Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,443 members, 7,819,639 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners (128263 Views)

Poll: Which option of Electrical Engineering do you prefer?

Electronics and Telecoms: 68% (203 votes)
Power and Machinery: 28% (84 votes)
Lecturing: 3% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Mechatronic Engineers: aspirants and practitioners meet here. / Marine Engineering Aspirants And Practitioners: Any Future? / Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 1:47pm On Apr 28, 2009
So right you guys are.
Although I don't think it's a Nigerian thing. The fact is, from my previous and current experience, the fact is just that business most times are run by non-technical people with little or no appreciation of what technical deployments entail, or what is even involved.
I always have this running argument with marketing types in my office when they say they don't need to know how the industry works. I just tell them 'then you don't deserve to be in the industry!' Imagine a banker that doesn't understand the clearing process.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lekside44(m): 1:57pm On Apr 28, 2009
@sylink 1
mind you and everybody in the house. there is a difference between a polytechnic and a university. a graduate of university in the engineering field has underdone a different curriculum trainning from that which comes out from the polytechnic. according to the NSE  and COREN, these are the classifications/ qualifications
1, engineer, bsc and above
2, technologist, hnd
3, technician, ond
4, craftmen, nabtech, waec tech and other techical cert.
5, artician, practitionls who have learnt the trade with many years of experience
everybody has its own job to do. in western world, this disparity does not exist because the need of everybodies job is specified. in nigeria however, many of the people do not really knows who is who. in a nut shell, an engineer designs, and most cases supervies a project. they also uses time study and work study to increase production, reduces cost and thus are more of management in the eng field. they also discover new methods of achieving the same goal or attaining a better goal. a technologist is somebody that understand the current methodlogy. he works based on the engineers specification and supervises the craftmen and technicians. this is the reason why he must have years of experience which is the reason you must do your IT before doing your hnd. a tecnician and craftmen are practical people. they are the people you see on the field of engineering carring out one task or the other. so please dont advice people wrongly to change their mind to do what they do not want to do. rather, educate them. if you like to be practical, poly is the palce to be, but for the calculation and researchers, go to the university. you failing jamb this year only tells you to stepup against next year

1 Like

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by stealth007: 12:25am On Apr 29, 2009
Qudos to all respondents, it's a nice place to be.If I may ask, is there any Instrumentation and Control(I&C) Engineer in the house? This is where I planned to broaden my experience.I have discovered that it is difficult for one to have hands on experince in the said field in terms of trainning here in Nigeria.Is there any training organization apart from Applied Technology that could offer one training in Honeywell TDC 3000 and Experion here?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lekside44(m): 9:11am On Apr 30, 2009
@oyb
oyb:

@Ajanlekoko
i use visio, but mostly for organograms cheesy

its guys in IT/networking that typically go into visio as a drafting/design tool - the MS factor (imho) so much of the environment is based off microsoft apps, so its a natural transition

@neototse,

the fundamental diff btw designing and drafting would be something like this

where i worked (CA) the drafters would print xrefed architectural drawings(these are drawings with all info not relevant to the design process removed) and pass these to us.
one would markup the design on the hard copies, hand these back to the drafters, and they would draft the drawings ie simply draw what they saw

in the event that a person with design knowledge is doing the work directly, without first marking up on paper, that is designing

sort of like typing - you write something on a sheet and hand it over to a typist to type - thats copy typing - you do it yourself, thats er . . .don't know what they call it

what happened is that our resident architectural drafter did the building drawings. i took these, xrefed them, and did the electrical designs

Autocad is a truly fantastic tool, but most of us use it as a substitute for a drawing board. for instance , i have cad routines that can generate schedules of items in my drawing.

autocad ties in with practically any engineering discipline, but yur use of it would depend on what you do. an architect is unlikely to use/customize autocad the way a mechanical engineer would.

