Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,787 members, 7,956,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:29 PM

Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? (18405 Views)

Monopoly Products In The Nigerian Food Market / Nigerian Food (Pictures Only) / Nigerian Food One Can Eat To Add Weight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by tope2000(f): 12:41am On Apr 06, 2009
onyinye2:

Eziokwu!!! grin

Pounded yam is just absolutely disgusting. I can't stand the site or smell. I like the rice and garri one better.
[b]Amala looks like the devil's left overs. I mean I would never put that stuff in my mouth.[/b]Snails should never be served. Arggg. . . . that mess is gross.
KINI!!! shocked shocked shocked

Roflmao grin grin
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by Nobody: 12:42am On Apr 06, 2009
Tatase:

@ topic:

Anything that has dried/smoked/stock fish
Anything with iru/dawadawa
Yam Pottage
Every soup except Afang, Edi ka ikong, Ogbono and Egusi
Beans, Akara, any other beans derivative except moi moi
Plantain Pottage
Starch
Garri (whether as Eba or for drinking)

Do you mean that unripe plantain porridge? If it is, try cooking it with ripe plantains. The unripe one is synonymous to ikokore. grin grin grin

I still don't get the hype with Igbo people over oha soup. undecided
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by onyinye2(f): 12:44am On Apr 06, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

OMG! I loved this. . . .the nut inside the kernel is just heavenly. . . . grin grin
What kinda pounded yam have you been eating?
Smell ke?
Idk, the one my mom buys at the market is just argggg. . . . i prefer garri instead. Esp the one that this yoruba lady sells, mayne her stock finishes in a week it is so good.

Groundnut soup. . . . I've only seen it in the episode of Goodtimes when Thelma almost marries the Nigerian guy before she finds out he is a polygamist. tongue
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by tope2000(f): 12:47am On Apr 06, 2009
i just went to chk out the groundnut soup n its yuck!! sorry lipsrsealed
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by Nobody: 12:47am On Apr 06, 2009
onyinye2:

Idk, the one my mom buys at the market is just argggg. . . . i prefer garri instead. Esp the one that this yoruba lady sells, mayne her stock finishes in a week it is so good.

Groundnut soup. . . . I've only seen it in the episode of Goodtimes when Thelma almost marries the Nigerian guy before she finds out he is a polygamist. tongue
Let me get this str8. . . .stockfish are the dry ones right?
The brown dry fish rolled and sustained in place with a stick?
OMG! All this names? undecided

Never tasted groundnut soup. . . .
Goodtimes (yoruba or English? lipsrsealed )
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by Nobody: 12:49am On Apr 06, 2009
tope2000:

i just went to chk out the groundnut soup n its yuck!! sorry lipsrsealed

groundnut soup is horrible.

stillwater:

Oha soup with pounded yam and goat meat/bush meat . . . trust me, you will be licking your fingers and doing oliver twist.
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by onyinye2(f): 12:51am On Apr 06, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

Let me get this str8. . . .stockfish are the dry ones right?
The brown dry fish rolled and sustained in place with a stick?
OMG! All this names?  undecided

Never tasted groundnut soup. . . .
Goodtimes (yoruba or English?  lipsrsealed )

Yes, stockfish are the dried ones

Yeah Goodtimes the english version. I have never seen the soup in person though.

And also, how can you be tired of puff puff?? I buy every day at the market as a snack. grin
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by tope2000(f): 12:51am On Apr 06, 2009
davidylan:

Oha soup with pounded yam and goat meat/bush meat . . . trust me, you will be licking your fingers and doing oliver twist.

I need to try this oha soup . . . . how is it made?
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by Tatase(f): 12:51am On Apr 06, 2009
stillwater:

Do you mean that unripe plantain porridge? If it is, try cooking it with ripe plantains. The unripe one is synonymous to ikokore. grin grin grin

I was referring to the unripe one, though. But I can only imagine the way ripe plantain pottage would be. <shudder> anyway one man's meat and all, i guess.

