Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail (32870 Views)

Subsidy Removal: PPPRA Pegs Naira At N298/$ For Fuel Imports / Foreign Suppliers Blacklist Nigeria From Fuel Imports / Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refinaries Fails (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by ba7man(m): 11:28am On Aug 11, 2015
fx45:
What kind of improvement? Fuel sells for N110 almost everywhere. What nonsense are you talking about?
I just bought fuel at N87.

@ Topic. The refineries aren't working??........ yaaaaaayyyyy!!!!! Tanoids lets celebrate!!!!! This good news for us.

1 Like

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by oloyede252(m): 11:29am On Aug 11, 2015
zicoraads:
Improvement? Where is the improvement?

The question is, since the FG claim to be paying subsidies still, why are we buying fuel at 110/120?

Who brought us where? It is not about who brought us here, but who is here now. President Buhari was brought in to fix the problem, stop blaming his predecessor for every problem he encounters.
SEE YOUR LIFE...OR YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN YOUR SLOGAN "GEJ DID IT"

your now telling me its not about who brought us here.........abegi kill yaself before you die o

1 Like

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by oloyede252(m): 11:32am On Aug 11, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
I've been buying Fuel #100 naira since PMB came to town, all these refineries are functioning are all lies being peddled by APc to shore up the inaction of one slowpoke
madam you can lie for Africa @#100 feul small small now

so you mean all the gej did it,gej repaired our refinery is a scam.......
SEe Ya life
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by persius555(m): 11:35am On Aug 11, 2015
seems vandalism is the disruption tool thats going to be used by those who do not wish nigeria well. When will the NSCDC commence surveillance operations of our pipelines. This area is where we are going to have challenges in the future. Federal Govt better act fast as there are saboteurs everywhere even here on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by free2ryhme: 11:36am On Aug 11, 2015
Sincere9gerian:
AUGUST 11, 2015 : OKECHUKWU NNODIM AND FEMI ASU

Despite claims that Nigeria’s refineries are now operational, the country will have to depend largely on imported petrol in the third quarter of 2015.

It was learnt on Monday that import allocation for petrol was given to importers of the product last week.

Our correspondent gathered that no refinery had been able to produce petrol in commercial quantity in the past weeks, despite claims by the operators of the facilities that they had started refining crude oil to produce petroleum products.

In fact, senior officials of the Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources and the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency told our correspondent in Abuja on Monday that tankers still headed for Lagos to load products.

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation last month announced that the Port Harcourt Refining Company was ramping up capacity to about 60 per cent of the 210,000 barrels per day of crude capacity, while production from the Warri Refining and Petrochemical Company had been projected to hit 80 per cent of its installed 125,000 bpd capacity.

The Manager in charge of the Production Programming and Quality Control, Kaduna Refining and Petrochemicals Company, Shehu Malami, had reportedly said that the refinery would save about $5.33m daily for the country when it hits 90 per cent production capacity in the first quarter of 2016.

But officials at the petroleum ministry and the PPPRA wondered why the refineries had yet to churn out products, particularly petrol, if actually they were operational as claimed.

An official at the ministry, who spoke to our correspondent in confidence, said, “Has any of the refineries stated the quantity of products that they are actually churning out? It is already known that Nigeria consumes an average of 40 million litres per day; so, if the refineries are working, then you can now say maybe they are producing about 20 million litres per day and you can now subtract that from the imports.

“We need to verify if indeed they have started churning out products, not just on paper. Just two weeks ago, they gave letters of allocation to importers to bring in products to meet the third quarter consumption demand.”

In his reaction, the National President, Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, Mr. Chinedu Okoronkwo, said the refineries were working but they had constraints in terms of supplying products to marketers.

He said, “For now, marketers go to where they think they can get the products easily without problems. The refineries are working, no doubt, but we know that the pipelines are not functioning properly because of vandalism. We are working with the Federal Government to see how we can connect, especially Aba and Enugu up to Makurdi.

Soon, a lot of things will fall in place. Considering what they are producing now, if the pipelines are not in order, then they will not be able to get products across. However, I’m sure that the new government, being a government of change, is working on this issue.”

Meanwhile, the daily subsidy on a litre of petrol has dropped to N33.86 from a high of N51.61 on June 11, 2015, pricing template by the PPPRA showed on Monday.

The PPPRA put the landing cost of the product at N105.37 per litre as of August 7, down from N123.12 per litre on June 11, while the Expected Open Market Price was N120.86 per litre, compared to N138.61 on June 11.