if you were involved in designing power protection schemes, you might use autocad to prepare these. there's something i remember from my days at jiyoda. part of the power calculations involve a mohrs circle

this used to be done with a protractor , compass , pencil and paper, but one day i realized that it could be done in cad. and it would be much faster once a template had been created. they're still doing that now.

the real problem with learning autocad is that if you don't learn it in a professional environment, you will have a lousy foundation, and do so many things wrong - and you won't realize this. the architectural drafter in my office is a prime example. the man considers himself to be an autocad guru, but he is unable to do more than use autocad as an electronic drawing board. as i said, if you understand and really utilize autocad, there is no limit to how much you can speed up your work process. try to understand the use of layers, blocks and attributes. these are essential to competent/professional use of autocad.

if you hit up rapidlibrary or filestube with 'autocad for dummies' or 'autocad bible' you will get links to autocad ebooks on rapidshare. type in autocad 2010, and you'll get links to autocad 2010, and so on.

so great website

google lynn allen, melanie perry, cadtutor, www.theswamp.org, ellenfinkentsen ; these are blogs/ cad forums

nice drawings, keep it up. the use of computer in engineering dates back with programming. the ease with which it offers the engineer to do its job contributed to the polularity of the computer which we have today since there are little or no applications for the computer, such as word processor, spreedsheets, multimedia e.t.c,
i will generally classify the use of computers for engineers into 4 major category
1, programming e.g basic, fortran, c ,c++, java e.t.c. these enables the engineer to do calculations of the formulars he has programmed into the computer
2, computer aided design (CAD) e.g autocad, cadkey, archicad, generic cad e.t.c these enables the engineer to use the computer as a drafting machine. because it can represent the design project before production/construction, we can use CAD as a modelling maching. this aslo enables cad integareted with presentation managers to be used for presentations at seminars, classrooms and industries. automation makes CAD to be used for animation. CAD software also enables external ref. for specifications, costing and notes.
3, mathematical softwares and spreed sheets. e.g. mathscad, mathematical, m.s excel e.t.c. these enables the engineer to do complex mathematical calculations such as integratin, differntiation, differential equ. e.t.c . graphical representaion of results are possible. many mathematical softwares solve problems when you type the question the way you write them in your notebooks
4, simulation softwares e.g algol,pSPICE, e.t.c these are the last and most recent use of computers for engineers. it is still undergoing evolution unlike many other applications that have taking their standards. it tends to integrates every aspect of known topics into the design. since the knowledge of engineering is still evolving, it implies that the factors considered into the desing and thus the software are still elvoving. according to morse law, the amount of information available to mankind doubles say every 10 or 15 years. since all factors are important when considering design, i am voting for this software as the future of engineering. our knowledge of engineering is limited to what we learn in school. it should not be suprising that what we study for waec was what you need to know to be a graduate or even a proffesor many hundred years ago. the future generation may as well religate our current university curriculum as school cert. syllabus, thanks to the amount of infomation that must be known to them then. since we have limited capabilities and may ommit certain consideration during design due to omission, ignorant, e.t.c, i think all engineers should start learning simulation software because the outcome have little effect on your personal capabilities.
i have started a forum under programming tittled NIGERIAN ENGINEERS AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY. in this forum, we will be able to discuss softwares, their merits, limitations and what tools we engineers need to equiped ourselfs with. everybody in the house is invited for contributions, advices and education
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 1:26pm On May 02, 2009
lekside,
You're not making much sense, bro.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by cashful(m): 7:03pm On May 02, 2009
AjanleKoko:

lekside,
You're not making much sense, bro.

i agree with u,lekside is trying to crate an unnecessary distraction 2 this lovely topic
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 11:22am On May 04, 2009
hmm undecided
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 10:11am On May 05, 2009
stealth007:

Qudos to all respondents, it's a nice place to be.If I may ask, is there any Instrumentation and Control(I&C) Engineer in the house? This is where I planned to broaden my experience.I have discovered that it is difficult for one to have hands on experince in the said field in terms of trainning here in Nigeria.Is there any training organization apart from Applied Technology that could offer one training in Honeywell TDC 3000 and Experion here?

