Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,453 members, 7,812,384 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:34 PM

Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu (2522 Views)

Lawan, Akume Lead Anti-saraki Senators Out Of Plenary In Protest / Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu. / Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Nobody: 8:49am On Aug 06, 2015
Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu

August 6, 2015

Unity Group Senators Seem To Have Backed Out Of Their Opposition To Bukola Saraki’s Leadership And Agreed To Serve In Committees

Emeka Ekpunobi

The leadership crisis rocking the senate took a new twist yesterday as prominent pro- Ahmed Lawan senators, otherwise called “Unity Group” in the Upper House finally bowed to the Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki.

The senators topped the list of lawmakers scrambling for leadership of the yet-to-be reconstituted standing committees of the senate.

The committees are 57 in all. Some arrowheads of the anti-Saraki movement in the senate, who had allegedly been plotting to remove him, finally accepted to serve in the Committee on Rules and Business, which is the engine room of the senate.

A scheduled inauguration of the committee last week had to be shifted after its chairman, Senator Babajide Omoworare, and other pro-Lawan senators in the committee, boycotted the event.

Chairman of the pro-Lawan group, Senator Banarbas Gemade, also yesterday accepted to serve in the committee. The former works minister was also named chairman of the senate ad hoc committee on roads.

The appearance of both Gemade and Omoworare, who is die hard loyalist of former Lagos State governor, Ahmed Tinubu, in the committee yesterday, fueled speculation that the warring lawmakers may have dumped Senator Lawan and Tinubu.

The UNION learnt that the lastminute change of mind by the pro-Lawan senators to serve in the committee is now unsettling other members of the group who are said to be planning to jettison their opposition to Saraki.

A source close to the pro-Lawan group, told The UNION that inclusion of the core Lawan loyalists in the committee was part of plot by Saraki to break the rank of the aggrieved senators. Meanwhile, inaugurating the committee, Senate President Saraki, yesterday challenged the committee to evolve an e-parliament for the country, which would open a new chapter on legislative business in the nation.

The UNION reports that the Committee is also made up of the Vice Chairman, who is also the Senate Majority Leader, Senator Ali Ndume; Senator Barnabas Gemade, Senator Kabiru Marafa, Senator Joshua Lidani, Senator David Umaru, Senator Clifford Ordia, Senator Chukwuka Utazi and Senator Uche Ekwunife.

Saraki, while inaugurating the Committee in the National Assembly Complex, noted that members of the Committee were specially chosen to make a difference in managing the day-to-day business of lawmaking by the 8th Senate. “The challenge to us particularly is how do we take Eighth Senate to the issue of e-parliament. I think that is my charge to the members of this important Committee.

“You must start this new page in the history of the Senate, and I believe those who are members here have the capacity to do that and that is where we begin to say that the 8th Senate did make a difference and started to do something innovative and useful.

“I know that being led by the chairman, the majority leader and also distinguished senators, you must be the one that will change operational modalities of the Senate because that is one of the things that we want you to do as you prepare the Order Paper of the 8th Senate on a daily basis,” he said.

He added that the composition of the Committee also shows that the 8th Senate is operating a policy of inclusiveness, having put politics behind it to face the real work of legislating for the country. “I think what we are also doing here is showing the world what we have always said that this is an inclusive Senate.

This is the Senate that is here to serve the people and leave politics behind and I think that having someone like Senator Babajide Omoworare as the Chairman of the Committee also goes to confirm that we are beginning to work our talk about composition of committee and allocation of responsibilities based on competence, experience and qualification,” he added.

Earlier, Omoworare, while thanking the Senate President for the honour, pledged that the committee would be innovative and proactive in the execution of its mandate. “We will carry out our mandate diligently, passionately and resolutely.

We will ensure that there is fairness in the scheduling of the business of the Senate. “The Committee notes that, after 16 years of democracy in Nigeria, there should be a near uniformity and standard in the Standing Orders of the legislature in Nigeria.

