Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed (11193 Views)

Woman Begs Her Estranged Husband To Come And Collect His Bride Price. Photos / Man Insists On Paying Extra Bride Price After Seeing His Wife In This Dress / 2016 Bride Price In Umuahia, Abia State (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Sagamite(m): 10:54am On Aug 06, 2015
Uganda's Supreme Court has ruled that the practice of refunding the bride price, or dowry, on the dissolution of a customary marriage is unconstitutional and should be banned.

The judges said it suggested that women were in a market place, and infringed on their right to divorce.

But they rejected the argument that the bride price itself was unconstitutional.

Campaigners said that the dowry turns a woman into the husband's property.

Should a marriage end in Uganda, the wife had been expected to refund the bride price - often paid in livestock.

But it was argued that as women tend to have less wealth than their husbands, many became trapped in an unhappy relationship.

The case was brought by the women's rights organisation Mifumi, who said that bride price encourages domestic violence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-33800840
Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by joseph1013: 11:04am On Aug 06, 2015
Bride price itself is fraud.

What is the argument for paying her parents to marry her? If the essence is to reward her parents for raising her, who compensates the husband's parents for raising him?

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Sagamite(m): 11:05am On Aug 06, 2015
These are the kinds of stuuuupid decisions cretins in power make that make me boil.

How did these cretins get to positions of justices of a Supreme Court?

As much as I am in full support of everyone's right to divorce and choose who they want to be with at any stage of their lives, how can these fuuktards say:

a) Requesting for repayment of bride price is unconstitutional and suggests that women were in a market place.

But

b) Asking for bride price is not unconstitutional and does not suggest that women were in a market place.

How fuukting moronic is that?

So it is constitutional to buy women but unconstitutional to ask for a refund if you don't want what you bought anymore?

Trust the feminist that brought the case: MIFUMI.

Their argument, as selfish as any feminist organisation, is to ban refund but make paying brideprice "optional".

Feminist would ALWAYS look for how to give women advantage. What ever way women can maintain any advantage is what is "women's rights" and "equality" to them. But all men's rights and advantages must be quashed.

Why can't it be ban payment of bride price? This automatically makes refund irrelevant. You can't get a refund for what you did not pay for.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Sagamite(m): 11:14am On Aug 06, 2015
joseph1013:

What is the argument for paying her parents to marry her? If the essence is to reward her parents for raising her, who compensates the husband's parents for raising him?

Exactly.

But feminists only see women's disadvantage as an issue.

Men's disadvantage is justified and a "reasonable consequence".

1 Like

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Joromi1: 11:24am On Aug 06, 2015
joseph1013:

What re u even saying? undecided
It's God's design and it's not just common to Africa. Naturally, men are supposed to care for women. Even in the family, daughters get special attention from parents...it's all natural.
If there's no bride price men would hump on any woman they see on the road like animals, marry them and dump them the next day. And how much is bride price anyway, that ur making so much fuss about?

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Sagamite(m): 11:34am On Aug 06, 2015
Joromi1:

It's God's design and it's not just common to Africa. Naturally, men are supposed to care for women. Even in the family, daughters get special attention from parents...it's all natural.
If there's no bride price men would hump on any woman they see on the road like animals, marry them and dump them the next day. And how much is bride price anyway, that ur making so much fuss about?

What a pure moronic fuuktard!

3 Likes

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by joseph1013: 2:02pm On Aug 06, 2015
Joromi1:

Argh...please read what you wrote again and check if it makes sense to you.

1. God's design? Which god? Please dont tell me it's the abrahamic god. Then we will have to stone to death non-virgins and other barbaric stuffs he sanctioned in your scriptures.

2. It's not common to Africa? Does that mean it is not fraud. Is rape peculiar to Africa?

3. Naturally, men are supposed to care for women? So naturally, women are not supposed to care for the men?

4. Even in the family, daughters get special attention from parents? You are not making sense. Does that include families that don't allow their daughters to go to schools because their place is in the kitchen? Is that part of the special attention?

5. If there's no bride price men would hump on any woman they see on the road like animals, marry them and dump them the next day. And how much is bride price anyway, that ur making so much fuss about?

So it's because of the bride price that men don't hump on women like animals?

It's not compulsory to make comments on nairaland. Even a fool is thought wise as long as he does not voice his opinions. Silence would have been golden for you.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Odunharry(m): 2:09pm On Aug 06, 2015
Joseph and sagamite nice points. ..
I hate hearing it a compensation for raising the female child..Are male children raised free or on credit?