Subsidy refers to the money paid, usually by the government, to keep prices below what they will otherwise be in a free market system.

There have been calls in some quarters urging the Muhammadu Buhari-led government to remove fuel subsidy, which has been described as wasteful and prone to corruption.

Nigeria, Africa’s top oil producer, relies on importation for most of its fuel needs as the country’s refineries operate below installed capacity. The sustained fall in global oil prices has triggered the decline in the landing cost of petrol as crude oil constitutes a major component in the pricing template.

Last week, the global benchmark Brent crude plunged below the $50 per barrel mark, for the first time in six months.

Brent, against which Nigeria’s oil is priced, was trading at $49.86 per barrel on Monday.

Analysts at Ecobank Capital including the Head of Energy Research, Mr. Dolapo Oni, noted that the Federal Government had decided to retain its fuel subsidies at least for another quarter as the PPPRA had recently selected 29 petroleum marketers to import 1.6 million tonnes of petrol, approximately 2.1 billion litres, for the third quarter of the year.

They said, “The decision to retain the fuel subsidies is particularly surprising given the government’s fiscal position is significantly constrained by the drop in oil prices and difficulties in selling its crude.”

They said, going forward, the government’s revenue and ability to sustain the fuel subsidies could be significantly challenged by trends in the global oil market.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/massive-fuel-imports-continue-as-refineries-fail/

With 16 years of PDP total failure and destruction, you i.diots expect the refineries to up and running in 2 months under APC? Give it 5 more months, the refineries will up and running. We will surely get there!
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by zicoraads: 11:37am On Aug 11, 2015
oloyede252:

SEE YOUR LIFE...OR YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN YOUR SLOGAN "GEJ DID IT"

your now telling me its not about who brought us here.........abegi kill yaself before you die o
Yes, GEJ was responsible for putting in the refineries into this present state. That is laudable. Now if he was still in charge, it would have been up to him to complete what he started to make it totally workable. He brought us here by walking miles...it is left for who is in charge now to complete that journey.

Kudos to GEJ for starting, and finishing what various administration before him refused to touch. It is left for Buhari to apply the final gloss and for you lot to hold the person who is in charge now responsible if any problems are encountered and not the one who has left.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 11, 2015
oloyede252:

madam you can lie for Africa @#100 feul small small now

so you mean all the gej did it,gej repaired our refinery is a scam.......
SEe Ya life
I bought fuel that amount oga, GEJ repaired the refineries but its still ongoing.

3 Likes

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by gabbytabby: 11:40am On Aug 11, 2015
#sulkingwailers
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by ocelot2006(m): 11:41am On Aug 11, 2015
PassingShot:

Who brought us here?

Do you seriously expect the fuel problem to be solved in ten weeks of this administration?

The fact remains that there is an improvement and the issue will finally be dealt with.

What improvement exactly?

1 Like

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by ocelot2006(m): 11:44am On Aug 11, 2015
dridowu:
When Buhari talk about improvement in refinery they (wailers) said it was hand work of GEJ now news on failure in refinery they blame it on Buhari. Haba hypocrite set of people. If the past government have done it right , any thing failure would not be in our dictionary , as at now i believe the present government is correcting the anomaly past government have caused the country.
Lest i forgot, i thought people like op does not believe in Punch, they call APC media , so what makes op believe this news now ?

And why won't we blame GMB? Isn't it his job to build on the successes of his predecessor? If GEJ can fix the refineries, yet the present administration still increases fuel importation, who's to blame? GEJ? Abeg get real.

2 Likes

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by Ephemmm: 11:45am On Aug 11, 2015
Sincere9gerian:
It seems we have a super-clueless govt that can't even manage ongoing projects inherited from it's predecessor

Since May 29, we've not been able to buy fuel at govt approved #87 in the whole of the south east and many other parts of the country. Prices fluctuates between #105 and 110. Even NNPC Mega stations now hardly ever have fuel. It seems we're back to the dark era (obj and yar adua era) when govt subsidized fuel for only Lagos and Abuja, while the rest of Nigeria should go and die.

In the last regime, we bought fuel at govt approved prices for the most part, except during general fuel scarcity. Using public fund to subsidize fuel for only Lagos and Abuja, and maybe a few other cities, cannot be said to be fair. It's either the subsidy goes round, as much as possible or they scrap it entirely. And it is possible to go round because it went round in the last regime, just that govt will have to pay more for fuel subsidy because more volumes will obviously be needed.

