Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,461 members, 7,954,806 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:50 AM

Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( (11874 Views)

Can You Hold A First Class Degree And Be Jobless? / Sergeant First Class Ifeanyi Rapu Honored In The US After Completing 3-Year Tour / My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by oluwanoni: 2:35am On Aug 11, 2015
Most times we have to prove what with have, its not enough to graduate with a first class, u have to actually prove the merit of your first class except you got it easy.

I had a 2.1 4.++Cgpa in school, but the way I prove my self in capacity, it seems I had a first class , it just shows that we naija students just cram and drop on paper.

When I was in school I tell persons that there are different kinds of people in a classroom;

The brilliant students: very similar to intelligent but shine once in a while, they know a practical lot about every topic.

The clever students: Most times they shine on innate skills or ability to think on their feet, and probably would ace a Maths test they have never taken before.

The intelligent students: They are mostly students who have the ability to put knowledge on paper.

Some students are either 1 or a combination of 1 or 2 but not all three.

Example: That student in your class that answers every question but can seem to pass an exam....combination 1 & 2.
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by nitrogen(m): 6:59am On Aug 11, 2015
Oga, save your words and follow Jarus bumper to bumper, everything will change within a very short time.

Thank me later!
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Jarus(m): 8:02am On Aug 11, 2015
GrammarNazi:
Sometimes, I wish I hadn't graduated with 'First Class honours' sad

Sometimes, I wish I'd made a comfortable 2nd class upper or even lower.

And NO, I'm not kidding! angry

If I'd made a 2:1 or 2:2 like most other people did, nobody would expect me to have the answer to every question, simply because "but you're a first class graduate na". undecided

Nobody would be surprised that you still don't have a job, one year after youth service. When you tell people you're looking for a job, nobody would ask you dumb questions like "how can you be looking for a job, when you made first class? Companies should be chasing you with job offers na"

If I'd made a 2:1 or 2:2, nobody would put me under unnecessary pressure. Nobody would expect me to perform better than everyone else on the team, and when I miss something just like everyone else did, nobody would ask "how did you make first class sef?" angry

It's a pity that something that should be a thing of pride has become something I'm too ashamed to mention in public. These days, when I want to apply for a job, I debate whether to use 'First Class or second class upper' on my C.V. How do I explain that haven't gotten a job almost two years after NYSC? cry (and YES, I attended a Federal University).

I haven't even mentioned the embarrassment in the hands of these marketing companies. You see 'First Class' on my C.V, and you have the guts to invite me for an interview, to come market some stupid 'weight loss' product at monthly salary of #25k+variable commission embarassed

Chai!

I have suffered.....

First, I concede things are tighter now compared to our era (pre-economic meltdown of 2009) when banks, investment institutions and many other companies recruited on weekly basis. I graduated October 2006 with First Class honours and by December, even before my convocation, before NYSC, I had two offers, StanbicIBTC and Vetiva, and at various stages of KPMG and UAC, and turned down test invites from Accenture. And I didn't even bother to apply to banks, only StanbicIBTC - where my CV was submitted by someone else.

Many of my classmates were being aborbed by banks in probbaly worst clase scenario. My classmates littered investment firms like BGL, Merristem, Vetiva, UBA Capital, PHB Capital etc.

By the time we finished NYSC in 2008, it still hadn't got so bad. I got Oando two weeks after NYSC and didn't show up at the final stage of Shell.

Surplus as jobs appeared to be in the period I talked about, it doesn't mean that we sat at home and expected the jobs to come and meet us. We used all things within our disposal Information and networking were especially critical.

Less than half of these jobs were advertised. Of all the companies which recruitment I underwent from the foregoing paragraphs, only UAC and Shell were advertised. Others were by passing CVs around to someone that worked there or friends of someone that worked there.

This is where information is key. You don't sit down and expect job to come and meet you, even if you have first class from Harvard.

You need to hustle, you need to do unconventional things, you need to network, you need to do daring things. I once saw the email address of the CEO of a multinational consulting firm in newspaper and politely sent an email to her, praising her company and asking for opportunity to be invited for their test. She acknowlegded the email and said she had passed to her HR.