I've been out of control for a very long time, since 2000 in fact.
Will ask a former classmate who's at Siemens.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lekside44(m): 11:45am On May 06, 2009
@ ajanlekoko
i am sorry to you and everybody if i am creating unnecessary distraction in the house. my write up on who is an engineer and who a technician/ technologist is is in respond to the matter raised by sylink 1 where he said that people schould not waste time looking for admission in the university, but can proceed to the polytechnic. i am only trying to enligthing him and any other person that the university curriculum is different from that of a polytechnic. university trains and produces engineers while polytechnic trains and produces technologists/technicians.
my write up on software for engineers is in responce to question raised by oyb and i coute ", Autocad is a truly fantastic tool, but most of us use it as a substitute for a drawing board. , ", ", the real problem with learning autocad is that if you don't learn it in a professional environment, you will have a lousy foundation, and do so many things wrong - and you won't realize this. the architectural drafter in my office is a prime example. the man considers himself to be an autocad guru, but he is unable to do more than use autocad as an electronic drawing board. as i said, if you understand and really utilize autocad, there is no limit to how much you can speed up your work process. try to understand the use of layers, blocks and attributes. these are essential to competent/professional use of autocad." and the question posted @oyb ", whats the diff btw design and drafting? (as relates to autocad) , "
i have been in the computing arena for a while. i used the opporunity to answer the question raised and try to educate some other proffessionals on how to use the computer to improve their productivity.
i had classified these uses into 4 groups. the first i said which is programming is mostly used by engineers as a reusable calulator. to work out a particular formular such as v= u+at, just load up the formular, slot in your values and your answer is on your desktop.
the second which is cad is what is generally not understood by people. this is the question neototse asked oyb which many people can not still figures out. computer aided designs CAD are basically the computer versions of the drawing board with som additional capabilities which are not possible on ordinary drawing boards. these capabilities includes referrence to an ext file which could be another drawing files, database files, programing lang, or even offices app such as word, excel, power pt,e.t.c.
the last which is the simulation softwares are the real design tools. it simulates the real life conditions after the relevant datas which guides the properties of what is to be fed are inputed into the computer. for instant, a simulatition software could tells us what will be the I-V xteristic properties of a transistor say for 0.01% doping and 0.02% doping. thus the engineer can see in forhand what will happen to his circuit if he decided to use anyone. these simulation software would have been preprogrammed to behave or display certain I-V properties for a particular doping values. this saves the eng a lot of time and makes him to see in forhand what will happen to his design before production. the simulation softwares output is independed on the capabilty of the engineer, supposing in getting the final value of my output i need to say consider a potential well value and used it for my final result. if i did not considered this due to ommition or ignorant, the final output will not be what it is meant to be. thus the outcome of such softwares are independent of you. all you need to do is just to slot in your values and the real life situation of what will be wiil appear on your computer.
why i voted for simulation software as of engineering is this. the first plane was manufactured by the Wright Brotherswithout any design. this they can do because they understand the mechanisms of flying. this is technology and not engineering. a lot of people still do this mistake. they cannot figure out the differrent between technology and engineering. they felt making this to work is engineering, but it is not. the act of building the palne itself is craftmanship. knowing how the plane works and the mechanisms which does what in the plane is technology.but the enginnering itself involves the complex calculations of and in every components of the plane. it should be notted that we are still on the verge of unlocking nature to know the secrets of engineering. this is the reason why many advance countries are making research to know more about these secrets so as to have a better design. it should be notted that the internet which we are enjoying today is as a result of the american military wanting to coallate the results of these test from all its research universities and centres. the blue bird plane is one of such results. it is a spie plane that was design during the cold war era to spy on the ussr terrances in case of eventuallity wars. these planes flies in the upper atmosphere and thus non dectectable by radar systems. the formulations of these designs are kept secret. thus maybe it could be added to our future school theises if man sees that their would be more wars and thus an aeroplane can access these formulations into their future designs. it schould be notted that the camera in phones e.t.c we used freely today were once classified informations in the cold war eras. nowadays, such principles have been added to the sch curriculums. thus you all wiil agrre with me that eng is dynamic. the main difference between we and the and people of the iron age is the amount of information that is available to us. thanks to our libraries which stores those formulations for they generations yet to come. every year, knowledge is been aded and a lot more is needed to be cosidered in design. thus a simulation software can do more to us than we can at this moment.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 1:51pm On May 06, 2009
Oops undecided
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 3:11pm On May 06, 2009
@lekside44
its begining to seem like you jst want to make a point at the expense of this thread. your post(s) is/are fat too long and out of synch with this thread for me o(my brain refuses to concentrate long enough to get a grip on what u're saying) sad maybe if i started on a diff note it woulda been easier. . .dunno sha its prolly jst me
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by bawomolo(m): 4:30pm On May 07, 2009
this lekside44 dude is wilding out.

