Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! (51224 Views)

Create A Pool Of Encouragement, Enthusiasm And Motivation For Yourself / TEAM PROCTOR[INSPIRATION AND Motivation]-unleashing All Hidden Potentials-#hftf (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 07, 2015
intrinsicniyi:
If we fight we might win, if we don't we have already been defeated.....#Alutaism

...So far, I've being defeated in my pursuit of becoming a better man times without number (Unsuccessful job application, Scholarship application amongst others) but I know d only way out is to keep improving myself and never back down.

#Kee your head up.

That's the spirit. We only fail when we give up. As far as we keep getting up and continuing, we haven't failed.

I've failed many times too but I just didn't and will never give up.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 5:23pm On Aug 07, 2015
Positive action is key

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 6:04pm On Aug 07, 2015
Personal development involves to a large extent, conscious thinking and self-awareness. Sometimes we might be moving with a zeal to get ahead but without self-awareness we cannot tell if we are moving forward or backward, or even going round in circles.

I have this friend who in 2013 gave me a book "Why you act the way you do" by Tim LaHaye. I am grateful to him for that book till date as it served as a foundation for me. The book speaks about temperaments, so my friend had become so proficient in telling people through their behaviour, which is rather impressive and gained him praises from friends in the neighbourhood.

However, I got tired of playing it small and realised the need to go on to a larger scale to reach out to the world. The good thing is that vision served as a challenge to make me want to be better at all cost and when I realised that being in those places I used to only pulled me back, I had to stop going there. Yes, it pulled me back because being there only made me seem accomplished. Secondly, most folks there do not see the need for change and are happy in their comfort zones so I had no mission being there.

The problem my friend faces now is that being around people who do not see his vision or possess their own vision, he isn't motivated to do more than he is doing now. He could be a counsellor but he cannot unless he rises above ordinary thinkers to think extraordinarily. The mind is very delicate and so what you feed it consciously is what you produce subconsciously, hence the need to always feed it positive influences to produce positive thoughts. They say 'Show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are'. You cannot expect to think differently from the crowd you hang with. Even if you tried, your mind would take in some alien thoughts that would take more efforts to purge. Why do you think successful people like to be around themselves and far from poor people?

This isn't an easy journey but it's exciting and most rewarding than the ordinary lifestyle as it puts you in control of yourself and the things you do. The key to personal development is learning. I have lots of books that I might not even read. I access several trainings that I don't even complete and I intend to continue to acquire because learning is a necessity if I desire to achieve my dream of helping people. That's enough fun for me because there's a passion in helping people become who they desire to be.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by ipeg34yahooco: 7:08pm On Aug 07, 2015
There is one thing stronger than all the armies of the world,and that is an idea whose time has come - VICTOR HUGO

It's not that I am smart,it's just that I stay with problems longer - ALBERT EINSTEIN

The signature of mediocrity is not an unwillingness to change ; the signature of mediocrity is chronic inconsistency - JIM COLLINS (GOOD TO GREAT)

Have a fantastic evening!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 07, 2015
bare1:
Positive action is key

Without that, all our dreams will just remain dreams.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 07, 2015
ipeg34yahooco:
There is one thing stronger than all the armies of the world,and that is an idea whose time has come - VICTOR HUGO

It's not that I am smart,it's just that I stay with problems longer - ALBERT EINSTEIN

The signature of mediocrity is not an unwillingness to change ; the signature of mediocrity is chronic inconsistency - JIM COLLINS (GOOD TO GREAT)

Have a fantastic evening!
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 07, 2015
bare1:
Personal development involves to a large extent, conscious thinking and self-awareness. Sometimes we might be moving with a zeal to get ahead but without self-awareness we cannot tell if we are moving forward or backward, or even going round in circles.

I have this friend who in 2013 gave me a book "Why you act the way you do" by Tim LaHaye. I am grateful to him for that book till date as it served as a foundation for me. The book speaks about temperaments, so my friend had become so proficient in telling people through their behaviour, which is rather impressive and gained him praises from friends in the neighbourhood.

However, I got tired of playing it small and realised the need to go on to a larger scale to reach out to the world. The good thing is that vision served as a challenge to make me want to be better at all cost and when I realised that being in those places I used to only pulled me back, I had to stop going there. Yes, it pulled me back because being there only made me seem accomplished. Secondly, most folks there do not see the need for change and are happy in their comfort zones so I had no mission being there.

The problem my friend faces now is that being around people who do not see his vision or possess their own vision, he isn't motivated to do more than he is doing now. He could be a counsellor but he cannot unless he rises above ordinary thinkers to think extraordinarily. The mind is very delicate and so what you feed it consciously is what you produce subconsciously, hence the need to always feed it positive influences to produce positive thoughts. They say 'Show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are'. You cannot expect to think differently from the crowd you hang with. Even if you tried, your mind would take in some alien thoughts that would take more efforts to purge. Why do you think successful people like to be around themselves and far from poor people?

This isn't an easy journey but it's exciting and most rewarding than the ordinary lifestyle as it puts you in control of yourself and the things you do. The key to personal development is learning. I have lots of books that I might not even read. I access several trainings that I don't even complete and I intend to continue to acquire because learning is a necessity if I desire to achieve my dream of helping people. That's enough fun for me because there's a passion in helping people become who they desire to be.