Job hunting is hustle. Talk to people. Dont be shy. I have countless stories to tell, of myself anf friends, but let me stop here.

And by the way, how old are you? Have yyou written the tests of KPMG, PwC, etc? How did you fare in the tests of companies you have written in the last 2 years? I dont want to believe you have not written any test.

First class is a great opportunity if well used. It was highly helpful to me.

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 8:47am On Aug 11, 2015
Jarus:

First, I concede things are tighter now compared to our era (pre-economic meltdown of 2009) when banks, investment institutions and many other companies recruited on weekly basis. I graduated October 2006 with First Class honours and by December, even before my convocation, before NYSC, I had two offers, StanbicIBTC and Vetiva, and at various stages of KPMG and UAC, and turned down test invites from Accenture. And I didn't even bother to apply to banks, only StanbicIBTC - where my CV was submitted by someone else.

Many of my classmates were being aborbed by banks in probbaly worst clase scenario. My classmates littered investment firms like BGL, Merristem, Vetiva, UBA Capital, PHB Capital etc.

By the time we finished NYSC in 2008, it still hadn't got so bad. I got Oando two weeks after NYSC and didn't show up at the final stage of Shell.

Surplus as jobs appeared to be in the period I talked about, it doesn't mean that we sat at home and expected the jobs to come and meet us. We used all things within our disposal Information and networking were especially critical.

Less than half of these jobs were advertised. Of all the companies which recruitment I underwent from the foregoing paragraphs, only UAC and Shell were advertised. Others were by passing CVs around to someone that worked there or friends of someone that worked there.

This is where information is key. You don't sit down and expect job to come and meet you, even if you have first class from Harvard.

You need to hustle, you need to do unconventional things, you need to network, you need to do daring things. I once saw the email address of the CEO of a multinational consulting firm in newspaper and politely sent an email to her, praising her company and asking for opportunity to be invited for their test. She acknowlegded the email and said she had passed to her HR.

Job hunting is hustle. Talk to people. Dont be shy. I have countless stories to tell, of myself anf friends, but let me stop here.

And by the way, how old are you? Have yyou written the tests of KPMG, PwC, etc? How did you fare in the tests of companies you have written in the last 2 years? I dont want to believe you have not written any test.

Wow! shocked
Thanks Boss!
You're right...in more ways than one.
I've been putting in efforts to network and improve myself all round. This post is actually one such effort...and I believe it's already paying off. Look what I've learnt from you guys. I'll continue to follow your advice, and hopefully, my dream job will come sooner, rather than later smiley

Thanks once again.

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 8:51am On Aug 11, 2015
oluwanoni:
Most times we have to prove what with have, its not enough to graduate with a first class, u have to actually prove the merit of your first class except you got it easy.

I had a 2.1 4.++Cgpa in school, but the way I prove my self in capacity, it seems I had a first class , it just shows that we naija students just cram and drop on paper.

When I was in school I tell persons that there are different kinds of people in a classroom;

The brilliant students: very similar to intelligent but shine once in a while, they know a practical lot about every topic.

The clever students: Most times they shine on innate skills or ability to think on their feet, and probably would ace a Maths test they have never taken before.

The intelligent students: They are mostly students who have the ability to put knowledge on paper.

Some students are either 1 or a combination of 1 or 2 but not all three.

Example: That student in your class that answers every question but can seem to pass an exam....combination 1 & 2.

So in your expert opinion, what group do you fall into? undecided

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 8:51am On Aug 11, 2015
nitrogen:
Oga, save your words and follow Jarus bumper to bumper, everything will change within a very short time.

Thank me later!

Done!!!

Lemme thank you now cheesy
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by nitrogen(m): 8:59am On Aug 11, 2015
@op, there you have it. Please visit his site (check his signature) for experiences shared by top professionals, all will motivate ya, trust me.
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by GoldCircle: 10:35am On Aug 11, 2015
Jarus:

You have said it all. Job hunting itself is a full time job. I say this because it takes time, skill and energy.