Just wanted to let you guys know i got admission to Grad School so wish me luck people.

I enjoy your contributions (especially Oyb's)

1 Like

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 5:32am On May 08, 2009
bawomolo:

this lekside44 dude is wilding out.

Just wanted to let you guys know i got admission to Grad School so wish me luck people.

I enjoy your contributions (especially Oyb's)

thanks. smiley

way to go! congrats!na big big money if u decide 2 come back home grin
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lekside44(m): 9:11am On May 08, 2009
@all
sorry guys, it seems i am not in the same ream with you guys. i migth have been living in the fourth dimension world which you guys fails to see. anyway, i promise not to make any contributions again that can bring about any spontaneous reaction with you guys. i pray you all to stay blessed and keep up your dreams and aspirations in engineering. the future of this country in engineering depends on you guys and many aspiring guys out there, bye for now.[color=#990000][/color]

2 Likes

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 10:01am On May 08, 2009
@lekside44.
I think we all misunderstand you in this thread. Most of your posts are factual. I look forward to your contributions.

1 Like

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 11:04am On May 08, 2009
most of this stuff does not apply in nigeria, as our industries are dead

let me start with autocad

AutoCAD s produced by autodesk. on its own, it produces what can be termed as 'dumb' drawings. in the strictest sense that is no longer true, as enhancements are added to each edition

several third party companies build addons that enable autocad to be used in other engineering disciplines. examples are the magicad building services design series, coade cadworx plant design suite. these tools introduce actual direct discipline based designing into autocad.

more importantly, Autodesk produces what is known as autocad verticals

these include
autocad architecture
autocad mep (mechanical electrical plumbing)
autocad civil 3d
autocad PID (plant instrumentation and design)
autocad plant 3d
autocad electrical

these are greatly enhanced versions of autocad that provide tools for direct design.btw, bawomolo , your profs may be interested to know that parametrics have been introed to autocad 2010. wink

autocads competitor is bentley systems , who produce microstation. i haven't used microstation, so i can't say much about verticals, though it seems bentley has been buying up a lot of companies eg staad pro's authors, probably so they can integrate the applications with microstation in the future

as to simulation softwares

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-aided_manufacturing

CAM
Computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) is the use of computer-based software tools that assist engineers and machinists in manufacturing or prototyping product components. CAM is a programming tool that makes it possible to manufacture physical models using computer-aided design (CAD) programs. CAM creates real life versions of components designed within a software package. CAM was first used in 1971 for car body design and tooling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-aided_engineering

CAE
Computer-aided engineering (often referred to as CAE) is the use of information technology to support engineers in tasks such as analysis, simulation, design, manufacture, planning, diagnosis, and repair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-aided_design

CAD

Computer-aided design (CAD) is the use of computer technology for the design of objects, real or virtual. The design of geometric models for object shapes, in particular, is often called computer-aided geometric design (CAGD).

However CAD often involves more than just shapes. As in the manual drafting of technical and engineering drawings, the output of CAD often must convey also symbolic information such as materials, processes, dimensions, and tolerances, according to application-specific conventions.