You've written a brilliant minibook!

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 7:52pm On Aug 07, 2015
dearpreye:

You've written a brilliant minibook!

Thank you Sir! I just came across this photo and thought to share it to crown it all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 07, 2015
bare1:

Thank you Sir! I just came across this photo and thought to share it to crown it all.

We are the kind of friends we keep!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 8:01pm On Aug 07, 2015
dearpreye:

We are the kind of friends we keep!

Absolutely! Are you into any coaching programs of any kind?
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 07, 2015
bare1:

Absolutely! Are you into any coaching programs of any kind?

No sir. I'm just developing myself and learning a lot .

Why?
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 8:26pm On Aug 07, 2015
dearpreye:

No sir. I'm just developing myself and learning a lot .

Why?

Well coaching programs do support people in the development of themselves. Many times we need guidance to effective development because we are usually bound to stray from learning the essential things we need and go on to other stuff. It's a lot more difficult learning on our own.

I tell people that even though it's good to have an idea of several subjects when it comes to business, in life there are so many other subjects which we are not to concern ourselves with to enable us focus more on the crucial stuff.
Besides I believe you would make a fine coach yourself, therefore helping many people with what they want, and as such getting what you want as well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 11:16pm On Aug 07, 2015
To face reality is to open your eyes.
To create reality is to open your mind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 7:39am On Aug 08, 2015
Procrastination is the thief of TIME.

Indecision is the thief of OPPORTUNITY.

Good morning!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 11:33am On Aug 08, 2015
"You will only ever live the life you create for yourself... Others can try to persuade you but they can't decide for you. They can walk with you, but not in your shoes. Remember, it's always better to be at the bottom of the ladder you want to climb than the top of the one you don't."

Marc Chernoff, Personal Development Author

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 08, 2015
bare1:
"You will only ever live the life you create for yourself... Others can try to persuade you but they can't decide for you. They can walk with you, but not in your shoes. Remember, it's always better to be at the bottom of the ladder you want to climb than the top of the one you don't."

Marc Chernoff, Personal Development Author

Preach on, brother.

I was so fortunate to have learned the above many years back. You're the captain of the ship of your life. No one can chart it for you. You're alone are responsible for your life and decisions. All man for himself.

To fail at something is better than to succeed at nothing.

Happy weekend sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 2:26pm On Aug 08, 2015
dearpreye:

Preach on, brother.

I was so fortunate to have learned the above many years back. You're the captain of the ship of your life. No one can chart it for you. You're alone are responsible for your life and decisions. All man for himself.

To fail at something is better than to succeed at nothing.

Happy weekend sir.

Happy weekend to you too Sir!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by menzo4u: 8:00pm On Aug 08, 2015
My VISION is my mission, my VISION is my hope. It keeps me going in the face of challenges....Oh GOD! Give me the power to achieve my vision on earth.

The above has always been the anthem that I recite each time I wakeup everyday.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 08, 2015
menzo4u:
My VISION is my mission, my VISION is my hope. It keeps me going in the face of challenges....Oh GOD! Give me the power to achieve my vision on earth.

Yes bro. I'm with you. All that's needed for our mission and vision has been made available by Providence.

Many live lives without a vision- they merely exist. Tragic!
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by bare1(m): 10:48pm On Aug 08, 2015
menzo4u:

Affirmative self-talk is good to motivate you. Keep it up!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by menzo4u: 2:26pm On Aug 09, 2015
Tomorrow (Monday), my motivational speech will be titled "TALENT". Though I already have my own planned speech on mind, I believe you guys will enable me to be able to do more justice to the topic.

So I need your suggestions on what areas, what ways and how the topic can best be treated.i.e. If you are to motivate people on this topic how would you go about it?

Others, including myself, can learn from what you write.

KUDOS! To you all "motivators" in the house.

Cc:
@bare1
@dearpreye
@adamat7
@intrinsicniyi
Et al...

Put your heart, mind, and soul into even your smallest acts. This is the secret of success.
-----Swami Sivananda

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 09, 2015
menzo4u:
Tomorrow (Monday), my motivational speech will be titled "TALENT". Though I already have my own planned speech on mind, I believe you guys will enable me to be able to do more justice to the topic.

So I need your suggestions on what areas, what ways and how the topic can best be treated.i.e. If you are to motivate people on this topic how would you go about it?

Cc:
@bare1
@dearpreye
@adamat7
@intrinsicniyi
Et al...

Put your heart, mind, and soul into even your smallest acts. This is the secret of success.
-----Swami Sivananda

You keep going bro. Keep the spirit going. Don't fail to ask a friend to score your performance whenever you talk. Ask them to be honest with you.

Talent is our natural advantage over others when it comes to performing certain things. It could be in writing, machines, drawing, mathematics, football, music, piano, Guitar, swimming, speaking, counselling. Whatever. Everyone has one talent or the other.

But talent is overrated and inadequate when it comes to making our lives successful. We can't rely on our talents alone. We must add determination, perseverance and hard work to our talents if we must succeed.

