Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,547 members, 7,955,036 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:04 PM

Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners (131250 Views)

Poll: Which option of Electrical Engineering do you prefer?

Electronics and Telecoms: 68% (203 votes)
Power and Machinery: 28% (84 votes)
Lecturing: 3% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Mechatronic Engineers: aspirants and practitioners meet here. / Marine Engineering Aspirants And Practitioners: Any Future? / Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Gaminechic: 6:26pm On Apr 08, 2009
then you could not have known about abuja hostel old man. also ibiyemi became a professor in 2000/2001, and he most certainly was not in unilorin in the 80s. i hope you aren't one of the technicians masqurading as an engineer and hogging the compute centres bandwidth for your satelitte pictures

Prof Ibiyemi was the Dean of my College for Three years

The guy is damn brilliant but very eccentric.

Saw him two weeks ago at D.B.I

@Topic,
Let me even ask the house, what was the motivating factor that made EE your choice? For me, it was pure accident. I was some sort of idealist in secondary school, didn't see myself as an engineer, and was going to study physics or computer science in university. My dad played a key role in convincing me that EE was a much better choice, and more attractive in the labour market. So on the spur of that convincing I picked up basic electronics at SSCE level and managed to squeeze an A3 out of WAEC, despite the short time I had to prepare (2 terms).
Years later I read about the transistor and Shockley's exploits (his contemporaries at the time claimed he could see electrons), and that sparked a lifelong romance with the wired world. A romance that I would say is just beginning. I always wanted to work in high tech, and I got my wish without having to emigrate. And because of where I work (new product development), I actually have a very good overview of the technology, far more than my colleagues who are in the core telecoms where I started from.
Any interesting stories?

My story aint too interesting but, i remember one day in primary five driving home with my friends,

we were going on bout what we would study in Uni and i said anything but Medicine, Law or Engineering. . .

Oh well, and see where i landed, My dad had a hand in it though.

I am very into Engineering Design, im getting a double degree towards that.

you think say I dey joke. A Nigerian with a PHD abroad. if you are not in the USA. your chance is as good as taxi driver. Your example is someone in nigeria sha.

PHD limit your job chance. Only in the USA is that possible. Do you know how many nigeria with PHD in london. Half of them have never used thier PHD before. ANd they are still paying for their student loan. Which would take them another 12 years to pay back. That why they never send money home. Debt

Ewo! USA it is then!, Cos i intend to teach

i know a Nigerian girl in one of the U of Texas who at 26 has her PHD and is teaching design

hmm, i aspire .lol
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by venturesC(m): 7:02pm On Apr 08, 2009
SOME THAT READ THIS COURSE CANNOT EVEN REPAIR ORDINARY RADIO THAT HAS SMALL FAULT OR A SMALL FAULT IN CAR. RATHER THEY WILL JUST RUSH TO THE TECHNICIAN OR MECHANIC

WHY?

CARLOS VENTURES
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by oYaTo(m): 9:49pm On Apr 08, 2009
Hi, I'm an EE grad as well (2:1, OAU), and I actually planned to major in IT/Telecoms upon graduation (everyone wanted Telecoms back then). .hated Power like crazy. .managed to avoid taking power courses except the compulsory ones. .

As fate would have it, I landed a correct job with an American company in naija. .what field? Power! I was initially attracted by the pay and the other perks that came with the job, and when it was time for my training, na so fear come catch me. .didn't know what I was going to face. .but nothing prayer no fit handle. I've always turned to prayer anytime I feel lost, so I went on my knees and prayed to God to give me the passion for Power Engineering. .

Meeen, the training was as comprehensive as it could be (7 months!), but it was fun and I actually began to enjoy myself. Now I'm about to go on my first assignment and I'm really looking forward to it. .

teejay2010:

I intended majoring in Power and machine but indeed I want to avoid a lecturer in my final project so Iam choosing telecom for now so after obtaining my result i will switch over.

