Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail (32831 Views)

Subsidy Removal: PPPRA Pegs Naira At N298/$ For Fuel Imports / Foreign Suppliers Blacklist Nigeria From Fuel Imports / Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refinaries Fails (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by mrmetoo1: 2:35pm On Aug 11, 2015
When I told you guys to leave the wailers to take the credit for the refineries, some of you disagreed with me. Now most of them are now backtracking and saying this news is a failure of Buhari's government.

Just watch, if tomorrow another news headline reads "refineries now fully operational", they'll say it's GEJ that miraculously made it start working again.

Funny thing is, the headline is misleading because more was said in the bottom part of the article
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by ba7man(m): 2:35pm On Aug 11, 2015
fx45:
Stop deceiving people. Where did you buy the fuel? Even the NNPC Mega Stations that are supposed to pilot the N87 sales aren't selling any fuel. I have one a few poles away from my house, so I know what I'm saying. If you doubt me, I'll take pictures and upload
What do I stand to gain by lying?

I just bought fuel in my car for N87 and we were even laughing at the filling station for putting up the sign indicating cost.
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by chudionu58(f): 2:37pm On Aug 11, 2015
erico2k2:

ahah Dem go soon ask you howmuch you buy black oil too grin grin grin
Make una go check tell us nah! #170 here in Enugu.
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by DaBullIT(m): 2:37pm On Aug 11, 2015
erico2k2:

ahah Dem go soon ask you howmuch you buy black oil too grin grin grin

na dem know
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by Touchforfree(m): 2:47pm On Aug 11, 2015
PassingShot:

Who brought us here?

Do you seriously expect the fuel problem to be solved in ten weeks of this administration?

The fact remains that there is an improvement and the issue will finally be dealt with.

Pple failed to realise that issue of availability of fuel goes beyond d production alone, we Nigerians also contribute to d mess because according to d write-up, pipeline vandals are everywhere; so if d refineries are working, how will it be distributed when places like Arepo & others are there.

Let's all be patient and pray it comes out well.

IT IS WELL...
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by neocortex: 2:57pm On Aug 11, 2015
DaBullIT:
Goats

Work is ongoing in the refineries , nobody said it is operational , i think it was announced that it would be operational by end of August / September

and What if it's not , You are not happy that fuel now sells for 87 naira and its available everywhere??

Enemies of Progress

https://www.naij.com/466835-4-nigerian-refineries-to-commence-operations-next-month.html

Slowpoke , in the last two weeks you were busy celebrating the "achievement"
of Buhari, you claimed it is because they fear him , that is why the refinery is
now working.

See your life Buhari's bull.
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by neocortex: 3:00pm On Aug 11, 2015
9jii:

Miss leading Title to the people who don't read the details.
The news said things well get better b4 the end of 1st qtr of 2016.

And if your brothers decided to hike the price in the SE to blackmail this gov.its your problem completely.

And the Op must be igbo

Do you believe what you just wrote ?
I thought Buhari's body language has fixed the refinery.
You guys claiimed GEJ was lying about the 2106 date he gave,
now you have been forced to swallow your pride.

You need to bury your head in shame.

1 Like

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by 9jii(m): 3:03pm On Aug 11, 2015
neocortex:

Do you believe what you just wrote ?
I thought Buhari's body language has fixed the refinery.
You guys claiimed GEJ was lying about the 2106 date he gave,
now you have been forced to swallow your pride.

You need to bury your head in shame.
Even you, can't understand what u trying to say here
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by neocortex: 3:04pm On Aug 11, 2015
Sincere9gerian:

Buhari-phobia[b][/b] should have made it #87 by now

Meanwhile, why is this thread not worth front page?
Cc: lalasticlala

grin grin grin grin
You hit APC zombies where it pains.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by DaBullIT(m): 3:14pm On Aug 11, 2015
neocortex:

Slowpoke , in the last two weeks you were busy celebrating the "achievement"
of Buhari, you claimed it is because they fear him , that is why the refinery is
now working.

See your life Buhari's bull.