I agree about the oha soup (abi its the one that is a.k.a. achi with oha leaf?). I'll admit I don't like many soups but Oha is my worst (the leaf is so hard and you can still see the veins even after its cooked, ugh!), closely followed by Banga.
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by onyinye2(f): 12:52am On Apr 06, 2009
tope2000:

It is nasty as I don't know what. . . . . the meat people use is inhumane.
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by onyinye2(f): 12:54am On Apr 06, 2009
Tatase:

I was referring to the unripe one, though. But I can only imagine the way ripe plantain pottage would be. <shudder> anyway one man's meat and all, i guess.
I love plantain porridge. Esp when it is ripe and my mom adds gold potatoes mmm mmm good. grin
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by tope2000(f): 12:56am On Apr 06, 2009
onyinye2:

It is nasty as I don't know what. . . . . the meat people use is inhumane.

Really? undecided With the way david is talking abt it, one wud think its the best soup in the africa cheesy

but errrrm. . .plantain porridge? wat the hell is that? undecided
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by Nobody: 12:58am On Apr 06, 2009
davidylan:

Been there, done that, nothing special. tongue

Tatase:

I agree about the oha soup (abi its the one that is a.k.a. achi with oha leaf?). I'll admit I don't like many soups but Oha is my worst (the leaf is so hard and you can still see the veins even after its cooked, ugh!), closely followed by Banga.

I cook mine with chicken and nzuza leaves (I can't spell the leaves well). I'm a very picky eater, but I have to give myself a star on this one. cool grin
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by onyinye2(f): 1:00am On Apr 06, 2009
tope2000:

Really? undecided With the way david is talking abt it, one wud think its the best soup in the africa cheesy

but errrrm. . .plantain porridge? wat the hell is that? undecided
It is the worst soup ever made. I mean argggg. . . . it is inhumane for people to even make it.

Plantain porridge is my drug. Like I would pack it to school and all my little Nigerian friends would eat it with me. It is plantains with spinach, potatoes(optional), and whole bunch of other things that is just delicious. And healthy too. grin
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by Nobody: 1:10am On Apr 06, 2009
tope2000:

I dont know, i tasted it for the first time at an uncle's place. I found it odd because the leaves are cooked without chopping them but they are very soft in the soup so its not a problem. It looks a bit thicker than your normal soup, i'm going to learn to cook it when next i go home.

The soup is excellent! One igbo lady used to cook it where i was serving, she cooked it only on Tue and Thur and you had to book at least 2 days in advance that you were coming. That's how good the soup is.
All these fake yankee igbos. grin What do they know?
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by A40(m): 1:13am On Apr 06, 2009
vanitty:

hated it, no matter how much sugar or salt was put
It has a unique taste, too much palm oil also

Mehn you did miss out ooh the freshest aadun usually came from my Mom's village grin grin
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by onyinye2(f): 1:17am On Apr 06, 2009
davidylan:

All these fake yankee igbos.  grin What do they know?
obere mmanu na-akpa ike mana na ijere anoghi nso sad
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by tope2000(f): 1:19am On Apr 06, 2009
davidylan:

I dont know, i tasted it for the first time at an uncle's place. I found it odd because the leaves are cooked without chopping them but they are very soft in the soup so its not a problem. It looks a bit thicker than your normal soup, i'm going to learn to cook it when next i go home.

The soup is excellent! [b]One igbo lady used to cook it where i was serving, she cooked it only on Tue and Thur and you had to book at least 2 days in advance that you were coming. That's how good the soup is.[/b]All these fake yankee igbos. grin What do they know?

Rofl . . . . .book in advance for oha soup shocked shocked. . . . .jeeeeeeeeeeez
i must try it out wink
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by Nobody: 1:20am On Apr 06, 2009
tope na so we see am o . . . you had to arrive at her shop before 2pm if not na egusi you go chop. Or you tell her to reserve some for you in advance.
Abeg come to my village, my grandmother does a good job of it. grin

1 Like

Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by chiogo(f): 1:22am On Apr 06, 2009
HA ha I'm not even the only one who doesn't like oha soup.

Na wa oo, David, why are you lying? Oha soup is horrible!! cheesy
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by tope2000(f): 1:23am On Apr 06, 2009
davidylan:

tope na so we see am o . . . you had to arrive at her shop before 2pm if not na egusi you go chop. Or you tell her to reserve some for you in advance.
Abeg come to my village, my grandmother does a good job of it. grin

Oh Gosh grin grin grin
Are u serious??
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by LadyT(f): 1:23am On Apr 06, 2009
Boiled plantian is disgusting!

Palm oil is evil.