Who u dey try avoid? Komo?  cheesy
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 10:27pm On Apr 08, 2009
Oil and Gas, apart from the shocking pepper they pay to young people, don't really have too much to offer, except you're in the core discipline (geology/geophysics, petroleum engineering, and all that drilling and reservoir stuff). A facilities engineer to me sucks as a career option. You may not know that Yemi Osindero, COO of Virgin actually spent some time as a facilities engineer in ExxonMobil before packing it in. I personally think those jobs are downright boring. IT in the oil companies is totally useless. That is redundancy 101.
@ Ajanlekoko
I agree with everything else you've said so far except the above, that's grossly incorrect. The opportunities available to a facilities engineer in Nigeria maybe limited because the fields are mostly greenfields (new assets with very little problems) if you work on brownfields (old assets), the experience is fantastic. I work for EM on a brownfield as a reservoir engineer but I can't wait for the opportunity to do facilities, it's very exciting on my asset. BTW I did my first degree in EE and my masters in Petroleum Engineering
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 2:54am On Apr 09, 2009
this thread has excited the nonsense outta me o. . . as in
anyways to cut the long story short. . . abt me

i graduated from unilag last year(2008)elect/elect my project was on microcontrollers but its application was energy management(power). I'm a power freak to the core, my I.T. was in NEPA at a transmission station(sub-region actually) now i'm doing my NYSC at shiroro dam(yep i chose to come to niger state jst cos of power). i believe power is going to blow up big time so i'm postioning myself now(cos of my project and I.T. i know a lot ppl in NEPA now). Also i'm a computer person(lol. . . most of my posts on NL are in the computer section sef).
i'm planning to go for an M.sc immediately after NYSC God willing and maybe a Ph.D after(i hate reading though) i'm still trying to figure out what to do my M.Sc in (it has to involve computers o)i'm thinking yankee but i finished with a 2.2(i still intend to try anyway) jand would be easier from ppl i've talked to.

i think its really cool that we can all yarn here

and as for ppl saying a Ph.D would dull you in nigeria, thats very dependent on the person my HOD in sch has a Ph.D and he's HOT but most of the ppl i know in NEPA dont hv M.Sc's and they're equally hot, some r even hotter(illegally if u know wot i mean)

at the dude that was loooking for a mini project what are ur interests maybe i can help u(i'm very practical oriented)
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 7:36am On Apr 09, 2009
@venturesc
Elect engr is not about fixing radios. Though i admit that an elect student should know about trouble shooting. But this is 9ja my guy. Only those who seek for that Kind of knowledge outside the school environment get it.
@netotse
I think you're the only person on this thread that loves power. If i may ask the house, what is it that scares people off power?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by X2X(m): 11:37am On Apr 09, 2009
Fireman Jr:

. . . If i may ask the house, what is it that scares people off power?

Electric shock. grin
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 11:41am On Apr 09, 2009
Power is not sexy. . .right now. . .

there is a coming scarcity of power engineers worldwide. . .and when it kicks in power engineering will be the new hot cake in town
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 11:43am On Apr 09, 2009
naijababe:

@ Ajanlekoko
I agree with everything else you've said so far except the above, that's grossly incorrect. The opportunities available to a facilities engineer in Nigeria maybe limited because the fields are mostly greenfields (new assets with very little problems) if you work on brownfields (old assets), the experience is fantastic. I work for EM on a brownfield as a reservoir engineer but I can't wait for the opportunity to do facilities, it's very exciting on my asset. BTW I did my first degree in EE and my masters in Petroleum Engineering

My sista, that's why I said my personal opinion. I just notice that most of the people I know who work in Facilities engineering complain a lot of boredom, and many actually switch.
Sounds like you have the petroleum bug, especially as you even did a masters in that field.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 11:45am On Apr 09, 2009
i think we need to define facilities engineering

ah. i see. . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facilities_engineering

The term "facilities engineering" evolved from "plant engineering" in the early 1990s as U.S. workplaces became more complex. Practitioners preferred this term because it more accurately reflected the multidisciplinary demands for specialized conditions in a wider variety of indoor environments, not merely manufacturing plants.

Today, a facilities engineer (vs. a facilities manager) typically has hands-on responsibility for the employer's electrical engineering, maintenance, environmental, health, safety, energy, controls/instrumentation, civil engineering, and HVAC needs. The need for expertise in these categories varies widely depending on whether the facility is, for example, a single-use site or a multi-use campus; whether it is an office, school, hospital, museum, processing/production plant, etc.