CAD may be used to design curves and figures in two-dimensional ("2D"wink space; or curves, surfaces, or solids in three-dimensional ("3D"wink objects. [1]

CAD is an important industrial art extensively used in many applications, including automotive, shipbuilding, and aerospace industries, industrial and architectural design, prostethics, and many more. CAD is also widely used to produce computer animation for special effects in movies, advertising, technical manuals. The modern ubiquity and power of computers means that even perfume bottles and shampoo dispensers are designed using techniques unheard of by shipbuilders of 1960s. Because of its enormous economic importance, CAD has been a major driving force for research in computational geometry, computer graphics (both hardware and software), and discrete differential geometry.[2

the following are tools utilized for the simulations leklside was referring to :CATIA , Siemens NX, Pro/ENGINEER, SolidWorks, Autodesk Inventor and SolidEdge.

note that most of this is sadly irrelevant to nigeria.

i first was introduced to autocad mep in my former company. then it was known as autodesk building systems. we bought a network license. i doubt if they are using 30% of its capability, though to be honest, the same seems to apply everywhere, for the reason that

1) autocad has a high learning curve, and its verticals are worse
2) basic 2d design using 'vanilla' autocad still works, (transiting to a new system is always a bitch.
3) pricing ; i may be wrong, but i believe all autocad verticals have to be procured through autodesk subscription', which is a controversial marketing scheme by autodesk , buy license at a higher price, and get updates reduced costs for a number of years. last year, autodesk sweetened autodesk subsription( they had to, the new autocad 2009 was in danger of getting vista's rep, it was slow, introucded a new UI, etc - i loved it though - why wouldn't i. i didn't pay $4000 for it  wink ), they introduced some bonus packs which have shipped with autocad 2010 )

offtopic; to avoid any confusion, a new version of autocad is released end of march every year(another source of complaint by users, the bugs in the current version haven't been ironed out, ad more bugs are being introduced , named for the coming year. so the latest version is 2010; don't let any PC village Arrow tell you otherwise.

as to solidworks and co, nigeria has no manufacturing industries, so what will we do with them

a bit of humor

check out these fella poking fun at autodesk subscription

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=28517.0
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 11:38am On May 08, 2009
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by bawomolo(m): 9:09pm On May 08, 2009
lekside44 does make some points, he just needs to condense his posts. too textbookish
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lekside44(m): 9:32pm On May 10, 2009
@ajanlekoko
at page 4 of this thread, you claim to have more than 100,000 volumes of ebooks relating to just about every topic you can imagine and hundreds of physical volumes of as well. thats very good of you. but i will like to ask a question here, why so many volumes?
the truth of the matter is this, we are in the world in which is governed by forces of nature. our aims as engineers, scientists, researchers e.t.c is to study and understand these forces of nature and then applied it to achive our aims. i also have thosands of books which worths close to a million in different diverse aspect of engineering, science, computers/programming and few other econ/business books of interest. the very reasons why people like ajanlekoko and me keeps such large volumes of materials is that we keeps them mostly for referrence purposes. it is really impossible for me to read back to back all the volumes i have. rather, i brows through and read parts that are of much interest.
bawomolo:

lekside44 does make some points, he just needs to condense his posts. too textbookish
@bawomolo
if we can reffers to these during our basic design, how much more for a multimillion/billion dolars projects like space travel. any failure in design could causes wastage in the use of public funds and politically, a motion could be moved to end such projects. this was the almost the faith of nasa when the first apolo spacecraft cut fire and the explosion of the space shuttle few years ago. the failure could maybe due to a simple slack in design for example
1) brigdes collasped in pre world war america due to simple breeze, despite the fact that the forces which acted on this brigdes are notting when compared to the shearing/ yeild stress of the materials used in building these brigdes.reason for the collapse, the natural freq. of the breeze is the same as that of the bridge, resonace occurred and the bridge gave way. since then, brigdes are designed with resonance under consideration.
2)titanic scratches the tips of the icebag and it sank. from the eyewithness point of view, it was calculated that the force of impact the titanic used in impacting the ice is not enough to make the material give way. after futher investigation, it was seen that it was the suphur content in the steel that makes the ship to give way since sulphur makes a steel to be brittle under low temp. which is not observable at room temp.since then, things changes. sulphur were then removed from steels.
the truth is that when we designs, nature do not cares of our ignorant of facts which are not known to us. these phenonenoms were not known to accient engineers and thus can we really blame them for these defects in their designs?
everyday, knowledge is been added to the ones we already know. the limit of it all does not end with what we learn in schools. rather, we should see schools as a trainning ground and a place where we are ushered in into the proffession. knowledge and learnning is a life time thing. every year, theisis are published. this are new secrets of nature which are mearnt to be disgested and implied into new designs. this is one major reasons you are mandated to join your proffessional bodies and subcribes to magazines and journals so that you can be updated as to what is happenning in your fields. this things are not limited to eng alone, medical doctors are also applying new methods into treatments. lets say you are a doctor who grad. 20 years ago. if we know have a new epidemic such as sars virus now which was not known during your school era, will you not go back to your drawing board to learn about it and its possible solutions? sure you will and will not call yourself a book worm. you will analyse these new outbreak using scientific methods. this same thing applies to new discoveries in eng.[color=#006600][/color]

1 Like

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 10:02pm On May 10, 2009
^^^^^^^^

bawomolo:

cheesy grin lipsrsealed cheesy grin lipsrsealed cheesy grin lipsrsealed cheesy grin lipsrsealed cheesy grin lipsrsealed
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 8:40am On May 11, 2009
lekside44:

@ajanlekoko
at page 4 of this thread, you claim to have more than 100,000 volumes of ebooks relating to just about every topic you can imagine and hundreds of physical volumes of as well. thats very good of you. but i will like to ask a question here, why so many volumes?

Asides being a compulsive book-buyer and downloader? No other reason really.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lekside44(m): 9:10am On May 11, 2009
a bit of humor
[quote][/quote]
to start with, i will still want you to get the differnt between a simulation softwares and drafting softwares called cad. autocad is and still for now a drafting softare. a simulation software basically is a softarre that can change the shape of a object model based on the real life senero if such objects are subjected to certain conditions as it would be in a real life situation.for example, when a force is applied on a can, it deforms in shape. a simulation software could replicateds such senero it the can model in the computer is programmed to react to the force conditions generated in the computer. these they achive using finite element mathematics in which the total geometry of the object is divived into a number of parts and the deformation in each parts is calculated upon and its geometry changed. the more the numbers of subdivisions used in the finite elements, the more realistic the final output is. this is in analogy with the more the number of pixel a digital camera used, the more the clearity.
the a utocad verticals you mentioned such as autocad architecture, autocad mep (mechanical electrical plumbing),autocad civil 3d, autocad electrical e.t.c are just customised autocad softwares with large inbuilt drawing liberaries. consider an autocad mechanical software, this has a predrawn bolt, screws, e.t.c stored in its internal database library. using this specialised softwares saves you a lot of time and effort since you can import these drawings rather than starting from the scracth. the presence of these parts in the internal lib. of these softwares does not makes them really different from the parent software. the only way you can turn autocad into a simulation software is to write a program to change the geometrical shapes  of the known object in accordance with some given funtions or conditions which resembles the real life senaro. the shapes of the object is stored as it changes in diferent frames. this can then be animated and you see a simulation of how the body geometry changes  under the given conditions without even practicalising it. this is how most simulation software works. algor, for example imports drawings from autocad and works upon its geometry from its data inputs to achive simulations. this is the reason why autodesk is bidding for the company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALGOR

