Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,918 members, 7,952,681 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:05 PM

Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead (74283 Views)

Aderemi Sijuwade Buys Car For Labisi Folawiyo Hours Before Their Wedding / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Ooni Of Ife’s Last Photo Alive: Oba Sijuwade Rides Rolls Royce Car With Sons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jul 29, 2015
ManTiger:

If you have the better side of the story let's hear it!
We are talking about a first class oba who could get anything at a snap of his finger but chose war over peace?
Long Live Awujale, Oba Sikiru Adetona, This is a king who will never wag his tail after any politician, GEJ knows better.

And never you quote me and call me names if you don't want to incur ancestral curse.

Talking about curse, I would pull out epe, pour water on the ground chant what I should and place a curse that can never washed off on you. I won't stop there, I'll eat 9 seeds of atare, obi and orogbo with gin then top it off with proper olugbohun - please don't go there.

Ife and Modakeke conflict go way back, it is beyond Ooni Sijuade. If you're bright, you'd realize an Ooni's decision during crucial times is not usually his but that of the Ife people with whom the power lies to dethrone him and even bar his family from become King ever again. Does Ooni Abewela ring a bell?

Ooni seemed to be the face of it all but in actual sense, wealthy and connected Ife folks were possibly responsible for whatever weapons used during the war - there's no reason to go into details here.

Ife people have, still and would always want their land back. The lands occupied by Modakeke originally and does they have slowly encroached upon due to population explosion are some people's ancestral/family lands on the Ife side - some families have just the land their compound building has been on alone and lost every other lands they've held since time immemorial. Not only that, the encroachment is also sickening. Apart from lands alloted to Modakeke, why would any sane person claim ownership of lands they happen to have seized during the wars fought in previous times - lands not anywhere near Modakeke axis for that matter. Why would a Modakeke claim he has a farm around Mokuro, do you know far Mokuro is to Modakeke?

Once Ife populace make a decision, the Ooni becomes helpless, don't blame him. Even Oduduwa had limited powers - go to check how Ogboni Ooni started in Ife.

Quit with the emotions already sir, you're learned, objectivity should not be too hard for you.

Lastly, if Awujale or say Ijebu ran into deep conflicts that could becom violent with Alaake or Egba people, you'd understand Kingship is pretty much not what you think it is.

Enjoy.

3 Likes

Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by shotster50(m): 3:09pm On Jul 29, 2015
Didnt the man just resurrect?
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by ManTiger(m): 3:51pm On Jul 29, 2015
9jacrip:

Talking about curse, I would pull out epe, pour water on the ground chant what I should and place a curse that can never washed off on you. I won't stop there, I'll eat 9 seeds of atare, obi and orogbo with gin then top it off with proper olugbohun - please don't go there.

Ife and Modakeke conflict go way back, it is beyond Ooni Sijuade. If you're bright, you'd realize an Ooni's decision during crucial times is not usually his but that of the Ife people with whom the power lies to dethrone him and even bar his family from become King ever again. Does Ooni Abewela ring a bell?

Ooni seemed to be the face of it all but in actual sense, wealthy and connected Ife folks were possibly responsible for whatever weapons used during the war - there's no reason to go into details here.

Ife people have, still and would always want their land back. The lands occupied by Modakeke originally and does they have slowly encroached upon due to population explosion are some people's ancestral/family lands on the Ife side - some families have just the land their compound building has been on alone and lost every other lands they've held since time immemorial. Not only that, the encroachment is also sickening. Apart from lands alloted to Modakeke, why would any sane person claim ownership of lands they happen to have seized during the wars fought in previous times - lands not anywhere near Modakeke axis for that matter. Why would a Modakeke claim he has a farm around Mokuro, do you know far Mokuro is to Modakeke?

Once Ife populace make a decision, the Ooni becomes helpless, don't blame him. Even Oduduwa had limited powers - go to check how Ogboni Ooni started in Ife.