We will strive to accomplish this. “The Committee is committed to the early realization of your vision to implement as a matter of urgency, the eparliament technology that will enable Senators access to Order Paper, Notice Paper, Legislative Calendar and other operational legislative information online and real time.

It will also enable us to properly monitor oversight, committee works and other legislative chores,” Omoworare said. He stated that in addition to facilitating Senate Legislative Business, the e-parliament would align the Senate with international best practice as well as enable members of the public to have advance information with respect to Senate activities.

“Thus enlarging the frontiers of legislative participation by the public, ensure robust contribution by senators, deepen our democracy and strengthen the Legislature as an arm of government,” he added.
http://theunion.com.ng/news/senators-abandon-lawan-tinubu/
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by MRpii(m): 8:50am On Aug 06, 2015
Tinubu the man. Okurin meta eyan kan. Ftc
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Nobody: 8:50am On Aug 06, 2015
Use and throwaway

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Rexceedo: 8:50am On Aug 06, 2015
Its getting palpable day by day that APC is a concoction of sycophants and cynical politicians. Whom only clamour and rant when they're hungry..... Give'em fish- they'll keep quiet and follow u like a lamb!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Nobody: 8:51am On Aug 06, 2015
Failure is an orphan.Opolo eyes go soon clear grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Trailblazer1(m): 8:51am On Aug 06, 2015
undecided
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Nobody: 8:52am On Aug 06, 2015
I will advise Lawan and Remi Tinubu to accept co-chairmanship of the senate committee on refuse and sewage disposal to avoid losing in totality grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Ponponkon: 8:52am On Aug 06, 2015
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by PassingShot(m): 8:52am On Aug 06, 2015
See drama!

Anyway, it is said that the best strategy to survive is to keep your friends close and keep your enemies closer.

This may not end the crisis still.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by AshiwajuFoward: 8:53am On Aug 06, 2015
Which one is Union news again? Abi na that Deziani newspaper? cheesy
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Nobody: 8:53am On Aug 06, 2015
A source close to the pro-Lawan group, told The UNION that inclusion of the core Lawan loyalists in the committee was part of plot by Saraki to break the rank of the aggrieved senators.

This Saraki is a very good politician.Underate him at your own peril

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Nobody: 8:54am On Aug 06, 2015
Politics is not for the lily 'livered'. Even GEJ said "In politics, there are no permanent friends or enemies, just people with permanent INTERESTS"
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Nobody: 8:55am On Aug 06, 2015
scribespad:
Politics is not for the lily 'livered'. Even GEJ said "In politics, there are no permanent friends or enemies, just people with permanent INTERESTS"

well said they will only back you when they stand to gain from you
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by kulikuli26: 8:58am On Aug 06, 2015
It should be about service to ensure Change manifest in our lives not some self serving agenda of the LORDS. I'm ready to move on.
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Mogidi: 8:58am On Aug 06, 2015
A scheduled inauguration of the committee last week had to be shifted after its chairman, Senator Babajide Omoworare, and other pro-Lawan senators in the committee, boycotted the event.
Chairman of the pro-Lawan group, Senator Banarbas Gemade, also yesterday accepted to serve in the committee. The former works minister was also named chairman of the senate ad hoc committee on roads.

Tinubu how market?

2 Likes

Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by hazyfm1: 8:58am On Aug 06, 2015
chukwudi44:
Failure is an orphan.Opolo eyes go soon clear grin grin grin grin

IF THIS YOUR BAD BELLE FAKE NEWS FROM A FAKE SOURCE MAKE FP, I WILL SIGN OUT

UNIONPAPERS KO' UNIONBANK NI'
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by kulikuli26: 9:00am On Aug 06, 2015
PassingShot:
See drama!

Anyway, it is said that the best strategy to survive is to keep your friends close and keep your enemies closer.