@op,There's the need to avoid these 25K+ jobs (many of them multi level marketing) and focus on the big picture. Mind you, by big picture, I don't mean focusing only on multinationals like SPDC, Exxonmobil or British gas. I'm saying avoid time wasters. Those 'small small' corner adverts in the Guardian of Tuesdays and Thursdays. I look forward to such a time I can mentor young peeps (fresh out of school) with a good degree and with a head on their shoulders. Competition is tough out there. Getting a good class of degree doesn't guarantee your meal ticket any more . You've got to go the extra mile.

#JustBelieve
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Jarus(m): 11:02am On Aug 11, 2015
GrammarNazi:

Wow! shocked
Thanks Boss!
You're right...in more ways than one.
I've been putting in efforts to network and improve myself all round. This post is actually one such effort...and I believe it's already paying off. Look what I've learnt from you guys. I'll continue to follow your advice, and hopefully, my dream job will come sooner, rather than later smiley

Thanks once again.

Send me a PM. If you're less than 26, let me see if I can pass your CV around.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 12:14pm On Aug 11, 2015
Jarus:

Cool cheesy
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by FunnyDude(m): 1:36pm On Aug 11, 2015
@Op are you sure you had a First class degree ? You baffles me though.
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 2:30pm On Aug 11, 2015
FunnyDude:
@Op are you sure you had a First class degree ? You baffles me though.

I'm sorry, but I can't "baffles you" tongue It's either "It baffles me" or "You baffle me" smiley

Now to answer your question, YES, I'm pretty sure I clearly read what class of degree is written on my certificate.
Thank you!

3 Likes

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by koolJ1(f): 2:56pm On Aug 11, 2015
Pelmet:
onCe in ten yearS...law? maths? BioChemistry? You attended a federal uni...that should make it very difficult for anyone but No P though. Jez know that 1st class is super cool and you let ppl know that it doesn't really quantify your intelligence...be happy

At the mention of Biochemistry, everybody goes on the alert, lol! It isn't half as bad as people paint it to be though.
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by koolJ1(f): 3:01pm On Aug 11, 2015
GrammarNazi:

I'm sorry, but I can't "baffles you" tongue It's either "It baffles me" or "You baffle me" smiley

Now to answer your question, YES, I'm pretty sure I clearly read what class of degree is written on my certificate.
Thank you!

You should assess your situation and know what you have going for you. If you have age on your side, MNCs are there for u to give your best shot. Even if you don't, you should re-strategize your job search. Determine which industry you would most like to work in, which companies etc. Google these your companies of choice, get their email, send in unsolicited application with a well written cover letter. It won't work for all but it's a measurable progress. Keep in touch with them too by way of phone calls. Keep at it. Your reality will manifest in line with your most dominant thoughts so make them those of success. Wish you the very best.

2 Likes

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by oluwanoni: 7:21pm On Aug 11, 2015
So in your expert opinion, what group do you fall into? undecided[/quote]

grin...I don't confuse u ooo...Group 2 of course.
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 11, 2015
koolJ1:

You should assess your situation and know what you have going for you. If you have age on your side, MNCs are there for u to give your best shot. Even if you don't, you should re-strategize your job search. Determine which industry you would most like to work in, which companies etc. Google these your companies of choice, get their email, send in unsolicited application with a well written cover letter. It won't work for all but it's a measurable progress. Keep in touch with them too by way of phone calls. Keep at it. Your reality will manifest in line with your most dominant thoughts so make them those of success. Wish you the very best.

Thanks Ma'am.

Unfortunately, I'm quite averse to the idea of sending unsolicited CVs; I have this irrational fear of someday coming across a woman using a copy of my CV to wrap Akara sad

Other suggestions are noted anyway.
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by emmabod(m): 1:06am On Aug 12, 2015
I don't think this guy @op is the kind of person as described by himself he is. I'm being suspicious *pensive* about his replies.
anyway.....i think you have achieved your aim-- *strong advice*
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by FunnyDude(m): 10:09am On Aug 12, 2015
GrammarNazi:

Thank you!
Really? Then why didn't you harness your first class brain to real application of your discipline.And even though,you got first class,I pretty sure is one of those mushroom,new founded Universities.

First class my ASS

The world reward those who got first class personality and not A4 paper called certificate

If you like quote me

Who bloody cares

So far you're not solving any problem in the society

Who Cares?