6 Likes

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Joromi1: 3:34pm On Aug 06, 2015
Sagamite:

What a pure moronic fuuktard!
You're a fool!

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Joromi1: 3:36pm On Aug 06, 2015
joseph1013:

Argh...please read what you wrote again and check if it makes sense to you.

1. God's design? Which god? Please dont tell me it's the abrahamic god. Then we will have to stone to death non-virgins and other barbaric stuffs he sanctioned in your scriptures.

2. It's not common to Africa? Does that mean it is not fraud. Is rape peculiar to Africa?

3. Naturally, men are supposed to care for women? So naturally, women are not supposed to care for the men?

4. Even in the family, daughters get special attention from parents? You are not making sense. Does that include families that don't allow their daughters to go to schools because their place is in the kitchen? Is that part of the special attention?

So it's because of the bride price that men don't hump on women like animals?

It's not compulsory to make comments on nairaland. Even a fool is thought wise as long as he does not voice his opinions. Silence would have been golden for you.
I don't take atheists' views seriously. U don't know God, so how the hell do I explain the preciousness of women to you? cool
Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by joseph1013: 4:10pm On Aug 06, 2015
Joromi1:

I don't take atheists' views seriously. U don't know God, so how the hell do I explain the preciousness of women to you? cool

ad hominem! Not like I'm surprised.
Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by cococandy(f): 4:23pm On Aug 06, 2015
Dissolving the bride price thing altogether would have been better.
Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by thorpido(m): 4:45pm On Aug 06, 2015
They should have just cancelled bride price too.Why receive and make returning unconstitutional?

1 Like

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Sagamite(m): 5:03pm On Aug 06, 2015
Joromi1:

You're a fool!

You are a cretinous fuuktard!

Did you think you made sense with the junk you wrote, cretin?

1 Like

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Sagamite(m): 5:05pm On Aug 06, 2015
cococandy:
Dissolving the bride price thug altogether would have been better.

thorpido:
They should have just cancelled bride price too.Why receive and make returning unconstitutional?

The fuuktard called Joromi1 can't understand that simple argument.

Those are the kinds of cretins our failed education system is producing.

Reasoning zero.

Skelewu 110% expert.

4 Likes

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Sagamite(m): 5:06pm On Aug 06, 2015
Joromi1:

Moronic fuuktard, so you know God?

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by zeb04(f): 5:23pm On Aug 06, 2015
let's say you by a loaf of bread(since I can see peeps referring to women as commodity) and you eat the top. maybe you have eaten 10slices already but when you get to the renaming 3slices you notice it has mold.

do you return it and ask for refund?
or

at best you just return it.

if you want to argue/discuss intelligently, you dont start to curse. it weakens the purpose of the thread.

7 Likes

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by freecocoa(f): 5:33pm On Aug 06, 2015
While I think the bride price should be scrapped, I must say that it's totally unreasonable to ask for a refund after the woman's lived with you for years, doesn't make any sense whatsover.

What will you return to the woman before she leaves?

3 Likes

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by joseph1013: 6:51pm On Aug 06, 2015
freecocoa:
While I think the bride price should be scrapped, I must say that it's totally unreasonable to ask for a refund after the woman's lived with you for years, doesn't make any sense whatsover.

What will you give to the man who has wasted precious years with you?

Returning the bride price is the more reasonable option.

What's the deal with women always playing the victim?

5 Likes

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by tpiander: 7:08pm On Aug 06, 2015
How does Uganda matter concern Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Sagamite(m): 7:10pm On Aug 06, 2015
zeb04:
let's say you by a loaf of bread(since I can see peeps referring to women as commodity) and you eat the top. maybe you have eaten 10slices already but when you get to the renaming 3slices you notice it has mold.

or

if you want to argue/discuss intelligently, you dont start to curse. it weakens the purpose of the thread.

By asking this question, one can easily tell that you obviously live in Nigeria or some other third world country.

"Darling", if you live in a sane and advanced environment (not a shithole like Nigeria), not only will you return that bread, you will get an apology and a replacement (maybe even with a refund, hence the new bread is for free).

Pray Tesco, Sainbury's, Asda, Walmart, Morrissons, Carrefour, Aldi etc one day open a branch in Nigeria so you can experience quality customer service in your lifetime and stop being held at gunpoint by Omo-onibread illiterates.

By the way, the Ugandan courts just doublespeaked by making it clear Ugandan women are a commodity to be bought. What was just highlighted was that they are just a non-refundable commodity product.