This may not end the crisis still.
If that is been applied, why won't it end the crisis? You think both parties are happy about the impasse? Nigerians just want a Change in their lives not massaging of a godfather's ego.

2 Likes

Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Mogidi: 9:04am On Aug 06, 2015
hazyfm1:

Even governors are now rallying round Saraki, Tinubu is on his own.
Saturday PUNCH learnt that some governors, who seemed to favour Saraki, canvassed for a quick resolution of the crisis.

The governors, who were said to have included Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto State, reportedly warned that any delay in resolving the crisis would impact negatively on the party and the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.
http://www.punchng.com/news/senate-crisis-apc-govs-divided-over-saraki/
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by bonechamberlain(m): 9:06am On Aug 06, 2015
they are now beginning to have common sense. cause the continuous fighting would not be the best for the country
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Nobody: 9:09am On Aug 06, 2015
kulikuli26:

If that is been applied, why won't it end the crisis? You think both parties are happy about the impasse? Nigerians just want a Change in their lives not massaging of a godfather's ego.
All some people are only interested in hearing is that Tinubu is the godfather of all godfathers!! He has biten more than he can chew in Saraki
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by temitemi1(m): 9:10am On Aug 06, 2015
Saraki the slayer cheesy grin
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 06, 2015
hazyfm1:

If you like continue to digest the propaganda from the likes of The Nation and Punch,the facts on the ground prove otherwise
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 06, 2015
After effect of too much masturbation. I rather be a wailing wailer than a master masturbator
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Decibel: 9:13am On Aug 06, 2015
Saraki-The Lionel Messi of Nigerian politics.
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by PassingShot(m): 9:15am On Aug 06, 2015
kulikuli26:

Pay attention to the command words "may not". You didn't need to insinuate beyond what I wrote.
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 06, 2015
Decibel:
Saraki-The Lionel Messi of Nigerian politics.

The young man really learnt from his father
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by GINJALAND: 9:15am On Aug 06, 2015
hmm

Video : Boko Haram Release New Barbaric Video Of Beheading ( Download)
http://ginjaland.com/videos/video-boko-haram-release-new-barbaric-video-of-beheading-download
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by kiyosaki1(m): 9:17am On Aug 06, 2015
chukwudi44:

This Saraki is a very good politician.Underate him at your own peril
How much did that corrupt Saraki gave to you,with people like you around,this country might find it tough to have a meaningful progress
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by hazyfm1: 9:19am On Aug 06, 2015
chukwudi44:

If you like continue to digest the propaganda from the likes of The Nation and Punch,the facts on the ground prove otherwise

But chukwudi44 why do u hate APC so much that you don't even wish them well, I wished GEJ well for the first 2 years, I waited patiently for him to perform, but he kept disappointing. If all PDP stewards can just give this govt 1 year to perform, not sidelining constructive criticism, because it is a very useful tool, NIGERIA will be a better place.
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by ki02020(m): 9:19am On Aug 06, 2015
News from Man must chop bloggers undecided
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by kiyosaki1(m): 9:19am On Aug 06, 2015
chukwudi44:

The young man really learnt from his father
I knew the father very well and his style was totally different from what the "traitor" is practising,well time will tell
Re: Senators Abandon Lawan, Tinubu by Nobody: 9:21am On Aug 06, 2015
hazyfm1:

But chukwudi44 why do u hate APC so much that you don't even wish them well, I wished GEJ well for the first 2 years, I waited patiently for him to perform, but he kept disappointing. If all PDP stewards can just give this govt 1 year to perform, not sidelining constructive criticism, because it is a very useful govt tool, NIGERIA will be a better place.

So my support for an independent legislature devoid of control from the presidency or one local champion godfather means I don't wish well for my country?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pics: Nigeria's Youngest GOVERNOR Ever, Now KING Steps Out At Polo Event / How Amaechi Diverted Over N40 Billion Into Buhari’s Presidential Campaign / I Will Not Give Up fight - Nnamdi Kanu vows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.