http://pressreleases.autodesk.com/index.php?s=press_releases&item=510%3C%2Ftd%3E

the magicad building services design series, coade cadworx plant design suite could be a similar software like algor .
even do, i have not used the autocad 2010 edition, i think the product line is moving in the direction of a simulation software. modeling and simulation softwares are not the same, but the collaborates with each other. the image attarched to this writeup is a model drawn with cad drawing softwares such as autocad. it is not a simulation software. it however, an animation video is showing how the shape of this object changes under a condition such as pressure, then it becomes a simulation software. simulation is related to animation. however simulation shows the true life senero of an event while animated shapes may not be an exert replication of the true life senaro.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 9:20am On May 11, 2009
@lekside44
once again the post is too long. . .not even going to try(bros abeg now, i dey beg u no be small easy on the lectures now i've just finished 5years of them i can like to be very tired!)
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 11:38am On May 11, 2009
@ lekside, the only thing you are demonstrating is that you have not used any of the tools you are talking about in a professional environment, and that you are not truly familiar with the use of software to streamline, automate and improve the production process in any organization.

this is why you keep recanting the absurdity that autocad is a 'drafting' tool. i have heard some people also say that microsoft word is a 'typist' tool.

you are highlighting the issues i have with so many self described 'autocad experts'.

i may have to install a screen capture tool and uploada gif file demonstrating the use of autocad to generate a bill of quantities.

an autocad mechanical software, this has a predrawn bolt, screws, e.t.c stored in its internal database library.

there are several utilities called block managers that do this. i can give you a drawing that appears to be empty but that actually contains all the layers, blocks, lionetypes, layouts etc that i use. . you can manage blocks using autocad's deign center, tool paleetes, third party commercial tools like cadwerx blockwerx, or Free tools developed by the fine fellows at www.theswamp.org.

the a utocad verticals you mentioned such as autocad architecture, autocad mep (mechanical electrical plumbing),autocad civil 3d, autocad electrical e.t.c are just customised autocad softwares with large inbuilt drawing liberaries.

sorry, they are far more than that. with autocad mep, you can determine the total electrical load of your building, size your pipes on the fly, execute collission detection, , provide accurate equipment  layouts. . . i cannot begin to describe all the things you can do with a vertical, if you take the time to master it.

to start with, i will still want you to get the differnt between a simulation softwares and drafting softwares called cad. autocad is and still for now a drafting softare. a simulation software basically is a softarre that can change the shape of a object model based on the real life senero if such objects are subjected to certain conditions as it would be in a real life situation.for example, when a force is applied on a can, it deforms in shape. a simulation software could replicateds such senero it the can model in the computer is programmed to react to the force conditions generated in the computer. these they achive using finite element mathematics in which the total geometry of the object is divived into a number of parts and the deformation in each parts is calculated upon and its geometry changed. the more the numbers of subdivisions used in the finite elements, the more realistic the final output is. this is in analogy with the more the number of pixel a digital camera used, the more the clearity.

i pointed out earlier that the tools you are talking about here are autodesk inventor/solidworks/catia etal.

abeg, sorry, but this is not a class of CAD illiterates who will swallow anything you say, and who will be amazed at the 'wonder' of some shaded 3D models. be mindful of talking about what you do not know.

there's something i read somewhere, as long as i know 5% more than a person who knows 0% on a subject i can bamboozle him. however, if he knows 30% , i will need like 70% to be able to bamboozle him.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 12:28pm On May 11, 2009
Guys,
which ones na?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 1:06pm On May 11, 2009
^^^^

don't mind me o. . .

just that 'experts' make me touchy. . .
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 1:28pm On May 11, 2009
me too (especially when they cant make us dull people understand grin)
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 11, 2009
netotse:

me too (especially when they cant make us dull people understand grin)

now that you mention it, his posts actually do remind me of the way so many of my lecturers in school taught. . .one could glean very little from them in class, and even less from their handouts. . . cheesy grin

now, if i knew nothing at all about autocad, his posts would have left me feeling intimidated grin grin

thats something else you will come across in the workplace - people er formimg knowledge. a personcan start blathering about something, and you will be looking at the dude in admiration, until he switches to a topic you are familiar with, and you realise he's talking op, and forming gru. you have to be careful of people like this, esp if they are ogas, because it means when they tell you that this type of cable will work, you had better go and confirm by yourself - beause if they turn out to be wrong they will prolly turn it on you.