#FunnyDude#
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by neahyo(m): 10:55am On Aug 14, 2015
You funny gan funnydude

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Koboseadotorg(m): 9:54pm On Aug 19, 2015
FunnyDude:

Really? Then why didn't you harness your first class brain to real application of your discipline.And even though,you got first class,I pretty sure is one of those mushroom,new founded Universities.

First class my ASS

The world reward those who got first class personality and not A4 paper called certificate

If you like quote me

Who bloody cares

So far you're not solving any problem in the society

Who Cares?

#FunnyDude#
The only difference between the newly established unis and the damn old ones is the sadistic lecturers in the later.
So blame them(ur lecturers) for feeding their wicked minds with ur scores and not the guy that graduated with first class.
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by FunnyDude(m): 1:02am On Aug 20, 2015
NairalandDotOrg:

The only difference between the newly established unis and the damn old ones is the sadistic lecturers in the later.
So blame them(ur lecturers) for feeding their wicked minds with ur scores and not the guy that graduated with first class.
And how sure are you I schooled in Nigerian University?

Pls think before commenting with ur Ass.
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Koboseadotorg(m): 6:35am On Aug 20, 2015
FunnyDude:

And how sure are you I schooled in Nigerian University?

Pls think before commenting with ur Ass.
And since you didn't school in Nigeria, why did you conclude that the newly established unis are inferior to the old ones in learning?

Anyway, now I know that you schooled in Kenya. GOODLUCK
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by cassyrooy(m): 9:08am On Aug 20, 2015
GrammarNazi:
Sometimes, I wish I hadn't graduated with 'First Class honours' sad

Sometimes, I wish I'd made a comfortable 2nd class upper or even lower.

And NO, I'm not kidding! angry

If I'd made a 2:1 or 2:2 like most other people did, nobody would expect me to have the answer to every question, simply because "but you're a first class graduate na". undecided

Nobody would be surprised that you still don't have a job, one year after youth service. When you tell people you're looking for a job, nobody would ask you dumb questions like "how can you be looking for a job, when you made first class? Companies should be chasing you with job offers na"

If I'd made a 2:1 or 2:2, nobody would put me under unnecessary pressure. Nobody would expect me to perform better than everyone else on the team, and when I miss something just like everyone else did, nobody would ask "how did you make first class sef?" angry

It's a pity that something that should be a thing of pride has become something I'm too ashamed to mention in public. These days, when I want to apply for a job, I debate whether to use 'First Class or second class upper' on my C.V. How do I explain that haven't gotten a job almost two years after NYSC? cry (and YES, I attended a Federal University).

I haven't even mentioned the embarrassment in the hands of these marketing companies. You see 'First Class' on my C.V, and you have the guts to invite me for an interview, to come market some stupid 'weight loss' product at monthly salary of #25k+variable commission embarassed

Chai!

I have suffered.....
For me, 1st Class or nothing!

2.1 ain't bad, so any is classy for me.
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by soulhighman(m): 11:02am On Aug 21, 2015
Jarus:

Sir, i have been reading many of your posts here on nairaland many times, now i think I need to click on the follow button and as well visit your website. I will alos love to connect with you on LinkedIn. you might not know, there are probably a lot of people like me that have learnt from you passively here on nairaland.
BTW sir, I also made a first class. I studied microbiology from a federal university. I always think of it, I don't want that degree to waste. A friend of mine, the overall best on school once told me "guy use ur gp well".
Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by Godsonpaul: 2:34pm On Apr 08, 2016
@Yorke1, It's just not possible to have first class with nothing upstairs. First which I know is an all-round assessment, not just paper work. His predicament might be as a result of failed government.

3 Likes

Re: Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( by karbie(f): 11:53pm On Jun 14, 2020
Self study and ace your examinations with the right study packs, like I did.

Prepare for your ACCA and ICAN (ATS & Professional) examinations with the ICAN new study packs for all levels and get all necessary past questions and answers for a token.

Click on the whatsapp link below to get them https:///2347084890881

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting / Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? / Benue Civil Servants Shun Offices Over Six Months Salary Arrears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.