Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,359 members, 7,812,014 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion (18896 Views)

Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End / External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn / Naira Further Crashes To N245 Per Dollar As Reserves Rise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by funmilade4real(m): 8:27am On Aug 10, 2015
Nigeria’s foreign reserves rose 0.2 per cent month-to-date to $31.5 billion as at last week, representing a $200 million increase from the July record, which was put at $31.3 billion.

The increase was expected given the increased efforts of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to reduce speculative attacks on the local unit, according to Ayodeji Eboh, the Head of Afrinvest Securities Limited.

“CBN continues to dismiss calls to devalue the naira. We expect that the pressure in the parallel market may soften as the foreign exchange market remains closely watched by the apex bank,” he said.

The naira, however, traded flat at N199.10/$ week-on-week at the interbank foreign exchange market, while amount of dollars sold remained reasonably below level of demand despite autonomous sales by oil companies.

CBN’s intervention in the interbank market at N197/$ pushed the week-on-week performance to stability in the segment, with its support for the action of deposit money banks to reject dollar deposits from customers into their domiciliary accounts.

“This was in a bid to stop illicit financial flows in the Nigerian Banking system and reduce the level of dollarization of the economy, with the underlying notice that banks had large volumes of foreign currency in their vaults,” Eboh added.

However, volatility was prevalent in the parallel market last week as the local unit closed at N210/$ on Monday, depreciated to N228/$ on Tuesday, but rebounded to N215.00/$ on Wednesday on account of the $80 million dollar sale made by CBN to Bureau de Change operators which boosted liquidity and eased the pressure.

The gains were pared on Thursday as the local unit depreciated to N224/$ in the parallel market, but did not come as a shock given the rise in quantity supplied, which prepared a platform for increased speculative activities.

Generally, the naira appreciated 44 basis points week-to-date to close the week at N224/$.

http://www.today.ng/money/08105968-nigerias-foreign-reserves-rise-to-31-5-billion/

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by Nobody: 8:37am On Aug 10, 2015
these can only happen under Sai buhari. that man that use to hoist bowler hat and his wife nearly ruin this country.

85 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by socialmediaman: 8:41am On Aug 10, 2015
Even with drop in oil revenue? I laugh. I remember one time an ex-president told workers to prepare for hard times just because he could not control corruption and funds leakages and theft that dwarfed government revenue

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by DrOkoroafor(m): 8:45am On Aug 10, 2015
Onijagidijagan:
these can only happen under Sai buhari
Don't get too excited.
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by slimfit1(m): 8:47am On Aug 10, 2015
Those dollars in the vault are the dollars Jonathan used to campaign don't we understand. Because I don't see a lot of businesses forming up for a sudden surge in dollars circulation.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by superstar1(m): 8:48am On Aug 10, 2015
A president depleted our foreign reserves to almost bankruptcy level while THE PRESIDENT is busy building it and restoring back what we lost in the years of lawlessness and profligacy.

64 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by 1shortblackboy: 8:49am On Aug 10, 2015
Onijagidijagan:
these can only happen under Sai buhari
I'm happy about d news but u don't have to lick d presidents boots. Calm down

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by bewla(m): 8:52am On Aug 10, 2015
very soon
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by Demdem(m): 8:53am On Aug 10, 2015
Every day I keep seeing reasons to continue to back the General with the same and stronger vigour I used in chasing out the curse Jonah-daft.

63 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by jmoore(m): 8:54am On Aug 10, 2015
Before nko, I no suppose rise?

Folks go dey celebrate because of 0.2 per cent rise. smh

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by queenzibah(f): 8:55am On Aug 10, 2015
socialmediaman:
Even with drop in oil revenue? I laugh. I remember one time an ex-president told workers to prepare for hard times just because he could not control corruption and funds leakages and theft that dwarfed government revenue
d increase is even very poor, cos ntg hav been done in dis country since may 29 even no ministersss so d increase is too poor cos its like our money is in fixed deposit till december. Baba go slow , poor baba y d small increase na wen u neva touch d money b4 nd havnt touch d new one comin in , nawa . Na one chance we dey . Ehe less I forget baba pls I'm misin new pix since dat ur photographer got wedded , plls sack nd probe him nd giv us corruption free photographer for more pix . Ehe baba less I forgot dat ur last pix wit obama is not full but cut also d oda group pix was cropped but dat guy charged all d same amount. Pls probe dat guy nd giv us more pix , we APC fans re misin new pix nd dats y we voted u sir. Thanks my shout out to: barcanista , tmitemi1, firefire, demdem phhocphockman , truckpusher, ishilove (my enemy) , lalasticlala (like him or her ) , seun (not his fan ) ......and others , if I didn't get ur name right pls try and answer name with good spelling nxt time