remiinds me of this day when an oga started forming pc guru and was talking about how pcs now use 256 mb of ram, (how to tell him my pc was using 1.5gb at the time cheesy) or when a colleague was telling someone who ws complaining abou his faulty laptop battery to put it in the freezer ( the solution for recovering data from a damaged hard drive) in both instances, the people are talking total crap, but if you know nothing about pcs. . .
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lekside44(m): 3:11pm On May 11, 2009
i throw in the towel, [color=#006600][/color]
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Puvguy: 8:39pm On May 11, 2009
@AjanleKoko

Thanks for your painstaking contributions which have shaped my thinking. I'm studing Elec/telco abroad but somehow bias to finance. I will like to know of my chances with a SAP FICO certification in Nigeria?. I have been so luck with access to ECC6 for about a year now

Thanks again for your love.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 1:46pm On May 12, 2009
Puvguy:

@AjanleKoko

Thanks for your painstaking contributions which have shaped my thinking. I'm studing Elec/telco abroad but somehow bias to finance. I will like to know of my chances with a SAP FICO certification in Nigeria?. I have been so luck with access to ECC6 for about a year now

Thanks again for your love.

Hi,
Never worked with SAP myself, at least not in a production environment, but I've had a similar stint as a business analyst working within financial systems.
There are not so many SAP shops in Nigeria, except for oil and gas. But they have good capacity to hire.
I would suggest that you back up the FICO certification with a finance certification. That's always the tricky part. Depending on whereabouts you are, could be ACCA or CPA. Those are tedious qualifications, but I'll always back a finance career, and that will definitely find you a good job, Nigeria or elsewhere.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by goodboybad(m): 3:25am On May 13, 2009
Hello guys.

I think this thread is a wonderful thing, and a big thank you to the person who started it, and to those who invested time in it to make it relevant (Ajanlekoko, oyb etc)

I graduated from UNN last year with a 2.1 in Electronic Engineering ( in UNN, you either do Electronic or Electrical Engineering, the two are not combined).
When I look back at my Uni years, one thing I really lacked was a mentor. Most times when I was studying some of my classmates would be like 'Wetin you dey jack this thing for? You think say you use am do anything for outside?'

Although I did not initially agree with them, I gradually slid into second gear, and by the time I was in final year, I was locked into 2.1

I was unable to go for NYSC 1st batch, and the dissappointment of watching my mates move on ahead of me jarred me into considering my career.

I have always wanted to be an engineer, and I chose electronic engineering, because as a kid I was fascinated with electronics. I cannot say how much electronic stuff I damaged, just because I wanted to look inside and find out how it worked

My problem is at this point I do not know which direction my career should take and what efforts I can make to push it along.
I love the concept of Microcontrollers, and how they can make a lot of things simple and elegant. I have an idea of programming - I thought myself VB, and I'm thinking of learning either CSharp or Java. And Im interested in robotics and DSPs. However I do not know how all of these are relevant to Nigeria. As a result I am thinking of branching into telecoms and I.T. I have started studying for CCNA.
I'm wondering if you guys have any advice to give me concerning where to focus on career wise.
I wonder if there is any other certification that may be important to me as an Electronic Engineer (not necessarily in the I.T./Telecoms field. could be any other field)

Question for OYB - I have always thought that AutoCad is irrelevant to electronic engineers. What do you think? Should I invest time in it? What do you think about MatLab? I know a something of Circuit Maker and Electronic Workbench.

thanks you guys.

I think this thread is a rare opportunity to interact with those who have been in the field, and may help fill the mentorship void that is present in many Undergrads and fresh grads.
Peace.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

About The ICAN/ATS Examinations / Ghanaian Nurse Who Twerked In Her Uniform Declared Wanted By Nurses Association / The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.