Why snails seriously nasty flavour.

I also hate tripe.

I hate ground rice.

OMG I hate bitter leaf stew
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:24am On Apr 06, 2009
moderation ko. moderation ni. palm oil is garbage and unnecessary.
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by tope2000(f): 1:25am On Apr 06, 2009
David i have found the oha soup recipe cheesy

Ora (Oha) Soup

Serves 4 - 6
(A Nigerian Dish) 4 oz. dried ora leaves
8 oz. smoked fish
3 tbsp. cocoyam paste (thickener)
2 oz. ground crayfish
4 lbs. beef
4 oz. palm oil
A dash of Accent
3 c. water
8 oz. stockfish
3 maggi cubes
A dash of hot pepper
Salt to taste

Cook the stockfish until tender. Add meat and cleaned dried fish and bring to a boil. Add cocoyam paste, crayfish, maggi cubes, Accent and palm oil. Cook for about 30 minutes stirring all the time. Add ora leaves, pepper, salt to taste and cover. Cook for another 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with farina, garri, alubo or your favorite fufu
--Variations--
Thick yam paste or mashed potato can be used in place of cocoyam paste as a thickener. To prepare: pour a glass of water into a saucepan. Heat and add about 6 ounces yam four or potato flakes. Stir and continue stirring until the paste thickens (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and add to soup as a thickener.
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by Nobody: 1:25am On Apr 06, 2009
tope2000:

Oh Gosh grin grin grin
Are u serious??

i had to stop when i realised up to a quarter of my alawi was going to her and her soup alone. It was not easy.
chiogo:

HA ha I'm not even the only one who doesn't like oha soup.

Na wa oo, David, why are you lying? Oha soup is horrible!!  cheesy

Chiogo, dont confuse tope . . . oha soup is a delicacy that never fails to titillate the palate.
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by Nobody: 1:26am On Apr 06, 2009
LadyT, in short you hate food abi? grin

I cant understand how you dislike palmoil, its richer in vitamin A than all those nonsense processed oils they sell you in the store. You dont like snails? Try frying them in some sauce . . . Hmmmmmm!

Thanks for the recipe tope, i will still wait for a pro to help out.
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:27am On Apr 06, 2009
Anything that has dried/smoked/stock fish
Anything with iru/dawadawa

Completely agree. All that stuff mentioned STINKS. Dont understand how people can eat something like smells like a castrated skunk.
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:28am On Apr 06, 2009
davidylan:

LadyT, in short you hate food abi?  grin

I cant understand how you dislike palmoil, its richer in vitamin A than all those nonsense processed oils they sell you in the store. You dont like snails? Try frying them in some sauce . . . Hmmmmmm!

Thanks for the recipe tope, i will still wait for a pro to help out.

Dont play yourself. Palm Oil is very bad for you. It's only good when someone puts werepe on you grin
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by LadyT(f): 1:29am On Apr 06, 2009
Palm oil has a flavour that is too strong.  Its thick and heavy and heart disease waiting to happen.

Snails are gross nasty texture and flavour is sick I made my mum stop cooking it because I would not eat.
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by Nobody: 1:29am On Apr 06, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Dont play yourself. Palm Oil is very bad for you. It's only good when someone puts werepe on you  grin

so you've been a victim of werepe? Ere pa e ti poju.
LadyT:

Palm oil has a flavour that is too strong.  Its thick and heavy and heart disease waiting to happen.

Snails are gross nasty texture and flavour is sick I made my mum stop cooking it because I would not eat.

LadyT you are missing a lot . . . Americans dont eat palm oil yet they have more incidence of heart disease than our parents who worship palm oil. Palm oil in moderation is good for ur eyes.
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by onyinye2(f): 1:30am On Apr 06, 2009
LadyT:

Boiled plantian is disgusting!
Kini!! Plantain boiled is scrumptious. tongue

LadyT:

Palm oil is evil.
True. . . . . so is every other oil besides extra virgin olive oil.
But you can buy palm oil without the cholesterol.

But what do I know right, I'm just a fake yankee igbo tongue
Re: Your worst Nigerian Food/dish? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:31am On Apr 06, 2009
[
Oyinye:

The meat they use is human

grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Chef Dammy Sings: I Can Cook And I Can Sing, I’m So Talented (Video) / Share Your Stew Recipe! / Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.