Late Bob Nestor Marley was no doubt a talented musician but before he became a phenomenal success he was reported to have spent over 10000 hours practising behind the screen. The same is prominent with the likes of Bill Gates, The Beatles, etc.

We must add other character to our talents before we can succeed.
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by menzo4u: 3:12pm On Aug 09, 2015
dearpreye:

You keep going bro. Keep the spirit going. Don't fail to ask a friend to score your performance whenever you talk. Ask them to be honest with you.

Talent is our natural advantage over others when it comes to performing certain things. It could be in writing, machines, drawing, mathematics, football, music, piano, Guitar, swimming, speaking, counselling. Whatever. Everyone has one talent or the other.

But talent is overrated and inadequate when it comes to making our lives successful. We can't rely on our talents alone. We must add determination, perseverance and hard work to our talents if we must succeed.

Late Bob Nestor Marley was no doubt a talented musician but before he became a phenomenal success he was reported to have spent over 10000 hours practising behind the screen. The same is prominent with the likes of Bill Gates, The Beatles, etc.

We must add other character to our talents before we can succeed.
Thanks a lot, I never fail to ask fellow peers abou my performance as you advised.

Nice piece, keep up the good work.
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 3:18pm On Aug 09, 2015
menzo4u:

Thanks a lot, I never fail to ask fellow peers abou my performance as you advised.

Nice piece, keep up the good work.

We're together.
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by menzo4u: 7:50am On Aug 10, 2015
dearpreye:

We're together.
I created this thread about talent
https://www.nairaland.com/2514468/look-beyond-school-develop-talent

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 10, 2015
menzo4u:

I created this thread about talent
https://www.nairaland.com/2514468/look-beyond-school-develop-talent

Good morning.

I'll read and contribute as soon as I'm through with the one I'm on ATM! Thanks bro.
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by menzo4u: 8:40am On Aug 10, 2015
dearpreye:

Good morning.

I'll read and contribute as soon as I'm through with the one I'm on ATM! Thanks bro.
Alright.
Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by intrinsicniyi(m): 8:50am On Aug 10, 2015
menzo4u:

Cc:
@bare1
@dearpreye
@adamat7
@intrinsicniyi
Et al...

-----Swami Sivananda

Talent, " An innate ability given to the mankind by the creator". it's our marked natural skill to do certain life activities exceedingly well & with ease.  

To some people it can be in the aspect of MUSIC ( We all know Michael Jackson, Don jazzy, Lucky Dube, Timi Dakolo, 2Pac, Bob Marley, Kaffi d dancer,  Fela, Whitney Houston & so on  how good they are in doing what they do), SPORT ( We are aware of Messi's magic, Zidane, CR7, Federer, Nadal, Williams Sisters, Mary Onyali, Ronaldo Delimma, Robert Carlos, Oliver Kahn, Van der saar, Klose and so on), SCIENCE ( Newton, Einstein, Faraday, Phillip Emiagwueli, Thomas Edison, Tesla, Galileo Gallile, Henri Becquel, etc), LITERATURE & WRITING (Chimamanda Adichie, Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Robert Greene etc) other areas include HUMAN RELATION, PUBLIC  SPEAKING , ENTERTAINMENT & MEDIA, PHILOSOPHY, ARTS amongst others. 

Alas! "Is Talent sufficient to live a fulfilled life" I'd say NO". I once saw a friend reading  John Maxwell's Book, Talent is Never Enough. I was inspired with what I saw.

...Back in school, I know I can learn almost anything (A voice within me always tell me dt but I believe it's only by virtue of hardwork I achieved the feat of graduating as the best student in my class. 

#My Thought on Talent is, it's never enough and certain qualities are required to be the best viz courage, ruggedness, character, discipline, perseverance, urge for accomplishment, Believe & Energy. 

"Talent is cheaper than table salt, what separates the talented individual from the successful ones is a lot of hard work". Stephen King. 

#For people that knows football, hardwork makes Cristiano Ronaldo what he is today...Hazard is talented but he's yet to show urge for accomplishment & ruggedness. 

Thanks.  smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by ipeg34yahooco: 1:12pm On Aug 10, 2015
Greatness is not primarily a matter of circumstances; greatness is first and foremost a matter of conscious choice and discipline.

You can't manufacture passion or motivate people to feel passionate. You can only discover what ignites your passion and the passions of those around you.

Great vision without great people is irrelevant.

People are not your most important assets. The right people are.

Culled from JIM COLLINS ( GOOD TO GREAT)

Have a blessed day everyone!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! by Nigel1: 1:21pm On Aug 10, 2015
Dear Nlanders,

Did you miss last week’s chance to win $100?

This week presents a new opportunity.

Visit http://fedpforum.epcmengineers.com now.

New questions loading…

TWITTER: FEDPForum
FACEBOOK: FEDP Forum

Regards,
Nigel K.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Meet Dr. Osato Osemwengie: Biography Of Maker Of Drones For American Army / Three Nigerian Sisters Who Are All Pilots Become Centre Of Attraction / Minimum Wage: How Much Was Added To Your Salary In December 2019?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.