Quit with the emotions already sir, you're learned, objectivity should not be too hard for you.

Lastly, if Awujale or say Ijebu ran into deep conflicts that could becom violent with Alaake or Egba people, you'd understand Kingship is pretty much not what you think it is.

Enjoy.

I respect this piece you've written and I must confess there are evidences of truth, while you will as well understand that many of those lands were sold long time ago. The core modakeke started as a settlement with just a street, maybe the war wouldn't have happened if the then Ooni had given them a Baale when they requested for someone to represent their interest in the palace... I want you to understand as well that i'm not partisan but as a paramount ruler and powerful Ooni is, he could resolved this dispute without having to shed blood.

And for the curse, my apologies, though i'm not intimidated with those things you said but I believe there are better ways to settle dispute without having it degenerated into chaos.

Apologies.
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by macof(m): 4:22pm On Jul 29, 2015
gesundheit:

We are talking of worthy kings Awujale stands tall among his peers.

Awujale that doesn't seem to know his fathers came from Ife? The one who claims sudan origin?

Please, all these Obas are a joke. They have insulted the Yoruba enough

1 Like

Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by macof(m): 4:26pm On Jul 29, 2015
emekaokeke1978:
He should roast in d lagoon,I just hate d yoruba people damn bad

And it's this hate that will consume you
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by macof(m): 4:40pm On Jul 29, 2015
This to me is a just nonsense.

First of all, traditional Ooni doesn't leave Ife, because that tradition seems to have been annulled doesn't mean you take it to the level of "seeking medical treatment" abroad. So in the whole Yorubaland nothing could treat the Ooni?

And why is this news being heard so early? It happened just yesterday. ..yoruba traditions don't Annonce the passing of an Ooni. ..Its a taboo
In the good old days when Ooni doesn't show his face at all, people don't even know who the current one is.
Only the Oore of otun - Ekiti hears of it and that is after 9 days

This people make me sick with how they have no regard for age long traditions

Today you see it Obas calling themselves Christians and muslims

1 Like

Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by tpiadotcom: 5:59pm On Jul 29, 2015
macof:

And why is this news being heard so early? It happened just yesterday

I agree it spread rather too fast to be believed. That's suspicious.

In the good old days when Ooni doesn't show his face at all, people don't even know who the current one is.

true

9 days may be the amount of time it took to travel there back then.

However, this particular news is still media based right now.

The Ooni was hale and hearty, no reason to assume otherwise.

sometimes they don't know, people are not always informed.
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 29, 2015
ManTiger:

I respect this piece you've written and I must confess there are evidences of truth, while you will as well understand that many of those lands were sold long time ago. The core modakeke started as a settlement with just a street, maybe the war wouldn't have happened if the then Ooni had given them a Baale when they requested for someone to represent their interest in the palace... I want you to understand as well that i'm not partisan but as a paramount ruler and powerful Ooni is, he could resolved this dispute without having to shed blood.

And for the curse, my apologies, though i'm not intimidated with those things you said but I believe there are better ways to settle dispute without having it degenerated into chaos.

Apologies.

Apologies.

There is no way Ooni could have resolved the issue, it is very complex. It will all boil down requesting that both parties give certain things up but then Ife will be on the losing end - the lands.

Ife want Modakeke off their land if they cannot remain an a hamlet in Ife with a presiding chief (Obalaaye). Modakeke have refused to vacate, they want to be a separate town like Ipetumodu, Ifetedo, Ifewara etc with their own king and LGA. Yet they won't move to a farther distance to get these things done.

How would you suppose Ooni, a Governor or you resolve this?

My take, my people lost it when they wanted the Modakeke to exist out of their walls rather than have them assimilate into Ife so much so that their migration history becomes difficult to prove. That way, we would be having these issues.

