Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,085 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding (6003 Views)

Dave Umahi Constructing Roads, Re-branding Ebonyi State - Photos / Ex-militant Leader Accuses Kachikwu Of Funding Opposition, Calls On Buhari / Legislators Agree To Belt-tightening, Cut N’assembly’s Budget By 25%-thisday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding by wirinet(m): 11:39am On Mar 30, 2009
What is the meaning of [b]re-[/b]branding? what is it to [b]re-[/b]brand? to re-brand. you have to first brand, before you can [b]re-[/b]brand. so when was Nigeria first branded, was it after independence? or was it after "The Heart Beat Of Africa Project", whereby Nigeria brand would be The Heart Beat Of Africa.

Can someone please help me answer these questions.
Re: Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding by Pepeye(f): 8:47pm On Mar 30, 2009
Basically Nigeria needs to be rebuilt not rebranded

becos we were never a brand and Nigeria has never been branded
Re: Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding by FifiO(f): 1:16pm On Mar 31, 2009
To my mind, & I know this is one thing ALL of us who've posted so far can agree on, Nigeria has a legion of problems:infrastructure, et al. If this is the premise, then can we also agree that one solution is not going to fix all the problems? Not even Mrs D's Re-branding Nigeria.

So how about if the education ministry came up with a plan for the education sector, the agric ministry did the same, and so on and so forth? because this is what the information ministry is trying to do.

The way I see this re-brand thing is that it is aimed at addressing Nigeria's image, especially abroad, as a component of the information ministry's agenda (I sincerely hope this is not all Mrs D has, but as part of it, ya'all know, it could work?)

Now, to re-brand a thing is to alter its  public image(positively,mostly). That is to alter the impression others have of it or  how they look at it.
Now, I am guessing that no good producer sees his product as being 100%perfect. He thinks constantly of coming up with better, improved products . But imagine if this company were to wait until it has the "ultimate" product before putting it out there, trying to brand and rebrand where neccessary?!

The point therefore is that Nigeria must not wait until EFCC has caught up with all the crooks giving Nigeria a bad name. it can tell the world : we have set up shop and we intend to make it safe for you here. in the same breath, it can say that we know we have a power problem, but we have chosen the best man we could find for the job and we are working on it,etc.

I believe the statement re-branding Nigeria is making then is that we recognise our problems, we are working on them the best we can, we believe in ourselves & urge you to embrace us.

Finally let me leave you with an adage from my tribe. Roughly translated it goes something like this: It's the (owner)person who takes his hen to the market that prices it cheap. I certainly dont feel good when some person somewhere says that Nigerians(including my good self grin) are thieves. We are  not all thieves. I am not a thief. And I will support whatever efforts are being made to change that twisted impression about me.

Out.
Re: Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding by FifiO(f): 2:03pm On Mar 31, 2009
@ Pepeye,wirinet

Good point, got me thinking. I think that a brand is an association to something else, conciously or unconciously drawn, negative or positive . where it is negative, it most likely is simply the impression other people have about a thing.

For example Nigeria as "the giant of Africa" , while geographically correct is an image/brand how we always wanted others to see us for whatever reasons-because it sounds good, or for political reasons. So too "food basket of the nation" is a brand, " the land of Promise" "the (defunct) heart of africa", "center of excellence" . These are all positive and conciously built.

On the negative we may have, black sheep of the family, ugliest city in the world, dirtiest, most corrupt- not consciously developed but they stick anyway and are considered brands for that reason.

Today Nigeria is being known for corruption all over the world, its a negative brand. That requires re-branding. altering. changing. giving it another image to replace the old one.

Have I been any help?
Re: Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding by NOWORRIES: 2:10pm On Mar 31, 2009
FIFIO

YOU HAVE NOT HELPED AT ALL

THIS THINGS CALLED REBRANDING IS ANOTHER CHANNEL TO MAKE MONEY U HEAR.
IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A BRAND IS A FINISHED PRODUCT.
NIKE WAS NOT A BRAND IN THE FACTORY
Re: Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding by FifiO(f): 2:20pm On Mar 31, 2009
NOWORRIES,
The question was for "wirinet" who asked to be clarrified. But just so you know, when we are talking of branding & rebranding in this context, I believe we mean the verb not the noun.
Re: Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding by larman4u(m): 11:26am On Apr 01, 2009
Rebrandinnng! This can not go anywhere.The problem of nigeria is not the brand,we should look into the content.
Let the FG stop wasting our resources.There are other productive areas the govt can go into like the areas of employment and so on.
Re: Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding by rookie(m): 6:34pm On Apr 01, 2009
So how about if the education ministry came up with a plan for the education sector, the agric ministry did the same, and so on and so forth? because this is what the information ministry is trying to do.
- Good point

I think with collaborative efforts and initiatives by all ministries, "rebranding Nigeria" led by the information ministry would make more sense. When isolated, her argument could easily be misunderstood as a mere propanda about an illusive, beautiful nation called Nigeria. Hence she needs to warn that her initiative would meaningfully compliment ongoing effort to rebuild Nigeria's failed infrastructures - if indeed ongoing efforts to rebuild genuinely exist!!!
Re: Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding by Kobojunkie: 11:18pm On Apr 01, 2009
I am glad you at least added the last part to your statement there. lol

From the much I have read of the project, She seems to be trying more to sell the idea to the people, rather than to her fellow ministers, and civil servants.
Re: Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding by Pataki: 1:19pm On Apr 04, 2009
Re: Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding by Kobojunkie: 3:16am On Apr 05, 2009
wow! lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fashola Promises Low Cost Houses / Obiano Says Awka Has Been Turned Into Europe. / How Nigerians May Vote, State By State: Buhari, Atiku In Tight, Tough Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.