6 Likes

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by tpiander: 7:14pm On Aug 06, 2015
where in Nigeria did you buy moldy bread, were your eyes closed when you were buying it?

Nobody sells moldy bread in naija, maybe in your locality they do however.

What you see is what you buy, the bread is displayed openly, and you see what you are buying.

Unless you're a compound i.diot, there's no way you will be conned into buying bread with mold on it.

who would even sell such to begin with?

1 Like

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by tpiander: 7:17pm On Aug 06, 2015
Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Sagamite(m): 7:19pm On Aug 06, 2015
freecocoa:

At least you are right with your logic about scrapping the bride price. But in regards to your question, why will you have to return anything to the woman? Are you assuming she paid groom price?
Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Joromi1: 7:51pm On Aug 06, 2015
Sagamite:

The fuuktard called Joromi1 can't understand that simple argument.

Those are the kinds of cretins our failed education system is producing.

Reasoning zero.

Skelewu 110% expert.
Child of hate! grin How many more mentions will I get from you? It's obvious that you're pained. The bride price ur wailing about is even a small pocket change and is refundable. So why are you crying? But no wahala. You may give out ur sisters free of charge, na u sabi grin grin
Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Joromi1: 8:12pm On Aug 06, 2015
zeb04:

or

Thanks. Sagamite is probably 16

1 Like

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Sagamite(m): 8:14pm On Aug 06, 2015
Joromi1:

Child of hate! grin How many more mentions will I get from you? It's obvious that you're pained. The bride price ur wailing about is even a small pocket change and is refundable. So why are you crying? But no wahala. You may give out ur sisters free of charge, na u sabi grin grin

Can you see what Nigerian failed schools have done to you?

1 Like

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by TV01(m): 8:25pm On Aug 06, 2015
Sa, Sa, Sa, Sagamite, omo Sagamu fun ara re! How far now? Not to derail, but its been a while. Good to see you hale and hearty and regulating without a care.

Pliss sa, now that your role model George Clooney has tied the knot, will you be reviewing your position vis-a-viz marriage? grin

TV

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Joromi1: 8:32pm On Aug 06, 2015
Sagamite:

Can you see what Nigerian failed schools have done to you?
Seriously, I don't know why you're wailing unnecessarily. There was a constitutional adjustment on marriage in Uganda and you're here crying like a kid who lost his peppermint. undecided I don't really understand your grievance....is it that the amendment favours the women or what? Don't u have value for them?
Even here in Nigeria, how much is bride price? No tribe or community charge above 2k, go figure. I'd have reasoned with you if u were talking about marriage rites, where a man is given a long list of items to buy because he wants to marry

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Sagamite(m): 8:36pm On Aug 06, 2015
TV01:
Sa, Sa, Sa, Sagamite, omo Sagamu fun ara re! How far now? Not to derail, but its been a while. Good to see you hale and hearty and regulating without a care.

Pliss sa, now that your role model George Clooney has tied the knot, will you be reviewing your position vis-a-viz marriage? grin

TV

Bruv, I dey o. grin

George Clooney is a sell-out.

I was so shocked at his marriage, I was admitted into hospital.

It was at the hospital that the doctors diagnose that I have gametophobia.

So, No, I am not reviewing my position. tongue grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Sagamite(m): 8:38pm On Aug 06, 2015
Joromi1:

Seriously, I don't know why you're wailing unnecessarily. There was a constitutional adjustment on marriage in Uganda and you're here crying like a kid who lost his peppermint. undecided I don't really understand your grievance....is it that the amendment favours the women or what? Don't u have value for them?
Even here in Nigeria, how much is bride price? No tribe or community charge above 2k, go figure. I'd have reasoned with you if u were talking about marriage rites, where a man is given a long list of items to buy because he wants to marry

Of course you are too thick to read and comprehend any kind of intellectual discourse.

So you wrote all that moronic rubbish about what God designed?

Is that the argument your dumb arsse was thought in school to present in a debate and what laws should be based on?

1 Like

Re: Uganda Bride Price Refund Outlawed by Sagamite(m): 8:40pm On Aug 06, 2015
Joromi1:

This is the nonsense your cretinous arsse wrote?

Name the moronic schools that produced you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dilemma - Candid And Honest Advice Needed / Good Bye Nairaland.....i Am Killing Myself This Night / Can A Matured Person Who Doesn't Indulge In Social Vices Be Termed Abnormal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.