4 Likes

Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by tpiadotcom: 7:03pm On Jul 29, 2015
^ people don't "assimilate" in Yoruba in the manner you're describing.

don't know why some nlers fantasize about such.

You're free to prove me wrong though.

Ife is Ife, Modakeke is Oyo, what type of "assimilation" are you imagining possible?
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by ManTiger(m): 7:08pm On Jul 29, 2015
9jacrip:

Apologies.

There is no way Ooni could have resolved the issue, it is very complex. It will all boil down requesting that both parties give certain things up but then Ife will be on the losing end - the lands.

Ife want Modakeke off their land if they cannot remain an a hamlet in Ife with a presiding chief (Obalaaye). Modakeke have refused to vacate, they want to be a separate town like Ipetumodu, Ifetedo, Ifewara etc with their own king and LGA. Yet they won't move to a farther distance to get these things done.

My take, my people lost it when they wanted the Modakeke to exist out of their walls rather than have them assimilate into Ife so much so that their migration history becomes difficult to prove. That way, we would be having these issues.
I like the bolded part, very objective but assimilating to one's cultural background is not an easy task expecially when the other party is not seeing as a subordinate.
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 29, 2015
ManTiger:

I like the bolded part, very objective.

OK.
If you can, please edit/restructure your first post that caught the attention of myself and other people.
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by macof(m): 7:11pm On Jul 29, 2015
tpiadotcom:

I agree it spread rather too fast to be believed. That's suspicious.

true

9 days may be the amount of time it took to travel there back then.

However, this particular news is still media based right now.

The Ooni was hale and hearty, no reason to assume otherwise.

sometimes they don't know, people are not always informed.

I agree with all you've said.

I hope this news is fake. ..but I've seen it in Punch already
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by ManTiger(m): 7:12pm On Jul 29, 2015
9jacrip:

OK.
If you can, please edit/restructure your first post that caught the attention of myself and other people.
No wahala, grin.
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by macof(m): 7:14pm On Jul 29, 2015
tpiadotcom:
^ people don't "assimilate" in Yoruba in the manner you're describing.

don't know why some nlers fantasize about such.

You're free to prove me wrong though.

Ife is Ife, Modakeke is Oyo, what type of "assimilation" are you imagining possible?

Who told you people don't assimilate? You think ur family lineage has always been native to ur hometown?
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by tpiadotcom: 7:17pm On Jul 29, 2015
maybe yours has never been, that is not the point.

Provide proof of any large group of people "assimilating" into Yoruba.

authentic evidence plz, not concocted ones.

The returnees were mostly of Yoruba ancestry and heritage, so they are not an example.

If anything, Yorubas lost territory in the Niger axis, not the other way round.

the slave trade also contributed to the same.
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by Vanpascore(m): 7:49pm On Jul 29, 2015
undisputedgbola:
U go like join people wey dey k'ewi?
sure, i am a yoruba son and an indigen of d source (Ile Ife)

1 Like

Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by macof(m): 8:47pm On Jul 29, 2015
tpiadotcom:
maybe yours has never been, that is not the point.

Provide proof of any large group of people "assimilating" into Yoruba.

authentic evidence plz, not concocted ones.

The returnees were mostly of Yoruba ancestry and heritage, so they are not an example.

If anything, Yorubas lost territory in the Niger axis, not the other way round.

the slave trade also contributed to the same.

Keep living in delusion. ..telling urself that ur family didn't migrate from somewhere to ur present location

try brushing up on cultural Anthropology, that might help you
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by tpiadotcom: 9:53pm On Jul 29, 2015
^ keep daydreaming.

you want everybody to be migrants like you, abi?
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by molas02: 11:21pm On Jul 29, 2015
jaymejate:
Thunder catch that finger u use type rubbish grin
Mumu
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by molas02: 11:21pm On Jul 29, 2015
jaymejate:
Thunder catch that finger u use type rubbish grin
Mumu.......so u don get to heaven and u kn d place wey ur moda dey
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by sparkleboy(m): 5:26pm On Jul 31, 2015
ManTiger:

The truth is difficult to admit when it's not in your favour.
Only 3% of Ife descent could admit the atrocity commited that time.