Some colleges and universities offer degrees in facilities engineering. Others offer continuing education courses. The Association for Facilities Engineering offers rigorous programs to certify engineers, maintenance managers and supervisors.

facilities engineering also known as maintenance engineering is boring if the original designers did their work well. if they didn't - everyday will be troubleshooting galore. it also depends on how much power the FE has within his organization - is he/she directly responsible for upgrades, etal, or are they coordinated by other engineers?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 12:01pm On Apr 09, 2009
oyb:

Power is not sexy. . .right now. . .

there is a coming scarcity of power engineers worldwide. . .and when it kicks in power engineering will be the new hot cake in town

The day energy becomes a traded commodity, just like telecom airtime is today, I am into power the next day!

Unfortunately I've moved beyond the 'engineering' side of things. man just wan make cash now jare.
Peace
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by jaybee3(m): 12:43pm On Apr 09, 2009
AjanleKoko:

The day energy becomes a traded commodity, just like telecom airtime is today, I am into power the next day!

Unfortunately I've moved beyond the 'engineering' side of things. man just wan make cash now jare.
Peace

Dude, energy is already a major traded commodity on regulated exchanges.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by jaybee3(m): 1:00pm On Apr 09, 2009
Fireman Jr:

@jaybee
what's it like being an information engr. What do u guys do?
Ain't working as an Information Engineer. Only studied it for MSc. Basically it's the development, application, and maintenance of parameters (generation, distribution, analysis) needed in engineering systems to make it function as designed.
Involves loads of control engineering though.

As an Information Assurance Analyst i basically manage information related risks (throughout the lifecycle of the information). Heavy quantitative and qualitative analysis though, but just do 'em line management stuffz dis dayz.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by kaygee1234: 1:36pm On Apr 09, 2009
nice thread
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by BOSS7: 1:40pm On Apr 09, 2009
jay bee:

Ain't working as an Information Engineer. Only studied it for MSc. Basically it's the development, application, and maintenance of parameters (generation, distribution, analysis) needed in engineering systems to make it function as designed.
Involves loads of control engineering though.

As an Information Assurance Analyst i basically manage information related risks (throughout the lifecycle of the information). Heavy quantitative and qualitative analysis though, but just do 'em line management stuffz dis dayz.
How come you're mingling Information Systems with Control Systems Engineerin? These are two totally different fields (and I'm saying this from a personal perspective and opinion mingled with experience obviously). I seriously doubt the credibility of that statement though not your personality.

On the whole though, I think Power Engineering is generally hot and would always be hot regardless because there'll always be a need for Power Engineers and if you're in the UK, it'll be good to have the 17th Edition Power Regulation and take the exam though that is if you’re working as an Electrical Engineer. There’re regulations to follow in constructing new buildings and there are so many substations that have to be maintained regularly but in a country like Nigeria where there’s no light, how could we utilise these engineers with vision?

The corruption in the Nigerian society had not made this profession thrive generally but Electrical Engineers on the whole are hot cakes and that’s the truth.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 2:00pm On Apr 09, 2009
jay bee:

Dude, energy is already a major traded commodity on regulated exchanges.

I was referring to Nigeria.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by jaybee3(m): 3:21pm On Apr 09, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

How come you're mingling Information Systems with Control Systems Engineerin? These are two totally different fields (and I'm saying this from a personal perspective and opinion mingled with experience obviously). I seriously doubt the credibility of that statement though not your personality.

Dude, it's OK to doubt but i certainly do know my onions and can back it up. I studied MSc Information Engineering @ city university London and highest weighted module is Control Engineering.
The course should have been called MSc Electrical/Electronics Engineering as it was pratically same/similar modules to the ones i took in ma first degree.
Anyways, Information Engineering def ain't Information Systems
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by jaybee3(m): 3:22pm On Apr 09, 2009
AjanleKoko:

I was referring to Nigeria.
coolios. You need to get into that game bruv if not already in it.
Trading soft commodity is relatively low risk as it's not usually political driven. Lets go make 'em cool cash
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 4:57pm On Apr 09, 2009
I still believe power is an attractive field. Just like accountants are needed almost everywhere, power engrs are also needed. It's just not as sexy as telecoms.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Becomrrich: 9:06pm On Apr 09, 2009
Oyb, i know prof Ibiyemi became a prof after my class. So i dont have the right to call him prof.