I knew one Erdyot will talk back , that's why i intentionally excluded the part where MINI POWER PLANT and other upgrades Sponsored by Buhari's administration out

Besides, the works were abandoned due to change of Administration, Buhari's administration renegotiated and paid the engineers, but you wouldn't know that now because you are a

Stewpyd

HeGoat
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by jekben(m): 3:28pm On Aug 11, 2015
You all should not worry buhari will probe the management of the refineries. At least he is good in probing without results
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by kjhova(m): 3:40pm On Aug 11, 2015
The post & the title is mischievous in every way and only the OP knows what he intend to achieve. My advice to all, please always avail yourselves of the readily available search engines before you hit the comment/reply keys. Some of these posters are banking on the premise that you are probably too stupid to read!

Nigeria has 4 refineries with overall refining capacity of 400,000bpd. Even at 100% functionality, the country can only produce about 7.6million litres of PMS per day compared to our estimated national consumption rate of 40mlpd! It means that even if PMB achieves all that is planned, 4 out of every 5 litres of petrol you buy in your car will still be imported!!

The refineries are being turned around & the improvement is being felt even if not by everyone yet. However, the way forward is investment in increased refining capacity which of course will cost enormous sums & will have lengthy gestation period. Imagine that we need 17 more refineries (assuming same capacities) to catch up with our current rate of consumption.

If Nigeria had not been rap.ed to death by the visionless kleptos who have governed us till date, this country should have a refining capacity of about 200mbpd and we should be a net importer of crude oil but the top supplier of refined products & lubricants to all of Africa & South America.
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by atlwireles: 3:45pm On Aug 11, 2015
When I told people to discount the lies of APC and NNPC as regarding the refineries, some called me names. Your refineries are stuck in the 1980s, only an idiot will attempt to refine petrol in Nigeria. It is a business not a social welfare program.

1 Like

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by ballee4: 3:48pm On Aug 11, 2015
i don't expect anything less from punch because all they are good at is punching lies and publishing mischievous news to the public. refining operation is not a simple operation just like cooking of food. refining operation is in stages, the stage for obtaining high yield of PMS known as petrol is the final stage of the refining operation. so we are getting there very soon and nobody said that it is going to take us a day to get there. so punch should please hold their punches to themselves.
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by fx45(m): 3:51pm On Aug 11, 2015
ba7man:

I just bought fuel in my car for N87 and we were even laughing at the filling station for putting up the sign indicating cost.
I guess you're not assuming that Lagos is all of Nigeria. Nigeria is a very big place my brother. Fuel is sold at N110 all over Eastern Nigeria. Make calls and ask questions. I have an NNPC Mega Station very close to my house. They hardly sell fuel. The smaller operators always have fuel and they sell at N110 and above. Figure out where the corruption comes from
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by chudionu58(f): 4:00pm On Aug 11, 2015
fx45:
I guess you're not assuming that Lagos is all of Nigeria. Nigeria is a very big place my brother. Fuel is sold at N110 all over Eastern Nigeria. Make calls and ask questions. I have an NNPC Mega Station very close to my house. They hardly sell fuel. The smaller operators always have fuel and they sell at N110 and above. Figure out where the corruption comes from
Funny how none of them have bothered telling us the price of kerosene!
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by Gboliwe: 4:02pm On Aug 11, 2015
Sincere9gerian:
It seems we have a super-clueless govt that can't even manage ongoing projects inherited from it's predecessor

Since May 29, we've not been able to buy fuel at govt approved #87 in the whole of the south east and many other parts of the country. Prices fluctuates between #105 and 110. Even NNPC Mega stations now hardly ever have fuel. It seems we're back to the dark era (obj and yar adua era) when govt subsidized fuel for only Lagos and Abuja, while the rest of Nigeria should go and die.

In the last regime, we bought fuel at govt approved prices for the most part, except during rare general fuel scarcity. Using public fund to subsidize fuel for only Lagos and Abuja, and maybe a few other cities, cannot be said to be fair. It's either the subsidy goes round, as much as possible or they scrap it entirely. And it is possible to go round because it went round in the last regime, just that govt will have to pay more for fuel subsidy because more volumes will obviously be needed.