This govt should get down to work already and roll out it's programmes and policies rather expend energy and scarce resources on propaganda and trying to lay claim to projects and programmes of the last administration

The Manager in charge of the Production Programming and Quality Control, Kaduna Refining and Petrochemicals Company, Shehu Malami, had reportedly said that the refinery would save about $5.33m daily for the country when it hits 90 per cent production capacity in the first quarter of 2016.

Please always read between the line before opening your stinking mouth everywhere.
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by ocelot2006(m): 11:46am On Aug 11, 2015
dridowu:
When Buhari talk about improvement in refinery they (wailers) said it was hand work of GEJ now news on failure in refinery they blame it on Buhari. Haba hypocrite set of people. If the past government have done it right , any thing failure would not be in our dictionary , as at now i believe the present government is correcting the anomaly past government have caused the country.
Lest i forgot, i thought people like op does not believe in Punch, they call APC media , so what makes op believe this news now ?

And why won't we blame GMB? Isn't it his job to build on the successes of his predecessor? If GEJ can fix the refineries, yet the present administration still increases fuel importation, who's to blame? GEJ? Abeg get real.

5 Likes

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by Nobody: 11:46am On Aug 11, 2015
hmm....
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by oses4u(m): 11:47am On Aug 11, 2015
last week I bought pms at a non- NNPC station @ N87. I asked why they now sell at dat price they said it because the refinery in warri is working now. soon all petrol stations in warri will sell at that price. so lets be positive and support change.

1 Like

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by Nobody: 11:48am On Aug 11, 2015
PassingShot:

Who brought us here?

Do you seriously expect the fuel problem to be solved in ten weeks of this administration?

The fact remains that there is an improvement and the issue will finally be dealt with.
What progress ?!!

2 Likes

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by chudionu58(f): 11:51am On Aug 11, 2015
@Sincere 9igerian, how much is kero in your part of Enugu??
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by ojnnaco(m): 11:52am On Aug 11, 2015
funkybully:

They are lie muhammed students studying lieinology at APC school of propaganda

Lolxxxx.... Sounds so funny for a country like Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by rolchi(m): 11:56am On Aug 11, 2015
oses4u:
last week I bought pms at a non- NNPC station @ N87. I asked why they now sell at dat price they said it because the refinery in warri is working now. soon all petrol stations in warri will sell at that price. so lets be positive and support change.

But the news says that the...refineries were working but they had constraints in terms of supplying products to marketers.

He said, “For now, marketers go to where they think they can get the products easily without problems. The refineries are working, no doubt, but we know that the pipelines are not functioning properly because of vandalism. We are working with the Federal Government to see how we can connect, especially Aba and Enugu up to Makurdi.

Soon, a lot of things will fall in place. Considering what they are producing now, if the pipelines are not in order, then they will not be able to get products across. However, I’m sure that the new government, being a government of change, is working on this issue.”

Please, explain better? Do you mean only filling stations in Warri and its environs?
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by dridowu: 12:01pm On Aug 11, 2015
ocelot2006:

So GEJ fixes the refineries ? Yet the fuel importers was able to hold the whole nation to ransom in the month of May .
My brother talk beta tin make i hear. Failure in refinery was due to 16years of feedeefee
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by CSTR2: 12:03pm On Aug 11, 2015
major466:
Interesting. This report reminds me of Obasanjo, then Nigeria's President who made noise years ago that the country's power supply problems will be a think of the past by 2007. Well, instead of power situation getting better one year after 2007, it got worse. What really happened? OBJ embarked on constructing gas powered power stations without gas pipelines to feed them. grin That act was not only an embarassment to experts in the energy field but an act that smacks low IQ. What a project. It was like building a car without tires. How will it move
Juxtaposing the above with this article, the story confirms the theory that the completion date of TAM of all four refineries was actually scheduled for 2016. By then all underlying problems associated with the refineries especially matters of fixing broken oil pipelines would have been fixed and resolved amicably. But because the Buhari led APC administration are desperate for glory, with aim to decieve Nigerians that they are working because of fear of Buhari, they pressurized experts to backtract on the completion date of the refineries.
Stories began flooding the media that refineries will begin production in june 2015 instead of 2016 as originaly calculated by experts in the oil sector.
What is the gain of TAM of refineries if there are no oil pipelines to ship petroleum products to distributing stations What an embarassing situation.
It takes great effort to fix all the country's refineries and a bit more to repaire all broken pipelines that actually had been the bane of Nigeria's refineries for years.
This is what happens when politics is mixed with infrastructural development for cheap political point.
Exactly.
TAM of Nigeria's archaic and inefficient refineries would involve significant components upgrades and large scale replacement which would take atleast a year to begin to rectify.
I was surprised to hear that the refineries have suddenly been repaired.
Anyway, let us keep watching. Propaganda is not an engineering solution.