I enter ilorin in the 80's ,  and abuja was a nickname of the female hostel then. it was not the official name. may be another hostel call abuja. i dont know. it is a long time,   

Department of agric engineering is on the other side of the road from block 1 to 10.

Agric faculty is after block 10 on the other side of the road.

the conference centre is between the library. 

we had prof salami, he is in malaysia now. you dont know him.  dr fakilede in mechanical.
even prof adeniyi son is my classmate. i have his phone number,  some of the people in mechanical too were my classmate,   zulu sofola was in temporary site. Is she still alive. 

There was this man that was on NTA ilorin If I remember the program very well. "the traveller"  that took GNS. i read he got fired , i read he ASUU president , he was among those fired. 

I was told prof olufegba was among those they fired too. and prof owolabi, he took me communication.  they were smart,   

In the men hostel, there is a common room very close to the shop mrs egbo,( dr egbo chemistry ) is he still in ilorin, 

ilorin would big now. i saw picture on the internet some of those places, where not there many years ago.

Tanke bus stop is not far from the governor office , close to kwara hotel and the sharia court. the bus stop is close to Ecwa church.

And david jamibewon house is the house that face the road going down to the university . that turn ,  Rhema chapel use to be along that road. then. it was just a land and the man covered with a roof. I hear he is big now.  I went there several times.  he had benches . the church had no wall. only roof , because of the rain. he is now a big pastor.  i mean pastor George Adegboye. Even i meet , rev  sam adeyemi then , he was in ibadan, he use to come and preach if Pastor Adegboye travel. he too, is a big pastor.how time travel.

so have ilorin change update me. that why i get piss off. even when i was in ilorin. the population was over 1 million. and they claim the state is 2.3 million,
loook. even university of ilorin student population at that time was over 12,000 , i think then they claim ilorin was 400K, my be there were counting the primary and secondary school student only.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by BOSS7: 9:46pm On Apr 09, 2009
jay bee:

Dude, it's OK to doubt but i certainly do know my onions and can back it up. I studied MSc Information Engineering @ city university London and highest weighted module is Control Engineering. The course should have been called MSc Electrical/Electronics Engineering as it was pratically same/similar modules to the ones i took in ma first degree.
Anyways, Information Engineering def ain't Information Systems
Looks like you're agreeing with me. . Of couse I did my Electrical/Electronics enginering degree at Imperial College and you cannot say I don't have a clue here.
I graduated 5years ago and have worked as a Telecoms Engineer, Information Analyst and at the moment I work as a Control Systems Engineer and have had my taste of Power Engineering, so trust me if you want me to break it down, I definitely would because I'm with a company where you get everything you want when it comes to being practical. But I'll maintain that statement that you cannot categorise Information Systems and Control Systems Engineering in the same basket though they're all under the same Electrical/Electronics Engineering umbrella.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 12:53am On Apr 10, 2009
@the pple saying power isnt hot now. . . well y'all might be right, but its only temporary the rate at which things are going if PHCN doesnt begin to improve then the business sector in naija'll really go south! either whatever happens power is hot cake whether in naija or not. . .

i spoke to a professor from Howard that PHCN brought and housed in NICON to hold a course for some of their staff(he was a naija dude<prof james momoh> imagine although he left naija in the 70's sha) and he was like the american govt has noticed the approaching shortage of power engineers and are taking steps

also my HOD(who has quite a bit of experience in HV<high voltage>wink was talking to us and he was listing the high voltage labs he knows and he was like at one lab in germany the head of the lab is in his 70's and hasnt been able to retire b'cos there's no one good enuff to take his place

power's very different from telecoms apart from it being more capital intensive(by far) the expertise required is more and u really need to groom power engineers(thats why siemens does a lot of poaching from PHCN even tho its mostly the old staff, the news ones dont really know jack). . . so wotever happens if i stick on this power train when naija's ready they'll look for me(i wont be hard to find i'll just be expensive! grin)

