps Cant And Vice Versa? by kingviny: 11:20am On Jul 28, 2015
[quote author=jaymejate post=36354395] The Senate confirms PresidenCitizenshipointees (like Supreme Court Justice, Cabinet members, etc). The House does not.

Thanks. But cant any of the two perform all these functions? do you know how much it cost this country running the two houses? and what has been the net benefit? power tussle, duplication of functions at times etc. I feel, a single house can handle all of this functions. If the executive can function as a single unit, why cant the legislature?

Forget what the 1999 constitution stipulates, it merely created jobs for the politicians.
Re: What Can The Senate Do That The House Of Reps Cant And Vice Versa? by kingviny: 7:45am On Aug 01, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Is Cyril Stober Back From Retirement?? [Photos] / Pro-Biafra Members & Their Flag Pictured In Front Of Trump Tower In New York. / Nnamdi Kanu: Reps Finally Breaks Silence (see What They Ordered Against DSS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.