2 Likes

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by Nigel1: 12:05pm On Aug 11, 2015
Dear Nlanders,

The FEDP Forum is an initiative that envisions the collaboration of engineers (Oil, Gas, Power, Systems) around the world for the sole purpose of sharing industry/field-based challenges and problems as well as innovative ideas and solutions to both our national and global problems.

Side attractions include weekly quizzes that aim to sharpen the knowledge and skills of all forum members. First correct set of answers received weekly is rewarded with the cash prize of the week as advertised on the Forum's home page.

A platform for healthy and productive debates on topics across all spheres and disciplines is also provided.

For more information, please visit the FEDP Forum - http://fedpforum.epcmengineers.com.

TWITTER: FEDPForum
FACEBOOK: FEDP Forum

Regards,
Nigel K.

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by webhostbiz: 12:05pm On Aug 11, 2015
The new government is trying. In Akure by this morning most fuel station that sold petrol for N100 yesterday are now selling N87 this morning. Good move.
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by Nobody: 12:05pm On Aug 11, 2015
dridowu:

GEJ's government said the refineries would become fully operational in the first quarter of 2016,but APC folks carried propaganda and said the refineries are already working. Your people said GEJ was scamming Nigerians and that the refineries were working before. You claimed that's why they are suddenly working almost fully now even though the past government promised us first quarter of 2016.

So now, what is happening? How come we're being told 2016 again? So who has been lying to Nigerians, GEJ's govt or Buhari's?

APC.... Government of propaganda.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by Abbycite(m): 12:06pm On Aug 11, 2015
Busted! Another one from the All propaganda company. When d person that initiate d repair of refineries said it will be operational by 2016....and the usurper trying to form superhero said it will be operational in 2 months....

Nigerians are getting wiser by d day....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by Themandator: 12:08pm On Aug 11, 2015
OGOg:

Why is PMS still at 110 naira per liter despite the subsidy payment?
Has subsidy payment been stopped?
Anyone with answer should kindly explain
Cc.passingshot, israeliairforce

Depot owners wants to be on the safer side.... Subsidy is never paid until strike is threatened and when the fact that funding comes at a price from the banks, they are left with no other option but to first pass, the cost of borrowed fund to the secondary marketers while the wait for the government to come around to making payment last.

Whenever it comes, subsidy, it is then considered their super profit,for time, high blood pressure and the rest occasioned by government inefficiency.
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by wiseoneking: 12:09pm On Aug 11, 2015
Beremx:
Wailing TANoid, price of a litre of fuel in the southeast has never been the same price like what is being sold in other parts of the country since time immemorial. Why blaming it on Buhari?
besides,i thought you wailers said Jonathan repaired the refineries,why has the refineries refused to work as you claim?
I hate lies and liers. Are u from SE or are you living there to know that fuel price is been sold always more than #87 per litre.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by oloyede252(m): 12:14pm On Aug 11, 2015
zicoraads:
Yes, GEJ was responsible for putting in the refineries into this present state. That is laudable. Now if he was still in charge, it would have been up to him to complete what he started to make it totally workable. He brought us here by walking miles...it is left for who is in charge now to complete that journey.

Kudos to GEJ for starting, and finishing what various administration before him refused to touch. It is left for Buhari to apply the final gloss and for you lot to hold the person who is in charge now responsible if any problems are encountered and not the one who has left.

so you agree with me that gej is responsible for this current state@topic
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by Nobody: 12:15pm On Aug 11, 2015
Apc and their propagandists supporters just dey bobo the gullible ones sha.

3 Likes

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by oloyede252(m): 12:18pm On Aug 11, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
I bought fuel that amount oga, GEJ repaired the refineries but its still ongoing.
wow,can't believe it tho and no one is disputing the fact that gej repaired the refinery so why blame pmb for the current status we are now@topic

you see that hypocrisy is when you say gej did it and blame pmb for what gej did...or don't you think so?
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by Kx: 12:20pm On Aug 11, 2015
This is the kind of thread that brings out the best in FC Barca!
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by marvelyole(m): 12:21pm On Aug 11, 2015
Lies is what is killing this country,can any one for once be honest

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tinubu Speaks On Uzodinma’s Victory At The Supreme Court / Governor Umahi Visits Zipline Rwanda (photos) / Murray-bruce In ‘trouble’ Over Remark On Abacha’s Loot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.