P.S.
i dunno if its only me but one would think we could find better things to argue about than where the hostels in unilorin are and also what information engineering is. . . abeg now. . . the youngsters like me want to learn stuff from u guys o. . .
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 12:54am On Apr 10, 2009
Thanks to Fireman Jr for starting this thread and lots of thanks to all for the contributions so far. I am beginning to feel like an Electrical Engineer again. I graduated in 2004 from ESUT, Enugu and served in 2006/2007 in a classroom(LOL), no thanks to my school system for the delay. I made a 2.2 and i've been job hunting since 2007 August to no avail. I've attended several interviews and even gotten to the final stages & waiting to be called upon for medicals. Right now i do not have any job experience, all i've been doing to survive since 2007 is playing music in concerts, ceremonies and Church services since i am specially talented in playing the bass guitter and keyboard. I have tried to locate electrical firms here in Warri Delta State to get some experience even if i wouldn't be paid, but i have found none.

Sometimes i sit back and feel i've waisted my time in going to school because my friends who never attened school are doing well and seeing more light than i. I can't even think of going for my masters now as the resources to do that isn't handy.

I am thankful for all the INFO gotten from the house because i am thinking of relocating to a place where i can start practicing no matter how small the place/pay maybe. Basically i love IT & Telecom, i did my seminar on VSAT and it's application in internet Data Transfer. My project was on Power and i still regret it till date because i never intended to do it, i did it because it was a group project and i fell into that group. I never had any interest for power. I would love to go deep into Network Security & Ethical Hacking but don't know how to go about that without finance. I don't even know where to start from from, i seemed to be lost. It hurts me whenever i realize i haven't worked with my degree, after 5years or graduation/2years of service, i am really lagging behind.

I know a lot of people will fall into my category and a lot more will do as time goes, thus i am craving the indulgence of the experienced people in the house to give advices on steps to take to get a breakthrough.  cool

>>>>>PEACE<<<<<
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 1:13am On Apr 10, 2009
ewoma4good:

I know a lot of people will fall into my category and a lot more will do as time goes, thus i am craving the indulgence of the experienced people in the house to give advices on steps to take to get a breakthrough.  cool

>>>>>PEACE<<<<<

na prayer be that?

1 Like

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 11:52am On Apr 10, 2009
power engineering is definitely going to be lucrative, but its taking its sweet time. . .

@ netotse, my year in power engineering proper was one year

the project we were executing involved PCM (Protection control and metering) it was a world bank funded project.

as you rightly noted power engineering is extremely capital intensive, which is why so many investors are shying away from it.

anyway to do some reiteration, we were upgrading the distance protection relays on PHCNs transmission networks. the existing ones were electromechanical. they were being replaced with electronic models. i belive you will find an alstom relay in shiroro's control room. the basic premise was this

the world bank had provided the funds. PHCN had procured the relays (three different manufacturers, Alstom, Siemens, Reyrolle) we were originally supposed to install all the relays, but PHCN alked at the cost, so we ultimately were contracted to install one at every station, while the PHCN engineers watched, learned and did the others. of course, it didn't quite work out in this way. . .

as i stated earlier, when dealing with high currents/voltages, breakers with thermal or magnetic characteristcs are simply not feasible. so we use relays which work with breakers that have contacts. in the event of a relaay detecting a fault, it sends a signal that trips the breaker.