And for record, never you refers to me as idiot again, if you do so, I may be vexed and lay an ancestral curse of lunatic on you.

You are warned!

Did you study geography in OAU?
Did you at a point stay in Fajuyi hall blk 1 rm 214, bed 1 grin
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by ManTiger(m): 11:29pm On Jul 31, 2015
sparkleboy:

Did you study geography in OAU?
Did you at a point stay in Fajuyi hall blk 1 rm 214, bed 1 grin
Huh hmmm *clear throat*
That's all.

1 Like

Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by agog: 7:05am On Aug 11, 2015
Freemanan:
I KNEW THIS KING GROWING UP. MY GRAND PA TOLD ME HOW POWERFUL HE WAS AND HOW HE HAS A PENCHANT FOR DOING GOOD FOR HIS IMMEDIATE AND REMOTE COMMUNITIES. WISH I MET HIM IN PERSON THO.

DEATH, BE NOT PROUD. NIGERIA MOURNS A HUMAN BEING TODAY....

*OSUN cries*

sleep well Ooni.
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by benzion72(m): 2:42pm On Aug 19, 2015
9jacrip:

Apologies.

Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by benzion72(m): 2:47pm On Aug 19, 2015
9jacrip:

Apologies.

It suprised me to hear people talk the way they do. Personally I have Modakeke and Ife blood running in me. Why my father side come from Ogbon eyin Idi my mother side is from Oyatope compound in Modakeke. Calling Modakeke to leave is like the Red India asking the European intruder to leave. Or for a Zulu man of South Africa calling the Dutch and English that has settle in South Africa to leave after 300 years. Or rather the Australian aborigene calling European to leave Australia. Where will they go to. Both towns must learn to leave together in peace. It is not possible under heaven for them to be separated again. The mistake being done is to believe that through war one town can dislodge each other it is not possible. If it remain one person on one side of each town the whole town cannot dislodge him. So for our brother the Ife people the land owner. Kindly learn to embrace Modakeke let us leave together in Peace. May God give us a wise king like Aderemi and Abewela who like Solomon marry from Modakeke and there was peace for years. Both town have being ostrascised Traffic from Ife Ilesha has being diverted to Ilesha Akure express way. Ondo Ore Benin And lagos has being diverted to ijebu Ode Ore Benin Imagine both town are now ghost of themselves who will go home and build house that will be raced down with fire one day. My families on both side lost more than 10 buildings. The Ife called us Modakeke, the Modakeke called us Ifes and our properties were set ablazed. The Ooni himself lost his multi Billion estate. Not to talk of people who lost their lifes
Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by Nobody: 2:17am On Aug 20, 2015
macof:
This to me is a just nonsense.

First of all, traditional Ooni doesn't leave Ife, because that tradition seems to have been annulled doesn't mean you take it to the level of "seeking medical treatment" abroad. So in the whole Yorubaland nothing could treat the Ooni?

And why is this news being heard so early? It happened just yesterday. ..yoruba traditions don't Annonce the passing of an Ooni. ..Its a taboo

Today you see it Obas calling themselves Christians and muslims
I totally forgot about this thread. I agree to this post 100%. That's why I pray that the Ooni elect should be a core traditionalist, one that is gonna preserve the tradition of the royal stool. Not all these guys campaigning as if it's a political post further desecrating the title of the Ooni.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jun 01, 2019
It's sleek not just sexy! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Silekunola Naomi Ogunwusi Celebrates 7th Year Of En-Heralds Ministry / Olori Wuraola: Jennifer Obayuwana Gives Shout Out To Ooni Of Ife's New Wife / Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils "Moremi Ajasoro", The Tallest Statue In Nigeria (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.