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by Nobody: 9:04am On Aug 10, 2015
Buhari is working,
Nigeria is working,
God is p watching ,
wailers are wailing!!

43 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by Nobody: 9:09am On Aug 10, 2015
Nice ride. Like Rome, we will rebuild Nigeria slowly.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by ykwildchild: 9:16am On Aug 10, 2015
It can only be SAI BABA
Gradually,we are getting there

In other news,order your football jerseys
https://www.nairaland.com/2447345/2015-2016-new-jerseys-available/2

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 10, 2015
Isp Enterprise, give us a call today

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by Georgekyrian(m): 9:17am On Aug 10, 2015
Noted
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by wisdomiskey(m): 9:17am On Aug 10, 2015
dat DUNCE called GEJ spoilt diz nation
buh Sai Baba iz repairing d mess.

haterz can go cry somewei grin

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 10, 2015
good...kudos..
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by kennyman2000(m): 9:17am On Aug 10, 2015
Okay oo
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by deebsman1(m): 9:18am On Aug 10, 2015
$200m increment in just a month, i think na positive news compared to during the administration of someone when it used to deplete month-in, month-out

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by Nobody: 9:18am On Aug 10, 2015
PMB, God will continue to give you more power to make this nation great again........

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by DrPrickson: 9:18am On Aug 10, 2015
has the ordinary man on the street feel the impact of this?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by elipheleh(m): 9:19am On Aug 10, 2015
Thanks to ndiigbo contribution
Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by freedom96: 9:19am On Aug 10, 2015
Some wailers be like:M still waiting for 1Naira equal to 1dollar....Whats the advantage of rise in foreign reserve when 1dollar is 200naira? undecided

Wailer don't ask me o.

Let's invite ecoterros aka madam shekau,an international political analyst and economist from anambra to explain.

Ecoterros,the stage is yours;

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by Nobody: 9:19am On Aug 10, 2015
queenzibah:
d increase is even very poor, cos ntg hav been done in dis country since may 29 even no ministersss so d increase is too poor cos its like our money is in fixed deposit till december. Baba go slow , poor baba y d small increase na wen u neva touch d money b4 nd havnt touch d new one comin in , nawa . Na one chance we dey . Ehe less I forget baba pls I'm misin new pix since dat ur photographer got wedded , plls sack nd probe him nd giv us corruption free photographer for more pix . Ehe baba less I forgot dat ur last pix wit obama is not full but cut also d oda group pix was cropped but dat guy charged all d same amount. Pls probe dat guy nd giv us more pix , we APC fans re misin new pix nd dats y we voted u sir. Thanks my shout out to: barcanista , tmitemi1, firefire, demdem phhocphockman , truckpusher, ishilove (my enemy) , lalasticlala (like him or her ) , seun (not his fan ) ......and others , if I didn't get ur name right pls try and answer name with good spelling nxt time
trust me ur brain is too unripe 2 be on social network...grow up kid!!!

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by merry02(m): 9:19am On Aug 10, 2015
Why won't it rise?we re only saving money in Nigeria bt nt trading..tht is nt hw to run economy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by jammani(m): 9:19am On Aug 10, 2015
Thank you president Olubukola Odinaka Muhammadu Buhari

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by braine(m): 9:19am On Aug 10, 2015
Theres no way to go except up.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion by belloabdulrazaq(m): 9:20am On Aug 10, 2015
Kadan kadan

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

On The People-Centric Decision Of PDP Governors To Zone Chairmanship To North / Adamawa Poll: Tinubu Urges Police To Conduct Full Investigation / Hushpuppi: Police Under Pressure From AGF, Others To Clear Abba Kyari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.