during the one year i was with jiyoda, i visited ibadan transmission(i forget the exact loaction), ikeja west, benin, Kaduna, Oshogbo, Transmission stations and Alaoji , Afam, Ugehlli , (whats the station in lagos? i forget) Kainji and Jebba. different contractors did different stations. jebba, Benin were by ABB, if i remember rightly. Alaoji was the only reyrolle station i visited, Ikeja west and Ibadan were siemens

personally i hate those siemens stations. my experiences with german technology have givnen me the impression that they conciously go out of their way to ensure you will keep calling on them (i guess its just business) in abb designed stations, the relays for sevearl transmisson cicuits were located in a single room with pelnty of free space . in the siemens stations, they were located in single buildings in the i forget what they call it marshalling yard? the buildings were cramped. . .even more annoying was the relay provided by Siemens.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 12:13pm On Apr 10, 2009
the alstom relay had an LCD readout and buttons through which you could configure it. the reyrolle relay could be configured via a computer, or a pc (serial cable) . the siemens relay could be configured via a pc(serial cable) or a relay. . , the fking thing was that the siemns relay could only be configured via a special serial cable made specially for the relay. thge reyrole relay would work with just about any serial cable. the serial cable caused us no end of grief in the beginning, as no one could figure out why the relay refused to communicate with the pc.

technological advancements are a wonderful thing. the old electromechanical relays took up two or three entire panels. the new electronic ones took up a third of a panel.

in every transmission station, a line is protected by a duty and backup relay. we would get to sa site, and take one of the relays offline. , dimsmantle it install the new relay,commence calibaration and commissioning tests

before taking a relay offline, one has to go into the yard and disconnect the circuit and voltage transformers. these step down cureents from 1000A to 1A, and voltages from 330kv to ( i forget the value) for metering purposes. the VTs can simply be disconnected, but the CTs have to be chort circuited. it is always a very frightening process, because if a live cT is open circuited, it will explode. and spreac ceramic etal across a wide radius. and the CTS are NOT cheap. they come in the millions.

typically the calculations for the data used to calibrate the relay had already been executed in the office. the wiring layout would also have been prepared in the office.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 10, 2009
after mounting the relay in the panel and calibrating it( entering info like transmission circuit name, lenght, voltage, voltage ratio, current, current ratio, impedance, etc, we executed commissioning tests in which we simulated power faults. we did this using rotary voltage and current transformers, variable resistors, and our patented test kit( i'm sure there's one somewhere in shiroro - i built/assembled some of them myself) once all test had been completed, we would request a line outage, in which we would test the relay with the breaker for the transmission line.

some trips went smoothly, but that was the exception rather than the rule. all sorts of issues could pop up. a funny one, in ibadan, when testing a relay it was giving bizarre readouts. eventually we found that the relay was for shiroro station. apparently shiroro CTs step down to 5Amps, and the relaay for shiroro was rated 5a. relays for all other station were rates 1a. sometimes, some wiring errors would have been done, which would mean that we had to trace and confirm which signal cables were going where, before terminations. one could inadvertently trip off a transmission line, always a bad thing, as PHCN brass would start getting fidgety.

ask the peopel in shriro about lati, john and jerome( i won't give their full names here) i never got to shiroro, so they won't know me.

if you are really interested, they can hook you up with jiyoda engineering. you will learn no doubt, but i don't know if you'd want to work there. phcn is a terrible customer. while i was there, we were rarely paid on time, we worked like dogs, and two of my colleagues had their fiancées break up with them. never around and never any money. . .women can put up with either, but not both. . .

i learnt a lot there. it is always good to start your career with a professional. i shiver to imagine if I had started my career with some of the people i work with now. . .Ajanlekoko said it, oil companies imho and experience, are not great places to launch careers from, you are more of management than engineering.

1 Like

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 1:37pm On Apr 10, 2009
@oyb
wow! that's a whole lot of experience with power. The stuff about the CTs exploding is scary.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 2:00pm On Apr 10, 2009
not really. was just one year. 2003. netotse is very interseted in power, so i'm just pulling up residual memory.now if he can meet lati . . .that dude was in jiyoda for at least five years, and he then moved to another power company. . .i'm sure the engineers at all the transmission stations in nigeria remember him! that guy is gooood!

will soon post some drawings of projects i've been involved in. . .
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by allhavoc(m): 5:01am On Apr 11, 2009
Good info, Oyb and netotse.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 10:03am On Apr 11, 2009
Nice piece of info,@oyb.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 11:43am On Apr 11, 2009
@netotse
how's it hanging at shiroro? Did u ask after the guy oyb talked about?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

About The ICAN/ATS Examinations / Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 / How To Calculate Your New Salary Based On New National Minimum Wage: Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.