This govt should get down to work already and roll out it's programmes and policies rather expend energy and scarce resources on propaganda and trying to lay claim to projects and programmes of the last administration
in the words of my friend Kalu he goes thus " Well it’s now August, we have no economic agenda, no finance team, no fiscal direction, and we are adrift economically.
The world around us is changing, and we can’t close our eyes or wait till September.
We have an economy built on crude oil, crude oil prices are now below $50.00, Iran sanction are about to be lifted. They have told OPEC they will seek their former markets back i.e. Asia. That is the same market Nigeria has been offering her oil at a discount to. Thus we will see a situation where Nigeria will struggle to find buyers for her crude oil and offer steep discounts to encourage buyers. This will affect our revenues.
As oil fall naira falls, the CBN measures amount to swimming upstream. The reality is naira as a commodity has lost value, and rational investors are selling naira to buy another product whose value is going up in stable. If CBN bans dollar people will buy gold, or handbags, it does not matter, the economic desire it to preserve value. Its not about the dollar exchange rate.
The stock market is in bear territory and approaching a depression. This has erased wealth from many households, pension funds and Insurance companies.
Non-oil Commodity prices are down, in 2013 Nigeria made $2.9b from non-oil exports, in 2014 we made $2.3b, output didn’t drop, prices dropped…thus we have to sell more output to even maintain or foreign exchange earnings. Should the impending flood from the release of water from the Cameroon dam be as bad as last year, we may have difficulties sustaining output.
Inflation is up, largely fueled by rising fuel prices and food prices. President Buhari say he won’t remove subsidy, but can Nigeria continue to use 40% for FX requests for petrol imports? We hear the refineries are soon coming back to stream, if the refineries are back 100% can we meet local petrol need? I hear we cannot.
With inflation up, interest rates might tend up, this will chock the SME further.
We hear a faint rumor VAT will go up to 10%...unconfirmed, we however remember Dr Kayode Fayeni said there will be “no new taxes” under Buhari but rather an expansion of the tax base.
So as at August we have a current account deficit caused by growth in imports, rising inflation, falling oil prices. What is our response?
Nothing…absolutely nothing
We have assembled no team, no council of experts to advise our president, or rather the president has not
The CBN can only do monetary measures they ant do fiscal. You can’t fight inflation by monetary measures alone
It may seem to the casual observer that the President believes he was elected to fight corruption.
Yes
He was also elected to provide jobs, grow the economy and make food cheaper
The clock is ticking…….the people are waiting……"

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by fx45(m): 4:07pm On Aug 11, 2015
chudionu58:
They won't!

Let me also burst their bubble... Kerosene sells for N160 per liter. Is that the change Nigerians asked for?
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by 1miccza: 4:19pm On Aug 11, 2015
DaBullIT:
Goats

Work is ongoing in the refineries , nobody said it is operational , i think it was announced that it would be operational by end of August / September

and What if it's not , You are not happy that fuel now sells for 87 naira and its available everywhere??

Enemies of Progress

https://www.naij.com/466835-4-nigerian-refineries-to-commence-operations-next-month.html

Bros does fuel sell for 87 naira in your area tell me oo cos it's about 100 to 120 here oo
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by 1miccza: 4:27pm On Aug 11, 2015
I don't know when our governments would learn to act before talking one would expect that an output increase would result to a reprieve for the masses,here we are having even more suffering with the so called increase in output.. What a sick country!!
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by DaBullIT(m): 4:38pm On Aug 11, 2015
1miccza:

Bros does fuel sell for 87 naira in your area tell me oo cos it's about 100 to 120 here oo

Yes as a matter of fact it does
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by 1miccza: 4:39pm On Aug 11, 2015
Gboliwe:
in the words of my friend Kalu he goes thus " Well it’s now August, we have no economic agenda, no finance team, no fiscal direction, and we are adrift economically.
The world around us is changing, and we can’t close our eyes or wait till September.
We have an economy built on crude oil, crude oil prices are now below $50.00, Iran sanction are about to be lifted. They have told OPEC they will seek their former markets back i.e. Asia. That is the same market Nigeria has been offering her oil at a discount to. Thus we will see a situation where Nigeria will struggle to find buyers for her crude oil and offer steep discounts to encourage buyers. This will affect our revenues.
As oil fall naira falls, the CBN measures amount to swimming upstream. The reality is naira as a commodity has lost value, and rational investors are selling naira to buy another product whose value is going up in stable. If CBN bans dollar people will buy gold, or handbags, it does not matter, the economic desire it to preserve value. Its not about the dollar exchange rate.
The stock market is in bear territory and approaching a depression. This has erased wealth from many households, pension funds and Insurance companies.
Non-oil Commodity prices are down, in 2013 Nigeria made $2.9b from non-oil exports, in 2014 we made $2.3b, output didn’t drop, prices dropped…thus we have to sell more output to even maintain or foreign exchange earnings. Should the impending flood from the release of water from the Cameroon dam be as bad as last year, we may have difficulties sustaining output.
Inflation is up, largely fueled by rising fuel prices and food prices. President Buhari say he won’t remove subsidy, but can Nigeria continue to use 40% for FX requests for petrol imports? We hear the refineries are soon coming back to stream, if the refineries are back 100% can we meet local petrol need? I hear we cannot.
With inflation up, interest rates might tend up, this will chock the SME further.
We hear a faint rumor VAT will go up to 10%...unconfirmed, we however remember Dr Kayode Fayeni said there will be “no new taxes” under Buhari but rather an expansion of the tax base.
So as at August we have a current account deficit caused by growth in imports, rising inflation, falling oil prices. What is our response?
Nothing…absolutely nothing
We have assembled no team, no council of experts to advise our president, or rather the president has not
The CBN can only do monetary measures they ant do fiscal. You can’t fight inflation by monetary measures alone
It may seem to the casual observer that the President believes he was elected to fight corruption.
Yes
He was also elected to provide jobs, grow the economy and make food cheaper
The clock is ticking…….the people are waiting……"

I am waiting for the defenders of the govt to refute this wonderful analysis,only someone who understands economics would know this... Some would only come down to threads like this to behave like defenders in a football team for the government, now the reality's staring us in the face,we have voted in a president that's contented with chasing thieves around the world than the real state of issues on ground,...... God help us all... I just hope that we all would survive 2 years into this government....

2 Likes

Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by 1miccza: 4:41pm On Aug 11, 2015
DaBullIT:

Yes as a matter of fact it does

Then you must either be living in the moon,outside the country,aso rock or you are clearly lying bro....
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by 1miccza: 4:43pm On Aug 11, 2015
chudionu58:

They won't the last time i bought kerosene it was 150 naira
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by ocelot2006(m): 5:03pm On Aug 11, 2015
DaBullIT:

I knew one Erdyot will talk back , that's why i intentionally excluded the part where MINI POWER PLANT and other upgrades Sponsored by Buhari's administration out

Besides, the works were abandoned due to change of Administration, Buhari's administration renegotiated and paid the engineers, but you wouldn't know that now because you are a

Stewpyd

HeGoat

Bros!!! You can lie oh!! Who did Buhari pay?! How much?! Jesu!! That's my problem with you APC supporters: you guys tend to make up A LOT OF CRAP online!! But this you lie ehn....Bros it stinks A LOT! Chai!
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by guntranno(f): 5:16pm On Aug 11, 2015
fx45:
Liar! Where? Which state? Fuel sells for N110 in every part of South East and South. I dont know about South West or the North

Why do you seems so aggressive?

I told you I buy fuel @ N87... You shld av asked your question of where before you start calling sm1 a Lair.

To make it clear, I reside in Abuja not Sautyeast nor sautsaut...
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by damsala(m): 5:38pm On Aug 11, 2015
[quote author=Sincere9gerian post=36834694]AUGUST 11, 2015 : OKECHUKWU NNODIM AND FEMI ASU

Despite claims that Nigeria’s refineries are now operational, the country will have to depend largely on imported petrol in the third quarter of 2015.

It was learnt on Monday that import allocation for petrol was given to importers of the product last week.

Our correspondent gathered that no refinery had been able to produce petrol in commercial quantity in the past weeks, despite claims by the operators of the facilities that they had started refining crude oil to produce petroleum products.

In fact, senior officials of the Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources and the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency told our correspondent in Abuja on Monday that tankers still headed for Lagos to load products.

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation last month announced that the Port Harcourt Refining Company was ramping up capacity to about 60 per cent of the 210,000 barrels per day of crude capacity, while production from the Warri Refining and Petrochemical Company had been projected to hit 80 per cent of its installed 125,000 bpd capacity.

The Manager in charge of the Production Programming and Quality Control, Kaduna Refining and Petrochemicals Company, Shehu Malami, had reportedly said that the refinery would save about $5.33m daily for the country when it hits 90 per cent production capacity in the first quarter of 2016.

But officials at the petroleum ministry and the PPPRA wondered why the refineries had yet to churn out products, particularly petrol, if actually they were operational as claimed.

An official at the ministry, who spoke to our correspondent in confidence, said, “Has any of the refineries stated the quantity of products that they are actually churning out? It is already known that Nigeria consumes an average of 40 million litres per day; so, if the refineries are working, then you can now say maybe they are producing about 20 million litres per day and you can now subtract that from the imports.

“We need to verify if indeed they have started churning out products, not just on paper. Just two weeks ago, they gave letters of allocation to importers to bring in products to meet the third quarter consumption demand.”

In his reaction, the National President, Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, Mr. Chinedu Okoronkwo, said the refineries were working but they had constraints in terms of supplying products to marketers.

He said, “For now, marketers go to where they think they can get the products easily without problems. The refineries are working, no doubt, but we know that the pipelines are not functioning properly because of vandalism. We are working with the Federal Government to see how we can connect, especially Aba and Enugu up to Makurdi.

Soon, a lot of things will fall in place. Considering what they are producing now, if the pipelines are not in order, then they will not be able to get products across. However, I’m sure that the new government, being a government of change, is working on this issue.”

Meanwhile, the daily subsidy on a litre of petrol has dropped to N33.86 from a high of N51.61 on June 11, 2015, pricing template by the PPPRA showed on Monday.

The PPPRA put the landing cost of the product at N105.37 per litre as of August 7, down from N123.12 per litre on June 11, while the Expected Open Market Price was N120.86 per litre, compared to N138.61 on June 11.

Subsidy refers to the money paid, usually by the government, to keep prices below what they will otherwise be in a free market system.

There have been calls in some quarters urging the Muhammadu Buhari-led government to remove fuel subsidy, which has been described as wasteful and prone to corruption.

Nigeria, Africa’s top oil producer, relies on importation for most of its fuel needs as the country’s refineries operate below installed capacity. The sustained fall in global oil prices has triggered the decline in the landing cost of petrol as crude oil constitutes a major component in the pricing template.

Last week, the global benchmark Brent crude plunged below the $50 per barrel mark, for the first time in six months.

Brent, against which Nigeria’s oil is priced, was trading at $49.86 per barrel on Monday.

Analysts at Ecobank Capital including the Head of Energy Research, Mr. Dolapo Oni, noted that the Federal Government had decided to retain its fuel subsidies at least for another quarter as the PPPRA had recently selected 29 petroleum marketers to import 1.6 million tonnes of petrol, approximately 2.1 billion litres, for the third quarter of the year.

They said, “The decision to retain the fuel subsidies is particularly surprising given the government’s fiscal position is significantly constrained by the drop in oil prices and difficulties in selling its crude.”

God is in control
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by chigoizie7(m): 5:56pm On Aug 11, 2015
The last thing I heard from the chairman of "chrome" the company responsible for fixing the refinery to working standard said that they"chrome" will finish their work on 1st phase to that it will enable the refineries to commence production towards the end of August,

Were did u people get the news that it has started refining?

Bunch of stup!d journalists. Cogent info ,una no fit source, fools.

See all these hungry fake lying bloggers, na them go spoil this country last last.
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by Gboliwe: 6:03pm On Aug 11, 2015
1miccza:

They won't the last time i bought kerosene it was 150 naira

The broom carrying witches won't tell you kerosene is literally "out of stock" in Nigeria. I was broke some two weeks ago and said to buy 10ltrs of kero as against refilling my 12.5kg cylinder. I figured it was cheaper till I got my feet back. I travelled far and wide looking for this essential commodity, I didn't find. I was forced to "borrow" from another allocation to refill my gas. Few days later, it started selling for N180 a litre. That's how much we have fallen
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by erico2k2(m): 6:27pm On Aug 11, 2015
ba7man:

what state and what area
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by erico2k2(m): 6:30pm On Aug 11, 2015
guntranno:

Why do you seems so aggressive?

I told you I buy fuel @ N87... You shld av asked your question of where before you start calling sm1 a Lair.

To make it clear, I reside in Abuja not Sautyeast nor sautsaut...
ABJ abi, let us wait and hear from ABJ people, we will confirm
Re: Massive Fuel Imports Continue As Refineries Fail by erico2k2(m): 6:33pm On Aug 11, 2015
DaBullIT:

Stewpyd

HeGoat
Mini power plant in two months??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"Fresh PDP, PDP First": Photo Of The New Factional PDP Secretariat In Asokoro / Sheikh Bello Yabo Mocks Buhari, Says Katsina Residents ‘stoned The Satan’ / Army Clears Boko Haram From 3 Villages In Borno State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.